Xcel Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Xcel Energy

2.9

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

Interviewed with 2 gentlemen on the electrical engineering team. They were friendly and kind and I felt good afterwards. They asked me if I knew a lot of technical things, they went down a list, and checked the things I knew and didn't know.

Interview Questions

• How often do you use your cell phone during the day?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Interview

Typical on the phone call engineering interview with multiple engineers on the call. Very laid back and questions were appropriate for an intern. Nothing too technical except project work and coursework at school/hobbies.

Interview Questions

• What was a project that you worked on a specific application for?   Answer Question

Field Service Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Xcel Energy.

Interview

Had two phone screens and two personal interviews. Close to 5 weeks start to finish. Process could have been smoother. It seemed like they were too busy or maybe had alot of applicants.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2019.

Interview

an appointment set up by HR staff then a phone interview. The timing was a challenge though as it appeared the HR was only PT. Be prepared to respond faster than I did (four hours).

Interview Questions

• Background, how I worked on a team, how I worked best with management, where I wanted my career to go, pretty straight forward to start with, then questions on the industry. Know the company background and base level of executives. Company long-range plans, etc.   Answer Question

Energy Efficiency Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in September 2019.

Interview

It was a 2 hours in Denver, CO's downtown district. The first hour was a behavioural interview with some technical questions, followed by a exam with computer and data functions in Microsoft Excel.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you contributed to the improvement of a product or process?   Answer Question

Energy Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in August 2019.

Interview

A corporate recruiter contacted me through email several days after I submitted an application. She set me up with a manager for a 30 min phone interview. The questions were mostly technical.

Interview Questions

• - How does a pump work?
      - What affect the pump performance?
      - What's your to go technology in commercial project?
      - Would you recommend VFD system?
      - Describe residential type systems?
      - etc.....   Answer Question

Any Job At Xcel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO).

Interview

They ask everyone questions from 5 categories - accountability, customer and stakeholder engagement, job and business expertise, operational excellence, and relationship focused. Grade everyone on a scale and pick the highest. They want STAR answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent problem or issue you encountered and solved in the work place?   Answer Question

GIS Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2019.

Interview

It was a phone interview, which is fine since I've had a very good phone interview previously. But the human resources staff asking questions was incredibly dull and merely read out three industry-standard, vague questions. Typically, I've had more personable interviews, where the questions pertained (as they should) to my qualifications for the job specifically, and not a dull, vague, and rehearsable prompts. The whole process was pretty irritating and appeared, to me, to be a structurally flawed method of hiring in my field. I've never had an interview that I didn't enjoy and get called back on, until now.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were faced with a problem, how you solved it, and what was the result?   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Xcel Energy (Denver, CO) in April 2019.

Interview

very easy and simple process that didn't take long at all to get to the interview portion. The questions asked were very typical questions that would get asked during an interview.

Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

Went through the process a few months ago for a marketing manager role. The recruiter I worked with was great and she was extremely friendly. Spoke with the hiring manager on the phone who was also very nice and I enjoyed my chat with her as well. While I enjoyed speaking to her I got the feeling that Xcel wasn't a very enjoyable place to work for, it seemed like the company at least from a marketing perspective was years behind other companies.

After the call it took over a month for HR to reach back out about next steps. The second interview was great, but they went silent on me for weeks. A month later they reach out about final round interviews. At this point I had already accepted another offer, and when I told my recruiter that she went completely silent. Seems like a very slow moving process without a lot of communication along the way. While I liked the people the process was not efficient and the salary was very low