Urban Science Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Urban Science Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2017

Developer Interview

Interview

First impressions are important, and my first impression of this company was the recruiter – it was a 100% negative experience. How could she reschedule three times for the first phone interview!? Please respect candidates’ time!
    I have never talked to any recruiter that was so rude from the beginning of the phone interview – I could tell by the tone of her voice, or she probably does not like her job though. If your answers to her SQL questions are not straight from the book, she would consider them wrong answers because she had no idea what she was talking about to. Please be nice to candidates, and being rude does not make you better person.
    The whole experience was horrible, the recruiter she was just horrible, even I was advanced to the next round.
    At the end, I withdrew my candidacy because this place does not seem like a good place to work.

HR Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science in August 2017.

Interview

Their process was a typical interview process when I applied and scheduled the interview. Was disappointed that the company never communicated with me after the in person interview to let me know if I would be moving forward and not in the hiring process.

Analysis Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

Three different interviews with several different people. Never received any response after the final interview - just left hanging. HR person extremely friendly. The non-HR people on the team all seemed very stressed/over-worked. Did not seem like a good place to work. Overall poor interview experience because of the stressed-vibe and lack of follow up.

Interview Questions

• A large portion of the interview was questions related to how much I had researched about the company. I actually knew quite a bit about the company but thought that type of questioning was for people that just got out of college not experienced hires.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule a phone screening with the Senior Recruiter. The phone screening lasted about 40 minutes. Got asked a ton of questions about SQL and OOP. The questions were pretty basic, but there were a lot of them. Definitely need to know everything about SQL and OOP basics and really be able to fully explain them as well as provide examples. The interviewer seemed to really like me as a candidate, although this may have been fake and how she acts with all candidates, who knows. The interview took a dark turn when I was asked about my GPA. The tone completely shifted. However, I already got scheduled for an in-person interview the next day. The in-person interview lasted about an hour. I was interviewed by two developers on the team the position was for. Again, a ton of questions about SQL and OOP. There was even some white-boarding that involved SQL queries. I was also asked about my GPA once again.
    I received a rejection letter thru e-mail the very next day. In the end, I'm pretty sure the reason they didn't want to continue with me was because of my GPA. In my opinion, the interview went well, but who really knows. The pay they are offering is incredibly low for what the position is and what they're looking for, at $60k annually.

Analyst Interview

Interview

The recruiter was so rude and unprofessional. She was half an hour late for scheduled time, then talked with unpleasant attitude the whole time. On the other hand, the team is so nice and easy to talk with;

Interview Questions

• All questions are about SQL, and they are not very hard.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was relatively fast. After applying online, I received a phone interview with HR recruiter. She asked me behavioral based questions and about my qualifications. She was very friendly and energetic, minimizing the usual interview nerves and making the interview go by smoothly. After, I got a call for an in person interview in which I received a tour of the office where I had a brief preview of the company culture which seemed friendly and involving. I then had an interview with my prospective manager where I was asked questions on my skills.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through three interviews within a week time span. First was a phone screening interview where the Recruiter asked about my background and what my interest was in the position.

The second was a phone interview with the Senior Manager of the team I would potentially be on. The Sr. Manager asked me about my resume, and there weren't any serious STARL questions that I had to go too in depth on, unlike other interviews I've been through. Very nice interview!

Next, I went to the company headquarters in Detroit and met with two teams where they asked about my background and about what I could do in terms of technical skills. There was no Excel/SQL test which was cool, but I studied for one anyway.

Great experience from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had three assignments due at 5pm that same day?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle multiple client requests due in the same time span? How would you organize your schedule?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about SQL and Excel?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter was abrasive at times but nice at others. Most of the team seemed incredibly friendly. Out of state candidate so the entirety of the process was over the phone/Skype.

Interview Questions

• What is a primary key? What is a foreign key? What is a wild card? (All SQL) How would you ensure the accuracy of the data?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Urban Science in May 2017.

Interview

I first talked to a recruiter at my school's career fair and gave her my resume. It wasn't until 2 weeks later that I received a phone call to set up an interview at their office. The interview was with 3 of the developers and it was about an hour long. They pretty much went over different parts of my resume and asked about the different projects I had on there. It seemed like they really wanted to know if I knew my SQL and asked me several questions related to it. Overall, the guys were extremely easy to talk to and I felt like it went well, but maybe they were looking for someone very specific.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

Condescending to say the least. Recruiter has high expectations and accuses candidates of reading from notes during phone interview (how do you know if they are just taking time to think like normal people or reading notes?). Regardless, horrible experience and going by employee reviews it probably is not a good environment to learn and grow either.

Interview Questions

• SQL queries, left join - right join, optimization, Object oriented programming, current work projects and ect...   Answer Question