Capco Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Capco CEO Lance Levy
Lance Levy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good policies for working women and flexibility to manage work life balance" (in 45 reviews)

• "Great people with an approachable leadership team" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is what you make of it" (in 39 reviews)

• "There is no professionalism among senior management" (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent team, and even brighter future. A place you can be known and make an impact."

Current Employee - Managing Principal in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Principal in Houston, TX

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Capco offers the best of both worlds, a small company feel where you will be known and able to make an impact, but also brings a Big 5 punch when it comes to delivering complex projects to top tier clients.
    Projects are at industry leading companies. The caliber of talent steepens your own growth trajectory, as you are surrounded by passionate, bright, people with deep domain knowledge and technical expertise. You know the impact you can make on the organization and don’t feel like just another number - leadership within your group knows every employee by name. The recent shift to being private is a exciting step to fueling Capco's growth aspirations.

Cons

This holds true with all consulting firms, but since teams are dispersed across clients and locations it sometimes is difficult to come together as much as we would like. There is certainly effort made to do this through a variety of after hours events- social, family and philanthropic. The team looks forward to team wide get togethers as a reunion of sorts with people you don't see on your current project.

Advice to Management

More team events would be welcomed...liking your team and wanting to get together more seems like a high quality problem to have.

Capco Response

Aug 30, 2018 – HR

Thank you for your review and we're pleased to hear your enthusiasm for Capco shining through after 5+ years with the firm. As a senor leader in our firm, it's great to hear your comments on the... More

2. "The best consultancy company to woek"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Capco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent environment. People help each other.

Cons

Policies are under review all the time.

Advice to Management

To move people around the world.

3. "Incredible Work/Life Balance, Great Pay, Encouraging People"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Capco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life balance is great - 40 hours a week
    -Great pay, very competitive
    -Encouraging environment for professional and personal growth
    -People are great

Cons

-Easy to get complacent, gotta remember to keep your head up and continue to seek out opportunities to challenge yourself

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, remember to prioritize recruiting and retaining top talent. A consulting firm is only as good as it's people

4. "Your experience is dependent on the project assigned - but if you align yourself to the right people, great experience"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects with a ton of autonomy

Cons

Can get political around promotions time

5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Management Consultant

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Very flat organization with great corporate culture. Increasing client base

Cons

Could be stuck on a project for an extensive period but honestly this is not very different from most other places

6. "Associate"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

strong pay; good benefits; great people

Cons

lots of turnover, constantly changing ownership

7. "Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

Smart people, growth opportunities, rewards initiative takers

Cons

Poor gender balance, lower caliber talent, brand less well known compared to other Big 4, most project work is very PMO-centered

Advice to Management

recruit more women! don't promote needlessly.

"Consultant"

I have been working at Capco full-time

Pros

- Ability to be promoted based on good work and relationship with managers
    - Fun corporate sponsored events
    - Immersive two week Associate Talent Program - gain insight into the company, meet a lot of colleagues
    - Great people
    - Good work/life balance and compensation
    - Ability to learn great project management, presentation development, stakeholder management and analytical skills

Cons

- Your experience at Capco depends upon which projects you get and your manager- luck of the draw
    - Most work is straight execution/implementation work, less strategic than advertised
    - Not enough female executives at the top
    - Even with the large growth, still have some growing pains as a young company
    - Revolving door

Advice to Management

- Tell prospective employees the truth about the projects they will work on
    - Have more female partners
    - Annual ratings and roundtable process should be refined
    - Only have coaches that want to be coaches and will put in the effort
    - Listen to the Associates and their suggestions

"It's Ok?"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Capco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people you work with on the ground are great. The NY office has great coffee and snacks - when you can get to it.

The company also tries to host events/socials at the office on a semi-regular basis. Its annual holiday party is generally a lot of fun and people look forward to it months in advance.

You can also get exposure to a lot of different financial institutions, which is helpful if you're looking to get out of the industry.

The company offers good health benefits and a respectable 401k matching program.

Cons

While the office does have free food/drinks and social events - you'll be lucky if you can actually find time to head over there. A lot of the clients/projects have demanding work hours, which makes work/life balance obsolete. So, for the most part, you can forget about dropping by for an afternoon cappuccino.

I was lucky enough to land on some of the more strategic/advisory type projects that Capco has. However, the majority of my experience at the company can be lumped into the dreaded "staff aug" bucket. I was essentially doing the work of full time employees and not actually consulting. If I'm going to be doing that kind of work I might as well be treated like a full time employee (e.g. better hours & work/life balance, better management/oversight, more money [yes, it's surprising]), etc.).

As for pay, I know that HR regularly responds to these posts stating that they pay industry or above. However, this is not the case for people promoted internally. A lot of people are signifcantly underpaid (even with getting solid 5s and 4s). Sadly, it seems it takes threats of formal complaints to HR for people to see any sizable bump at year-end. I was aghast when I found out what a new hire with the same experience was paid and decided it was time to look elsewhere.

And for the obligatory HR reply to this post - yes, compensation complaints were discussed with my coach as was the lack of work/life balance (and also raised to client relationship manager).

Advice to Management

If you're going to preach work/life balance and praise Capco's culture - follow through on it. Make an effort to get engagement from all client accounts especially those with non-existent work life balance. Make sure their client relationship managers actually care about those working under them. A surprising number of MPs don't actually care about morale, worklife balance, or even abusive clients.

AOs, COs, and SCs should be to review those above them in a formal way.

Capco Response

Dec 13, 2018 – HR

Thanks for your post. We appreciate your feedback and encourage our people to share their ideas and suggestions with us about how to continue to enhance the employee experience. We realize that... More

10. "Great place"

Pros

Great training for new employees

Cons

Can get monotonous at times