United Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then in person interview. Phone interview was about half an hour, conversational but structured with behavioral interview questions. In-person interview in Chicago was with two separate sales managers - both very nice guys! Similarly conversational but with behavioral structure.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

I did horrible on the video interview. It is extremely challenging to talk to a computer and not to a live person. I received the email to do the video interview on June 7th. I did the video interview on June 8th. We are now June 10th and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm just in limbo right now. I would like to know either way. Just wondering if anyone has done a video interview lately and heard back. Thanks

Interview Questions

• I don't remember all the interview question   66 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very structured. I applied online and within a week I received an invitation to complete an OnDemand interview via HireVue. Suggestions for HireVue: Be in a well-lit area. My suggestion is to use as much natural lighting as possible. Be well-dressed. Research the company and see how the flight attendants dress for the particular company, and emulate that! The HireVue questions were behavioral questions. Everything I read on GlassDoor has been accurate! Within 4 days, I received an email inviting me to Newark, NJ for a Face-to-Face interview. I was beyond excited! When you call, the booking department will ask you the closest airport. I told her mine, and the flight is free, but please be aware you are usually not a "must-ride" passenger in instances like this. My case, I get to my closest airport with plenty of time to spare. The plane begins boarding. I board the plane and am in my seat. A gentleman from United walks on the plane and calls my name and says the flight is overbooked and I had to get off. I take my carry-on and exit the plane. I was a little stressed at this point. I go inside and wait for the counter to clear so I could talk to the desk agent, and they said the next flight leaves at 10pm (which I would have gotten to Newark at 11 ish), or you can go to another nearby airport and the plane departs in two hours! For a moment, I began to panic thinking I am never going to make it. I was not extremely familiar with the DC Metro stations, nor the other airport. However, I thought to myself, this is all part of the interview...staying cool, calm, and collected during a crisis! I managed to hustle through the DC Metro stops and navigate around. Got to my other airport and through security with about 10 minutes to spare! At this point, I was joking around the gate agent because of the mental meltdown I was having haha! I get on the plane and fly to Newark. Check-in to my hotel. The morning of the interview! Newark is an extremely busy airport! Give yourself plenty of time to get the gate pass and get through security--you do NOT want to be late. I was there a little after 7 and was seated with fellow interviewees by 8 (luckily)! Get to know your fellow applicants! Everyone is nervous, everyone is going through the same thing. Talk, be jolly, and have fun. It helps ease the nerves. Exactly at 9 am, the Inflight Recruiters came to get us! We went to the United building and were checked in. We were all briefed on United and they called the first 6 for interviews. While the others are in the interview, talk and be jolly with the other applicants. Take your mind to a less stressful place, but review some questions and answers in your head, too! My name was called, and I was nervous! The lady who did my one-on-one interview was nice, genuine. The interview was by far the best experience I have ever had! This one took about 45 minutes and it was basic behavioral questions, if/then questions, and we reviewed my resume. We were finished and we walk to the hall (I assumed I was finished), she said, I actually want my colleagues to meet you, so I am going to put you in this room with a few other applicants. I felt good! Talked to the few others in the room with me and they slowly leaving for the second interview. My name was called again and the ladies were nice and genuine again. I went to a very small room with them and they asked me basically the same questions. They said they had to step out and review a few things on my resume and they would be back. I sat in the room and about 5 minutes later, they walked through the door and said, "after reviewing you resume and answers, we have enough information to offer you the job today." Of course, I accepted the offer! The offer is contingent on drug, vision, and hearing tests, as well as passing the training! I leave for training August 30! They took me to the clinic onsite and I completed my drug, hearing, and vision tests!

Some good things to remember: SMILE, POSTURE, CONFIDENCE, RESEARCH THE COMPANY, PRACTICE QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS! Browse through this site and read the questions other people were asked--it helped me tremendously! Research the company! Know the company! They want someone who can be invested into the company! Be confident!

Good luck! It was an incredible experience and I cannot wait to begin my new life in the air!

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
    I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
    After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
    It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
    I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   9 Answers
    • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   3 Answers
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied: July 21st
    Video interview: July 22nd
    Replied to video interview: July 24th

(Five questions for video interview & five days, including weekends to respond)

Currently waiting for a reply to my video interview, will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for United Airlines and how will you represent the brand?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you we're proud of your job.   5 Answers
    • Is there anything else you would want United to know about your qualifications?   1 Answer
    • How will your past experience prep you for United?   2 Answers
    • What situation do you wish you would've handled differently?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

I just completed the video interview for the 2018 flight attendant position. The reviews on here helped tremendously and every question I practiced for was on the interview. There are 5 questions, with 3 practice questions that you can practice as many times as you'd like, they are all included in the real questions, just worded differently.

I will add the questions so it may help any of you still waiting to take yours. Good luck to everyone and I'll update if I receive a F2F!

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation you wish you would have handled differently.   Answer Question
    • Name a time at work you were most proud of and why was it important.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about United and how will you represent the brand?   Answer Question
    • How has your past experience help you prepare for this position?   4 Answers
    • Is there anything you'd like United to know about your qualifications?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I made a vow that when I get hired as a flight attendant, I will help others out in the best way that I can so read on! I will provide some very helpful info:

I applied for United Airlines 2018 batch. The whole process took 3 months although I think the process moves quickly now since training will start early next year.

RESUME: Make sure to highlight your customer service experience. Keep it short and simple and don't attach a photo!

VIDEO INTERVIEW: (For women) keep your make up light, wear red lipstick, and put your hair up in a bun like a flight attendant would do. Wear a white polo shirt and a blazer even if only your headshot can be seen. Review all the interview questions you can find here on Glassdoor! Avoid cliche buzzwords and just use the important ones. Make sure you emphasize that you prioritize the safety of the customers in whichever way you can relate your answers to that. DON'T FORGET TO SMILE AND MAKE EYE CONTACT TO THE CAMERA. Be audible and speak clearly. Make sure you have good lighting.

F2F INTERVIEW: If you made it to this round, congratulations! They will either fly you in or you might have to drive to United's training center in Houston, TX. Interview starts at 8:30 so for the former, you need to fly in the day before.

IMPORTANT PHYSICAL REQS FOR WOMEN:
    1. Wear a professional attire: White long sleeved shirt, black blazer, black skirt/pants, three-inched closed toe black heels

2. Put your hair up in a bun with lotsa lotsa hair spray.

3. Wear studs or pearl earrings

4. Wear red lipstick

5. For those who will wear a skirt, wear nude panty hose

6. Clean your nails and paint it either red or french tips (no other color!!!)

Don't forget to bring a copy of your resume. Interact with your fellow applicants the moment you get in (it can calm the nerves and I heard United recruiters observe how you are around people) Listen very attentively to the orientation then try to ask during the Q&A so they can see your genuine interest.

DURING THE 1-on-1 interview: RELAX! The interviewer is very nice. They will be going through your resume, ask you some behavioral and situational questions and make you read a spiel like what Flight Attendants announce during an actual flight. MAKE SURE TO GO THROUGH THE SAMPLE QUESTIONS HERE ON GLASSDOOR BECAUSE IM 100% SURE YOU'LL BE ASKED ANY OF THOSE GIVEN QUESTIONS.

After the interview which lasted 10-15 mins, you will be put in a holding room along with your fellow applicants who are also done with theirs. After a while, if you do get in, a United rep will ask you to come over to another room, go through the job responsibilities very briefly with you again and confirm if you're okay with everything. Then, they will give you a conditional job offer!!! There you go, congratulations.

You will be then directed to fill out paperwork, then off to the shuttle you go for the medical exam which will be held in United's medical clinic at the airport.

The exam consists of drug test (drink enough liquid otherwise, you will need to wait 3 hrs to have your turn again,) hearing test, vision test, and another test I forgot the name of. For the vision test, if you are not confident you have a 20/40 vision, you can wear your eyeglassed or contact lenses.

The whole thing took me 3 hours or so. Best of luck to all the candidates!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Was there a time you didn't agree to a new policy at work?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Apply online, video interview, face to face interview is the basic steps. United moves very fast in their recruiting process so be prepared. Be yourself and practice in front of a mirror so it seems natural for your video interview. If they like you based on your video interview they will fly you to do a face-to-face interview the day before, all hotel costs and transportation costs are on you. You will be brought into a presentation room where you go over the in's and out's of the role and pay, etc. After that you are pulled out in pairs of twos or maybe by yourself into a smaller room with other candidates for a one on one interview. My interview was ridiculously fast, I was shooting off answers left and right- part of it will you reading an PA announcement and then dealing with a situation where a person won't put their laptop away. After the interview you are told they either may need more info or not but are usually escorted into another room with another candidates. I was called out of the room shortly after to meet with two other recruiters who discussed more of the "real life" of the role of a FA and asked me some more questions. They offered me the CJO on the spot! I was sent to fill out some basic forms in a room nearby, sent to the airport to the clinic to do a vision, hearing and drug screening. I'll know more about a training date soon but its important to remember they are hiring for classes between Jan-March 2018.

If you have tried in the past and weren't successful (not everyone who interviews is) just remember that you shouldn't give up. This was my second time interviewing and I learned some of my mistakes from before.

Interview Questions

• Describe a policy at work you didn't agree with, how did you handle it?   6 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Honolulu, HI) in August 2017.

Interview

The online video interview process was easy just as long as you studied and read the questions on Glassdoor. Waiting to hear a response about my video interview and the remaining hiring process.

Interview Questions

• These are all verbatim questions...#1. Tell us about your experience in customer service and how it has prepared you to become a united airlines flight attendant?   1 Answer
    • #2. Tell us about an experience at work that you are most proud of?   Answer Question
    • #3. Tell about a situation you wish you had handled differently at work?   Answer Question
    • #4. How do you describe the United brand and how would you represent it?   Answer Question
    • #5. This is the final question. Is there anything else you would like united to know about your qualifications?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

This is in regards to the F2F ( FACE TO FACE ) interview process. From the moment you arrive at the building it is very important to walk in with a smile and be kind and courteous to EVERY single person you meet. Do not be judgmental of anyone you see or come in contact with. it is VERY true , they are watching. A recruiter will come and get you from the reception desk , lead you to a room to put your luggage, and then show you to the presentation room with other candidates. I cannot stress enough how important it is to SMILE and interact with other candidates and have a positive attitude. DO NOT HAVE YOUR CELLPHONE OUT WHATSOEVER. Don't even put it on silent, just turn it off. Even when you are waiting to be called upstairs for your interview, just don't touch your cellphone at all. Recruitment will call names one by one and provide you with a name tag and ask you for a copy of your resume . SO PLEASE come prepared. They will then do a presentation of themselves, and then a presentation of what the flight attendant position entails. They will open up the floor for questions, don't be afraid to raise your hand HIGH and ask a question , but also don't be long winded, there will be PLENTY of time to ask your individual recruiters questions once you have your one on one interview. After presentation is complete , they will either call you out two at a time or one a at time , but your interview will be ONE ON ONE , or one recruiter will ask questions , and another one will just be shadowing and listening. Interview room is kind of set up like a call center ( if you've ever worked in one , there's like small cubicles) so you will hear the other people around you. But just focus on your interviewers questions, look directly into their eyes . and please smile . While waiting to be called for your interview DO NOT get caught up in possible negativity of others around. Solely focus on your positive attitude. If this is your dream job , then be confident, positive , and friendly. but DO NOT fake it , trust me they can tell. JUST BE REAL AND SHOW YOUR PERSONALITY . When answering your questions , use situations based on your past experiences , relate everything to your resume. they will ask situational and behavorial questions. and yes , ALL the question they ask are on Glassdoor ! As far as attire is concerned , if you want the job LOOK THE PART. Ladies: Low Bun , Red Lipstick, Pearl Necklace, stud earrings , Short Nails ( French, red, or pink only ), LOTS of hairspray no flyaways. Blue Dress with Black Blazer AND STOCKINGS or Black Pant Suit with white button down , BLACK leather heels no higher then 3 inches with black trouser socks. Gentlemen: WELL FITTED Black Suit with a TIE, black nice clean leather shoes ( no scuffs), Clean cut. Once your one on one is complete . They will lead you to a conference room , you will sit and wait to be called by another person. You will meet with two other recruiters who will just ask you to discuss more about yourself and your background , and possibly one more situational question. once again BE HONEST AND SMILE. Smile to your cheeks hurt ! lol After that they will walk you down to the shuttle where you will be sent to the airport. Do not be concerned if a CJO ( Conditional Job Offer ) is not offered on the spot , they will send you an email telling you Yes or NO. They are looking for REAL , honest , and personable people. This job entails skills that require you to have a high level of intelligence, having a passion for service , leadership skills, and safety and security. Make sure to mention all of those things, and relate them to your past job experiences. Smile , be yourself , have fun . Also come prepared with snacks , water , etc. You will be there for a while dependent upon the amount of people that will be there on your interview date. ( key words to use during interview : Flexible , Dependable , Confident , Compassionate, Adaptable , Strong Leader , POSITIVE , Passionate , Prepared, Procedural , Team Player etc. )

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a new policy at work you did not agree with ?   4 Answers
    • Tell me about a time when you had to motivate or inspire a customer to do their job ?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a challenging or difficult situation in your recent work experience that you dealt with ?   1 Answer
    • What difficulties or challenges do you think a flight attendant faces on a daily bases ?   1 Answer
    • Are you aware that a flight attendant LITERALLY works 24/7 ??   1 Answer
    • What you do If you had a passenger who was upset or concerned that they will not make it to their connecting flight based on flight delay due to bad weather ?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a Business class customer would not put laptop away ? What would do if you went back and laptop was still not stowed away ?   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable with relocation ?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

The video interview was moderately easy. AS LONG AS YOU STUDY! I took one hour before my interview to study questions and I think I did good. This was my second interview so I knew what to expect. I dressed like a flight attendant I wore a dark green dress with a black blazer and my united scarf (I currently work at united in Newark nj as a CSR) I made sure my make up and hair was done. I usually have big curly hair but for the video being that your first impression I threw on a straight wig and put it back in a low bun.. PLEASE LOOK INTO THE CAMERA NOT THE SCREEN. Unfortantly they will base on that I tried to look in the canara as much as possible. It's hard but try to..have makeup natural looking I did not wear red lipstick but you can if you'd like. Nails I didn't do because the video was from the waist up and I didn't move my hands a lot. Make sure you sit up straight and SMILE I hate smiling because I have high cheek bones and I have chubby cheeks but I made sure I smiled to look approachable. I said hello and thank you at the beginning and end of video. One questing I didn't answer correctly but I managed to make it work. I have not heard anything back because I just did my interview an hour ago so I will update when I hear something back. Also go on YouTube for tips

Interview Questions

• -Tell us how you would represent united and describe the united brand

-tell us a time you would of handled a situation differently at work

-Tell us one of your proudest moments

-Is there any other qualifications you would like us to know?

-What is a challenge you dealt with and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question