Yahoo Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through career fair. Received an invite to schedule first interview call after two months. Interview process was good, interviewers were helpful and were very clear in articulating the question. Got through first round and got another invite for second round of telephonic + screen interview, this time interviewer was very senior and asked couple of questions about Android development as well.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewed onsite at Head Quarters. Interview was difficult and I was primarily was being interviewed for immediate Front End and gradually to be converted Full Stack role. My Back End related rounds went really well but Front End was not good as I am a professional Backend Developer.

Interview Questions

• Decimal to Binary Conversion, Math, Data Structures, UI and Front End   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Yahoo got my resume in the Career Fair of my college. Then I got phone interview opportunity after two days. During the phone interview, interviewer asked my some Java fundamentals, DB concept, and SQL design question. Then I got onsite opportunity after one week. Onsite interview had four rounds. First round was about CS fundamentals, second round was Front End Programming, third round was reverse engineering/scripting, the last round was talking to team manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

They were doing on campus recruitment this March. I came to talk to one of the stuff with my resume. We scheduled a technical interview. In the interview, they asked two coding problems and we discussed optimizations.

Interview Questions

• Solve a maze   1 Answer
    • Find all the occurrences of a small matrix in a large matrix.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on linkedin regarding software development positions. I was in a position where I was open to new opportunities (had been working at Microsoft).

We talked and the recruiter suggested a few teams that had openings. I was interested in a few (mail, ads&data, and cloud), and asked if I could do a phone screen with all of the ones I was interested in to find out more about the individual groups. The recruiter was happy to accommodate. I passed all the phone screens, but liked mail the most (open source in tech stack, highly visible product, work on product that has a very high scale).

I scheduled an onsite, and met with the team. There were 4 interviews - 1 architect, 2 software engineers, 1 hiring manager. One was a design interview, and three were whiteboard coding. I was looking for a place where I could develop my technical skills and career, and wanted to be challenged technically. I got a good vibe from them.

The recruiter called me a week later to inform me that the team wanted to extend an offer.

Overall, my experience was positive. There was a certain stigma associated with Yahoo in my circle of friends, being an old software company, but I got a very good impression from them. The culture seemed great and the people were passionate. The questions that I got were very challenging, and on par with other companies (I also interviewed with other companies like Facebook, Google, Palantir, Twitter, etc).

Some questions I got:
    How would you design Yahoo groups? Technical deep dive and CAP theorem tradeoffs.
    Concurrency questions
    Implement an address book where you can access a contact in O(1) time, list contacts in alphabetical order in O(n) time, and get prefix results as you type a search query.
    Web development questions
    OS questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because the offer was very competitive

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

The hiring manager emailed me with the requirements and I was interested. I had two phone interviews followed by a in-person interview that lasted around 4 hours with 7 different people. Standard questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. People were very professional and courteous. Friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• None.. All questions were simple. Reverse a linked list, find a duplicate node in the linked list, etc   4 Answers

Negotiation

I did not negotiate though I think now, that one can negotiate upto 5% at least. What is the harm in asking?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2019.

Interview

It was okay. i did not prepare well for the interview. I felt dumb while answering the question. i was having difficulty in answering a moderate level question. i didn't prepare graphs well

Interview Questions

• /*
      <entity> <relationship_type> <entity>
      A < B
      B < C
      E < B
      C < A --> Violation

/*   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Took place on campus as part of coop process. Two back to back 30 minute interviews with separate engineers from Yahoo. First was mostly about previous experience and a coding question. Second was more in depth fundamentals about JavaScript and another coding question. Overall it was a good experience and they were friendly. As the interview went on they were helpful when asked clarification questions.

Interview Questions

• Create a "change machine" algorithm. You input X amount of cents and it will calculate how many dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies you need to be given.
      eg. given 73 cents, the function will return: 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 3 pennies   Answer Question
    • Describe and implement a "singleton" class.   Answer Question
    • Given an array of integers, find the two items in the array that add up to a given number X.
      eg. [1,3,4,2,5,6], X = 10, function returns [4,6]   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (New Delhi (India)) in August 2012.

Interview

Campus recuritment

Interview Questions

• how a packet is delivered from one process to another ?   1 Answer