Yahoo Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo in September 2016.

Interview

Initial phone call screening by hiring the manager, a couple of technical questions (networking and generic) and a couple of coding questions (which were trivial if you have done leetcode/ctci).
Later was called to the onsite interview. Had like 4 rounds of interview all technical and involved whiteboard coding (has to be best run time) . At last had system design question round (which surprised my frankly). At end of the round, the interviewer was too rude to me and said it on my face that they are not happy with my performance.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode coding questions, brain teasers and system design questions(data center related).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

It was my first ever interview, and it turned out to be with a guy from their core search engine team. I blew it big time. I had no idea what kind of questions would be asked, I was not even informed for what position i was interviewing for. I had applied for software dev/machine learning. Turned out to be machine learning which I wasn't prepared for at all. Plus I was very nervous and scared.The interviewer was not at all warm and supportive, he laughed at my silly mistakes and was quite blunt at times. He did try to help me out at several places where I blanked out though. It was a rough first time experience!!

Interview Questions

• About how random number generator, pseudo-random number generators work. The last one was finding K-largest numbers in an unsorted collection.   1 Answer

Technical Yahoo - Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Two round of phone interview were held. Since i am east coast. Timings were relatively comfortable. Phone interviewers asked to code on collabedit. It was nice experience. Genereal questions like: How to reverse a linkedlist etc were asked. Onsite round was 4 interviews 1 hour each. SOme of them were very vagfue. Gave a lot of positive feedback. HR was really bad. Gave no anwer for 6 weeks. When i asked repeatedly was finally told was rejected

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Focussed on achievements I have done in the past. the process was not that well organized. There were two remote interviewers which was difficult for communication. Hard to determine what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Hw would you scale a movie listing web service   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews one hour each. They asked questions mostly on data structures and past projects. Once I cleared the first round, I moved to the second round. They gave the result an hour after the second interview. Overall good interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a single linked list , how would you find the middle of the linked list?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty swift. Unlike people here mentioning about late reply from HR. I got reply within a week may be because of my other offer deadline. Had one phone screen, one coding challenge onsite and then 3 F2F interviews. I really liked the Yahoo office and culture there and will accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Apache Pig Script, LCS type problem, Hadoop, Machine Learning   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

1 Phone Screen with my perspective manager. I joked around and made sure that Yahoo did not support IE6 and asked questions about their development processes.

1 Technical Phone Screen with Senior Engineer. He asked me to make a form from scratch that did something.

1 Onsite interview - came in for 3 hours and met the team. It was sorta informal. Answered questions and joked around. Didn't know how to do some of the questions but figured it out in a couple mins by bouncing ideas off of my interviewers. They look for how fast you can adapt and how interested you are about the coding language and technologies. Also from UI and design perspective they look at how you code things to make it easier for the user.

One of my interviewers mentioned something he saw on hacker news and I had seen the same thing the day before so we chatted about it.

I also think that attitude counts hugely at Yahoo. There are no egos in my team. Your personality has to match too.

I wasn't asked any difficult algorithm questions like they do at FB and Google, it was all just stuff directly related to the job. You don't have to be a genius to work here, but if you put in some hard work and learn from the people smarter than you then you will go far. Don't be off put by the big name.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle correcting a mistake that your manager made?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. Yahoo's benefits are seriously awesome. The website doesn't explain everything.

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Burbank, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through my school's careers website. I received an email within a week to set up a phone interview. The phone interview questions covered my resume and interests. About a week later I had onsite interviews with 4 different people. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions were not overly difficult and focused on scripting and databases. Everyone was extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions

• You have a 10x10x10 rubix cube. You paint the outside. How many cubes have paint on them?   5 Answers

Negotiation

No need to negotiate, was offered a very competitive offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn last October. Because I was considering quitting my PhD program, I pinged back. After that, we had 3 rounds of phone interviews. In January, the manager decided to move forward with an offer. I was ready to go there. However, in February, they decided to give me an extra onsite. I was surprised. Because Yahoo was my only offer at that time, I prepared my coding interview in a hurry. I performed badly in the onsite interview and planned to move on. So I prepared another month for some of exciting startups. I was able to get an offer from Yahoo at the end of March, but the processing takes so long that I got more offers from elsewhere. At that time, I am no longer interested in Yahoo, so I just wrote back a thankyou letter and let it go.

Interview Questions

• You have 2B URLs, how to find the 95th percentile of all the sizes.   1 Answer

The slow processing of reimbursement and offer makes me quite disappointed about the company.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter through email. Had two phone rounds over a period of 3 weeks. Was called onsite for an in-person interview. The decision came in after a week. HR was very prompt and expedited the decision process.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more sort of discussions on a wide range of topics like Distributed Systems, Networking, Algorithms, Data Structures   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I felt that the offer was generous.