Capco Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good policies for working women and flexibility to manage work life balance" (in 41 reviews)

• "Great people with an approachable leadership team" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is what you make of it" (in 33 reviews)

• "TBH, I'm not sure senior management want NY HC in the office" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing firm in growth mode!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Recently taken private again
    - Flush with opportunity to impact the direction of the firm at every level
    - New offices, new clients coming online
    - Culture that's true to their word when they say "Pitch a good idea and we'll let you run with it"; this is especially true in newer offices like Charlotte and DC
    - Simple yet fair comp structure; doesn't try to pay people less through smoke and mirrors complex bonus programs like at a lot of firms
    - Plenty of opportunity for people who want to step up to the plate and leave their mark on the firm
    - Quick promotion for those who are ready; no arbitrary forced time in current levels
    - Best benefits I've seen in the last decade, especially for families
    - A culture of work hard, but with a sincere concern and understanding that you have a life outside of consulting. They have unlimited sick days on top of paid time off but because of the culture I've not seen nor heard of anyone abusing this policy and it's a great one to have when you need it!
    - I could keep going, but you get the idea, this is a great firm with a lot of potential as a company and for anyone who works here.

Cons

- After splitting from FIS and going private, the operations are VERY lean. Not a terrible con as all of these are being worked on, but it does take time. Having to stand up new IT functions, update corporate policies, finance operations, etc. doesn't happen at the flip of a switch. Anyone who understands this will not be bothered by this

Advice to Management

Capco has a very bright future, keep up the good work with the opportunities afforded to it after going private. Focus on growth but don't lose sight of the amazing culture that is the core of this firm, as many other firms have lost sight of this and are quickly failing.

Apr 3, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your great review and we are delighted to hear that you are enjoying your first few months at Capco!

Your review really sums up many of the great things about our firm and we are... More

"Software Developer"

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great learning opportunity and really brililant coworkers

Cons

no immediate cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

more obvious bonus structure.

Jun 19, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying the great development opportunities and working with your Capco colleagues. Thanks for your continued contribution to our... More

3. "Great International experience"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capco offers a real opportunity to have an International experience across continents. Also, the variety of clients and projects offsets the disadvantage to work for a banking industry focused firm. The immense majority of co-coworkers are smart, professional, and always willing to give a hand when necessary. Additionally, the HR team is made of available, smart, and helpful people.

Cons

For all its advantages, working in a fast-growing firm can be demanding. An important non-client investment is also required to make a name for oneself in the firm and although it might not impede the work/life balance; it remains demanding to participate on internal project after a day’s work.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the top-down communication to enhance skill developing opportunities across capabilities and praise juniors’ involvement within the firm to encourage networking even in the early stages of one’s career

4. "Great place for consulting"

Current Employee - Capco in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Capco in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance, low travel, senior management is very receptive to changes

Cons

Not enough opportunity to move up the company ladder, to hit the glass ceiling

Jun 28, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your feedback.

We are pleased to read your positive comments regarding flexible working and the opportunity to share your suggestions with senior management. Capco's culture... More

"Lots of bad projects, low comp internally compared to market"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great
    Benefits are stronger than other places
    Capco office is nice
    Seems there generally decent work if you're PC/MP

Cons

Comp is below market, especially if you move up internally
    No shame in staff aug, especially where the company is headed in just making a dollar any way possible
    Promotions and ratings are incredibly political despite what capco says (coming from someone who has done well)
    Projects aren't good. You have the wide array of being a project manager in a staff aug role or a business analyst in a staff aug role
    Win projects specifically because of lower cost, no other reasons
    HR on here acting like all this is far from the truth shows how out of touch they are

Advice to Management

If you want to compete as a consulting company then do less staff aug and pay people competitively, there's a reason for the turnover. Capco gets strong people but doesn't utilize them correctly and they leave.

Jun 19, 2018 – HR

The vast majority of feedback on this forum confirms that Capco pays very competitively and well in advance of the market for our best performers. This is not surprising. We undertake extensive... More

"Most recent view into this terrible company with extremely poor leadership and hardly any sales or pipeline"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Compensation which actually fools you into joining
    Office location which may also be used as a tactic to hire prospective candidates

Cons

I actually waited months before writing this review as I wanted to give benefit of the doubt to the company and may be my own decision. But now I firmly believe in the below aspects which are completely lacking from this company:

In priority order:
    1) Poor Leadership: there is no communication about company strategy/vision even at senior levels. Senior management is hardly visible and available, you would take weeks before you are able to schedule a 30 mins meeting with partners. Leadership doesn’t believe in bringing new ideas or learning from other organizations where lateral hires come from.

2) No structure / Consulting Practices: this is one of the most important aspects for professional services firms. If you don’t have practice areas how do you create SMEs, POV and Thought Leadership. Isn’t that what sells in consulting or used as door openers?

3) Partners: they act as only sales partners, they don’t manage any practice and have no incentive to create leadership in any area. They are just focused on meeting numbers and selling heads. They also only respond to you if they have some work or support needed, they would never respond if your situation needs help or support.

4) Projects: one of the most sad parts of the company, there is hardly any project selling. It is purely staff augmentation and to add there doesn’t seem any focus in selling projects or solutions as well. You are also on your own when you come to bench with poor resource management.

5) Support Functions: non existent HR or Talent Management. Bench management is very dated and it’s almost surprising to see how pipeline is not discussed in bench meetings and that’s the reason why the right resources can’t be aligned to ongoing deals or RFPs.

6) Pipeline / Account Growth Strategy: there are hardly any deals. Only small staff aug RFPs which are also responded with no solution only copy paste from KM portal. How can you compete in today’s competitive world when you don’t bring your thought process or ideas in RFP responses.

7) Digital Economy: don’t go by the new marketing campaign. There is very low understanding of how Digital and Tech are shaping today’s economy. Apart from new experienced hires the tech capabilities and understanding is very low on how to augment it with existing change / Ops consulting capabilities.

Advice to Management

You are not valuing talent which is one of the most important factor in creating successful organizations. Talent innovates and that’s what creates successful enterprises.

The current pipeline is either non-existent or not visible. There seems to be no account growth strategy, identification of white spaces, deal prioritization which is essential to a business like this.

Jun 27, 2018 – HR

Thank you for the feedback. A brief response to each of your points is set out below, but given the length of your feedback, it may be more effective to arrange an appointment with your coach... More

"Excellent Consulting Firm"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

True meritocracy where hard work is rewarded
    Numerous projects across a broad range of interests and fields
    Supportive partners and senior leadership
    Great benefits

Cons

Firm is experiencing continual growth so expect organizational changes
    Work life balance is what you make of it
    Don't expect any hand holding if you are not personally motivated

May 22, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed many of the great benefits of working at Capco including the opportunity to work on a range of interesting and rewarding... More

"Principal Consultant"

I worked at Capco full-time

Pros

Salary, great coworkers. If you want honest sentiment about this place, go on Fishbowl.

Cons

I was on the client side for 19months doing work an intern can accomplish. No Capco is NOT staff aug at all. I've let it be known and was suggested to go check out the happenings in digital. Nothing there. I have no idea what that digital acceleration team actually does besides discussing their work out routines. Great work if you can get it. Get paid to do absolutely nothing. I came from Big 4 and they weren't without their problems, but this place is a whole different level. I wish I could say I enjoyed my time here, but I looked at my Capco time as a break from my career.

Advice to Management

Capco HR--please spare us your canned answers.
    You really need to learn the difference between people who claim they have knowledge and the ones who actually do. All this talk about your culture is a bit contrived. Culture is formed organically. You don't force it down people's throats. Also, how are people staffed forever onsite ever going to see this great culture you're pushing. My team and I felt more a part of the client than Capco.

May 24, 2018 – HR

We are pleased to hear that you recognize the market-leading compensation and benefits on offer at Capco and enjoy working alongside your Capco colleagues. We have lots of great people in the firm... More

"Liars and Fools"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Higher Salary than most other places.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the barrage of positive reviews, that's just Capco doing damage control, read further down and you'll see what it's really like. In fact Capco has had several meetings just to address the negative reviews by former and current employees and how to cover them up as opposed to maybe, just maybe, fixing the issues they point out.

The fact of the matter is this company is a complete mess and they're hemorrhaging money and talent. They lack any type of coherent strategy for who they hire and how to utilize them. People are often sent to do mind numbing work that they often have absolutely no background in. To sell to clients they often bite of way more than they can chew and that results in consultants having to work crazy hours to keep up only to have the entire project collapse and the business lost for good. Just look at their turnover rate, it is absolutely insane and nowhere near the industry "average" they claim it is. And their so called amazing work culture is also a complete sham. They actually forced all their employees to come in dressed casually just to impress a visiting client and make them look like a progressive firm! I have never seen such a ridiculous display.

So please don't be fooled. They will try to sell this as some sort of Google meets Deloitte fantasy job, but in reality it is just a fancy upholstered sweat shop. Do yourself a favor, stay away. Unless money is the only thing you care about this place is not a good work environment for you.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to clients, employees, and most importantly yourselves. Read up on business strategy and growth. Hire more hr and talent staff and actually think things through instead of just throwing bodies at problems

Jun 28, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your honest and direct feedback. We want to reassure you that we take feedback from our people extremely seriously.

Firstly, we do recognise that in a very competitive consulting... More

10. "Overall good"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Hard to move between projects

Cons

Good people, ample opportunity for additional training and development

May 8, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we are pleased to read that you enjoy many of the benefits of working at Capco including the opportunities for career development and working with your colleagues... More