Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeremy Stoppelman

1,372 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • at the end of the day you are just cold calling business owners (in 113 reviews)

• Work life balance is a bit off for those that are dedicated producers (in 33 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, jobs are challenging and management is supportive. Feels good to work for a company where you're passionate about the product and the mission of the company!

Cons

If you're looking for a lot of mobility into other departments, there aren't many transparent opportunities.

2. "Sales intern"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great work environment with energetic coworkers. Nice office buildings with plenty of accommodating space. Helpful mangers and mentors available for advice and growth.

Cons

Hard to move up in the ranks and establish a full time career. Financial pressures on sales personal to make sales in order to generate a livelihood.

Advice to Management

Increase room for growth in order to allow the entry personal room to move up in the yelp ranks.

3. "Great environment"

Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, especially the leadership team. The product actually works which makes you proud to work here.

Cons

The bar is sometimes lowered to help make underperforming reps feel more confident but it's sales and at the end of the day this should never be a theme in sales.

4. "Young Crowd, First Sales position"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Good culture, most people are young and you will make friends. Free food in the kitchen, but it gets old after a few months. Monthly wellness stipend up to $60. Apparently great healthcare (haven't had to use it yet)

Cons

The product you are initially selling isn't the best. Competitors include Google and Facebook. Get ready for a lot of mental lows.

Pay employees more. The commission breakdown is not super fair. Compensate better and make it easier to start earning commission. You will probably retain more employees by doing so.

5. "Great if you love sales"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Good environment and people, benefits are great.

Cons

High pressure to perform and sell

"Avoid Yelp Chicago Office"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm mid 20's been a rep at Yelp Chicago for about a year.
    I'm yes on Yelp, but a strong avoid on the Chicago office. Instead, Midwest candidates should apply in Arizona, NYC or new DC offices.

Cons

The elephant in the Chicago office not to.be discussed is the extremely weak territories to call into versus other offices. It's not the people, managers, training or the weather. It's the territories. Numbers don't lie, Chicago office finishes dead last in average revenue per rep by -30% quota every month since Ive been here. Poor performance has labeled the office, hence the domino effect. Making matters worse has been massive hiring and a drive to retain reps who would've been fired or quit. This should mean to you less sales skill development, exhausted mindset and minimal pay versus all the other offices. It has not been uncommon for me to call endlessly into depleted zip codes for weeks on end. I know perseverance, this is ridiculous. 90% of Chicago reps never make a commission check in a given month and 30% never make a sale. It's quite opposite in Arizona where a college friend has made $8k more than me doing exactly the same thing with the same skill set. Another friend in NYC, +$6k.
    The Chicago culture has dramatically changed over the last 6 months. People are literally climbing over each other to get a functional territory. Their is also a significant increase in the number of people who can't sell and/or burnt out vets who can't get another job. The performance bar has dropped dramatically lower. As a result, talented managers are forced to panhandle metrics on us into nauseum and angst. Metrics are a good 'tool' but provide no sales skill development past month 4. The three managers Ive had all seem scripted, controlling and micromanaged by directors. I had one director who regularly sent reps 10-12 emails a day which defeated anything my manager was trying to get done. Directors and managers are operating in a cluster of high talk time anxiety, while key sales skills like closing and effective pricing are forgotten. Instead directors choose to grandstand the 3-4% who hit bingo. I had a teammate recently who was trophied for metrics, but their revenue was only 4.1k over the last 2 months. When it comes to territories, Directors hold all the power here, picking favorites for safety over the real revenue producers. The formula seems to be keep lowering the bar, keep hiring, minimize commisions and churn-burn territories.
    Quite frankly Chicago leadership has lost me and many of my teammates.

Advice to Management

Leadership should be honest with candidates, reps and managers. Label Chicago as a not a not-for-profit office or take immediate action by reducing commission and bonus levels by -30% to reflect the territory crisis.

7. "Good sales person may not be a good sales manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good sales training, benefits, office perks

Cons

Sales management /whats up with gongs

Advice to Management

Yelp platform does not apply to all industries, do not train your sales managers to preach that it does, it creates unnecessary disagreement

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate performance feedback, regular company updates, rapid growth, plenty of opportunity for those that are hungry, primarily promotions from within, great atmosphere, availability to work in offices throughout US.

Cons

For some it is easy to only see the downside of the role when months are slow. Not for those without perseverance or strong work ethic.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Mediocre Sales Job"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Beer after 5 and good snack collection.

Cons

Everything about this place was just toxic. They try to keep sales fun in the end it was just a bunch of bogus gong rings, loud closing songs, and excess high fives and clapping.

The product doesn't even work for most businesses and you just feeling awful selling to small businesses owners knowing that it's most likely going to fail. You end up getting chargebacks and getting commission taken away if you hit a percentage on cancellations of programs. Account managers that are suppose to keep clients from canceling never really end up getting the job done and you get nothing but a negative commission check and wasted hours of pitching.

It's a 8-5 jobs but the days go by so slow when you have to make 65+ BS calls and have at least 2 hours of talk time. You get underpaid and they don't feed you proper food. There's tons of overly salted process deli meat, cheese, and bread for you eat, everyday.

In the end this job was a learning experience and it taught me that even though I loved Yelp's app, it didn't mean Yelp sales was great.

Advice to Management

Work on creating a product that actually works before having a bunch of college students sell the product for you.

10. "Excellent coworkers, but pointless job"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet are great and it looks great on your resume

Cons

It's truly amazing meeting some of the people you do. The job itself, makes you feel pointless, looking around at 800 people saying the exact same thing you're trained to say. Lack of creativity, but if you really put your mind to it, you can be good at this job. Also, don't listen to the "territory doesn't matter" stuff, because you can get a territory where the area isn't as progressive and YellowPages or something else is still the number 1 in the area. All the managers and directors parrot the EXACT same things, so it just get's a little annoying hearing "rapport" and them trying to convince you that we're changing lives by sales.

Advice to Management

Try to change it up a little bit, I'm not sure how, but the same exact process is the reason there is such a high turnover.

Showing 1,372 of 1,442 reviews