Dynetics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dynetics CEO David King
David King

Pros
  • Good work-life balance along with compensation and retirement (in 7 reviews)

• Dynetics is employee-owned and has great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Dynetics does not know how to sell itself, the concept of marketing is all but completely lost on the entire senior management team (in 3 reviews)

• Since crossing the large business threshold, there is no real plan on how to evolve and succeed as a large defense contractor (in 2 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

-Great Company
    -Great Values
    -Quality Work

Cons

-Transition Period
    -It is easy to be lost in the shuffle if you are not an engineer.

2. "A Great, Mid-Sized, Employee-Owned, Engineering Firm"

I have been working at Dynetics full-time

Pros

A great corporate culture that feels more like family than work.

Cons

Moving up in the company can be a long-term endeavor due to high employee retention and emphasis on organic growth.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the small-company feel and service leadership culture.

3. "I like working at Dynetics"

I have been working at Dynetics full-time

Pros

The people here love what they do, and that shows in their performance.

Cons

Communication could be slightly improved.

Advice to Management

Communication could be improved.

Feb 2, 2017 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are happy that you enjoy working with us. Unfortunately, miscommunication does happen every now and again. Dynetics strives to improve our ... More

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Above industry-level benefits
    2. Excellent organizational culture
    3. Great work-life balance
    4. Very ethical and professional people
    5. Company hires people for what they bring to the company (long term) not for what the contract position requires (short term)
    6. Company offers regular (monthly) life-coaching seminars.
    7. In-house nurse is a very convenient benefit.
    8. Excellent HR and accounting folks and processes
    9. This place is nirvana if you are an engineer.Lots of places to move around and try new things.

Cons

1. Because of the industry the company is in, the company is prone to the ebb and flow of the budget issues in the DoD. People scramble when the contract ends and there is no follow-on contract. There is no 'overhead' that can cover people while waiting. This causes a lot of anxiety and frustration when a contract ends - and there is no follow-on contract. The second result is people begin to look elsewhere.
    2. Some people (minority) complain too much when they 'loose' certain benefits. They need to count their blessings.

Advice to Management

1. Invest in more 'skunkworks' like what Lockheed does.
    2. Expand in other things (non-DoD) but do realize that commercial companies have a different product lifecycle - hence, the ebb-and-flow is not the same as the federal space.
    3. Expand in other geographical locations where other contracts are located. Don't overly focus on the local customer.
    4. Do something to address the ebb and flow (in between contracts). This causes very smart people to feel anxious and leave the company.
    5. Need to aggressively reach out and recruit from other universities.
    6. Don't make all complaints actionable items. Listen but you don't have to act on them (at least right away). Let the other employees see the big picture.

Feb 2, 2017 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review our company! We are always glad to hear that our employees view us in a positive light. We appreciate your feedback and your advice. We are always working to ... More

6. "Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance.
    Fantastic mini-courses offered on campus for free.
    Great reputation among customers.
    Very knowledgeable employees.
    On-campus extras like a gym and daily lunch vendors.

Cons

Not always easy to change teams or departments.
    Likelihood of working off-campus at customer sites, which aren't as nice as headquarters.

Feb 2, 2017 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review our company! We are pleased that you have so many great things to say about us. We understand the difficulties of transitioning teams/departments, and we ... More

7. "Feels like Family"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart and dedicated people. The management team really cares about their employees. They realize it's more difficult to find people than positions.

Cons

The management hierarchy is a bit confusing to those from the private sector.

Advice to Management

Attempt to align management with their employees on projects, whenever possible.

Dec 14, 2016 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review Dynetics! We are glad that you are enjoying our company culture. We understand that our management hierarchy is a bit difficult to understand, and we have ... More

"Dynetics rapidly losing its luster"

Current Employee - Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynetics used to be considered a great company, but long-time senior employees have been treated with indifference. Within the last 3 years, raises were sub-mediocre for senior level while giving decent ones to junior to mid-level for fear that they would be more inclined to jump ship. Now Paid Personal Leave has been cut for senior employees, as well as reduced for all employees regardless of time in service in a sneaky bait-and-switch manner.

Cons

In an appalling display of tone-deafness, or downright cold-hearted calculated-ness, the CEO made several cuts to Paid Personal Leave right before the Christmas season. To add insult to injury, PPL will not accrue while taking PPL, so for example if an employee "earns" 4 weeks of PPL annually, they will only get the full 4 weeks if they take NO PPL during the year, so in essence no one "earns" their full advertised PPL since most everyone takes vacation during the year.

Advice to Management

You don't seem to realize what talented employees you have and how you can easily lose them if you take them for granted. Loyalty for long-term employees is gone. Don't be surprised when you see good employees heading for the exit. You wanted Dynetics to be a large company, and you are succeeding in encumbering the company with added layers of overhead and bureaucracy as we speed toward mediocrity while alienating long-time employees.

9. "Great organization"

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in Madison, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Security Engineer in Madison, AL

I have been working at Dynetics (More than a year)

Pros

Fosters an innovative attitude and provides an environment of personal and professional growth.

Cons

Management is sometimes disconnected and doesn't communicate effectively.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are happy that you are enjoying being a part of our culture that nurtures and encourages innovation and growth. Although, miscommunication does ... More

10. "Current employment review"

Current Employee - Mechanical Designer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Mechanical Designer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Dynetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for the most part. Plenty of opportunities to learn other skills. Benefits are above standard.

Cons

Tends to operate like a small business despite its size. Salary growth can be somewhat limited. You have to actively seek out charge numbers and internal customers.

11. "So what are we?"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Dynetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dynetics employs a lot of intelligent, hard working people and is involved in a variety of fields like sensors, cyber and propulsion. They offer competitive salaries and benefits and provide opportunities for advancement and continuing education.

Cons

Since crossing the large business threshold, there is no real plan on how to evolve and succeed as a large defense contractor. There is a huge gap between the work that the top level executives would like to get into and the work that the line managers are pursuing. The people that built Dynetics into a very good engineering services company are in no way prepared to transition the company into a large prime contractor.

Advice to Management

Decide whether you really want to be a large prime or not. If so, realize that you can't keep all your existing work, and that some entire groups will need to be pushed out the door or sold off. Develop an actual, concrete plan on how you will win the first few large programs.

Otherwise, cut enough employees until you can regain the small business size and continue with the work that you're more familiar with.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Assistant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Dynetics! Our company has been named one of the "Best Places to Work" in North Alabama by both the North Alabama Society of Human Resources Management and ... More