Capco Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good policies for working women and flexibility to manage work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Great people with an approachable leadership team (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is what you make of it (in 34 reviews)

• Promotion depends on your ability to kiss up/rub shoulders with senior management and less on your work (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing firm in growth mode!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Recently taken private again
    - Flush with opportunity to impact the direction of the firm at every level
    - New offices, new clients coming online
    - Culture that's true to their word when they say "Pitch a good idea and we'll let you run with it"; this is especially true in newer offices like Charlotte and DC
    - Simple yet fair comp structure; doesn't try to pay people less through smoke and mirrors complex bonus programs like at a lot of firms
    - Plenty of opportunity for people who want to step up to the plate and leave their mark on the firm
    - Quick promotion for those who are ready; no arbitrary forced time in current levels
    - Best benefits I've seen in the last decade, especially for families
    - A culture of work hard, but with a sincere concern and understanding that you have a life outside of consulting. They have unlimited sick days on top of paid time off but because of the culture I've not seen nor heard of anyone abusing this policy and it's a great one to have when you need it!
    - I could keep going, but you get the idea, this is a great firm with a lot of potential as a company and for anyone who works here.

Cons

- After splitting from FIS and going private, the operations are VERY lean. Not a terrible con as all of these are being worked on, but it does take time. Having to stand up new IT functions, update corporate policies, finance operations, etc. doesn't happen at the flip of a switch. Anyone who understands this will not be bothered by this

Advice to Management

Capco has a very bright future, keep up the good work with the opportunities afforded to it after going private. Focus on growth but don't lose sight of the amazing culture that is the core of this firm, as many other firms have lost sight of this and are quickly failing.

Apr 3, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your great review and we are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your first few months at Capco!

Your review really sums up many of the great things about our firm and we are... More

2. "Excellent Consulting Firm"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

True meritocracy where hard work is rewarded
    Numerous projects across a broad range of interests and fields
    Supportive partners and senior leadership
    Great benefits

Cons

Firm is experiencing continual growth so expect organizational changes
    Work life balance is what you make of it
    Don't expect any hand holding if you are not personally motivated

May 22, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many of the great benefits of working at Capco including the opportunity to work on a range of interesting and rewarding... More

"Principal Consultant"

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

Salary, great coworkers. If you want honest sentiment about this place, go on Fishbowl.

Cons

I was on the client side for 19months doing work an intern can accomplish. No Capco is NOT staff aug at all. I've let it be known and was suggested to go check out the happenings in digital. Nothing there. I have no idea what that digital acceleration team actually does besides discussing their work out routines. Great work if you can get it. Get paid to do absolutely nothing. I came from Big 4 and they weren't without their problems, but this place is a whole different level. I wish I could say I enjoyed my time here, but I looked at my Capco time as a break from my career.

Advice to Management

Capco HR--please spare us your canned answers.
    You really need to learn the difference between people who claim they have knowledge and the ones who actually do. All this talk about your culture is a bit contrived. Culture is formed organically. You don't force it down people's throats. Also, how are people staffed forever onsite ever going to see this great culture you're pushing. My team and I felt more a part of the client than Capco.

May 24, 2018 – HR

We are pleased to hear that you recognize the market-leading compensation and benefits on offer at Capco and enjoy working alongside your Capco colleagues. We have lots of great people in the firm... More

4. "Overall good"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Hard to move between projects

Cons

Good people, ample opportunity for additional training and development

May 8, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we are pleased to read that you enjoy many of the benefits of working at Capco including the opportunities for career development and working with your colleagues... More

5. "Good perks, nice atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Great support, enjoyable atmosphere, reasonable pay, friendly colleagues

Cons

VERY young, not a con in and of itself, but evident that youth is more highly valued than experience

Advice to Management

So far, so good.

May 8, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear that you enjoy many of the benefits of working at Capco including our culture, market-leading compensation and Capco colleagues.

We would... More

6. "Recent view into Capco"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked in both consulting and the financial services industry, I spent about a year and a half with Capco. As consulting firms go, Capcos leadership and people are its biggest strengths. Partners care about the staff. Client opportunities are matched up with the best available resources. In office training and social activities are readily available. My favorite thing about Capco is the entrepreneurial culture - it doesn’t feel like a big 4 consulting firm. If it wasn’t for finding a great opportunity in the industry, I’d still be there today.

Cons

With so few US offices and so many remote employees, it’s critical that you take ownership of your own career at Capco. This is no t uncommon for this type of business.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your people and building strong client relationships.

"Messy and unprofessional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northeast, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You may have the ability to build connections/friendships with other employees & clients if you’re outgoing and produce solid work.

Cons

No overarching review process that is fair across the board. Underpay great resources and overpay/promote those who give up the little personal life they have to “contribute” internally or have inappropriate relationships/favoritism internally.

Never saw the work/life balance they claim to promote. First firm I’ve ever worked with in years that doesn’t give guaranteed bonus and has no issue with underpaying people who do equivalent or better work (women, people of color).

The HR department is one of the most dysfunctional/inappropriate I’ve seen in years apart from a few select individuals.

I personally helped an intern speak with a third party and eventually decided not to file sexual harassment charges during the summer against a fellow Capco employee. The fact that their biggest concern was HR lack of confidentiality/propriety was extremely saddening and not shocking.

Advice to Management

If there is any feedback to give on it I would say clean house in HR and start fresh with experienced professionals who understand their roles within an organization and importance of their behavior and how it reflects on the firm and employees trust in them.

Give individuals the chance to actually grow and reward those who do a good job. If someone has been billable/done good work on a client, there should be no reason as to why they shouldn’t receive a bonus or pay raise if not promotion. Be more honest about the work/life balance that currently exists, there really isn’t one which is fine as long as you communicate it clearly.

May 1, 2018 – HR

At Capco, there is a robust process in place to assess performance. Over this past year, we have piloted successfully a new feedback tool and program, which enables real-time feedback from Project... More

"Don't believe the fake positive reviews, Capco is awful"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- pay is decent
    - they give you a good amount of vacation time overall
    -company phone plan and MiFi device
    -Opportunity to work on projects with some of the big names in banking

Cons

-Partners are cutthroat and only care about the bottom line
    -Tremendous lack of thought leadership at this firm. Capco tries to brand itself as a cutting edge Fintech consulting firm, but it is really just a PMO staff aug body shop
    -Performance review process is not transparent and is also very one sided. Bad managers survive because the subordinates who work under them are not able to share upward feedback.
    -Too many straight out of college 20 somethings are hired here, with not enough mid-career consulting professionals who have experience delivering meaningful project work at real firms
    - Metrics for performance reviews at each level are misaligned and don't make sense
    -Training classes that are offered are either not useful, not detailed enough, or not in the areas that will help consultants build marketable skills for client engagements
    -Difficult to consistently get staffed on projects unless you are part of the 'In' crowd, very cliquey, stiff, and uptight 'suit' culture

Advice to Management

Clean house at the top, many of the partners and managing principals at this firm have their priorities based solely on sales, without any regard to developing, protecting, or caring for their people. revamp your performance appraisal process to focus more on rewarding exceptional work and less on punishing non-politically connected folks. Be honest about what type of work you can deliver to both clients and potential employees.

9. "Sr consultant"

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, co-workers

Cons

Micro-managing, less knowledgeable managers

May 8, 2018 – HR

Thanks for your feedback and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at Capco. We fully agree that as a firm we offer market-leading compensation and benefits, which we regularly check in... More

"A satisfactory start to any career"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

- Skillbuilding

Working at Capco was a great opportunity to develop fundamental business analysis (BA) and project management (PMO) skills. My managers provided frequent constructive feedback that allowed me to constantly improve. I've learned that if you keep an open mind, you will rapidly hone your delivery quality, flexibility, stakeholder management skills, time management instincts, and sense of urgency. I am convinced that these are valuable skills to leverage wherever I go.

- Willingness to cultivate you (if you push for it)

If you are willing to put in the extra time to meet key players in the firm (Partners, MPs, Human Capital, rapidly promoted individuals) and have clear learning goals, they will leverage available resources to help you. It might not be exactly what you ask for (and you might have to ask multiple times), but if you talk to enough people with a goal in mind, you will receive some resources. I know one consultant received tuition assistance for a Python course at NYU. Others have gotten staffed on projects in functional and subject areas they found interesting. This kind of networking is tough for AOs to do, but if you're willing to eat into your weekends or time after work, it can be very rewarding. I didn’t do this myself, but I saw the positive results for others.

- Attitude adjustment

Consulting requires humility. Capco hires kids out of top schools. They often have egos and high expectations for their post-graduation career direction and pace. I was no exception. I think this contributes to Capco's churn rate. However, you will hit a brick wall in your career if you don't learn to untether your ego from the type of work you do and the feedback you receive. It will stifle your willingness to learn new things and motivation to challenge yourself to improve. Depending on your project, the work could be tedious, granular, and esoteric in nature, so humility is make-or-break for your time at Capco. For me, it was a painful but rewarding adjustment. I survived by focusing on improving my BA skills instead of the specifics of my project work, which I didn’t find very interesting.

- Learning what you really want to do in the future

Regardless of what you end up doing, your time at Capco will help you find it. There is a ton of sector, technology, and practice area informational events/showcases that teach you about existing or aspirational Capco focus areas. For example, there was a highly successful Initial Coin Offering event with impressive guest speakers. Something might pique your interest there. You might meet interesting people you want to collaborate with. I definitely benefitted from the broad exposure that these events offered.

It can also help if you're doing a project you don't want to do. I spent much of my time at Capco concerned about the opportunity cost of each day I was at my project versus other roles that might cultivate me more efficiently. I made the absolute most of it and grew exponentially, but I was still convinced that it wasn't enough for my learning and career targets. As a result, I was highly motivated to figure out what really inspired me and what opportunities were out there.

Cons

- Aggressive project staffing

I was selected for a project before I even started the two-week training program. I didn't feel like I had a choice because I was informed by colleagues at many levels that it is a very bad look to turn down project roles, especially at the Associate level. I mentioned this to HR three months into my first project and HR informed me that this is not the culture they are trying to cultivate. By this time, it was too late. It's not easy to arrange to roll off of a project and I was told by my coach and colleagues that it complicates performance reviews and a smooth promotion schedule. While it's flattering to know that people think you'd be effective on a project with an immediate staffing need, it can lead to a lot of frustration and missed opportunities that I experienced up to my final day. I hope they're making changes to this shared tacit assumption that I observed within Capco’s culture.

- Insufficient expectation management of prospective AOs

I perceived this as the biggest con. Elements of this con encouraged me to begin a passive job search which led to my eventual departure. Check out the Advice to Management section where I break down the issues and how they could be resolved in the future.

Advice to Management

- Managing AO expectations about the nature of the work

To AOs: Capco isn't spearheading a fintech revolution or anything. It's consulting for the financial services industry. Depending on your goals, you may not find many projects exciting. Don't expect a steady stream of fintech, digital, or strategy projects. Don't expect a series of short projects, either. While there's a chance you will have this experience, there is also a lot of implementation work which can be long-term and esoteric. Some of it is basically staff augmentation. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you're focusing on fundamental skills and less concerned about the greater significance of your project work, but it’s important to keep your expectations in line with reality.

To management: The above messaging isn't communicated clearly enough to prospective AOs. This contributes to morale, reputation, and churn problems. Other reviewers said that Capco's hiring practices are deliberately misleading and I would disagree. I think there is a gap between the nature of projects we highlight to candidates and the realistic set of available project work. I would avoid mentioning aspirational focus areas and practices to junior candidates who heavily weigh these exciting details in their early career decisions.

I recognize that some of this information is available up front and that prospective AOs have a responsibility to do their research and listen for these key details. However, it's clear from these reviews (and what I've seen and experienced) that a number of prospective hires do not research this so deeply. As much as it would be nice to rely on new hires to know this before making their decisions, more emphasis on managing expectations on the nature of the work would greatly improve selection, retention, and satisfaction of AOs.

- Managing AO expectations and transparency about rank, reputation, and promotion

As for my expectations, I came from a very competitive school where the expectation is to grow rapidly with clear growth KPIs on the resume. Capco isn’t like McKinsey, Bain, or BCG. It’s not like the consulting groups at the Big 4 firms, either, although Capco is getting there. The expectation (not entitlement) follows that if I exceed expectations at a smaller, lower-ranked consultancy, I’ll get promoted faster there than at other, bigger-name consultancies. This matters for many reasons. Competitively speaking, I need to show on my resume that as a substitute to brand name, I was able to rise very rapidly within a professional services company. In the case of a company like Capco, that should be a change in title within, not after, a year of joining (again, provided excellent performance).

Regarding transparency, I only learned after resigning that I had strong advancement prospects within a satisfactory timeline. Before resigning, I had no solid evidence of my standing and advancement expectations within the firm. I also had a substantial amount of anecdotal evidence that even if I was a next-level performer, I wouldn’t be assured a chance for promotion before the 18-month mark. I worked closely with two Associates who I deeply respected and saw as role models due to their ability to manage situations that project team leads acknowledged was far above the level of Associates. They were passed up for promotion at the 12-month mark and resigned before their next performance reviews. Not only did I lose my role models, but I also had clear evidence that I wouldn’t be hitting my desired resume KPIs fast enough, leading to a passive job search which eventually led to finding employment elsewhere. To be fair to Capco, key figures in management and human capital personally expressed their interest in resolving this and voiced their regret in the anecdotal cases I witnessed.

My advice is to provide transparency and expectation management to Associates regarding advancement. After performance reviews, instead of just communicating a rating and providing vague, tentative suggestions of their implications for advancement, Capco should clearly communicate to Associates whether they are being considered for promotion at the next cycle and what performance level they would need to reach or maintain to hold up their side of the bargain. If there are clear expectations for both sides to “walk the walk,” Associates will know what they can expect, work towards, and look forward to. This will greatly improve retention, morale, brand, and performance quality.

- Clear communication of roles and capabilities for advocating for employee needs

I didn’t know until after I resigned what various people in the Associate Enablement Team could actually do for me. If the roles and capabilities of these individuals were communicated in practical terms (i.e. “I can push for you to roll off,” “I can switch your coach,” “I can get you in touch with people who are staffing for projects that fit your interests,” “I can facilitate discussions on your performance and advancement), these team members would see more AOs reaching out. This would lead to greater alignment of AO goals to their experiences at Capco. If I was 100% certain that a given team member had the power to pull through on a given request in the organization, I would have been much more likely to reach out and solve problems that would have greatly improved my time at Capco.

- Coaching commitments and expectations for both the AOs and their coaches

It's hard for AOs to demonstrate interest in a specific learning or staffing goal because (A) they're unsure of how that can be realized and (B) may be vacillating between several pathways and specializations. It would be great if as a practice, coaches said: "Give me a list of areas that interest you. I'll tell you the ones that someone at Capco could help you develop. Then you have to pick one. For the one you pick, I'll do everything in my capacity to ensure that you get the exposure you're looking for." That would give AOs deep exposure aligning with their interests early in their time at Capco and would be a major retention and morale solution.

Compare that to how some Principals, MPs, and Partners will say "keep an open mind" and "just be a sponge" when AOs approach them with interest in specific practice areas or projects during the 2-week training program. While that is definitely a great attitude to have, it's very valuable to ensure that AOs are building their engagement and faith in the firm. Deflecting specific learning interests can stifle the energy that entry-level staff want to bring to the table.

- Communication between upper management and junior staff

AOs and COs form the core of delivery teams. Since they can get pretty bogged down by day-to-day delivery requirements, they often lose sight of the significance of their work within the greater project context and the current Capco and client outlook on the project. Large meetings don't necessarily help, as it's harder for Partners to engage audiences at every experience and knowledge level than one-on-one meetings. One suggestion is for Partners and MPs to block off 30 minutes of each day to reach out and speak to a different AO or CO one-on-one. While COs and AOs can and should reach out to do this on their own as well, it would be encouraging to see Partners and MPs displaying an effort to do the same thing. This would greatly increase morale, engagement, and pride in the firm.

Apr 4, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and taking the time to share your insights based on your experience at Capco. The constructive feedback you have provided is helpful and we will take this on-board as part... More