The Zappos Family Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated Sep 30, 2018

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2011.

Interview

Very friendly and informal. Included meeting team members and socializing after work. Good to see that they are looking for more than great marks on a piece of paper.

Interview Questions

• If I was to interview all your bosses over the last 10 years what would they say are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Photo Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Shepherdsville, KY) in May 2012.

Interview

There were four interviewees and five interviewers. We each had five minutes with each one and then they would ring a bell and we would rotate! They called it speed interviewing. The questions were beyond silly with one serious question thrown in ever five minutes. It was obvious they had not read my resume or application. It was frankly difficult not to walk out. Then I was told a week later I was not hired because I was not Humble.

Photographer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Shepherdsville, KY) in January 2012.

Interview

I participated in the speed interview process for the photographer assistant position, and I actually really enjoyed it. I believe there were four interviewers and four interviewees. We spoke with each interviewer for five minutes and a bell would ring and we'd go to the next one. Each interviewer had a different categories/set of questions. This was clearly to see how you interact with different types of personalities. I really liked everyone I interviewed with, and I really enjoyed the company culture. I felt totally comfortable and confident about my interview, so I was surprised and disappointed when they contacted me a few days later to say I didn't get it, without offering a reason. Having said that, even though I didn't get the job, it was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had and I wish it could have lasted longer than 20 minutes.

A few things of note: I originally applied for this position in September of 2011. They didn't reply until November of 2011. In December, they had me fill out a long form application and take a personality test. I didn't interview until January of 2012. It was quite a drawn out process.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about skinny jeans?
      Mullets: hot or not?   Answer Question

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2013.

Interview

The culture at zappos is key to getting in the door. The first "interview" will be via the Internet and it will be a timed and recorded interview via webcam where they ask you a question, give you a moment to collect your thoughts and then record your answer--once recorded you can not go back and change your answer --I was asked 4 untraditional questions. "Describe your perfect weekend" "what would be your theme song"

Interview Questions

• Which one of their "core values" would be most difficult for you to uphold   Answer Question

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2010.

Interview

Whole Process took about 40 days
    1.Basic telephone Screening
    2.Online coding challenge
    3.Telephonic Technical Interview
    4.Full day of onsite interviews.

All the rounds are easy..onsite interviews test all your skills problem solving,design,algortihms and coding..
    The coding challenge at the very end of your onsite interview process is little challenging because you would be mentally exhausted by then

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

24 Hrs coding challenge.
    HR interview
    Telephonic interview
    Onsite interview

I applied online and I got a 24 Hrs coding challenge next day. 24 Hrs coding challenge was related to consuming their REST URLS and implement some Algorithms. I developed a NetBeans maven based web project using custom MVC (Servlet centric approach), used Jersey client API's, URL API's, some business service components, Controllers and presentation pages.
    I was selected in 24 Hrs coding challenge.

Next step was HR telephonic interview - It was 30 mins non-technical interview. More focused on their company culture and core values. I was selected in HR telephonic interview.

Next step-A technical phone interview with 3 Technical people- They asked me about my previous and current projects.

Some basic Java questions- Interfaces, Abstract classes, Some design patterns some programming in a Shared Document. Exception handling Some SQL related questions & SQL Queries.

One program was one basic series program- I solved recursively. They asked me a little bit about breaking condition and time complexity.

Questions related to overloading and overriding.

Basics of Object Oriented Programming.

Some String related questions- Reverse a String

Database - Some questions related to Database normalization and Some database quarries.

My interview went well and interviews told me my interview was good and they want to see me for F2F interview and HR will contact you for next steps to come to Vegas for F2F. I was excited because everything went well. Unfortunately I got a rejection email. I tried to contact them but there was no reply from their side.

During telephonic interview there was heavy disturbance in the communication line. It was very difficult for me to understand what they were saying.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

For 24 Hrs coding challenge- Focus on architecture of the application before writing the code and spend some time on Algorithms, make components independent and reusable, create a documentation for APIs usage, add description of components and usage in your project in the document. Write your code as simple as possible.

For String related questions
    Split function.
    Reversing in 3 ways , Looping, use a method of StringBuffer and the best solution implement your own Stack Data Structure.

For Database related questions-Focus on Limit, Union and Sub Queries.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

Phone screen followed by in person interviews. In person interviews consist of 4-5 rounds of 1-2 people per round. Most of the questions are VERY easy. In fact I was told to stop interviewing here due to asking too difficult of questions ( Asymptotic runtime analysis for example was considered "too hard")

Interview Questions

• Probably like count the words in a book, or reverse a string.. very simple stuff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

get a phone call from Hr and receive a test. This is to use Zappos api to implement the image downloading stuff.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I went through a full day interview process, with 2-3 people interviewing per hour. There were logic questions, coding on whiteboard (algorithms and SQL), and design questions. There were a couple slots where it was just general questions and talking about previous projects, which was a nice break from having to code all the time. They also throw in a culture interview with the HR rep at some point in the day as well.

Interview Questions

• Interesting unexpected questions to see if you're a "culture fit"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in August 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with one of their cultural fit members for about an hour, then had several interviews with developers from various teams.

Interview Questions

• There are two ropes, each rope takes 1 hour to burn. But either rope has different densities at different points, so there’s no guarantee of consistency in the time it takes different sections within the rope to burn.   1 Answer