Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

1,644 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a fully stocked kitchen (but you'll get sick of that food quickly)" (in 93 reviews)

• "Work/life Balance - Tell me another company in NYC that actually wants you to leave at 5:30pm and take PTO to enjoy your life" (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • "The business owners account is not even willing to point out unique traffic to" (in 131 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"local sales manager"

Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

supportive culture, quick career growth, amazing product, great benefits and corporate support.
    Honestly my time at Yelp has been unlike anywhere else. I was expecting another "sales" position but was pleasantly surprised to be imursed into a culture where my peers and managers honestly cared abot my growth and paved the way for my future. I was able to quickly move up the ladder and create a career under an amazing name. I've been here 4 years already and cant imagine ever leaving. The culture and what the company stands for are honestly some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I have honestly never had any complaints about the company minus your typical lulls you'll face at any job

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and working 1:1 with myself and reps to pave the path.

"Looking to build a great sales career? We know just the place..."

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership: This is Yelp's greatest strength. Not only do they groom strong leaders internally, they also bring in phenomenal leaders externally. People don't leave jobs, they leave managers, right? In my 4+ years as a manager, all three of my directors were fully engaged in their work, and very much invested in my personal growth and success. They have shown me the blueprint of what truly great leadership is, and I am forever grateful.

Mission: Connecting people with great local businesses. How can a mission be so simple, yet so exciting? Yelp is an indispensable part of my life (more than Facebook, more than Google), and I had a blast preaching this to business owners. Now that I no longer work there, I'm excited to start contributing content again, and rejoin Yelp's Elite Squad.

Career path: Yelp is exactly what an entry-level sales job should be. Work hard, kick butt at your job, and you will be recognized. Doors will open for you, either in leadership or in advanced sales. Yelp is constantly piloting exciting new roles to create new revenue streams for the company, and are looking for capable, ambitious professionals to lead the charge. Just make sure you are vocal about what you want, and don't expect handouts to fall in your lap.

Cons

Culture: Some will argue this is a positive, but it became a negative for me as I matured professionally. Yelp hires a lot of new college grads, many of whom are accepting their very first job out of college and have no idea what they want to do in life. Unless you hustle and advance yourself to the Client Partner Org or the National org, you won't exactly be surrounded by sales "professionals."

Advice to Management

Do not neglect your most valuable senior managers. You've invested a lot into paying Local AE's more competitively, because they are the engine that makes the org run. You've also structured salary and equity for Directors and above to be quite competitive, as you should, considering how valuable they are. It's the middle to senior level managers that get left behind.

My advice is to start evaluating managers more holistically when they get to senior. What impact do they have on their org outside of just their team's number? What would the opportunity cost be if they were to leave? For many young professionals (myself included), Senior Manager is right around when they become self-aware, and start to understand their true value. If you pay top managers the same salary as mediocre managers, you are creating a discrepancy by undervaluing your top managers. As these top managers become self-aware, if this discrepancy is not addressed, it will be self-corrected with departures.

Retaining your most successful senior managers means your top AE's and CP's will stick around and pursue it as a career path.

"Perspective is Everything"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking at Glassdoor to decide where to start or advanced your career - I hope you'll take the time to read about my experience at Yelp. I believe that my perspective is different than many you'll see here.

This review is not just about the Account Executive position because if you come to work at Yelp, it's not about the job you start with or the skills you start with. It's about the job you're willing to work for and the skills you push yourself to gain. I recently left Yelp after 3.5 years to pursue other interests but I'm so thankful for the company and the opportunities I was given - maybe my perspective will help you find the same.

Let's start with the most important part of working at Yelp - it's hard! I started right out of college in SF as an Account Executive in 2014. The job was exactly as described - tons of cold calling. In fact, the reality of sales is if you're not on the phone you're not advancing your career. Anyway - I digress. I was 6 months in and I hated it. In fact, you could probably look at some of the other glass door reviews and see exactly how I felt. But here's the thing - unlike many of the people I worked with. I decided to take the challenge head on and see what I could make of it.

I started focusing on what I could learn and let me tell you something. This job has more opportunities to learn pivotal skills than any entry level job I've come across. Your communication is pushed all the time, your ability to handle rejection and persevere is so key that it becomes second nature.

For the next 9 months I focused on skill building. I became great at building relationships. I was pushed to constantly improve and learn and become an expert in countless fields. I was pushed to apply for leadership programs and held to a high standard - one I became accustomed to hitting.

After 1.5 years I was promoted to management. The opportunity of a life-time in my eyes. I was able to grow a team of individuals I cared for deeply and we pushed each other to better ourselves all the time. I was able to learn public speaking skills, I learned how to read data like a professional and my sales skills were pushed to grow at all times.

After about a year - another opportunity came about and I moved to Chicago where I worked with some of the best people I've meet. The culture and the work environment are top notch. The leaders from the top down are amazing to work with - plus the Office Head has a British Accent - always a plus!

This job is about opportunity. Opportunity isn't easy but it's worth it. If you want to push yourself and become the best version of yourself - come work for Yelp and see what you're capable of.

My perspective is different because I looked at the "negatives" as learning opportunities. The paths towards career advancement, the compensation and benefits, and the workplace culture made this a no brainer for me. No job is perfect but my life is undeniably better for my time at Yelp!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. There are a ton of calls involved and the job isn't going to change.

You need to push yourself. You need to have a great attitude. You need to outwork your peers. You need to be intrinsically motivated. If you're all of these things - this jobs for you.

Lack of diversity is a concern but up against other Tech peers Yelp is no worse. I would have loved to see more initiatives for diversity at the management level but from my understanding leadership acknowledges this and is working to see it improved!

Advice to Management

Always remember to believe in your people! It's what made me so successful at Yelp. So many of my managers believed in me I had no choice but to succeed.

4. "Review"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Nice office building, great benefits, relaxed environment.

Cons

Terrible pay, difficult to move up, no challenge.

5. "National Account Executive"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

-Great atmosphere
    -Awesome work life balance
    -Full health benefits (vision, dental, health)
    -401k matching + stock options

Cons

-College type sales environment
    -Management politics

Advice to Management

-Actively listen to your employees' feedback and show that it's actually valuable

6. "Great work life balance"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

positive atmosphere, work life balance is great, get in at 830 leave at 530, never really push you to work overtime, cool work place

Cons

its a sales job so at times it can feel like a grind. promotions at times seems to be unfair. franchise is a move towards a dead end position.

"Good place to grow, super friendly environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of learning and development opportunities.
     - Given the company's size, most teams have a big individual impact on the Yelp
    product.
    - Good work life balance, super friendly environment.

Cons

The career development framework for engineering is not well defined and many folks leave after 2-3 years for companies that offer a clearer path with well-defined milestones.
    Perks and benefits are subpar.

Advice to Management

Aim for bolder improvements in terms of design and feature. Relying on incremental changes and repeating that Google is Evil won't help the company, innovating will.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard and it pays off

Cons

Not for the weak

9. "Marketing Intern"

I worked at Yelp part-time

Pros

Fun company to work for. Great opportunites to get to know your local community.
     Hours are flexible and a lot of the work is one your own time.

Cons

Pay does not increase over time with this position.

Advice to Management

N/a

10. "AE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Environment's awesome, motivating, free food, benefits right off the bat!

Cons

It's demanding, so if you aren't competitive and can't handle stress it probably isn't for you.

Showing 1,644 of 1,722 reviews