KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 2,760 of over 3,681 reviews

4.3
Genentech Chief Executive Officer Alexander Hardy
Alexander Hardy

What people are saying about Genentech

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits are great and the company really go the extra mile to show that they care about their employees.(in 477 reviews)
  • "The people I work with are great and very inspiring.(in 338 reviews)
  • "Great company and culture!(in 204 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance in general(in 124 reviews)
  • "good pay which is great considering the headhunters cut of the pay and the fact that I did not recieve benefits.(in 120 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor Management and too many veterans who are 'protected'(in 95 reviews)
  • "No great managers as before(in 82 reviews)
  • "People with only a few years (less than 5 yrs) of experience hold senior leadership positions.(in 42 reviews)
  • "One major Con is that individuals are not measured by the amount of sweat and tears they generate, nor by their actual day after day accomplishments and victories, but instead by the impression they allow upper management to perceive of them.(in 33 reviews)
  • "Bureaucracy and favoritism is rampant(in 29 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Genentech and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years
    Featured Review

Best Place to Work for a reason!

Aug 6, 2021 - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Surrounded by brilliant, literally world-class colleagues -Management, teams, and colleagues always trying to make the company a better place to work -Meaningful, challenging work, -Great work-life balance and support resources -Compensation is consistently above market -A culture of radical candor and soliciting feedback

Cons

-Large organization can make decision-making slower, though it is well-reasoned and well thought out -Hiring process is slow, but does result in high quality colleagues

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

The future is very bright for Genentech

May 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Active investment in frontier-level science, substantive academic collaborations aimed at making breakthrough discoveries that transform what is possible for patients and at-risk people before they become patients. Potential for global scale and impact via 125 year-old Roche.

Cons

Not every day exemplifies the best of what is possible here

3. 5.0

Excellent company

May 20, 2022 - Continuous Improvement Leader in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Care about employees development and have respect for everyone

Cons

Too many changes going on all the time

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Postdoc salary

May 19, 2022 - Postdoctoral Fellow in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

exploratory sociable competitive fun science

Cons

within corporate pharma is hard to make a career

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Genentech Work Experience

May 17, 2022 - Junior IOS Developer in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy onboarding process, friendly group of coworkers, and interesting technologies and projects to work on

Cons

Sometimes placed in small teams with few mentors. Not much room to grow and learn

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Marvelous Company

May 16, 2022 - Director Procurement
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, career growth , quality life, compensation

Cons

Roche/Genentech is a marvelous company. No Cons.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful culture

May 13, 2022 - Therapeutic Area Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture. Very big on work/life balance and not a huge push on sales numbers. More patient care. Very refreshing in this industry.

Cons

Almost too little numbers focus. Never really sure how you are doing sales wise compared to others

8. 5.0

Great Benefits, Great Place to Work

May 10, 2022 - Group Operational Excellence Partner in South San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility to work remotely depending on the nature of the role. Covid-19 task force clearly communicates expectations for working on site. Safety and well-being are most important.

Cons

Some organizations within the company have a difficult time implementing feedback.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good company to work with

May 9, 2022 - External Quality
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of perks and other benefits.

Cons

South San Francisco campus doesn't offer many opportunities.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

One of the best places I have ever worked!

May 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits, opportunity for advancement (if you work for it and seek it - don't wait for it to come to you), supportive leadership.

Cons

Not all roles stayed remote, though I do think many more could be and that this would improve/maintain employee morale.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,760 Reviews

Genentech Reviews FAQs

Genentech has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 3,681 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Genentech to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Genentech employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Genentech. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

85% of Genentech employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Genentech 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Genentech to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Genentech Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Genentech? Share Your Experiences

Genentech Careers

Cover image for Genentech

The Genentech journey began in the unlikely meeting between a venture capitalist and a scientist. Two men, who may have never met if not...More

• Careers
  • New Grad/Intern
  • People
  • Community

Company Updates

Logo

88 days ago

Company News
Forbes has recognized us as one of the top companies on their annual list of America’s Best Large Employers! With more than half of our employees working remotely during the pandemic, we found new ways to stay connected and maintain our unique culture. Along the way, we realized that culture is more than what happens on our campuses. Learn more.
Shared image - What 'Corporate Culture' Means When The Office Isn't Center Stage
What 'Corporate Culture' Means When The Office Isn't Center Stage
www.forbes.com

Genentech Photos

+ Add Photo
Genentech photo of: Employees dress up for our annual Bay to Beakers Children's Walk, which benefits important children's causes.
Genentech photo of: We offer sustainable commute options to our employees including buses to nearby communities, shuttles to and from public transportation, and incentives for carpooling, biking and walking.
Genentech photo of: Our Pharma Technical Operations (PT) team ensures we meet our commitment to manufacturing breakthrough medicines for our patients and we cannot thank them enough for their hard work!
Genentech photo of: "The Edge" is one of our cafeterias at our SSF campus. This zero waste to landfill facility was designed with sustainability at the forefront.
Genentech photo of: From 5th grade mentorships to college scholarships, we're working to inspire the passion that changes patients' lives.
Genentech photo of: B34 was built on four pillars: sustainability, wellbeing, community, and innovation.
Genentech photo of: Giving back is in our DNA.