The Zappos Family Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Interviews at The Zappos Family

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2011.

Interview

Very friendly and informal. Included meeting team members and socializing after work. Good to see that they are looking for more than great marks on a piece of paper.

Interview Questions

• If I was to interview all your bosses over the last 10 years what would they say are your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Photo Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Shepherdsville, KY) in May 2012.

Interview

There were four interviewees and five interviewers. We each had five minutes with each one and then they would ring a bell and we would rotate! They called it speed interviewing. The questions were beyond silly with one serious question thrown in ever five minutes. It was obvious they had not read my resume or application. It was frankly difficult not to walk out. Then I was told a week later I was not hired because I was not Humble.

Interview Questions

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Photographer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shepherdsville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Shepherdsville, KY) in January 2012.

Interview

I participated in the speed interview process for the photographer assistant position, and I actually really enjoyed it. I believe there were four interviewers and four interviewees. We spoke with each interviewer for five minutes and a bell would ring and we'd go to the next one. Each interviewer had a different categories/set of questions. This was clearly to see how you interact with different types of personalities. I really liked everyone I interviewed with, and I really enjoyed the company culture. I felt totally comfortable and confident about my interview, so I was surprised and disappointed when they contacted me a few days later to say I didn't get it, without offering a reason. Having said that, even though I didn't get the job, it was one of the best interview experiences I've ever had and I wish it could have lasted longer than 20 minutes.

A few things of note: I originally applied for this position in September of 2011. They didn't reply until November of 2011. In December, they had me fill out a long form application and take a personality test. I didn't interview until January of 2012. It was quite a drawn out process.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about skinny jeans?
      Mullets: hot or not?   Answer Question

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV) in May 2013.

Interview

The culture at zappos is key to getting in the door. The first "interview" will be via the Internet and it will be a timed and recorded interview via webcam where they ask you a question, give you a moment to collect your thoughts and then record your answer--once recorded you can not go back and change your answer --I was asked 4 untraditional questions. "Describe your perfect weekend" "what would be your theme song"

Interview Questions

• Which one of their "core values" would be most difficult for you to uphold   Answer Question

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2010.

Interview

Whole Process took about 40 days
    1.Basic telephone Screening
    2.Online coding challenge
    3.Telephonic Technical Interview
    4.Full day of onsite interviews.

All the rounds are easy..onsite interviews test all your skills problem solving,design,algortihms and coding..
    The coding challenge at the very end of your onsite interview process is little challenging because you would be mentally exhausted by then

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

I took an online coding challenge which consisted of only one question, then a virtual interview for behavioral questions. After that, I was flown to Vegas! Overall, they were very quick to respond and seemed to make a good impression on me - they were friendly and seemed extremely enthusiastic about their work.

Interview Questions

• If you were on a deserted island, what two things would you bring?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (San Francisco, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Round 1 was a phone interview with the hiring manager. That was the pretty standard easy interview that gets your foot in the door at any company. Nothing too difficult was asked, it's mostly about gauging your interest and hearing about the job.

Round 2 is the tricky bit. It's a HR interview that tries to figure out if you're the physical incarnation of their fabled company values. If I were you, I'd have a story ready for each one of them because the interviewer expects you to ramble on and hang yourself if you don't have good answers. I've never talked to a shrink but I got a feeling it is very similar. They ask a lot of deceptively simple questions whose answers probably don't really matter on the surface.

I think round 3 is a technical phone screen; round 4 is a in person interview, and round 5 is a flight to the mothership.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you've been doing and what was your favorite project.   1 Answer
    • On a scale of 1-10 how weird are you?   1 Answer
    • If you could be a superhero which one would you be and why? You can't pick superman, batman, or spiderman.   Answer Question
    • Rate yourself from 1-10 on technical skill X and why?

Some of the topics were XHTML, server programming, javascript, hand coding (as opposed to what? feet coding???)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in July 2010.

Interview

i had a phone call with an HR person to start. That followed with a phone call with two engineers who gave me basic programming questions and experience probing. Then I was flown into their headquarters for a full day of interviews. The day started at 8a with an hour long tour of the facilities (which is quite the experience), then starting at 9a i had a series of interviews with two people rotating in every hour. At noon I went to lunch with several people (which iI found out afterward was actually part of the interview) and the interviews continued in the afternoon. These interviews were very technical in nature including logic problems, whiteboard coding and even coding a solution in Java on a computer. The day ended with standard HR interviews to make sure I wasn't a serial killer or whatever.

Interview Questions

• Describe an example of a project you were on that failed and why did it fail.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Zappos Family (Henderson, NV) in January 2011.

Interview

I applied online to this position as i have a very good background and experience with the technologies listed in the job description. I have been contacted by an HR person who went over my resume and she told me they want me to take a code test. We also discussed other typical HR questions. According to the outcome, they may or may not make a phone screening. I accepted the code test which took less than an hour. I sent them a working and tested java code, and gave the most reasonable answers to other java questions, but they did not follow up. I believe I don't fit their cooperate "culture".

Interview Questions

• A Java class called Example has the following attributes: String name, int id, String description, List<String> comments. Write a method that takes an instance of the Example class as an argument and returns true if both instances are equivalent at the attribute level. Getters and setters are available for each attribute. Once added, will this method be sufficient to use Example as a key value in a Map? If not, what else is required?   1 Answer
    • In a standard SQL query, it is necessary to retrieve rows where the column id is equal to 2, 4, 6, and 8 in the item table. Give two ways in which these values can be searched for without using IN. Explain the pros and cons of each way.   Answer Question
    • In your own words, explain why a class such as String cannot be extended. Why would you want to do this in your own code and how would you do it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

1st call HR basic HR related questions
    2nd call 24 hr coding test