The Connor Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Connor Group Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

3.1

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Connor Group.

Interview

So far the interview process has been very accommodating and is progressing at a steady pace. There have been multiple phone interviews and I have had 1 interview in person. Everyone I have talked to have kept me informed about the process and what to expect next.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Dayton, OH).

Interview

very lengthy.
    step 1: phone interview with recruiter about previous work experience.
    step 2: phone interview with recruiter conducting a personality test.
    step 3: in person interview with senior management asking typical interview questions.
    step 4: in person interview with another member of management asking the same exact interview questions as the first interviewer.
    step 5: day in the field at a property nearby that typically lasts a few hours
    step 6: offer

Interview Questions

• typical interview questions.
      tell me about yourself
      what motivates you?
      what is your 5 year goal?
      why do you want to work here?
      what do you know about TGC?
      lots and lots more of these generic questions. so, be prepared to hear them all.
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Frisco, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through linkedin. 1st interview was on the phone with the recruiter going over the job and my past work experience. 2nd interview was also on the phone and was a personality test. But instead of being interviewed by my original recruiter I was interviewed by a recruiter in training. I was called back 10 minutes later to set up a video interview at one of there properties with a regional manager. I felt the video interview went well but I was contacted 2 days later through email that I didn't get the position by the recruiter in training. I kind of felt like a Guinea Pig because of the interview with the recruiter in training but it was a great learning experience which will help me find the right company for me.

Director of Debt/Acquisitions Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Connor Group.

Interview

TLDR; Do not waste your time unless you're a masochist.

Here is a summary of my experience, with what I found to be the most disturbing experience first.

I asked, "I noticed your company uses the phrase 'doing the right thing' on a blog post and the website. Can you tell me what that means to you?"

He nearly said "I don't know" before correcting himself and going on to tell a story about how employees pitched in on the weekend to help with cleaning/painting an apartment. He ended the response by implying if I didn't know what the right thing meant then I must be some kind of fool. It was clear to me he had never thought of this before. It told me the one thing I needed to know - they only care about money.

I've hired people, conducted interviews and phone screenings. I'm no savant but I know enough to be dangerous. I will say in all my interviews on both sides of the table, this is one I will remember as extraordinary. Extraordinary how a company would allow this recruiter to represent their brand so poorly. Extraordinary how they would trust this person to bring in director level positions, or anyone for that matter.

When I asked more about the role, he read straight from a piece of paper or script with no attempt to disguise it. His cell phone rang loud enough to cause me to stop speaking during the interview. I was interrupted multiple times and he addressed me as "man" in a poor attempt to make things more casual. The conversational flow was jerky. He had a strange way of pausing and seemed to be unfocused, like a person multitasking texting and walking. (Multitasking was something they wanted in the job - give me a break.)

The salary conversation started immediately in the call. It was the second or third question. After giving what I believed to be a reasonable range for the perceived role and responsibilities, the response was baffling. He nearly tripped over himself rushing to tell me it was way too much and suggested we end the call immediately. Naturally this caused me to believe that no matter what I said next, this guy didn't care. This is before we'd even talked about the role, requirements and my experience. His next question was to inquire about my current pay. After my reply, he then responded with a number that was barely above my current pay. It made me think this was some kind of lead generation call or their pay was somehow based on my current salary. Mind you, this is after he told me the expectation was a six-day work week, strict start time, and at least 50 hours/week.

So, was my pay range out of bounds? No, for two reasons. One, I checked review sites and the evidence is plainly there. Two, after I back peddled and kept the call going, I learned about the responsibilities and the decisions involved. This position reported to the CFO and owner, with at least one direct report. (The recruiter was almost offended that I asked the makeup of the team so I don't know exactly how many.) The requirements and responsibilities did not fit the pay. They are either lying or crazy.

In closing, I don't feel good leaving a bad review. I've never done this on Glassdoor before. I did not progress to a further interview stage so I don't know if this is a bad apple or the whole lot. However, I invoke you to read reviews from their customers that they care so much about "doing the right thing" for and see for yourself. The BBB website is littered with complaints. In fact, 100% of reviews on BBB are negative.

I'm gainfully employed so I'm not a disgruntled keyboard warrior out for revenge. I am happy I was not called back and I would have shared this post with that person. If the point of this call just was a first date, then it achieved the purpose. But it was a painful way to do it. I can only think if I were a leader in this company I would want to know about these things. My one experience with this company has been spectacularly negative. I've shared my experience now with 7 other people, who all have a tainted view now. To me, that's important.

Interview Questions

The Connor Group Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

TLDR: Thank you for your feedback on the phone screen you had with us. Most people appreciate these quick 10 - 15 minute phone screens to ensure things like scope of job, hours, travel, pay, etc ... More

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Connor Group.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn and had a brief phone conversation about the overall job description of the job and also we discussed my work history and my skill set. The recruiter explained the of hours and job responsibilities. Based on our conversation I was then scheduled for another phone interview with another member from the company and it took roughly about 35 minutes. Not your traditional interview more short answers and some examples were required. Things went well and I am currently waiting to be scheduled for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

The Connor Group Response

Feb 3, 2017 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your interest, appreciate your feedback.

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Cary, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

I'm an highly qualified applicant that usually interviews really well and receives positive feedback. I went through 3 steps of interview processes TWICE with The Connor Group and both times the 3rd interviewer did not communicate after the interview to even say "Sorry you did not get the position" even after me sending a thank you email and following up twice. Very poor business practice and quite frankly rude and a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

The Connor Group Response

Mar 25, 2017 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Sorry to hear we were not a fit for each other. Our interview process is very unique and designed to find candidates that will have long-term success with our company. We do understand that we ... More

Director of Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Connor Group (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a telephone interview. The hours would be 8-6 M-F and two Saturdays a month because the CEO works every Saturday in the office. The recruiter knew details on many positions but lacked details for this given position including metrics this position would be accountable for upholding, the number of direct reports, biggest challenges needing to be resolved. However, they knew this information for other positions. It seemed that other reports here were accurate in the number of hours required making it seem that there lacked work/life balance. Was told that people are promoted based upon meeting metrics, which was a response to my question on succession planning. I respect that they know what they want in employees and their culture is clearly outlined, but I am not in alignment with that direction. This, though, is how it should be. When both sides can recognize there is no culture fit, you know both sides have a clear vision for what they want in a company.

The position would require about a week of travel a month and would require analyzing the current training program and making modifications. Was told the training program is well developed and mostly hands-on/in person. They sparingly use online options. I am still unsure who does the actual training as when I asked about Regional trainers, the recruiter went into detail about regional managers.

Overall, this interview accomplished what it should accomplish. It provided me ample details to make a decision. As well, I hope I did the same.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep your employees accountable?   1 Answer
    • Describe your workday and how long you work.   1 Answer

Jan 26, 2017 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your interest and feedback. Best wishes to you in your professional career.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Dayton, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

The most unique and interesting process I have ever been though. Started with a phone interview, then some type of structured interview. After that, I did two interviews via their web conference video system and then one in person. All of those questions where the same but no one knew the answers. I moved on to the final stage which was spending the entire day at a property watching what sales people do. The next day my recruiter called me and gave me an offer. Although a lengthy process, I felt pretty sure this was a great fit by the time it was over.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your successes in selling.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miamisburg, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Miamisburg, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a very thorough process and had several steps, but it flowed very smooth. There was great communication with the recruiting department through the whole process. The Connor Group doesn't just choose someone because they have an opening, they choose the right fit for The Connor Group, no matter how long the search for the right person takes to find.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Connor Group (Nashville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

First interview was phone about 10 minutes. 2nd interview was a video interview on the property, as well as 3rd interview. All questions were the SAME. Did a day in the field, where you shadow a sales person on the property. I think they have some serious integrity issues. Calling and harassing potential residents every 24 hours. If they don't answer they will call from different numbers or call from a blocked number. I come from 10+ years of sales but that was something I'm not comfortable with doing. They also have a skewed view of specific races and spoke negavitively of a majority of their residents. As a person shadowing the company, I was very upset about their views of certain races. They are incredibly pushy and don't actually care about their residents. They just care about numbers.

After the day in the field (which is ALL DAY), they offered me $33k which was $7k LESS than what was discussed in all 3 interviews. They countered and increase it by $.75 an hour. But NOWHERE close to what they promised in all 3 interviews. It was a waste of my time and a slap in my face for my experience and education.

I wouldn't recommend this company at least not in TN. They are only concerned with numbers and not their residents. They definitely have some integrity issues that I'm not willing to compromise on.

Interview Questions

• Do you think metrics are the best way to measure success?
      Do you like changing other people's minds?
      Do you think pushing someone into doing something for their own good is okay?
      Answer Question

Nov 28, 2016 – Vice President of Talent Acquisition

I’m sorry to hear we had a misunderstanding about the pay structure. We offer base plus performance pay; at the average performance payout, you would have been well above your salary requirements ... More