Extra Space Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Extra Space Storage CEO Joe Margolis
Joe Margolis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Sitting down all day other than that no cons" (in 25 reviews)

• "Pay is slightly below the same position in other companies at District Manager level, but you typically work less hours" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company with awesome management!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was first presented with the opportunity to interview at Extra Space Storage, I thought storage sounded so boring (I was currently working at a huge online retailer).. but I researched the company and heard nothing but good things, and am so glad I took the job here almost two years ago! Even though storage isn't the most thrilling product, what I love about ESS is that they are always trying to keep their employees excited and involved, and are constantly growing and changing to keep up with technology and trends. They completely renovated the office space so it's very modern and open, there is free coffee, soda, and fruit, monthly office socials, food truck parties just to show the employees their appreciation, holiday parties, summer parties, and more! The benefits are fantastic - great medical, dental, vision, PTO, incentives to stay healthy and fit, 401K, and more.. The executive team is by far the best I've ever worked with- there are no egos (rare nowadays!), they value their employees' opinions, they remain transparent with everything going on with the company, and take the time to get to know each employee. Joe (the CEO) is by far the nicest CEO I've ever worked with as well.

There's a reason why we've become one of the best places to work!

Cons

I would say the training has lacked a little bit, but we just barely rolled out a new training program so that took care of it!

Advice to Management

Always keep the employees informed, because as soon as that stops, the trust goes out the window. Good job!

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Environment
    - Work/life balance
    - Advancement Opportunities
    - Uniform Allowance
    - Travel reimbursement programs
    - Sundays off

Cons

- Low Pay compared to the amount of work, you're the Salesman, Janitor, Collector, Customer Service Rep, Scheduler, Case Manager, Auctioneer, waste Manager, Plumer, Electrician, pest controller and much more. This is a Con because of the pay, but the knowledge gained for future careers may be seen as a neutral or pro. It is just a Con if you stay with the company at the low pay.

- No Unpaid time off nor "sick days"., if you miss a day of work for any reason, your "PTO" Paid time off must be used or burned to cover for your missing hours, you cannot go in the negative and if you have no PTO accumulated means you run the risk of getting fired.

- Minimal paid days off, apart from New years, Chrismas, Thanksgiving and Independence Day, there aren't many more days off, you will be working almost every major Federal holidays, I think there is only a total of 6 days in the entire year including the ones mentioned already.

- Having Every Sunday off is great apart from that they are traded with Saturdays. Your days off will be Sunday + one day of the week not including Mondays/ Fridays since they are the busiest days. You will work Every Saturday unless you use PTO.

-Lack of recognition, you might be the hardest worker but don't expect the acknowledgment from the District Team Leads.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more to your people, especially those who work harder than the rest. Glassdoor says this position is over the $30k range and it's not. To senior Management, when you come in to see your people, make them feel welcomed and show Leadership rather than coming in and make the employees feel like they are all doing a bad Job.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending where you work most of the times its the people that work with you that make working here worth it. Schedule is decent.

Cons

You are considered to be a store manager even if you are an assistant. They only created the Assistant position available as an excuse to underpay someone. As an assistant you are responsible for the same duties as a store manager and chances are you high that you would be running the store alone as an assistant without help but when it comes to your monthly bonuses you will never get anything back since you dont have the title of a store manager and its extremely hard to get credit for your hard work

Advice to Management

This company is so cheap. You have Assistants running stores without the proper help, you burn out everyone and thats why staffing is always short. You underpay for everything you expect us to do. Instead of promoting someoneto run a store you move an assistant to run a store so you dont have to pay them well, so they dont get their full bonus while they do all of the work. Promote, Pay us well and perhaps staffing wouldnt be an issue.

"People Expect a Lot"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm shocked at some of the reviews I'm reading. Complaining we "only" get six holidays off? I've worked at places where I didn't get any off.

If you don't like the pay, don't take the job. This is higher pay that I've gotten anywhere else for supervisor jobs.

Management is fantastic. It isn't true that you can't take Saturday/Fridays off without PTO. That depends entirely on your DM and is not a blanket statement for the entire company. And getting one weekend day off every week is standard for many companies.

A workplace isn't going to do every little thing you want it to, like giving you Presidents Day off or Saturdays and Sundays. You need to accept that or start your own business.

Cons

I didn't like our bonus structure this year because it didn't reward us for growth or work done, but they LISTENED TO THEIR EMPLOYEES and are rolling out a new bonus so this will be an old con.

No sick days isn't good but we make a lot of PTO and I think it's fair that we can use that as a sick day.

The days seem really long because they are all middle shifts. I wished we worked 8:30 - 5:00.

Advice to Management

Management continues to listen to employees and as long as they do that, this company will continue to move in a positive direction.

5. "Great company and people!"

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Invests in people at all levels. Great work-life balance. Strong culture and core values. Constantly looking to innovate through technology and industry standards.

Cons

Career growth outside of corporate office is limited. Bonus program based off ranking, can work for and against you.

Advice to Management

Protect the culture and values that made the company a great place to work. Never lose sight over the most valuable asset, the people!

6. "Assistant Manager"

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time

Pros

Great hours
    Good Pay
    Time off

Cons

benefits are not that great

"Extra Space"

Current Employee - Site Manager Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Site Manager Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall it's a great place to work. I've been with the organization for a few years now the moral and work life balance is great. I'm lucky to have a great DM who really works with the staff. The training, support and the perks are still fairly good. They offer bonuses which many companies and overall the company does a good job. The properties are well kept and it's a good working environment.

Cons

They have been cutting back a lot and sadly those cuts hit the field employees the most. They cut back on low waged employee bonuses and even gift cards. Granted that these items are perks but on the store level we are first liaison between the customer and management. They've also cut back on staffing budget allowances, and many stores are being left single staffed. This over works staff who are getting paid now as one individual but doing the work of two people. It also causes a danger concern having one individual working alone on a property. The turnover rate for the Assistant Managers are greater than any organization I've worked out previously. Due to low wages for the expectation of work. Another concern. It also makes it difficult for staff to take their hard earned vacations when there is no coverage. In turn this hurts the DM who are now unable to hire the right staff.

Advice to Management

Extra Space overall is doing well with training and moral, overall I know the company really cares about the staff. However, the pay scale and money cuts on field staff is hurting us. Please keep in mind the better you treat your low level staff the more likely they are to work harder and in turn take great care of your customers. Many of us at this level live paycheck to paycheck and the economy is tough out there. Extra Space can continue to grow and stay ahead of the game but please don't let the 2017 best place to work nomination get to your head. Keep the humble roots and continue to care and take care of the staff. You have to spend money to make money and investing that money in your staff is money well spent.

8. "Excellent People"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for and grow with

Cons

Customer’s sometimes have sad stories as to why the are in need of storage. You’ll get used to it.

"Great Environment, crappy benefits, OK Pay"

Current Employee - IT Department in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT Department in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IT Management is fantastic, Company direction is positive, Office is modern and well taken care of.

Cons

Health Benefits leave TONS to be desired. They are some of the most expensive benefits I have ever had, and UMR is terrible. Less vacation pay than previous employers. Pay is lower than I can get elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Take some of that profit you are making and spend it on the employees well-being.

10. "Bittersweet"

I worked at Extra Space Storage full-time

Pros

Team and Family Environment, On site Apartments

Cons

Not being fairly awarded opportunities to progress which ultimately created a loss of multiple employees

Advice to Management

Watch each managers numbers and promote to larger properties strictly based upon those not the fear of losing one. Being promoted should come well after one has established their ability.