Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeremy Stoppelman
1,036 Ratings

1,740 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, barista, amazing location in a really cool building" (in 102 reviews)

• "Work/life Balance - Tell me another company in NYC that actually wants you to leave at 5:30pm and take PTO to enjoy your life" (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • "The AE role can be challenging (high volume, speaking with business owners) but is also rewarding" (in 136 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"local sales manager"

Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

supportive culture, quick career growth, amazing product, great benefits and corporate support.
    Honestly my time at Yelp has been unlike anywhere else. I was expecting another "sales" position but was pleasantly surprised to be imursed into a culture where my peers and managers honestly cared abot my growth and paved the way for my future. I was able to quickly move up the ladder and create a career under an amazing name. I've been here 4 years already and cant imagine ever leaving. The culture and what the company stands for are honestly some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I have honestly never had any complaints about the company minus your typical lulls you'll face at any job

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and working 1:1 with myself and reps to pave the path.

2. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - National Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great training, great management.

Cons

poor starting salary but it is an easy place to move up within the company

3. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers/directors are very compassionate and care about your experience, opportunities for growth, opportunity to make money

Cons

Not everyone is cut out for sales, the job can be demanding and repetitive but that’s any sales position

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Thanks for your review! Your honesty with pros and cons of the sales role is very helpful.

4. "AE - It has its days"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just like everyone said, the free food and drinks, culture, work life balance, all cool. The managers really work with you to help you improve and do better with the job. If you like constructive criticism and constant feedback, you will love it. The benefits are awesome. Full health, dental and vision. Gym reimbursement, commuter benefits.

Cons

You call business owners alllllllllll day. Like literally. Cold calling can be annoying. I think I would like this job better if I did it from the comfort of my own home as opposed to having to be in the office at 830 am. I’m coming from a remote sales job so this is a huge transition for me.
    The office is noisy as crap, music being played alllll day. It always gets louder around 230-3pm. I’m assuming they think we all get a little sleepy after lunch. Every time some one gets a deal there is loud clapping and cheering and if you’re on the phone with business owners, they sometimes hear it and get annoyed.

It has its days though. Sales is a rollercoaster. Some days a great and some not so great. It’s your attitude that determines how you will feel through this. So stay positive, even when you get hung up on, Dont hit your numbers etc. if you let those things get you down, you won’t like that job. However, once you are doing well, learn how to sell Yelp thoroughly and have the confidence, it gets much better. I’m only a few months in and I’ve just learned that!

Advice to Management

Would love to see more diversity in management roles across the board.

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Thank you for the feedback about the noise volume in the office. We will pass this on to our Facilities team.

5. "Junior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fully stocked kitchens, benefits, perks, but the people are bar none some of the best around

Cons

Pay was a bit on the lower end but commissions made up for it

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the stellar individuals that you do. I can honestly say I met some of the most interesting but kindest people I’ve ever met when at Yelp. It made my time there enjoyable. Management always wanted me to succeed and when I even fell ill and was hospitalized they rallied around me. I am no longer there and have since moved on to more responsibility etc. however I truly appreciate the time I spent at Yelp and I want to say thank you. Liam crooks if you’re reading this thank you for believing in me and supporting me and being one of the funniest yet intelligently thoughtful Directors I’ve ever encountered and I’ve encountered a lot. Thank you! I truly mean that

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Thank you for your review! We agree that we are incredibly lucky to hire some of the most amazing people around - you included.

"Much better than expected!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- fully-stocked kitchen (free breakfast/lunch/snacks/etc)
    - free in-house barista
    - starts at $39k base salary
    - strong work-life balance (strict 8-hour days)
    - 2 months of training
    - 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision insurance
    - $60/mo wellness stipend
    - "celebrate every win" culture
    - free beer some days
    - strong corporate values
    - casual dress code
    - they're really patient with you and work hard to help you succeed

Cons

- 80+ dials/day
    - the people you call can be mean sometimes
    - music plays in the office to pump you up, but it can be loud and distracting sometimes
    - similarly, people ring a gong when they close and that can be distracting too
    - most employees are fresh out of college, which can be strange if you're older.

Honestly, working at Yelp is way better than the reviews led me to expect. Yes, it's a hard job. Yes, you will get hung up on. But your coworkers are great and the benefits are amazing! It can be stressful if you're not closing, but they're really patient with you as long as you work hard, implement feedback, and have a positive attitude.

If you do decide to work here, you need to have a self-care system in place. Make sure you're getting enough sleep and absolutely maintain a strong work-life balance. This is a job that requires a lot of mental energy. I'm not naturally a high-energy person, but ironing out my self-care system has done wonders for me.

Overall, this is a great place to work.

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Having a self-care system is a great piece of advice for any new Account Executive. Thanks for your feedback!

7. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - AAE in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AAE in Washington, DC

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, no politics, true meritocracy

Cons

Parking, ups & downs of sales

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing!!!

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

We agree - parking can sometimes be less than ideal. We will pass your feedback on to our Facilities team to look into improving parking options we give to employees!

8. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pro's to this company! Great culture, transparent career growth, surrounded by like-minded people, and fully stocked kitchens (helps you save A LOT of money)

Cons

There's a lot of rejection but at the end of the day, rejection is inevitable in sales.

9. "I love Yelp!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is awesome, energy is high, managers are caring + excellent!

Cons

Not able to leave reviews.

Advice to Management

N/A

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Thank you for your review. Writing reviews for businesses on Yelp is such a fun avenue to be part of, but specifically for our sales team we want to remove any opportunity for there to be a conflict... More

10. "Great for a time, but some challenges for tenured reps"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is incredible. You get the best sales training and hands on coaching throughout your career. Managers are empathetic and trained well. There are high exceptions but lots of potential to make a lot of money if you work hard. Work life balance is good, fully stocked kitchen and lifetime friends made here.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges here is in upward growth. It seems that tenure is not really appreciated here. The longer you are here, it's like you become old hat. Once you hit the Senior Executive pay raise there isn't a lot of incentive for growth or to stick around. The company says there are a lot of ways to grow, when in reality it is very competitive to get management, 5-9's, or most other roles in the company. If you don't have the willpower/mindset of a god, it can be hard to not get stagnant here over time. Not a lot of growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

I would really think about retention of your tenured employees. They bring so much knowledge and sales acumen to the company and there should be more incentives for them to stick around, even if they don't go into management or 5-9 or other roles. Sometimes feels like Yelp is just cycling through sales reps as fast as they can.

Sep 19, 2018 – Senior Sales Recruier

Thank you for your feedback. One of the great things about Yelp's sales program is that all of your raises, progressions, and promotions are based upon revenue that are set for you up front. The... More

Showing 1,740 of 1,820 reviews