United States Steel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at United States Steel

2.7

Mailroom Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN).

Interview

Tests that were on a 12th grade education level. I knew the manager from prior meetings. I interviewed with two separate people who asked me the same questions. it was an easy process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United States Steel.

Interview

It was not only short and concise but direct and to the point. The questions were directed towards the job and experience. A lot of the interview was laid back.

Utility Worker Interview

Interview

Very long hiring process very long interview very intense and rigorous questions to make sure they are hiring the right person I suggest be extremely loose and calm keep eye contact and try to answer questions as quick as possible

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United States Steel in April 2019.

Interview

Applied online, through handshake. They got back to me within a week to schedule a phone interview. The Interview lasted about 30 min and was with the both sales directors and the marketing director. Two days later I got offered the internship.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at U.S. Steel?   1 Answer

Process Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ecorse, MI

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at United States Steel (Ecorse, MI) in December 2018.

Interview

It was a great opportunity. They first started with introduction of USS. They asked all basics and discussed the responsibilities with me. It was the panel of 5 people asking me questions by taking turns. I had to give satisfactory answers and even explain them the details using pen , paper, markers , white board etc.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gary, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Gary, IN).

Interview

Apply online, first phone call was 3 months after applying. They set you up with a Manager phone screening and if you pass you get scheduled to visit the plant for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance in which you used your problem solving skills?   Answer Question

Utility Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at United States Steel in November 2018.

Interview

The interview was quick and the assessment exam was easy. Most was common sense. Three months passed and nothing. Then out of blue recieved e-mail for consideration. Will have to take background check and medical exam. Once these are done i may receive an offer

Programmer/Computer Science/IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portage, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Portage, IN) in October 2018.

Interview

First a phone interview, then a face to face interview at the plant. I used glassdoor to review some questions, and reviewed STAR questions. Received offer next day after face-to-face interview, where I interviewed with 2 personnel/management from BSC. Interview was a basic STAR/behavioral interview with some questions off my resume (volunteer experience, explain work experience etc...)

The longest part was the drug test and physical test, which I had to set an appointment for at the plant's medical office, and they only had an opening 2 weeks later. Then, I had to get an approval from my doctor before I could start due to an abnormality on my EKG so it took even longer. They will cut your hair for drug test and due an intensive physical (you need to fast day prior).

Interview Questions

• Q: Name a time you had to teach something complex to someone?   Answer Question
    • Q: Name a time you had a difficulty at work?   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you OK programming or working with older technologies (i.e. Mainframe)?   Answer Question
    • Q: Are you familiar with the steel making process?   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United States Steel (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I was scheduled to interview with 4-6 individuals. Many of them were unavailable so they randomly sent in people throughout the office to interview me. It was a couple hours of basic questions about background and some behavioral style questions.
    After the interview, I followed up, thanking them for the opportunity to talk with them regarding the position. They never emailed me or contacted me to inform me that I would not be offered the position or that they decided to proceed with other candidates. Obviously, after a month, I got the message; didn't really bother me because I got a better position with a better company, but completely unacceptable practice in my view.

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United States Steel (Houston, TX) in September 2018.

Interview

Filled out application a week ago. Got an email to do assessment. Then got called back for interview saw week. Email then call back happen fast. Medical and background process a little slower. Once completed starting training next week

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous jobs and why did you choose to come to U.S. Steel   1 Answer