United Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017
1,917 Interview Reviews

2.9

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

I did horrible on the video interview. It is extremely challenging to talk to a computer and not to a live person. I received the email to do the video interview on June 7th. I did the video interview on June 8th. We are now June 10th and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm just in limbo right now. I would like to know either way. Just wondering if anyone has done a video interview lately and heard back. Thanks

Interview Questions

• I don't remember all the interview question   50 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very structured. I applied online and within a week I received an invitation to complete an OnDemand interview via HireVue. Suggestions for HireVue: Be in a well-lit area. My suggestion is to use as much natural lighting as possible. Be well-dressed. Research the company and see how the flight attendants dress for the particular company, and emulate that! The HireVue questions were behavioral questions. Everything I read on GlassDoor has been accurate! Within 4 days, I received an email inviting me to Newark, NJ for a Face-to-Face interview. I was beyond excited! When you call, the booking department will ask you the closest airport. I told her mine, and the flight is free, but please be aware you are usually not a "must-ride" passenger in instances like this. My case, I get to my closest airport with plenty of time to spare. The plane begins boarding. I board the plane and am in my seat. A gentleman from United walks on the plane and calls my name and says the flight is overbooked and I had to get off. I take my carry-on and exit the plane. I was a little stressed at this point. I go inside and wait for the counter to clear so I could talk to the desk agent, and they said the next flight leaves at 10pm (which I would have gotten to Newark at 11 ish), or you can go to another nearby airport and the plane departs in two hours! For a moment, I began to panic thinking I am never going to make it. I was not extremely familiar with the DC Metro stations, nor the other airport. However, I thought to myself, this is all part of the interview...staying cool, calm, and collected during a crisis! I managed to hustle through the DC Metro stops and navigate around. Got to my other airport and through security with about 10 minutes to spare! At this point, I was joking around the gate agent because of the mental meltdown I was having haha! I get on the plane and fly to Newark. Check-in to my hotel. The morning of the interview! Newark is an extremely busy airport! Give yourself plenty of time to get the gate pass and get through security--you do NOT want to be late. I was there a little after 7 and was seated with fellow interviewees by 8 (luckily)! Get to know your fellow applicants! Everyone is nervous, everyone is going through the same thing. Talk, be jolly, and have fun. It helps ease the nerves. Exactly at 9 am, the Inflight Recruiters came to get us! We went to the United building and were checked in. We were all briefed on United and they called the first 6 for interviews. While the others are in the interview, talk and be jolly with the other applicants. Take your mind to a less stressful place, but review some questions and answers in your head, too! My name was called, and I was nervous! The lady who did my one-on-one interview was nice, genuine. The interview was by far the best experience I have ever had! This one took about 45 minutes and it was basic behavioral questions, if/then questions, and we reviewed my resume. We were finished and we walk to the hall (I assumed I was finished), she said, I actually want my colleagues to meet you, so I am going to put you in this room with a few other applicants. I felt good! Talked to the few others in the room with me and they slowly leaving for the second interview. My name was called again and the ladies were nice and genuine again. I went to a very small room with them and they asked me basically the same questions. They said they had to step out and review a few things on my resume and they would be back. I sat in the room and about 5 minutes later, they walked through the door and said, "after reviewing you resume and answers, we have enough information to offer you the job today." Of course, I accepted the offer! The offer is contingent on drug, vision, and hearing tests, as well as passing the training! I leave for training August 30! They took me to the clinic onsite and I completed my drug, hearing, and vision tests!

Some good things to remember: SMILE, POSTURE, CONFIDENCE, RESEARCH THE COMPANY, PRACTICE QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS! Browse through this site and read the questions other people were asked--it helped me tremendously! Research the company! Know the company! They want someone who can be invested into the company! Be confident!

Good luck! It was an incredible experience and I cannot wait to begin my new life in the air!

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
    I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
    After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
    It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
    I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   8 Answers
    • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   3 Answers
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Two days later, I was asked to complete the video interview. And OMG was I nervous. I can't even say that I "think" I bombed it. I totally bombed it. Yet two days later received an email inviting me to schedule a group interview. Good luck to everyone applying!

Anyone attending the interview in Houston on 02/19?

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines in August 2016.

Interview

The whole interview process took less than three weeks and I loved each step! I suggest reading everything on here before your video and face to face interview. I got an email the night after I placed my application online to video myself on HireVue. I did the video interview on the second of the five days given to complete. I then heard back after a few days and received an invitation to schedule a face to face interview. I was flown out to San Francisco a week later where I was later offered the job! The interview is exactly as others say on this site. I highly encourage smiling A TON, studying these questions and look like a flight attendant!! Best of luck guys! If anyone is going to the January training, let me know! :)

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They used Hirevue for the interview. They have questions appear on the screen and then you answer them on video. take the practice questions to get used to the format. also, get in a well lit area and make sure you look like a flight attendant. the interview takes about 15 minutes. They asked 'What is a misconception that customers and coworkers have of you. - 'they think i never have a bad day because I'm always in a good mood, when actually i have bad days just like everyone else.' Keep your answers positive. You want them to see all the good that you have to offer. They asked 'Why do you want to be a flight attendant' - They know you want to travel. Thats also what everyone says... Stand out with a unique reason for wanting this job. 'I love people and have a passion for service. I love adventure and enjoy being able to blah blah blah.' The video interview was like 5 questions, the final one was 'tell us everything you know about united airlines.' They want to see if you are looking for a job or investing in a career. I memorized the wiki page on united. I answered with 'I know that you have hubs in Guam, Tokyo, NYC, DC, Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, San Fransisco and LA. I know you are the largest employee owned company in the world. I know that you started in the 1920s as a crop dusting company. I know that you have merged and absorbed tons of airlines over the years including Wisconsin air, Arizona air and most recently continental. I know that you are the largest airline in the world with over 370 destinations. I know you are a founding member of the star alliance with 26 other airlines. (a few other facts) and i finished with 'i know your employees are happy.' I finished the interview and thought i did mediocre of a few of the questions, but felt good about the others. wasn't sure if id hear back.

Got to the willis tower at 8:20am (interview was at 9) made sure i know where i was going, etc. don't me late and get there w enough time to find your way around. there was other candidates hanging out in the lobby so i hung by them. jumped into conversation and they were amazing. Everyone there is wanting to do a good job, so they are all friendly. mix and mingle. it brings the nerves down. We went up and checked in. bring your resume. gave them the resumes, dropped bags and went into a conf room with about 25 people. They talked pay, hours and schedule, location. were all going to san fran right now. and gave time for questions. prepare a question or two. They called us one by one out of the group for our face to face private interview. I was called second our of 25, which was awesome! Got into the room with the nicest 4 people I've ever met. They were so amazing. The lady who was conducting my interview was incredible. I wish she was my mom. They want you to be your best, so they make the interview very calm and friendly. They had me read an announcement that was written on a piece of paper. They don't want you to read it, they want you to perform it. Read it the way the flight attendant on your last flight read it. Then they asked 6 questions.

The last question they say 'were gonna step out of the room for 30 seconds, think of 3 reasons why you would be a good fit.' They asked me to attend another interview with some of the higher-ups in the company. i came back at 12:45 and went into the conf room. There were 5 of us now. I found out then that we had another face to face interview, not a group deal where they offer us jobs. So i sat and talked with the other 4 candidates, got called into the meeting and sat with 3 gentlemen. They said 'the hard part is over, we just wanna get to know you a little better.' They asked me 'Why united over other airlines' I told them 'They are the largest, meaning that they have strong leadership and vision. I want to be part of something great, something i can give my life to. They went from a crop dusting company to the largest airline on earth. that says something. 2. everything I've read, people I've spoken with, say that the employees love united. blah blah.' They asked about my customer service philosophy. I told them that customer service and keeping customers happy is a means to an end. the end goal is making them loyal return customers. My philosophy is to do what it takes to make them continue to choose United. one of my references is a flight attendant, they asked me what he has told me about actually being a flight attendant. i told them he said its great and amazing and awesome, etc. then they sent me out of the room for 2 minutes, talked and called me back in. They asked me if i had any visible tattoos, which i do, and i told them that the policy states that they have to be covered, but are ok. and i have them, but they are not able to be seen. They then told me that id hear in 5-7 days if i was being invited to attend training. training is 5 weeks long and you aren't an official employee until you pass.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had a problem with a customer, what'd you do?   6 Answers
    • name a time when you had an issue with a coworker. how did you handle it, what was the outcome.   2 Answers
    • They asked if I was the lead FA and one of my crew didn't want to do their job, how would i handle it.   1 Answer
    • Name 3 reasons you are the fit for this job   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   7 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

3 reasons why we should hire you
    A time when it was challenging to remain friendly
    A time you had to use a new policy or rule
    A stressful/conflict situation with a coworker
    A time you wish you had done differently
    A misconception others might have about you
    Why is diversity important and a time you experienced it
    What would you do if a coworker was refusing to do work or not pulling their weight
    They also ask you to read an announcement verbatim
    What do you know about reserve
    Are you willing to relocate
    What do you know about United

Interview went like this: meet in the room. They will ask you to bring your resume with you to give to them and they confirm your flight home. Then it's a power point presentation about the company followed by a q&a.
    Then people are pulled out one at a time by recruiting 2 flight attendants.
    They'll take you to a room where they'll do your interview. If they like you they will tell you to come back for a second interview (on the same day).

When I got back to the second interview there were 5 out of 30 of us who had made the cut. We then did a second interview with 2 hr reps. The questions are exactly the same. Then you go to the airport and fly home. I got an email a week later inviting me to training so they didn't fingerprint or tell me the day of interview if they were going to hire me though they do that sometimes too. I think it just depends on where your interview is since they do it in a couple locations.

Interview Questions

• 3 reasons why we should hire you
      A time when it was challenging to remain friendly
      Are you willing to relocate
      What do you know about United
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied around early February and received an invitation for a video interview within 4 days. The video interview consisted of 6 questions, all of which were found here on glassdoor, so if you study all the questions here you'll be set. They are looking for answers that convey your style of customer service, so the more specific you can get with your examples the better. Don't be afraid of being yourself, be genuine and have fun with the questions. Make sure you make eye contact with your webcam instead of looking at yourself on the screen, and of course wear your best smile.
    You have 5 days to complete the video interview, I did mine on the 4th day, so don't worry about taking your time in being prepared.

Within another 4 days I received a invitation for a face to face interview at their Newark hub where I met other wonderful interviewees. This is a great opportunity for you to sooth your nerves, break some ice with everyone.The recruiting team came to greet us 9am right on the dot. One of them told me at the end that from the moment they come to greet you, they are accessing you. Minute details like how you are engaged with the other interviewees to how you greet the recruiters back, all are taken into account in your assessment.

After being brought into a secure area we were given a short orientation about being a flight attendant and then had a Q&A, I would suggest you prepare some questions that show that you did some research; it's okay to even already know the answers to your questions, it's the thought and participation that counts.

Once that was over we were then each paired with a single interviewer and led to a room where all the interviews were being held. Imagine cubicles, but with a single table with a seat at each end. All the interviewers were super nice and passionate about the industry. You could feel their passion leaking out of them as they spoke. Many of the questions they asked were situation based, what would you do kind of scenarios. Expect a question along the lines of "pretend I am a belligerent customer that refuses to put away my laptop, what would you say to me?". If you have experience in customer service or hospitality in general, you'll be fine.

When the one on one interview concluded all the interviewees were culled back together in a room. And from that room you will be plucked for a final one on one interview with some higher up HR people. This time it will be just 1 person interviewing everyone in the group one on one, so it's going to take longer, much longer. So sit back and rant with your fellow interviewees, blow off some of those nerves that you've accumulated throughout the day.

The second and final interview, I must say is the hardest. Not just because at this point I had already expended what little energy I had left, but also the interviewer was a bit more stern and intimidating. Questions I was asked were more technical stuff like whether or not I had any visible tattoos, my willingness to relocate, and some nitpicking at my resume and length of my hospitality experience. Emphasis on the willingness to relocate, I was asked a scenario like what would I do, how would i feel if i had to relocate to the SFO base, where the cost of living was very high. I answered with "pfffft please, i live in nyc, i know how to live like a starving artist" ; no just kidding i didn't say that, but just sound like your definitely willing to relocate and your flexible, also tell them how you would go about the living situation. something like "yeah no problem i can just share a rundown apartment with 4 other flight attendants".

From there, the two interviewers left the room briefly, for about 3 minutes. In those 3 minutes i told myself "aw crap I messed up, welp time to apply to another airline". That quickly became "seriously?!?" when they came back in and gave me the conditional job offer. So I shook their hands with my mouth still agape and will be attending the 6 week training at the end of this month.
    You quickly get shoved into another room right after and sign a bunch of paperwork and then a round of congratulations from all the other recruiting people that greeted and ferried you around. And then the drug test right after that where you will see your other fellow interviewees that passed. You will reflect on your crazy day and laugh as you pee into a cup for the urine test. From there you can collect the numbers of your fellow trainees and then go home with a smile, or fall asleep from the exhaustion like I did. All in all it was a great experience, really enjoyed the level of energy from everyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell us why you'd be a good flight attendant?   9 Answers
    • Tell us about a time when you went above and beyond a customers expectation.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time where you wished you had done something differently.   1 Answer

Interview

First off I will say this was a very lengthy process but for good reason. United Airlines is a massive corporation and recently merged with Continental Airlines to make this company even larger. So results will take time as I will depict throughout this post.

First I applied for the position in late November 2016. I am currently getting out of the military and wanted to find a great company to work for. It wasn't until late December 2016 before I got a call asking me to come in for a face to face interview. I was flown to the airport I applied for, given a hotel room for the night because the flights didn't allow me to come out there and get back in the same day.

Once I accepted the interview, they will send you everything you need on how the process works, who to meet with, etc. I flew out in early January for the interview itself. I got to the hub and went to my room for the night. The next I arrived at the Operations building about an hour early just in case sometime unforeseen came up. I signed in at the security desk and waited for my interviewer. He came down, greeted me, and we talked briefly about how the process would work. He then showed me around the facility as we worked towards the room where the interview was conducted. It was a panel style interview with multiple people sitting in on it, but it wasn't a pressure situation. They were all very professional, personable and made the expectations extremely clear on the position, the interview process and how they follow up.

The interview is self was very well structured. They are not there to trick you into an answer, make you second guess, etc. They discussed my resume and then began asking questions. They want to know how you conduct yourself not only in the interview but in previous positions held. Working for a man airliner is a major responsibility and they need to make sure that each person understands the gravity of the position they are applying for. The interview lasted about 45-60 mins. Once completed, they thanked me for coming in and I did the same for the opportunity. I was walked out the building and told that recruiting will contact you regarding the position.

Fast forward another 5 almost 6 weeks before recruiting called me. In the mean time I waited about 3 weeks and called them to see if a decision had been made. Each week I called to check in, express my interest and just see if anything had changed. Finally the call came from recruiting with an offer and I accepted it. They will call you either way to let you know on their decision. This company isn't one to let people stress endlessly without a decision to either hire or not.

This is the last bit of advice I want to share with those who were just like myself. I researched as much as I could, stressed to new levels I didn't know where achievable, etc. This is a large company and it does take time for them to conduct the entire process. They do not withhold info to torture anyone. This process is to ensure they give each qualified person the opportunity to compete for the position they applied for and select the best qualified candidate. Good luck to all!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a disgruntled employee and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. They offered a very competitive salary and benefits package.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, was asked several questions such as are you willing to work weekends and holidays. Instructed be the starting salary and whether it was acceptable. Then told me to keep checking my email because he was forwarding my status to the hiring manager in Newark.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work flexible hours?   6 Answers