Combined Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Combined Insurance President Kevin Goulding
Kevin Goulding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "very old fashioned company - train you mainly to do door to door" (in 32 reviews)

• "Long hours in the beginning until you get the process under your belt, but even that pays off in the long run" (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time

Pros

Top notch training.
    Great compensation and benefits package.
    Positive work environment

Cons

I don't have any cons at this point.

Mar 21, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave this positive review! We especially appreciate hearing from our current employees, and we love that you pointed out that we have a "positive work environment." We... More

2. "Snr AE"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Combined Insurance (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Income and flexibility are

Cons

Have to put in the time .

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the Agents

Jul 20, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this positive review! Our agents have the ability to run their day to day schedule to best suit their customers' needs, and they have the ability to earn a... More

"Great company to work for. But the Insurance business isn’t for everybody."

Current Employee - Agent/Benefits Advisor in Cannonsburg, KY
    Current Employee - Agent/Benefits Advisor in Cannonsburg, KY

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Good leadership and as an employee you have access to contacts of all levels of management. I’ve noticed people with bad reviews of the company because they haven’t succeeded or had a bad experience with a manager. This company gives you all the tools you need to succeed. From paid Training, to plenty of leads for customers as well as concern and motivation from management. If you as an agent do not succeed, your manager is penalized. So any one that says a manager did not have an interest in their success, is either lazy, doesn’t have to will to do what is needed in commission based sales, is lying about their experience or had a manager that didn’t care about their personal pay or success (which I have yet to encounter with this company) I’m not saying there aren’t managers that don’t care, because there may very well be some. But I haven’t seen or met any myself. Regardless of that. An agent is encouraged to reach out to different levels of management in the company for help, advice, and concerns with their job. Overall a great company and group of people to work with.

Cons

I do rack up the miles on my vehicle and spend a lot of money in fuel. And in some weeks when I have had a bad week it has been rough trying to fork out the money to make sure I’m in the field. And in some cases, policyholders initial payment may not go through or maybe the wrong info is put in and the company is unable to collect the first premium. I’m those cases the agent is charged back the amount of commission that was paid in their next paycheck before they have a chance to correct the issue and collect the payment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. But maybe it would be a good idea to collect chargebacks in installments from paychecks instead of all at once. Or at least allow a week or two for the agent to fix the payment collection issue before they’re charged back

Jul 20, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this positive review! We especially appreciate hearing from our current employees, and we appreciate that you have shared how supportive management has... More

4. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can set your own schedule

Cons

management in Miami is the worst

5. "ALL LIES"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE none at all. One week in Chicago that is "All expenses paid!" where they work you so hard that you have to stay up until 2 am studying to keep up. My poor fellow duped employees were the only positive thing about the trip.

Cons

Nothing this company told me when I was hired was true. I would not be trained in my home town, instead while I was in Chicago I was told that as soon as I got home I would be trained somewhere 3 hours from my home... another week in a hotel. Then one week at home and I was pressured into driving three hours away AGAIN for a one day conference that was more like a cult meeting. EVERY morning you have to sign into a sales meeting, no matter what you are doing, do a stupid cult like chant, and the managers are never on time so don't worry it WILL take more than a full hour. I was constantly denied proper materials and asked to BREAK THE LAW. DO NOT make the mistake I did.

Advice to Management

STOP LYING TO PEOPLE

6. "Agent"

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make some quick money. Good stepping stone for future career in insurance. Nice trip to Chicago.

Cons

What can i say, it is nearly impossible to make this job work. It can...for awhile. It is really all a numbers game, hire as many people as possible and hope a few can make it. They just don't care. It all about money. Managers and current agents get paid to bring people on. I was taught an "interview" with a perspective new agent was nothing than a mere sales pitch. You will get charged back. Their health insurance is high priced and doesn't cover much. The whole thing is like a pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

Hire quality candidates! I would have loved to stayed, however, there is no base. Nothing to help. You are given crappy leads, you drive all over and may not sell. Place more emphasis on quality and not quantity! No one is proud of a job just anyone can get. Period. No matter how good the product is, people know you will hire anyone to sell it so no one has respect for the company. You have to go on all these market meetings thar are hours away. Even though somethings are paid for, gas money and a days pay would be nice. There are so many small thinga you could do to make this work for an agent with talent, but the system isn't there. But, the good news is that id you stay with them long enough you will be actively recruited by other companies with much more to offer!

7. "Insurance agent"

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make money if you are inexperienced in insurance

Cons

Constantly pushing products to agents based on premium not best plan for client

Advice to Management

Stop with the constant talk about everyone APV

Jul 20, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Being an agent at Combined Insurance is a great opportunity for people to make an unlimited income based on the volume of sales. We offer training... More

8. "Bilingual Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

It is a sale business and that means 100% commission

Advice to Management

It would be great to get full benefits + hourly rate and commision

"Disappointed/Mislead/Lied to"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good at recruiting Unsuspecting college graduates with no work experience, especially insurance experience.

Cons

Misleading information from beginning to end. Pushy managers trying to get people loaded up for sales school to make their bonuses or get their higher ups off their back for not recruiting enough warm bodies per month.

Advice to Management

Do not mislead people into thinking they are allowed to review your company and be compensated for their time in sales school. In the school, they make you write down and acknowledge who is sacrificing for you being there. And then say well at least you are compensated for your time to take a look at what our “culture” is all about. If it’s for you, great! If not, that’s ok too! At least you get $500 for the week for your trouble.

That doesn’t happen unless you stay a while and let them get their tentacles into you even more. And then you’re stuck as a captive agent and have to wait to sell insurance elsewhere for certain periods of time.

"Overall"

Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Producer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some Flexibility as far as scheduling

Cons

not enough hands-on training for people with no sales experience

Advice to Management

Take time to really find out the tools the workers need & work with them to achieve sales goals.

Jul 20, 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Our agents have the ability to make their own schedule according to what is best for them and their customers. We strive to prepare our agents for... More