Genentech Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Genentech Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2018

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

If you are interviewing for roles at Genentech, buckle up and be prepared for a very lengthy process. There is no hurry on their end and I would chalk that up to the company's reputation for being a top employer in the area. I had several phone interviews before getting to the onsite interview with several weeks of waiting in between.

Phone interviews: First interview was weird because it's a third party interviewer that asks a preset list of questions and you can hear her typing up your answers. It's strange and impersonal. Another phone interview was with someone not even working with the team (former employee) and asking another list of questions but at least this one was more personable. You don't get much value since they don't work on the team and you have no clue who the hiring managers are. It's pretty vague up until this point. Questions focused on your experience and ability with strategy and analysis.

Onsite interviews: Prepare to be there for the full day. It's long,it's grueling and you meet many people. They all ask the same questions, mainly behavioral. They want to know how you are able to work in teams, cope with difficult people/situations, prioritize tasks, etc. I found this to be strange since the only opportunity to showcase your analytical ability is in the case study of which is clearly a graph that only internal people can understand. Case study would have been better if you had a few minutes by yourself to digest it before discussing it. The other interesting component to the interview is the presentation. They ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic of your choice but it should showcase your strategy and analytical abilities. You present to people you interviewed with. The hardest part is that you are presenting at the end of the day when you're dog tired from talking to 10 other people.

Overall I would say the experience was good to have under my belt. With the fight for talent in the area I wonder if they lose people for having such a prolonged process. You'll find yourself having to constantly follow up between rounds. While everyone was very nice and friendly, I questioned their setup while I was there. Like someone else pointed out here on Glassdoor, everyone seems to be in an office which felt very siloed and not team oriented. Yet most questions focused on your ability to work in teams.The atmosphere was also dead quiet and not buzzing with activity as I have seen in other companies. This may work for some but it is something to think about whether this is the type of culture you want to be in. It is clear they have a hard time finding people for these roles (they are constantly reposting the job) and I think it's due to their interview process and style. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions - every interviewer will ask this. Be prepared with stories (STAR format) to address topics on how you work in teams, handle difficult situations and people, how you handle influence others that don't report to you, etc. There is one case study which you can't prepare for. Most of the interviews is smoke and mirrors - the interview you need to ace is the case study. Having one case study be the major data point is a bit ridiculous. I would say that if this is the most important criteria the team should think about having multiple case studies to give a better picture on a person's ability and focus less on the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Genentech Response

Dec 21, 2016 – Staffing Programs

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed review. We appreciate your opinions and insight about our interview process with our Market Analysis & Strategy group. Since you have covered a... More

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

This website was helpful for quelling my woes so I will give back with this post. I applied online. Got an email from the hiring manager that described the position. We set up a phone interview. It was for an RnD intern position so I made sure to show my enthusiasm by asking for relevant scientific papers to read (didnt read them all). HM had me call them and HM introduced themself. I made sure to prepare by googling information about the HM (education, papers, linkedin) and researched interview questions and answers. Given all that, I guided the entire conversation to my strengths. Make sure to do research on genentech as well. History, recent FDA approved drugs relevant to my interests blah blah blah. I ensured a follow up by leading the conversation to a recent paper that I asked be sent to me after the call. The HM did. Week later HM says I am among the top candidates. Week after that HM sent me an offer. I was interviewing far from the HQ. I didnt have a second round. nor have I ever been to the HQ prior. Before I can accept I had to do a background check by Certiphi. I dont know the results. They say that no news is good news on that front. Then I officially accepted the offer on the website. It included relocation money. Good luck!!

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was a contractor prior to getting employed. I had 9 different interviews over the course of a month - interview was detailed but not technical in nature. Focus was on soft skills and management/problem solving style

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation you worked through and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Senior Device Engineer Interview

Interview

Onsite interview lasted nearly 2 full consecutive days and I was also asked to prepare a 30-minute presentation (i.e., 2 days vacation days from work, plus substantial preparation time).

After the interview I never heard from them again, despite following up twice.

Incredibly rude, disrespectful and unprofessional.
    Do not waste your time interviewing with this department.

Business Analyst - Pharmacy Informatics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Genentech (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied online. I received an email to schedule a phone interview in a weeks time . The interview was basic explaining me about what the position is all about and my expectations.

I received a reply and was asked to come in person to the company for a in person interview. The interview was done by 2 people for 45 mins. They asked me questions about my resume and what i have done .
    Most of the questions were behavioural . trying to get to know me

Interview Questions

• How will you as a business analyst deal with data complications?   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Genentech (Oceanside, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy and straightforward. I had applied online via Genentech’s career portal and got an email a couple weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes long and to my surprise, very easy and laid back. The interviewer was very nice and the dialogue was casual. It essentially became an informational interview where I got the chance to learn more about the company, position and the summer project that the position was for. It was a good mix of behavioral and easy technical questions. These technical questions were more about my experience with various technologies (listed within the job description) rather than the typical CS trivia. A couple of days later, I had gotten an email from the HR with the offer. I would suggest studying the job description, reviewing your experience with the listed requirement, and especially looking up the interviewer on LinkedIn if you can. That helped me form the “right” relevant questions to guide the conversation to both express my interests and learn more about the project.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with hardware?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What is your experience with databases and web dev?   Answer Question
    • What specific things about the job description that prompted you to apply?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process was a phone screen followed by a day of interviews. There were 5 one hour long interviews with each of the managers. The interview questions were fairly technical and I was asked to elaborate on my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background   1 Answer

Interview

I got an email about the phone interview, The interview was then scheduled a week from the date I received the email. The interviewer called me right on time as it was scheduled.
     She was informative and pleasant to speak with. She gave me many scenario questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe one situation when you had led your team to success.   Answer Question
    • Describe one scenario where you had to communicate with your team well in order to solve an issue.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

On Campus and On-Site interview. Very behavioral and diverse amount of questions. First interview around 30 minutes. Second is 5 hrs. Very nice and conversational interview. Talked directly with managers and co-workers from site. Really looking for team-based people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to provide a set of directions successfully.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you had to come up with a creative idea to a problem.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech.

Interview

The interview process was smooth and transparent. The hiring manager came to meet per the agreed time, and the whole team made time to meet with me to interview. The team comprised of 3 groups of interviewers who would interview me at different time and room. They also showed me around, which was nice.

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Genentech (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I think there is normally a phone screening but since I had an employee referral I was able to go straight to a phone interview. I got invited for an all-day, onsite interview which consisted of several back-to-back interviews and a job talk.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers each asked several questions when we met 1:1. The questions ranged from what specific statistical terms meant to how do you interpret study results in certain scenarios.   Answer Question
    • Two slides into my presentation, I started getting asked good questions about my study methods. Some of the questions were about how I determined categories for variables or how I calculated measures.   1 Answer