Yelp 1,007 Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

1,007 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • fully stocked kitchen, young culture (in 65 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is great with no work outside of the regular 830-530 (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • but that business owners mostly deride ("I can't believe that Yelpers are allowed to write whatever they want (in 85 reviews)

• Work/life balance is essentially non-existent unless employee is very good at saying no (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales MBA"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent almost 2 years at Yelp. It's a rollercoaster. Full of great colleagues, awesome mentors, and a challenging job (but once you get the hang of it you'll pitch-on-the-fly and feel like a boss).

You are responsible for the full sales cycle. From introduction to close. You will have difficult conversations about selling them Yelp ads with SMB prospects. It's challenging, but what you will also have a team, an organization, readily available for you to learn and execute with.

I owe everything I know about my profession to this opportunity I got here.

Thanks Yelp! :)

Cons

It's tough.

This is not meant for someone that isn't ready to live in a role where you will live in failure. The beautiful part of the role is when, you execute... it's extremely gratifying! :)

Advice to Management

More paths available to those that want to challenge their skillsets to in a different capacity. The management path is awesome... Some are better individual contributors, like me! :)

Also compensate better! You're not competitive amongst the other AE roles in the bay area...

2. "You'll have trouble finding a better company culture or better co-workers."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, hands down. Imagine an office that hires fun, friendly, energetic and positive people. I made some of the best friends I will ever have here. My managers, directors and even the VP of local sales treat you with the highest level of respect. You are pushed every day to be the best version of yourself as well as to be disciplined.

Cons

Its sales. Sales is hard. People tend to feel strongly about Yelp and sometimes their preconceived notions about the company and the reviews can make the job difficult because of how emotional the conversations can be at times. The company provides a coffee bar with two baristas, and though the coffee brand changes every few months, the taste does not. Everyone in the office generally agrees that they hate the coffee but because it is free, its difficult to lodge a complaint about this.

Advice to Management

Management is great at what they do and if you work hard, you do get a sense that they want to help you in any way possible. Hopefully as the company increases its foothold in the local advertising space, base compensation can become more competitive with other tech ad sales roles so that a small element of the daily stress is mitigated.

3. "Good far outweighs the bad"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

I'm what you call a skeptical optimist. I try to see the best in situations while always reading for the red flag b.s. No place is perfect, but I must say Yelp is a very smart investment! Here are some perks:

Some diversity
    Amazing base pay
    Work-life balance
    Youth driven
    Supportive leaders
    Fun gatherings (without that zombie, cult-like feel)
    Casual wear
    Supportive leaders
    Free company funded snacks and beverages

Cons

Meetings could be reduced, especially in the first month, when we're getting used to phone times to hit our metrics.

Sink or swim. Supportive section leaders as mentioned above, but keep in mind they manage teams of 12-15 people at a time. There's no time to hold hands, so my advice is take PLENTY of notes, especially in meetings and implement feedback from your leader when s/he comes around. They're patient with minor mistakes are cool, but don't repeat them.

Div

Advice to Management

Cut down a bit on the meetings in the initial phone week, it distracts the our learning curve.

Otherwise, you guys are top notch!

5. "Sales"

Pros

great work environment great benifits

Cons

you sit at a desk all day long if you dont like this your out the door

6. "Nice place"

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere for where it is

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the place.

7. "good place to start off"

Pros

fun enviornment, young people, if you're good and you work hard you can move up fast

Cons

favoritism can make it hard for promotions even if you are most qualified, pay is low and you don't start getting comission immediately, cold calling isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

do promotions based more heavily on lifetime performance and consistency not how many people know your name

8. "Good"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great benefits like free food

Cons

Not that great of pay

"Sales Sales Sales"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

The people, culture, and management are all great. Huge opportunity to be successful and make a lot of money. Very transparent & honest all around.

Cons

It's a fast-paced, high pressure sales environment. There are no other opportunities for growth in another position besides sales management or other selling to larger clients.

Advice to Management

You're great, keep doing what you're doing.

10. "Yelp Account Executive Full Time Position"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Work environment, daily meals and kitchen, gym

Cons

Doing the same thing every day
    Cold calling

Advice to Management

Give employees more opportunities for growth.

"DDGD = Death by double green dials"

Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great snacks, free beer. They have hiring down to a science, so you'll get along with 95% of the other reps. I met some of my best friends there and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have lasted 2 years.

Cons

Upper management is incredibly disconnected from the day to day experiences of the sales reps. They constantly make changes to the sales process, commission, and rules - in two years not a single change benefited the Rep... Actually wait, they bumped the salary by 4K for Junior Account Executives, but it's still far below the industry average.

Advice to Management

I understand that it's a large sales org that can afford to churn and burn new hires, but there has to be some compromise. For the first year you shouldn't have reps talking about how depressed they are and how poor they are...and not just bad reps, good ones too. You're hiring a lot of very talented and educated individuals, but it's irrelevant when you treat them like garbage.

Showing 1,007 of 1,057 reviews