Sur La Table Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sur La Table Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2018

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (San Francisco, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

the interview process was streamlined and fairly fast however they performed a background check and said they were interested in working things out but the district manager never followed through with his words and said i never contacted him when i left hime several messages they lost out on a great employee

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was screened over the telephone for about 30 minutes and invited in the following week for a more formal, one-hour interview. Both interviews took place on the weekend (store manager's choice, not mine).

The store manager was late for my in-person interview, then ducked into the back area and left me standing around on the sales floor for a few more minutes before returning. I almost walked off at that point because I already had a vision of how shabbily I'd be treated if I landed the job. But I stayed because I'd already prepared and taken the time from my precious weekend to be there.

The store manager didn't seem to have thought through exactly where we would conduct the interview, so he headed out into the mall with me. The limited seating there was already taken, so the entire interview was conducted with both of us uncomfortably perched on a window sill with many customers passing by and standing nearby and zero confidentiality and privacy. I found it quite unprofessional, but simply carried on as best I could.

When I left, I was told a decision would be made within days as to whom among the candidates would be getting an interview with the store manager's boss.

There was no follow up at all, though. I think if someone has taken time from two successive weekends to pursue a position and presented himself or herself professionally, s/he deserves at least to be contacted in a timely fashion with a decision. Based on the reviews here, it is not a particularly great company to work for in the first place. Finding capable, experienced people to work for little money cannot be easy in this environment. So why the arrogance and the unprofessionalism? Employment is a two-way street. Candidates are judging you just as you are judging them.

I thought the treatment was lousy, and I will never shop at Sur La Table or recommend the store to anyone simply as a way of registering my ongoing disapproval of my experience.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing innovative or unusual in the questions. Anyone with even a bit of experience will have heard these questions or variations on them many times.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Wayne, NJ) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the position and got a call from the General Store Manager a few days later to have a 30 minute telephone interview. He told me to come into the store for a face to face. During the interview, he asked me basic retail questions and how I dealt with conflicts as a manager. I came from having over 12 years of experience in a supermarket retail environment and 2 years in management, so I was going from a much much larger scale into a very small one with much less revenue and employees to deal with. The interview went very well and he told me he'd definitely tell his DM about me and that he would give me a heads up on when she'd call for a phone interview.

The next day the GSM calls me and tells me the DM is very busy and probably won't be able to call me until the end of the week. I say that's fine I'm free all day long. Finally the end of the week comes and still no call. But I do get a call from the GSM asking me if I'm getting any other jobs offers. That's really none of his business but being the honest person I am, I tell him no. He then goes on to tell me that the DM is "concerned" about my experience as a manager and that going from such a large business to a small one might be a challenge for me. Really? He then goes on to tell me he could get me a job as a Floor Lead for $13 an hour if I really wanted it. I said no I applied for management; I'm more than capable of running a store in the mall with 10 employees that gets as few customers as it does. I told him I'd like to speak to the DM. He tells me that's fine and that he'll call me next week to let me know again when the DM is going to call, since she's so busy.

The following week goes by and I hear nothing, so I called the store and asked for the GSM. He wasn't in so the person on the phone asked me if I'd like to leave a message. I was a bit hesitant because I did this once before and the GSM said he never got my message and that his employees never give him messages. That's nice. But I did anyway. Another week went by and I never heard back. It's been almost a month now since the interview and I see the job posting has been taken down. It's probably better for me; I'd rather not be involved in a company with such a lack of communication and teenagers in charge of a chef store that have no idea how to cook or bake.

Interview Questions

• Give one specific example of how you sold a product to a customer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

It was a very loose interview. The store Manager was very conversational. We discussed cooking, leadership and some product. We discussed some of the stores challenges and what I would do to impact them. I asked about training and product knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Living or dead, who would you cooking your favorite meal for? What's your favorite product in our store?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table in August 2015.

Interview

After filling out the online application and creating a profile the company communicates your info is received. Store Manager calls and asks you questions then asks for an in person interview. Then interview with district manager. Offer is then made to you.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you gave exemplary customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy. They explained the salary and benefits. The district manager makes the ultimate decision. In my case the salary was increased because of my background skills and experience. Yeah!

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

Phone call to set up phone interview. Phone interview was conducted. Called to set up in-person interview. Met with 3 Managers. Called to set up interview with more senior staff. Second in-person interview conducted. Called with regrets of no job offer.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Seattle, WA) in June 2009.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me for a phone screen with another recruiter. That recruiter was very nice on the phone and said he had a laid-back interview technique. He wanted to look through my resume and ask questions as they occurred to him. He asked what exactly I was doing at my current job. He asked where I've worked the longest. He was very nice about it but got the idea across that one might worry I was a job-hopper (who isn't switching jobs a lot these days? Particularly if you contract a lot as I do). I explained why jobs ended (layoffs, contract end dates, etc) and he was satisfied by that. The he asked about my salary expectations and when I told him, he said he needed to look up the numbers because they had a very specific headcount. Turns out the pay for the position was going to be $52k, much lower than I was seeking. He said if I'd said I wanted $54k he'd have brought me in for an interview for sure.

Interview Questions

• What do you do on your current job?   1 Answer
    • What interested you about the position?   1 Answer

The pay was only $52-54k per year.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I received an initial email about my application.
    I then received a call from the Store Manager for an initial phone screen.
    It was really to validate my experience and salary info.
    My initial interview was about an hour, and was followed up the following week with a 30 min. Terview by the DM.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my interest in cooking.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty straight forward process.
    I interviewed with the store manager and DM?

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Seattle, WA) in September 2014.

Interview

Panel style over 4 hours. Met with 9 people (1:1 and 1:2) for 30-45 minutes each, back-to-back. Primary challenge was scheduling a bio break.

Met with functional team managers across retail & tech groups. Most questions were situational "in this scenario, what would you do?"

Interview Questions

• If you had a team member who was not meeting his/her commitments, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stakeholders competing for priority/resources?   Answer Question
    • What type of methodologies have you used? Do you prefer waterfall or Agile and why?   Answer Question

Differences in current benefits could not be mitigated, however, I enjoyed the experience. I was treated with interest and respect.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. District Manager reached out to me to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, we met in person at the mall where the new store would be opening the following week. I was then coordinated by an executive assistant to interview with the Senior Vice President of Retail. I was then told that I would receive a phone call from the District Manager early next week. The phone call never came, so I called her a week after my interview with the SVP, after ringing about 4 times, the call was ignored and transferred to voicemail. 30 minutes later, I received a generic "Thank you for applying, we are pursuing other candidates" from their corporate HR team. After being told by an executive of the company that I would get a phone call, the way in which the matter was handled was quite unprofessional and lacking in decency. I can accept not receiving an offer and that's not why this was a negative experience. The lack of professionalism and decency of handling "difficult" conversations from field management is a red flag to potential growth and overall operational standards within the company. Should you need a consultant for business standards and SOP's, please do not hesitate to call me as that seems to be lacking with my experience with Sur La Table.