Yelp Reviews

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,632 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Yelp and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's going to be what you make of it.

Apr 26, 2021 - Associate Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Loved the culture and my team - Great benefits - Enjoyed gaining more experience in my sales career - Work hard, play hard environment

Cons

- Quotas are tough, one employee in my training class made a sale within the first 3 weeks - STRICT management. I feel completely disregarded as a human being a lot of the time, especially being remote. Was terminated for being sick very rapidly although I poured myself into this job. What's the point of going all in if your employer won't go all in on you?

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! You're absolutely right, your career growth is entirely what you make of it! We work hard to give you the training, tools, resources, and support to help you hit your goals. Sounds like you found plenty of success in your time at Yelp and we're happy to hear that enjoyed growing in your role. Your feedback is heard, and we want to do all we can to make sure our employees continue to feel valued. We'll share your feedback with our leadership team. We're thankful for your time at Yelp and wish you the very best of luck in your next role.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do NOT accept this role lol

May 9, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- coworkers can become your best friends - pantry - free cafe bar - benefit packages

Cons

- the entire role itself. if you love cold calling, getting cursed out at by business owners who have been contacted multiple times and still do not want yelp ads, and being micro managed by your manager and your director...this is the job for you. i only enjoyed coming to work for my co-workers/teammates. i loathed every second i was here and management will torture you with daily meetings on how they can help when literally...it's not you that can't close or sell. it's the fact these leads all have been contacted by yelp many times and hate us. even when you've exhaust your pipeline, they make you call business owners over and over again. management sucks. you are constantly being micro managed by your manager and they will play your phone calls out loud to your team and make your team give you constructive criticism. the day i put on my resignation, my manager literally still made me stay the whole day and "pretend" to work - so i had to still make dials and try to close. she didn't acknowledge me once, didn't come up to me, and was super cold and rude to me. within 5 minutes before dismissal, she then told me i could leave. she got mad at me for using my phone and pinged me to "try to look like i am working". horrible. also, NO CAREER GROWTH if you are in AE positon.

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things went. By listening to the needs of our employees, we are able to make Yelp a great place to work for everyone. Last year, we recognized the need to address offensive clients and prospective clients who use racially-charged language in their communications with our employees. We do not want their business, and will not tolerate hate speech directed at our employees. We've also implemented resources to make it easier and safer for employees to report internal incidents of discrimination or harassment. We're also working to create more paths to leadership through sponsorship and advocacy, and to establish checks and balances around promotions. Your input is heard, and we'll be sure to share it with our leadership team. Your contributions to the team are appreciated and we wish you the best of luck in your next role.

3. 2.0

Good Intro to Corporate Culture, but Toxic Workplace

Apr 29, 2021 - Sales Support Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong “team” culture, cool office with lots of perks, good initial training program

Cons

The Sales Team is under big pressure to meet quota and would manipulate both customers as well as coworkers. If you’re interacting directly with business owners whether in a customer service or sales role, be prepared to be screamed at on a fairly nonstop basis. To be fair, sales tactics would lead to business owners buying ad programs that they did not understand the full cost of due to misleading explanations of “promos” and “bonuses”. Business owners end up understandably upset after receiving massive bills for generally ineffective ad programs that they did not think they were paying for in the first place. The biggest problem to me was the way in which the Sales Team interacted with other employees, particularly the ones supporting them. The would frequently manipulate, yell, and flat out lie, yet there seemed to be very little effort or interest in curbing this behavior.

Yelp Response

We appreciate your thorough feedback. It's great that you enjoyed the culture at Yelp and saw the value in the Yelp Sales Development Program. The Yelp Sales Development Program teaches new team members new sales techniques and strategies, however, lying to our customers is not in our playbook, nor is it ever tolerated. We encourage our employees to bring their concerns to their managers when they see unethical behaviors, including any interactions with leadership that aren't in line with our values. If you'd like to share additional details with us about what happened, please do so at employeefeedback@yelp.com. Your feedback is heard, and we'll be sure to share it with our leaders so that we can continue making Yelp a great place to work.

4. 2.0

NOT WHAT THEY SAY IT WOULD BE

Apr 8, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits & some of the people

Cons

High school, frat house environment. It was shocking to see a publicly traded tech company is really low budget behind the scenes. The sales training, script, process is sub par. If you get a sale, which is referred to as a T, you're praised, if you do not pitch or get a T, they act like you are the worst thing in the world. There are 40 million UNWARRANTED meetings and trainings daily, but they want major out-put but constantly have you off the phone. It was shocking!!! The pressure runs downhill and the management is sub par as well. You are calling broke, angry, business owners that do not want to hear from you. The Ad's are not that expensive and the caliber of business owner's you're calling does NOT want to sign up. Very cliques, us against them vibes on teams. It is just not realistic . Overall the product is amazing and does work but the pressure placed on new AE's with 4 day sub par training to perform is NOT! They will tell you there is NO quota the first month, THERE IS! No one will tell you the truth, you'll just have to waste time and learn the hard way like me.

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. We're glad that you enjoyed having access to a robust offering of medical benefits and perks, but are sorry to hear that things could have gone better. We agree that the AE role can be challenging, which is an expectation we go to great lengths to set during the interview process. We want to make sure that everyone who comes onboard has a solid understanding of the highs and lows a career in sales can bring. With that said, it's common for any position to become more challenging initially as changes are made to the company. We're committed to always providing the best products possible for our business owners, so as the needs of our customers change, we adapt as an organization. This constant adaptation can certainly come with new challenges for our Account Executives, and will most likely require AEs to remain flexible and adapt their skills accordingly. Your input is heard and we'll be sure to share it with our leadership team so we can continue making Yelp a great place to work.

5. 4.0

Positive Culture, Low Pay

Apr 30, 2021 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I think there are two things that stand out to me about my time at Yelp. The first is the collegial atmosphere in the sales org. Many of the sales employees are younger, and bring a lot of energy to the job. I still have many good friends from my time there. The second positive aspect of the sales culture at Yelp is the quality of the training. I didn't know how to sell anything when I walked in the day, and was a top performer by the time I left.

Cons

Compensation often times felt unfair. The Sales org contributes a very large portion of the companies revenue, yet the base salary did not provide any sense financial security. Commission was ok, but never enough to offset exceedingly low salaries.

6. 1.0

The Closest Thing to a Legal Sweatshop

Apr 7, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good food, lots of food, and I was lucky that my coworkers were cool. They also said that there were opportunities for career advancement, and I was a top performer, but I never saw any opportunities.

Cons

Literally, everything else is a con. You're expected to be on the phone for 8 full hours, being harassed and slandered by Yelp's customers, without any tools that can actually help you address their situation. Not to mention your manager will probably encourage you to be super vulnerable and get very very personal and deep into your life, break you down, and give you no tools to build yourself back up. They just want you to trust them so that you will be dependent. Not to mention, this role is advertised as a "marketing consultant for small business owners" but don't let that fool you into thinking it is anything other than a call center for customer service. If you work in customer service and you like it, this would be a great role for you. HOWEVER, if you work in marketing this is NOT a job for you, even if the job description says it is. It WILL set your career back and the only thing you'll have to show for it is the word 'Yelp' on your resume. Nothing more.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Glamorized Telemarketing at Best

Apr 8, 2021 - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, uncapped commission, permanently remote positions, great company to have on resume, you will definitely build your sales acumen and online advertising knowledge. You will meet some good people over all. Everyone has their own little hustle. Yelp people always network.

Cons

Traditional sales org bs. You will have to navigate immature micromanaged leadership. You will live in a constant stress and doom of losing your job (even when you’re doing good). They give you so much “free stuff” and “perks” because the job it’s self it monotonous. You’re encouraged to harass local business owners in the name of being “tenacious” “being persistent” and “having grit”. Product does not work for majority of business unless they are spending big bucks. For me it was the lack of morality over all; management, sales tactics, essentially “motivating” you with “perks” and “money” that cause me to leave. The stress isn’t worth it.

2 people found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed having access to great benefits and perks, and that you met some great people during your time at Yelp. While a career in sales can be difficult and challenging in any organization, we understand that it may not be for everyone. We strive to be as transparent as possible during the interview process about the challenges that one can expect to face as an Account Executive. We also do all we can to make sure AEs are set up for success with the Yelp Sales Development Program, a transparent path for professional growth that outlines what you need to be doing every day, month, and quarter to reach the next level in our sales organization. As you progress through YSDP, you will be eligible for increases in compensation, title, and responsibilities, which will keep your career moving in the right direction. We're thankful for your input. We'll keep listening to the concerns and needs of our employees so we can support them as best we can.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company, Great Vision, Great Future!

May 3, 2021 - Engineering Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mid-size company where there is sufficient infrastructure to be efficient, and room to make your mark. Enough diversity to survive in any economic cycle, yet capable of growing significantly as small businesses grow as well. Our vision is meaningful - Helping people find great local businesses.

Cons

We are caught up in doing everything the Yelp way, which can seem strange for those who don't understand what "Yelpy" means.

9. 2.0

Horrible Pay Rookie Managers

Apr 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food in the office - You will learn how to hustle and manage your time - Training will reach you Salesforce basics and you’ll quickly learn to toughen up after lots of cold call rejection

Cons

- Managers are very young and inexperienced - Companies HATE Yelp, you will deal with lots of extremely angry business owners who won’t even let you talk because of past terrible experiences with Yelp - Lots of unethical sales practices and those who make the most money are the ones breaking all the rules - Compensation is pretty horrible and you don’t start making commission until after you sell a big chunk. It takes most people 2 months before they’re even eligible for commission. - Your commission will rely heavily on which territory you get and how many new businesses you get, in which you have no say. - Micromanagement is a real problem. Expect to be hounded every minute of every day, even if you’re doing really well.

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed having access to fully-stocked kitchens and saw the value in the initial sales training. It's unfortunate that your relationship with your manager wasn't the best. All of our managers go through a rigorous Leadership Development Program before being selected for management. We pride ourselves on promoting from within, and as a result we give some leaders the opportunity to do so for the first time in their career. We value training for all of our employees, including our managers, so training and coaching is an ongoing part of their career at Yelp. We hear your feedback and will be sure to share it with our leadership team so we can keep making Yelp a great place to work!

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great subsidies, toxic work environment!

May 17, 2021 - Junior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Yelp is a great place to get some footing when it comes to establishing experience in the sales world.

Cons

Most of the managers lack the proper managerial experience to lead a team effectively.

Yelp Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It's great to hear that you found your footing in sales at Yelp and that you were able to learn plenty of new skills in the role! We understand that having a manager than can help you continue growing professionally is an important part in any job. All of our managers go through a rigorous Leadership Development Program before being selected for management. We pride ourselves on promoting from within, and as a result we give some leaders the opportunity to do so for the first time in their career. We value training for all of our employees, including our managers, so training and coaching is an ongoing part of their career at Yelp. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you've found a role that is more closely aligned with what you're looking for.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,221 Reviews