Yelp Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2018
2,163 Interview Reviews

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Applied online. A regional manager reached out to me via e-mail and arranged a skype interview. After that, I was moved along to the writing test which had 3 questions. Then had 3 more skype interviews with another senior community manager and senior executives in the community department. Overall, it was a great experience and everyone I spoke to seemed to love working for Yelp.

Interview Questions

• If I were to visit you for a day, tell me all your favorite places in *city* you would take me?   Answer Question
    • What is one word you'd use to describe yourself?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a dream event you'd love to attend and/or plan.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent my resumé and cover letter, received an email several days later requesting a phone conference. Talked with Regional Marketing Director on the phone and then in person several days later. Completed a writing test (sample newsletter) and had a video conference with the VP of North American Marketing. Received an email several days later stating that another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what events I've thought about holding for Elites. I hadn't been asked to brainstorm on this beforehand, so I was caught a bit off-guard.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. Within a day or two, I had a request for a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was easy going, and I felt it was about verifying I was who I said I was in my cover letter and resume. My cover letter was a hit, and probably got me the first interview. I was asked to interview in person within two weeks with a regional director who traveled to our city. This interview was in a local restaurant, and was also fairly easy going, and included the current CM. I came very prepared and even provided questions and answers they had not considered. I was asked to attend an elite event for that happened to be the next day, late that evening by email. After the elite event, I was scheduled for a skype interview with another higher up (VP of Marketing, I believe) the following week. That interview was not as easy going, and included questions about my city, my experience in my current position, and what I would do for my first elite event as CM. The process slowed a bit here - one week of decision making, then another week with decision makers on vacation. Three days into the following week (approx 2.5 weeks later), I received an email stating they had offered the position to someone else. Over all this was a in depth, pleasant experience which I felt was very relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about Marketing yourself? How would you go about connecting the community? What would be your first elite event? What books have you read lately? If you could do anything, and money was no object, what would you do?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Interview

The process will take a few rounds of interviews with a regional director and perhaps another. My experience involved a conversational interview with questions about how I see myself working in the position and what I might want to contribute. General questions like how my past positions will help me reach my goals, etc. The hiring process depends on how quickly they are looking to fill the position. My position was an immediate hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I felt like all the questions were typical expected questions. If you're not a good writer, you might want to brush up on your Yelpy writing skills, because you'll need to pass a writing test.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and later contacted to conduct a phone interview. A few days after that, I was asked to have a Skype interview (with same person), complete a writing test, and then I spoke with another senior level regional manager over the phone.

The CM position is a remote roll, so all interviews were held over the phone or Skype. The hiring manager was very communicative via email and kept me in the loop through the entire process. I did go about 2 weeks without hearing anything back, but that was over Christmas.

Interview Questions

• Give background experiences that relate to this position.   Answer Question
    • Describe your perfect Elite event.   Answer Question
    • What is the number one thing you may need to teach business owners about Yelp's free services?   Answer Question
    • What metrics do you think you will be evaluated against?   Answer Question
    • Writing test questions:
      1) Get us excited about a fantastic birthday party you are throwing for yourself using only 140 characters.
      2) Get us really excited about the very last meal you had (even if it was cereal over your kitchen sink). 100 words.
      3) Get us really, really, excited about your plans this weekend (even if your “plans” include waking up in the PM and wearing Crocs all day). 250 words.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a regional manager to have a phone interview. The conversation went well and I was advanced to the writing sample round of the interview process, but I withdrew to pursue an opportunity elsewhere. I got the impression that the workload would be very heavy and that there would be very long work hours. This isn't something I'm looking for at this point in my career.

Interview Questions

• What would you plan for the ultimate Yelp Elite event?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working 60 hour work weeks? You don't just work at Yelp - you live it.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online received an email request for a phone interview with the Regional Manager. The first phone interview was casual and seemed to be she was gathering information on my background, interests and fit for position. Was then contacted by a Community Manager of another state for a Skype interview. More in-depth questions but kind of quick and casual. Both were very friendly and didn't ask anything that was difficult to answer.

Company Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in October 2017.

Interview

Nice Company to work for. The process is easy, does good things, and i enjoyed. This is a good starting point to get into the company and move forward.

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New Orleans, LA) in May 2015.

Interview

got an email requesting a phone interview after submitting an application online. Talked on the phone for about 30 minutes doing a couple role plays of sales calls. If you pass, then they ask you to come in or do a video interview with 2 managers. Do some more role plays of sales calls. They do a background check if you pass, and then get an answer relatively quickly in about a week or so

Interview Questions

• Leave a voicemail for a business owner you want to set up an appointment with   1 Answer

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2014.

Interview

You wait in the lobby and then one of the recruiters come and get you. They show you the room where people are working and loud music playing. Show you the current new hires and the area where you would work if hired. Then you are taken into a room to wait for 3 managers to come in and do some role playing with you. After that one manager leaves another one comes in and role play with you. Of course one has to be mean, nice and neutral.