Yelp Reviews

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,877 Ratings

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

9m

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Tech

203.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yelp~43314
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "the people there are great and it looks good to have Yelp on your resume.(in 371 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and perfect for highly motivated outbound sellers or people who respond to high energy management.(in 338 reviews)
  • "Something that is so great about working here is the culture and investment the managers actually have in your life.(in 270 reviews)
  • "Free food and snacks which is important if you are on a fixed income at the beginning.(in 193 reviews)
  • "The Product! Yelp is easy to sell with their great training and proven product that works for small businesses.(in 170 reviews)
Cons
  • "Managers and Directors for the life of theirs do not admit there are better territories to call 2 than others.(in 231 reviews)
  • "Micro management, your boss is like a buddy and that can be complicated at times, it gets ridiculously monotonous and the pay sucks.(in 200 reviews)
  • "Low pay and not enough resources(in 183 reviews)
  • "I don't understand how they expect people to survive off such a low salary.(in 103 reviews)
  • "Also you don't make commission unless you're really really good and can hit their commission 'threshold' they have every calendar month.(in 71 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Love it

May 10, 2022 - Client Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great flexibility and chances for promotions

Cons

Position promotion but hard to climb later to manager

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We know that having time away from work and some flexibility can be critical to the success and well-being of our employees, and we're happy to hear that you're feeling supported in maintaining that healthy work-life balance. If you have any questions, we encourage you to lean on your manager. They are here to help you succeed and accomplish your goals. Thank you so much for all of your hard work, and we look forward to many more years of growth!

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

May 10, 2022 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

In-depth training process, constant feedback, decent commission, opportunities to move up

Cons

Constantly hanging a carrot in front of you, make you jump through hoops for promotions sometimes, not consistent with messaging across departments, can get stagnant. Most people don't stay past 5 years on average because better paying jobs out there after a certain level in the company

Yelp Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are so glad that you are having an overall great experience on our team. It's awesome to hear you loved the Yelp Sales Development Program and that you saw a clear path to success in your role. While we understand it can be challenging to be held accountable to specific metrics on a daily basis, we know that this is the best way one can be successful in sales. We appreciate your opinions and hope that you continue having conversations with your manager about the "why" behind the things you're asked to complete.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good Company

May 9, 2022 - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

No BS Leads provided Equipment Provided Good Training Good Pacing

Cons

Saturated Market Desperate Managers Constrained Overworked leads Hammered leads

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We are so glad that you had an overall awesome experience on our team! While sales can be a fast-paced environment with many challenges, our Account Executives are at the core of our success and of many business owners who trust Yelp to help their businesses grow. Thank you for your input and for your time with us!

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Job

May 9, 2022 - Inside Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of support and good money.

Cons

You can't take this job lightly.

Yelp Response

We're so glad to hear you had a five-star experience while working at Yelp! An exciting career should always have a good balance of challenges and rewards, and it sounds like you found that here. While challenges can be expected in any sales role, Account Executives can always count on a supportive team and manager that are always there to help and cheer you on. We're thankful for your time and contributions to Yelp, and wish you the best of luck in your next role.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company w/ Some Improvement Needed

May 5, 2022 - Restaurant Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing team - great management (I've heard this varies from team to team) Fun Culture Lots of autonomy Nice benefits (excluding pay/PTO)

Cons

Pay is low for tech company - it's about 20-30K off from market value. They are losing good people to competitive salary based companies and better PTO. PTO starts at 3 weeks, 2 additional days given AFTER 2 years. Very low for tech space. Yelp seems to hire pretty green sales people - they should invest more in seasoned sales execs to generate more business They restructure often and changed titles to which make zero sense. This leads to folks lacking trust in upper leadership.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Yelp has got it right.

May 3, 2022 - Senior Elite Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with Yelp 4 years. I even left and came back. Pay is ok for an AE base wise. Commission depending on your hustle can be fantastic, it could be nothing. It's sales though what do you expect? Can you get a better base? Heck yeah. But is salary the end all be all for you? What about a very strong emphasis on work life balance? You leave work for the day, YOU ARE DONE. Enjoy your families or vices, Yelp will not bother you off the clock. What about Health insurance? I've got my kids and spouse covered on what I view as some of the best insurance in the industry and Yelp pays a GOOD portion of that. Pay me to go to the gym? Hell yes. What about incentives? You hit your number daily, you just might leave early. You just might make 90 - 120k and only work 30-40 hour work weeks. Are you a minority like me? How about never even realizing it. Yelp doesn't see color, gender, ethnicity or sexual preference. You are what you bring to the table on a daily basis. I've never experienced this in my life up until Yelp. Now the big thing. Culture. How about office leads that have children? Managers from all ethnic groups. Teammates from all cultural backgrounds. How about never feeling stupid when asking a question?

Cons

If you don't plan to truly invest yourself into Yelp, maybe the base is a little low. Some people use their 9-5 to fund their personal endeavors with hopes to eventually work for themselves. Depending on the timeline of your goal, maybe the base isn't high enough for you but then I challenge you - why take a sales role if you're concerned about the base? We do this to make commission. Maybe the cold calling is an issue for you but hey, it's sales. If you're reading this and you have an issue with cold calling - apply to a different industry this isn't for you. Listen I don't drink the Corporate Kool-Aid at all. Believe me, but I am telling you this is a company you can work for and grow and develop your professional and personal life.

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your five-star feedback! We are so glad you made the choice to come back home to Yelp after exploring other career opportunities. We appreciate your input, it helps us know we're headed in the right direction. Keep up the great work!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far so good!

May 6, 2022 - Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Data driven environment where you can drive your roadmap * Feel empowered to make decisions, take actions and unlock value *People are smart, kind, interesting and helpful as you onboard

Cons

* So much to learn as you onboard (to get to the depth you need to be successful)

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! It is so great to hear that you're having such an awesome experience on our team. We are so glad that you feel empowered to take action and achieve success. Our people truly make Yelp an awesome place to work, and we are so happy that you have found that here as well. Keep up the wonderful work and we look forward to many years of growth with you on our team!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

They care about their employees

May 4, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home M-F (no weekends!) Great benefits - more than any previous company I've worked for. Work life balance Great support from upper management

Cons

Takes a little time to get familiar with Salesforce and script...BUT, upper management is there to help you along the way, without threats of being terminated.

9. 4.0

Laid off due to covid

May 2, 2022 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great training program, great work culture, snacks!

Cons

management are young, 25 year olds, immature and play favorites

Yelp Response

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad that you found our comprehensive training program to be valuable! It's tough to fail at your job here because Yelp provides and continues to provide training, mentorship, and career guidance for advancement within the company. In addition, it's so great to hear that you are enjoying being a part of our diverse and inclusive culture. Our people truly make Yelp an awesome place to work! When it comes to management, we pride ourselves on promoting from within, which means for some, this is their first leadership position! All of our managers go through two different programs before being selected to become people leaders. The Manager Development Program (MDP) is a classroom-based curriculum designed to teach the fundamentals of the role. Candidates who successfully pass MDP then need to earn a spot in our Coaching Development Program (CDP), a 3 month "on-the-job" training whereby we start to put classroom principles taught in MDP into practice. This is not a management job, but a way for us to see whether candidates can coach and operate according to our standards. We appreciate your feedback, and we encourage you to lean on your manager if you have any questions or if you're in need of any extra support. We are so thankful for all of your hard work!

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

fun company great people but high pressure

May 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

team, culture, celebrate small wins

Cons

high pressure and which manager you get matters a lot

Yelp Response

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed being a part of our diverse and inclusive culture, We agree that one of the best parts of our culture is that we take the time to celebrate even the smallest of wins! We encourage our employees to lean on their managers and leadership team for support and encouragement when they are in need of extra support. Managers can help folks push through the hurdles, work through the tough calls, and cheer them on when they close a sale. Thank you for your suggestions and feedback, they ultimately help us make Yelp a better place to work for everyone!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,815 Reviews
</>Embed

Yelp Reviews FAQs

Yelp has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 3,972 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at Yelp to a friend and 53% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Yelp employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Yelp. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

64% of Yelp employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Yelp 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Yelp to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Yelp Job Seekers