Zillow Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zillow Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

63 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow in December 2016.

Interview

My experience was a positive one. I got an email from a recruiter to do a phone screening. After talking with the recruiter, I got another email with information on a call to someone who works in the company. Next I got to interview with three other employees one on one. Each interview took 30 min.s to ask questions about me and my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Name two data structures and where would each one will be used   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Zillow

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

HackeRank link with the specific 2 problems and two phone interviews using HackeRank. They reply to email very fast and rescheduled one interview because there was some signal issue with my phone.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone interview - two problems, reverse the order of words in a sentence and the second one 4 numbers are missing, find them.
      2nd phone interview - traverse a binary tree and append the values to a string, use the string from part 1 to reconstruct the tree, unfortunately it's impossible to reconstruct a binary tree with only post traversal, however you can reconstruct a binary search tree
      At the end I received an email telling me that they are looking only for seniors.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview consists of three parts, two phone screens and one on site.

For the two phone screens, they are purely technical, and you were tested against one algorithm question in 45 minutes. The algorithm questions are about array. Please review on array.

Then HR invites me to do on site interview. For on site interviews, there are 5 rounds.

3 rounds are purely technical, you are tested with algorithm questions, especially in terms of dynamic programming. Please prepare for that. There is even one brain teaser problem, it is about merge sort, since I signed NDA, I will not disclose it. But the question is very interesting.

2 rounds are about behaviors. Please better prepare for what you did in your previous employer, why Zillow, your future career plan and so on.

All in all, all the questions are pretty manageable. Actually Zillow finds culture fit more than skills. Please be prepared in terms of Zillow product and Zillow future.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had an on-campus interview with an engineer that led to a phone interview.
    After that, I moved on to an on-site interview in Seattle, which shortly after led to an offer.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures and Algorithms questions as well as Systems Design and optimizations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Slow, Had to nag the recruiter about my status two times. During on-sites the interviewers seemed pretty uninterested and bored. They were probably busy, but still gave me a weird vibe.

Interview Questions

• Determine if parenthesis in a string all have valid matches   Answer Question
    • String, array, bit manipulation questions. Easy - medium.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zillow in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Scheduled a call with recruiter who was lovely and described the role.Recruiter set up a call with a developer. The developer was not interested in the call.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree and a sum, determine if the tree has a root-to-leaf path such that adding up all the values along the path equals the given sum.

Given a binary tree and a sum, find all root-to-leaf paths where each path's sum equals the given sum.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Zillow (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I received an email from a Zillow recruiter with an online coding challenge to complete whenever I had time. It took a few weeks to hear back with the results (I did not move forward).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zillow in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. I did an OA first, which has two questions, fairly standard algorithm questions.
    Then the phone interview was quite hard. The interviewer asked me how many ways can I represent an amount using several currencies.

Interview Questions

• How many ways can you represent an amount of money using $1,$5,$10, or $25.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

The day after I applied for the Software Development Engineer, New Grad position, I was sent an email by a recruiter asking me to complete a coding challenge as the first phase of the interview process. The two challenges were to write a function to convert a string to an integer and to write the functionality for adding and removing nodes from a ternary tree. While these seem simple, it only takes a few minutes of looking through these Glassdoor reviews to see that many people do not get past this step. For the conversion function, keep in mind that there are many more numbers that can be represented by strings than can be represented by integers. For the ternary tree, make sure that all necessary connections between nodes are created on node addition and severed on node deletion. Spend a good amount of time carefully reading through the specifications provided in the challenge descriptions, as Zillow takes this portion of the process quite seriously.

After completing the online coding challenge, the recruiter reached out to me saying that I had made it to the next phase in the interview process, which involves one or two phone screens. Zillow uses a program called HackerRank for code sharing during these interviews, which allows for auto-indention and some basic text-highlighting, but not too much else. The first phone interviewer asked me a question that ultimately was to find the lowest common ancestor of two nodes in a tree. The second interviewer asked me to write a function to reverse a number. Both of these questions seem simple on the surface, but involve a lot of considerations as far as identifying the constraints of the problem and choosing appropriate data structures to complete the task in the most efficient way possible. It is important to always discuss trade-offs of different approaches, as there will almost always be multiple ways to tackle each problem. Do not let the apparent simplicity of a problem fool you into a poor performance in these interviews.

The final phase of the interview process was a day of on-site interviews. While most people on Glassdoor say that they had two or three one hour interviews, I actually completed four. Each of the interviews were formatted almost exactly the same way as the phone screens were, except in-person using a white-board wall to write code on. This seems fairly typical of tech companies, though. Again, the same tips apply here as in the phone interview phase, so just stay relaxed and honestly try to have fun with it. The interviewers I had were all great at challenging me to consider multiple approaches and adding new complexities to make the problems more interesting as the interviews went on.

The day following my on-site interviews, I received a phone call with an amazing offer to join the Zillow team! All in all, I had a highly pleasant experience interviewing with Zillow. It was a smooth process that felt both challenging and rewarding to have gone through.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zillow (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

phone screen, followed by a long day of on sites.
    Horrible experience, especially with recruiters. It seems to me that the recruiters at this company are paid by candidates that receive and accept the offer. I know that Zillow is considered a growing company that has potential, but during the interviews my overall experience was that it was not such a happy place to be in. Overall, the interviewers were polite and acted correctly, but I didn't get any vibe from them. Nothing. Very low energy. But by far the worst was the recruiter who called me to tell me that I did not receive the offer. He was rude, unpleasant and made me feel like I failed completely. He refused to let me know what went wrong. Luckily, I have offers from other top companies so that makes me feel much better about myself.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were on the medium difficulty level. You can find some of them in the book Elements of programming interviews. If you practice with this book, you will not be surprised. I wasn't surprised at all from the questions, just from the result.   Answer Question

Zillow Response

Sep 19, 2016 – VP, Recruiting

As the head of Recruiting for Zillow, I was very dissapointed to read your review and hear that you had a less than positive experience interviewing with us. I would like to encourage you to email... More