Capco Reviews | Glassdoor

Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Best place I have worked in 20+ years"

Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’m a Partner at Capco and I've been with the firm for six and a half years. I did originally write this review including my name, but Glassdoor refused to publish it with my name included.

Prior to Capco, I had never stayed anywhere for longer than two years and 10 months. I am often asked why that is. Let me try to answer.

First, I have been fortunate enough to work for and with some tremendous people. When I say ‘tremendous’ I mean people who are talented, people I can learn from, people I trust, people I respect, people I can have a beer with and people I often see more as friends than colleagues. I honestly believe we employ some of the most talented people in the financial services industry, and I am constantly surprised and impressed with what our teams achieve for our clients.

Second, we operate a true meritocracy, at least as much as is ever possible when people are measuring people doing something as subjective as management consulting. Since I joined Capco as a Managing Principal in 2011 the only thing that has ever limited my progress has been my own work ethic and ability. I’ve been fortunate enough to work with some great people and teams who have supported me in my career development and in 2012 I achieved my first objective of joining the Partner team at Capco. We continue to do performance management and promotions every 6 months. We don’t have a time-in-grade mentality, but we do look for sustainable performance at the next level. From what I have seen in over 20 years around the city, we offer some of the best career progression opportunities you will find anywhere, together with all the support and guidance you will need to make the most of those.

Third, from the leadership team downwards, we put a lot of emphasis on integrity. For me, this is my most important value and it manifests itself in many ways in how we work. On the people side, we work very hard to find roles which our people want to do. If people are doing things they’re excited about, they will be happier and they will do better work. Very simple. It is not always perfect, though, but we spend more time on this than any firm I’ve ever worked for. On the client side, we emphasise doing the right thing for the client at all times. “More consultants” is not always the answer to every client problem and it is hugely important to me that I work for a firm where I know I can say that, when it is the right answer for the client. You might be surprised by just how much trust you can build when you set-aside your self-interest and focus on the client. Within the management team we work as a team, and ask our leaders at all levels to make decisions based on what is best for the client, the people and Capco, but not for them as individuals.

Fourth, of course, is the quality of our clients and our work. Over the past six years our brand has grown in-line with our client reputation, and we are now working with most of the tier 1 banks across the market in the UK. During this period we have built a strong reputation for everything from strategy & operating model through to reg & change delivery, technology transformation and all things Digital. In the last few years the size, importance and criticality of the programmes with which our clients have trusted us has increased markedly.
    Across our clients, we are continuing to win work from our much larger competitors – you know who they are – and we are proving to our clients that we really are, and should be, the ‘firm of choice’ for consultancy in the FS market.
    Crucially, this enables us to offer our people the most interesting and challenging work available in FS consulting today, and that is surely what the best people are looking for in an employer.

Last, but not least, is ‘the culture’. Culture is always hard to define, but it is important. In fact, our clients often remark on how our culture – our people, and how they behave and approach their work – differentiates us from other firms.
    Of course, a big part of our culture is the meritocracy and integrity I’ve mentioned above. But, it is more than that. It is also: the ‘different’, more relaxed atmosphere in our Shoreditch office; the number of social clubs and events we support and run; the non-hierarchical approach (no Partner offices at Capco, well, just one) to our teams; the level of support we offer each other; the level of team-working across client accounts; the ability to make an impact and have your ideas heard; the way our people ‘drop the badge at the door’ and make themselves part of the client team; and, the way we can throw a party, which we do at least twice a year in the Summer and around Xmas.

So, those are some of the main reasons I am still here after more than 6 years. I still can’t think of a better place to do management consulting.

Cons

Capco is still to some extent a 'challenger brand' in the FS consulting market. This means that we have to work that bit harder, sometimes, to win against our much larger, longer-in-the-tooth competitors. Sometimes that is frustrating but, for me, it is a huge and rewarding part of the challenge. I have always enjoyed being the under-dog, winning when people say I can't and doing things which people say weren't possible. If you like to win against ‘the big guys’, then Capco is the place for you. If you prefer the warmer, cosier world of a 'big brand' then perhaps it isn't the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Across the FS market, our clients continue to be hugely challenged by regulation, competition for market share and ROE performance. We have to remain 100% focused on the value which we bring for our clients because we cannot forget that every dollar of consulting spend is under pressure.

Aug 22, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review.

It's really great to hear that after your 6+ years with the firm, you are still excited about Capco and the quality of experience and career we strive to give our... More

2. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong support and direction from management, challenging work with top tier clients, merit based promotions. Excellent vacation policy and work/life balance and great benefits.

Cons

Growing company, a little top and bottom heavy. Need to hire more more smart, talented mid-level people

Advice to Management

Hire more strong Consultant/Senior Consultants with industry experience

3. "Capco cares!"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management
    Competitive salary and benefits
    good vacation policy
    be yourself at work culture
    Entrepreneurial spirit
    friendly people
    ability to drive your career

Cons

Some partners and managing principals need to be more compliant of the company culture

Advice to Management

Use top down approach to drive people programs

Aug 22, 2017 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy working at Capco.

Your review perfectly sums up many of the great things that Capco offers as a firm... More

4. "Manager"

Former Employee - SME in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SME in Washington, DC

I worked at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment and the people were interesting

Cons

The people were interesting with no negative attitude

Advice to Management

Keep pushing

Jul 31, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed working at Capco!

Your review perfectly sums up a number of Capco's key attractions including a highly collaborative culture... More

"Breaking the own rules - integrity is something different"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively short ways, quite flexible environment

Cons

In Consulting Services you have to work on client projects - most of the time. This is common knowledge. To be promoted one has to show up with performance (whatever this means), mainly on client projects, get proper appraisals and so on - so far, so good.
    To become a Principal Consultant you need a proper consulting history, you need to express some minimum seniority (also in years of experience and relevance of experience), and overall there are some rules which are also officially communicated: you have to bring in business or at least perform as project manager for a while, be responsible for some minimum revenue, manage a team and of course you need to have and demonstrate relevant skills. These skills have to be related to the business such as subject matter expertise, methodology and so forth.

But if Capco promote people to Principal Consultant in high speed, who have nearly never been billable, nearly no important knowledge about the business, nearly no client project experience, who cannot really be seen as consultants at all, then this is going a beyond a joke. People who provide marketing material and support well in project proposals are truly useful but this is not consulting. Promoting those people to Principal Consultant - especially if you compare their profiles to those of other Principal Consultants - is inappropriate. This exceeds any tolerance regarding unfairness.

Advice to Management

I fear there is nothing left to rescue. Pure game of hazard and clique mentality is no acceptable base for making career as a management consultant if someone wants to be a genuine management consultant.

Aug 9, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your review, however, we are very disappointed to read your comments. Capco has a very robust performance management process and while we agree that there is certainly the opportunity... More

6. "Capco offers a lot of opportunity to grow your career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Capco, you have the opportunity to develop your skills, learn from some of the best in the field, and build your professional and personal network. You can make things happen and realize your goals. I've always been struck by the level of passion and energy of the people of Capco. As consultants, we are always challenging ourselves and looking at ways to make an even greater impact. The company cares about its people and invests in learning opportunities and social events that help to foster a sense of community. I love working at Capco!

Cons

You need to be self-motivated, and pursue the opportunities that are available to you. If you are not comfortable driving your own career, you might struggle at Capco.

Jul 24, 2017 – HR

Thanks for taking the time to share your Capco experience!

We are delighted to hear that you love being a part of the Capco team and your review perfectly sums up the opportunities, culture and... More

"Unexplainable Promotions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The brand itself appears fancy - Capco differentiates by self-presentation in the internet and public brochures from typical competitors. Though it is about 20 years old there is still kind of start-up marketing what leaves an impression of innovation. It is a very diverse company - the people are not like clones.

Cons

The ability to take criticism - also in public reviews - has still to be trained.
    Especially in recent past the promotions prompted questions.
    It is more than just suspect if employees get promoted to career levels though they are far away from meeting the requirements of that levels. In some cases it seems to be much more political than performance-driven - whatever the motivations of the promotion-responsible persons are...
    By taking a look at the usual Principal Consultants (one above Senior Consultant, one below Managing Principle), these are people with firm consulting experience, having built up sound expertise over years in fields which are key to the company and the industry. They take sales responsibilities and are also measured against those (there are monetary targets to hit) and - of course - they are responsible for managing revenues, projects, people, and for topics dealing with the business to attract clients and to win projects. This requires hard work and experience in both dimensions, numbers of years and intensity.
    It gets multiple employees' attention if someone gets promoted to Principal Consultant level without having any notable consulting experience during his/ her time at Capco, and the previous promotion to Senior Consultant already appeared very generous. There is no base - neither by applying the officially valid performance assessment framework nor by applying common sense - to promote employees to Principal Consultant level who have very little client project experience and thus have not generated much revenue for the company. Internal projects - also in cooperation with the parent company - represent a lower level of comparability, and they generate no revenue (we all know that Capco is not a non-profit company and the billable component is one of a few hard performance criteria). Aditi onally, it is more questionable when the same employees with little or no client project experience do not even stand for any topic important to Capco's business, be it from the financial industry's business or technology side. As a conclusion those very fast promoted employees cannot be seen as consultants at all by this what they do. What is going on then?
    Officially, Capco does have a quite comprehensive and clear performance assessment framework. And the performance of people who get promoted has to be sustained over a period of time. So how can it be that people get promoted if they don't do management consulting at all and simply cannot meet the framework's requirements? They do not even meet the requirements of their current level - what might sound mean but it reflects reality. It just sticks to facts. The roundtable process should fairly assess performance and skills and determine whether the requirements of the next level are met. Apparently, Capco is not very consequent in this process. And the majority of hard and well working, experienced and skilled employees, who generate business and demonstrate management work, gets mocked. The theory what Capco has set up concerning the performance assessment looks pragmatic and reasonable. Nevertheless, recent promotion incidents showed that the roundtable assessment sometimes tramples on the framework and promotes people for arcane reasons.

Advice to Management

Train your ability to take criticism and don't think that all employees believe you everything. Stick to facts, especially when it comes to performance assessment and promotions.

"Good Culture, Average Work"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Great people and culture
    Decent benefits
    Good flexibility

Cons

Bill themselves as being disruptors, but most work is generic pm augmentation or basic BA/Testing work
    Not very meritocratic

Jul 18, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We fully agree that Capco has great people, a great culture and offers market-leading benefits. These are definitely some of the things which set... More

9. "Impressive firm!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits, great access to upper management, clear advancement opportunities.

Cons

Continue working towards diversifying project opportunities outside of the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs)

Jul 17, 2017 – HR

Thank you for your great review and we are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed working at Capco for the past 3 years!

Your review sums up many of the fantastic benefits and opportunities Capco... More

10. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Easy Access to upper management
    Good support for employees
    Opportunities to influence the firm
    They invest in training

Cons

Boys Club
    In DC you tend to get stuck on really long projects

Advice to Management

Staff more intentionally based on skills and interests not just on availability and timing

Jul 18, 2017 – HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback.

We are delighted that you are enjoying many of the benefits Capco has to offer including a wide variety of learning and development... More