United Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then in person interview. Phone interview was about half an hour, conversational but structured with behavioral interview questions. In-person interview in Chicago was with two separate sales managers - both very nice guys! Similarly conversational but with behavioral structure.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral: tell me about a time....   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very structured. I applied online and within a week I received an invitation to complete an OnDemand interview via HireVue. Suggestions for HireVue: Be in a well-lit area. My suggestion is to use as much natural lighting as possible. Be well-dressed. Research the company and see how the flight attendants dress for the particular company, and emulate that! The HireVue questions were behavioral questions. Everything I read on GlassDoor has been accurate! Within 4 days, I received an email inviting me to Newark, NJ for a Face-to-Face interview. I was beyond excited! When you call, the booking department will ask you the closest airport. I told her mine, and the flight is free, but please be aware you are usually not a "must-ride" passenger in instances like this. My case, I get to my closest airport with plenty of time to spare. The plane begins boarding. I board the plane and am in my seat. A gentleman from United walks on the plane and calls my name and says the flight is overbooked and I had to get off. I take my carry-on and exit the plane. I was a little stressed at this point. I go inside and wait for the counter to clear so I could talk to the desk agent, and they said the next flight leaves at 10pm (which I would have gotten to Newark at 11 ish), or you can go to another nearby airport and the plane departs in two hours! For a moment, I began to panic thinking I am never going to make it. I was not extremely familiar with the DC Metro stations, nor the other airport. However, I thought to myself, this is all part of the interview...staying cool, calm, and collected during a crisis! I managed to hustle through the DC Metro stops and navigate around. Got to my other airport and through security with about 10 minutes to spare! At this point, I was joking around the gate agent because of the mental meltdown I was having haha! I get on the plane and fly to Newark. Check-in to my hotel. The morning of the interview! Newark is an extremely busy airport! Give yourself plenty of time to get the gate pass and get through security--you do NOT want to be late. I was there a little after 7 and was seated with fellow interviewees by 8 (luckily)! Get to know your fellow applicants! Everyone is nervous, everyone is going through the same thing. Talk, be jolly, and have fun. It helps ease the nerves. Exactly at 9 am, the Inflight Recruiters came to get us! We went to the United building and were checked in. We were all briefed on United and they called the first 6 for interviews. While the others are in the interview, talk and be jolly with the other applicants. Take your mind to a less stressful place, but review some questions and answers in your head, too! My name was called, and I was nervous! The lady who did my one-on-one interview was nice, genuine. The interview was by far the best experience I have ever had! This one took about 45 minutes and it was basic behavioral questions, if/then questions, and we reviewed my resume. We were finished and we walk to the hall (I assumed I was finished), she said, I actually want my colleagues to meet you, so I am going to put you in this room with a few other applicants. I felt good! Talked to the few others in the room with me and they slowly leaving for the second interview. My name was called again and the ladies were nice and genuine again. I went to a very small room with them and they asked me basically the same questions. They said they had to step out and review a few things on my resume and they would be back. I sat in the room and about 5 minutes later, they walked through the door and said, "after reviewing you resume and answers, we have enough information to offer you the job today." Of course, I accepted the offer! The offer is contingent on drug, vision, and hearing tests, as well as passing the training! I leave for training August 30! They took me to the clinic onsite and I completed my drug, hearing, and vision tests!

Some good things to remember: SMILE, POSTURE, CONFIDENCE, RESEARCH THE COMPANY, PRACTICE QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS! Browse through this site and read the questions other people were asked--it helped me tremendously! Research the company! Know the company! They want someone who can be invested into the company! Be confident!

Good luck! It was an incredible experience and I cannot wait to begin my new life in the air!

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

I did horrible on the video interview. It is extremely challenging to talk to a computer and not to a live person. I received the email to do the video interview on June 7th. I did the video interview on June 8th. We are now June 10th and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm just in limbo right now. I would like to know either way. Just wondering if anyone has done a video interview lately and heard back. Thanks

Interview Questions

• I don't remember all the interview question   66 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
    I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
    After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
    It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
    I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   9 Answers
    • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   3 Answers
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   2 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

I just completed the video interview for the 2018 flight attendant position. The reviews on here helped tremendously and every question I practiced for was on the interview. There are 5 questions, with 3 practice questions that you can practice as many times as you'd like, they are all included in the real questions, just worded differently.

I will add the questions so it may help any of you still waiting to take yours. Good luck to everyone and I'll update if I receive a F2F!

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation you wish you would have handled differently.   Answer Question
    • Name a time at work you were most proud of and why was it important.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about United and how will you represent the brand?   Answer Question
    • How has your past experience help you prepare for this position?   4 Answers
    • Is there anything you'd like United to know about your qualifications?   Answer Question

Bilingual Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online on 04/04 and one hour later I was invited to do the video interview. I completed the video interview the same day and the next day (04/05) I received the email invitation for the face to face.
    My face to face is scheduled for 04/11 in Houston,TX. Let me know if somebody else is scheduled for that date so we can meet.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for United and how would you represent it?   2 Answers
    • Name a difficult situation you wish you have handled differently.   Answer Question
    • Tell us something we don’t already know about you.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied: July 21st
    Video interview: July 22nd
    Replied to video interview: July 24th

(Five questions for video interview & five days, including weekends to respond)

Currently waiting for a reply to my video interview, will update when I get a response.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for United Airlines and how will you represent the brand?   2 Answers
    • Name a time when you we're proud of your job.   5 Answers
    • Is there anything else you would want United to know about your qualifications?   1 Answer
    • How will your past experience prep you for United?   2 Answers
    • What situation do you wish you would've handled differently?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Interview

The application and interview process was pretty typical. I applied online and heard back within a week. The hiring manager emailed me to schedule a phone interview, which took place shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions

• What experiences do you have that have prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United Airlines in April 2018.

Interview

I did my video interview yesterday! I did a lot of research on youtube along with glassdoor. One thing that none of my resources mentioned is that you have to upload a introduction video and after the video interview questions they will have you fill out a personality questionaire.

Interview Questions

• How would you represent the United brand?   7 Answers
    • Tell us about an experience you wish you handled differently.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a work experience you are proud of.   Answer Question
    • How has your customer service experience prepped you to become a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything else we should know about your qualifications?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I made a vow that when I get hired as a flight attendant, I will help others out in the best way that I can so read on! I will provide some very helpful info:

I applied for United Airlines 2018 batch. The whole process took 3 months although I think the process moves quickly now since training will start early next year.

RESUME: Make sure to highlight your customer service experience. Keep it short and simple and don't attach a photo!

VIDEO INTERVIEW: (For women) keep your make up light, wear red lipstick, and put your hair up in a bun like a flight attendant would do. Wear a white polo shirt and a blazer even if only your headshot can be seen. Review all the interview questions you can find here on Glassdoor! Avoid cliche buzzwords and just use the important ones. Make sure you emphasize that you prioritize the safety of the customers in whichever way you can relate your answers to that. DON'T FORGET TO SMILE AND MAKE EYE CONTACT TO THE CAMERA. Be audible and speak clearly. Make sure you have good lighting.

F2F INTERVIEW: If you made it to this round, congratulations! They will either fly you in or you might have to drive to United's training center in Houston, TX. Interview starts at 8:30 so for the former, you need to fly in the day before.

IMPORTANT PHYSICAL REQS FOR WOMEN:
    1. Wear a professional attire: White long sleeved shirt, black blazer, black skirt/pants, three-inched closed toe black heels

2. Put your hair up in a bun with lotsa lotsa hair spray.

3. Wear studs or pearl earrings

4. Wear red lipstick

5. For those who will wear a skirt, wear nude panty hose

6. Clean your nails and paint it either red or french tips (no other color!!!)

Don't forget to bring a copy of your resume. Interact with your fellow applicants the moment you get in (it can calm the nerves and I heard United recruiters observe how you are around people) Listen very attentively to the orientation then try to ask during the Q&A so they can see your genuine interest.

DURING THE 1-on-1 interview: RELAX! The interviewer is very nice. They will be going through your resume, ask you some behavioral and situational questions and make you read a spiel like what Flight Attendants announce during an actual flight. MAKE SURE TO GO THROUGH THE SAMPLE QUESTIONS HERE ON GLASSDOOR BECAUSE IM 100% SURE YOU'LL BE ASKED ANY OF THOSE GIVEN QUESTIONS.

After the interview which lasted 10-15 mins, you will be put in a holding room along with your fellow applicants who are also done with theirs. After a while, if you do get in, a United rep will ask you to come over to another room, go through the job responsibilities very briefly with you again and confirm if you're okay with everything. Then, they will give you a conditional job offer!!! There you go, congratulations.

You will be then directed to fill out paperwork, then off to the shuttle you go for the medical exam which will be held in United's medical clinic at the airport.

The exam consists of drug test (drink enough liquid otherwise, you will need to wait 3 hrs to have your turn again,) hearing test, vision test, and another test I forgot the name of. For the vision test, if you are not confident you have a 20/40 vision, you can wear your eyeglassed or contact lenses.

The whole thing took me 3 hours or so. Best of luck to all the candidates!!!!!

Interview Questions

• Was there a time you didn't agree to a new policy at work?   7 Answers

United Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in April 2018.

Interview

Nerve racking. Application was easy received an email 2 days later to do a video interview and that's where it went south for me. Did anyone else blow their video interview and still get a F2F? I'm so much better in F2F. One question ended up skipping for some reason and the first question I just absolutely screwed up.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to United with your customer service background.   15 Answers