Yelp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 11, 2018
2,235 Interview Reviews

2.9

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a regional manager to have a phone interview. The conversation went well and I was advanced to the writing sample round of the interview process, but I withdrew to pursue an opportunity elsewhere. I got the impression that the workload would be very heavy and that there would be very long work hours. This isn't something I'm looking for at this point in my career.

Interview Questions

• What would you plan for the ultimate Yelp Elite event?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working 60 hour work weeks? You don't just work at Yelp - you live it.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and later contacted to conduct a phone interview. A few days after that, I was asked to have a Skype interview (with same person), complete a writing test, and then I spoke with another senior level regional manager over the phone.

The CM position is a remote roll, so all interviews were held over the phone or Skype. The hiring manager was very communicative via email and kept me in the loop through the entire process. I did go about 2 weeks without hearing anything back, but that was over Christmas.

Interview Questions

• Give background experiences that relate to this position.   Answer Question
    • Describe your perfect Elite event.   Answer Question
    • What is the number one thing you may need to teach business owners about Yelp's free services?   Answer Question
    • What metrics do you think you will be evaluated against?   Answer Question
    • Writing test questions:
      1) Get us excited about a fantastic birthday party you are throwing for yourself using only 140 characters.
      2) Get us really excited about the very last meal you had (even if it was cereal over your kitchen sink). 100 words.
      3) Get us really, really, excited about your plans this weekend (even if your “plans” include waking up in the PM and wearing Crocs all day). 250 words.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online received an email request for a phone interview with the Regional Manager. The first phone interview was casual and seemed to be she was gathering information on my background, interests and fit for position. Was then contacted by a Community Manager of another state for a Skype interview. More in-depth questions but kind of quick and casual. Both were very friendly and didn't ask anything that was difficult to answer.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent my resumé and cover letter, received an email several days later requesting a phone conference. Talked with Regional Marketing Director on the phone and then in person several days later. Completed a writing test (sample newsletter) and had a video conference with the VP of North American Marketing. Received an email several days later stating that another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what events I've thought about holding for Elites. I hadn't been asked to brainstorm on this beforehand, so I was caught a bit off-guard.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. Within a day or two, I had a request for a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was easy going, and I felt it was about verifying I was who I said I was in my cover letter and resume. My cover letter was a hit, and probably got me the first interview. I was asked to interview in person within two weeks with a regional director who traveled to our city. This interview was in a local restaurant, and was also fairly easy going, and included the current CM. I came very prepared and even provided questions and answers they had not considered. I was asked to attend an elite event for that happened to be the next day, late that evening by email. After the elite event, I was scheduled for a skype interview with another higher up (VP of Marketing, I believe) the following week. That interview was not as easy going, and included questions about my city, my experience in my current position, and what I would do for my first elite event as CM. The process slowed a bit here - one week of decision making, then another week with decision makers on vacation. Three days into the following week (approx 2.5 weeks later), I received an email stating they had offered the position to someone else. Over all this was a in depth, pleasant experience which I felt was very relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about Marketing yourself? How would you go about connecting the community? What would be your first elite event? What books have you read lately? If you could do anything, and money was no object, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Applied online. A regional manager reached out to me via e-mail and arranged a skype interview. After that, I was moved along to the writing test which had 3 questions. Then had 3 more skype interviews with another senior community manager and senior executives in the community department. Overall, it was a great experience and everyone I spoke to seemed to love working for Yelp.

Interview Questions

• If I were to visit you for a day, tell me all your favorite places in *city* you would take me?   Answer Question
    • What is one word you'd use to describe yourself?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a dream event you'd love to attend and/or plan.   Answer Question

Company Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in October 2017.

Interview

Nice Company to work for. The process is easy, does good things, and i enjoyed. This is a good starting point to get into the company and move forward.

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and then within that same day I received a call for a 15 minute phone interview. Then was asked to come in the next day to do an in person. I saw 3 of the local sales managers, each seemed to take on a different character or roll. The first one kept yawning so I asked if she had a long night and the rest of that part went well. The second was very enthusiastic and excited. The third was trying to be more harsh and standoffish but after a few jokes warmed up even though he was trying to keep his game face on.

Lastly was an interview with a senior manager then one of the directors on the 3rd day. Started the very next Monday.

Associate Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Contacted through university recruiting. Interview was over phone, asked behavioral questions about my resume and then did some role playing selling to a company. They give feedback afterwards on what to improve on.

Associate Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted for an interview the next day. I was contacted to set up an over the phone interview. Questions were basic, and kind of asked in rapid fire. Also had trouble hearing due to the noise in the background of the office.

Interview Questions

• What would you say in a voice message for a prospective lead who won't answer your calls or seems uninterested?   Answer Question