Xcel Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.9

Meteorolgoical Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

I applied online. I received a phone interview with Hiring Manager about 2 weeks later. An in-person interview was then quickly scheduled at their office, which I was flown out for (travel expenses were covered). In-person interview lasted a few hours but was not overly intense, met those I would be working with most closely. Had two follow-up email correspondences with Hiring Manager, one and two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I handle high stress, fast paced trading environments   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy.

Interview

They contacted me and asked to do an in person interview. The interview was with three people, mostly behavioral based questions. I heard back 2 weeks later and they offered the job. I would have taken it but it was too far away.

Senior Security Analyst-SIEM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

I received an initial interview a week and a half after applying online. the First interview was with a current security analyst. the following week I had an interview with HR. I then interviewed with the Chief Security officer the following week. there were three separate interviews over a three week period by phone. the process moves fast within this company

Interview Questions

• General questions based on our resume, education, and work Experience. The STAR method was used when discussing these three areas.   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied with the help of a Recruiter. Process was simple and straightforward. I had an on site interview with the hiring manager and two other members of the team. Took about one hour. Were all very nice and had down to earth questions about how I would react to certain situations the position might encounter.

Interview Questions

• General questions about background and how it would apply to the open position.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied in May 2016 for a Staff Engineer Position and was contacted by the hiring manager in late June. A phone interview was conducted a week later and the hiring manager spent about 20 minutes providing information about the position and his management style followed by walking through my resume and answering few questions about myself. The hiring manager contacted me a few weeks later to set up an in person interview. An in person interview was conducted in late July with hiring manager, 2 SR engineers and an associate engineer. The in person interview last roughly an hour and consisted of questions from a question book pre-assembled for the interview. Hr contacted me to make the offer discuss the benefits a few weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral such as please describe a time when you have...or how would you handle such and such an issue. No technical questions.   Answer Question

Regulatory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

It took several weeks for the company to begin interviews after the job closed. However, once HR contacted me for a very brief (easy) phone screen to 1.) see if I was still interested since it had been some time, and 2.) feel me out for salary requirements. The same day of the phone screen I had an interview scheduled within about 3 business days. My interview was with department manager and one team member. Interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Interview was same day as this survey so no job offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straight forward STAR formal questions. Describe a time when you had to work with a project team, what was the project and what was the outcome? Describe a time when something needed immediate action and how did you respond? What was the outcome? What is demand side mapping? What is load planning? Rate your knowledge of energy efficiency. Rate your knowledge of renewable energy.   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

This was a very professional interview process. It moved very quickly and there was clear flexibility and willingness to accommodate schedules. Interviewers were very knowledgeable and their field and did a good job of conveying where the position fit within the organization. This was a contract position and they did a good job of explaining how the contracting process worked.

Interview Questions

• What skills and strengths do you think that you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for the exact position which I have performed for this company for many years, so I am clearly qualified and would be a good candidate. Admittedly I have left and returned to the group a couple of times in the memory of anyone still working there. I left the group once to take another job within Xcel toward a career change, but had to return when a company merger sent my job to another state, and another time to start a consulting business which allowed me to save money for my kids' college expenses. I re-joined some years later as a supervisor but found I could not sleep at night due to the stress of this role, and had to leave the company again, but not until after agreeing to continue this role under very difficult circumstances for 6 months. Then finally this year I re-applied for a lesser position (non-supervisory). However, this last interview I had with them tells me that this no longer a company I want to be associated with.

The posting was up for about a month before I applied, and then after I applied it was six weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. The manager (whom I had only spoken to on the phone several times related to some other related work I had done for the group) called at the appointed interview time. After asking me the ridiculous question I describe below, he immediately started grilling me about my history with leaving the group. He admitted he had ho problem with my technical abilities. It was clear to me that a certain person within that group was angry with me for leaving the group and (for many years apparently), now that he/she has finally become comfortable in the lead role, could only focus on anger with me rather than on how I could support them in the future.

The manager then unexpectedly told me that he would have the recruiter bring me in for an interview. This never happened. I did not have his number to call, but I did have the recruiter's, since she sent me several pleasant emails telling me to contact her with any questions she could help me with. So after waiting several weeks, I called her and left a message letting her know that he indicated I would receive a site interview, and questioning whether I was still under consideration given that I hadn't heard anything. I also sent an email just in case. Neither of these contacts were returned.

The whole process it seems was quite simply an opportunity to vent anger at me for having a career and to try to embarrass me, and make me suffer by wasting time in my job search. The manager clearly has some power and anger issues, so I am glad that I will not have to work for him in the future. The fact that the recruiter did not reply to my contacts at all, to even tell me that I was no longer being considered, was just weird and is not consistent with the company that I thought Xcel was.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call for an interview. Had the interview in one of the managers office with another person who was going to also be working on that specific project.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Dallas, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and at job fair, went for interview a month later, recieved a rejection email about 4 months. Interview was with a senior engineer and a entry-level engineer. 20 minutes long, several basic star questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you encountered and the tools you used to solve it.   Answer Question