Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Jan 15, 2018

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a... More

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was excited that Genentech finally had a role that didn’t require pharmaceutical experience, so I applied for two roles. Had one call with the sourced and I was then connected with the hiring manager. After a couple of conversations, I came into the office and probably spent 5 hours total- 3 formal interviews and a few hours of discussing the work, looking at the way engagement and communications are done there. Overall it was easy interview process, and seeing the work was useful and different.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Yes it’s a classic but there’s a reason I mention this one.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A total of four members of the department interviewed me individually. My manager, coworker and two other managers of different group. The process took half a day and everyone was polite and professional.

Interview Questions

• What was your previous experience in your last role in a biotechnology company.   Answer Question

ORDP Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Long interviews with several previous analysts. They seem to care more about how you will fit in with everyone else rather than just your qualifications. The process takes an entire day.

Intern Interview

Interview

It was a very well-structured interview. The first round was taken in-person (1-on-1 based) about 30min and questions are generally behavioral questions. They didn't ask us any in-depth one. There's a second round in the following year which is made up of a full-day intense interview.

Interview Questions

• Q. Please share your recent leadership experience.   Answer Question
    • Q. What is your strength or weakness?   Answer Question
    • Q. How do you come up with solutions when I feel like you have no experience or no one to ask?   Answer Question

Patient Navigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Panel interview 3 hours total. Asked several behavioral questions and given 20 mins to complete a case study and provide feedback
    Each panel was with two hiring managers and lasted one hour.
    Be sure to give concrete examples and tell a story

Interview Questions

• Describe your communication style and give example
      Describe a time when you had a conflict at work and how you handled it   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

online application --> on campus --> on site
    the whole process lasted for 3 weeks and the on-site interview is not very conventional. I waited for 40 mins until the teams showed up. They also ask very chill questions like your hobbies.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

A couple of rounds of interviews plus a final panel interview. Interviews ranged from one on one to panel interviews. Some were more casual conversations and others more difficult behavioral related questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Genentech and the position you applied for?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was phone-screened then invited for an on-site interview. The on-site interview was approximately 3.5 hours. The interviewers were quite friendly and most of the questions asked were standard behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why I want this position, strengths and weaknesses, what type of environment I thrive in   Answer Question

PDRP Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview began with submitting an online application through the genentech website. Towards the end of the year a first brief phone screen was performed followed by a second. On-site interviews were then held which were a day-long process with around 6 interviewers. Interview groups were ~5-7 people. All interviews were one-on-one

Interview Questions

• One good question was you have a right cylinder on the counter that is glass and totally see through. There is liquid in the cylinder that appears to make it just over or under half-full. Using just the objects in this room (not much there) how could you determine more precisely if it is over or under half full?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

Straight forward interview for R & D. You need to be able to justify what you write down on your resume, especially the technical, scientific and trouble - shooting parts. If you have publications, you need to be able to describe what you did, its findings, etc.