Yelp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017
1,835 Interview Reviews

2.9

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

15 min hackerrank, HR interview, technical skype interview, onsite (i didn't make it to the onsite). The recruiter was nice during our HR interview, but i'm pretty sure that was just a front as she never responded to any of my emails (other than the ones for setting up the phone interview/hacker rank). That was a little offsetting as it contrasted to what I had read about Yelp and their culture. What was further upsetting for me was that as I was in the middle of my thought process for coding his sort question, he just said sorry that's incorrect. after I finished, he had told me that I was correct. he's kinda quick to judge you, so be forewarned if you have to interview with him. if you do, please tell him to be patient before he automatically dismisses you as a candidate. he definitely seemed like, despite having good experience as a software engineer, that it was his first time conducting an interview. he also only left 5 minutes for you to ask questions...for a company that makes an emphasis on cultural fit, that was certainly a big contrast... if anybody gets him as interviewer, be warned! also, yelp please try ask someone with more experience interviewing candidates so they arent quick to judge and dismiss candidates like that. im pretty sure since he made his judgment quick that that's why i didnt move on

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

15 minute coding challenge which was really easy followed by a 1 hour long Skype call. The question he asked was actually a fairly easy to average sorting question, I eventually got the answer after getting confused in the beginning. Interviewer was very clear and friendly and gave me hints when I hit road blocks.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

There was a phone conversation with a recruiter, a Skype call with a product manager, and an onsite interview. The onsite interview was around 2 hours long, with 4 30 minute conversation. I despise it when interviewers try to condescend and/or don't pay attention to me when I'm responding. I am, why else are you there, interviewer? I have been to several PM interviews before and this one was the least interesting and most annoying.

I should have known, since most of the interview experiences on Glassdoor for similar positions were negative.

Yelp, maybe you should use data to create better interview processes.

Interview Questions

• Showed me a random page on Yelp and asked me how I would use it. This interview probably doubled as a usability study for this interviewer. Then, in the last 5 minutes, asked me how I would redesign it.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied online and after 1 month of application date, got a mail from an employee if I was interested in proceeding with the interview process. After that, there was a HackeRank coding challenge.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Streamlined process. Started with phone screening from recruiter, then a call with a sales manager. After that, one in person with 2 managers followed by an online presentation going over the offer.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

My resume was submitted by someone who already works there. I received an email to set up a phone interview, and then after that I had a Skype interview (because it was an out of state position). For the Skype interview I talked to two people; the second person was the sales manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The first interview is 15 min phone call with a Sales manager, if this goes well a second interview is scheduled. The second interview is an onsite interview and role play with another sales manager

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what are the main challenges of the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The interview experience was very positive for me. The recruiters were prompt, and very accommodating of my timeline. There were 4 stages:

1. Tech challenge on hackerrank (1hr), fairly easy
    2. Phone screen (1hr), ask about resume + coding question on coderpad
    3. Onsite (4 x 45 min), a mix of questions about the resume and coding questions

The onsite interviewers were great about making sure your interest as a developer is heard, and Yelp does a team matching in the end. The questions were a good mix of data structure, algorithm, and your understanding of web services, data base optimization, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had a brief phone interview just asking about background information. Came in a few days later for an hour long interview. It consisted of a group tour, watching a few videos on the account executive role, and then a one-on-one interview to finish up. This included more questions about my background, a few quick role plays, and a chance for me to ask questions. I received the job offer but did not accept after finding a better fit at a different company. (Also, the reviews for this position were veeery consistently bad, and I didn't want to be a part of that)

Interview Questions

• Role play where I had to tell someone who has never heard of Yelp about what they do and how ads on yelp could help their business. Not bad at all... interviewer gave me feedback, I had a chance to do it again.   Answer Question

Technical Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I received an email from the manager with five prompts requiring an essay for each prompt before I could even speak to the manager on the phone. Six pages and a budget spreadsheet later, I completed the prompts and sent it back. The manager thanked me for my submission and said they would be in touch. I never heard from them again, this essay was a complete waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Plan and budget an on campus recruiting event. Explain your thought process behind every event chosen and attach a spreadsheet with the budget.   Answer Question