GoPro Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2021

4.1
GoPro Founder & CEO Nicholas Woodman
Nicholas Woodman
Pros
  • "I feel like I have the ability to make an impact and yet still have a great work/life balance(in 32 reviews)

• "First gopro is a really good company to work with they make the best cameras for capturing action videos(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management is so non-experienced that they resolve problems by simply laying off people(in 17 reviews)

• "Poor management and lack of innovation(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of GoPro and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Finally on the right path!

Jun 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Emphasis on employee engagement (even while remote / shelter in place) - Really cool opportunities to connect with employees (remote yoga & workouts, DIB listening & learning sessions, remote book clubs, game contests, etc) - Competitive compensation, bonus and RSUs - Amazing benefits - Huge opportunity for financial gain with the stock / RSUs being relatively low - Managers / Leaders always look internal first for promotions / upward mobility

Cons

Pre COVID-19, I would have said that we keep doing the same thing year-over-year expecting different results.... This year is different, and every employee feels it. There is a new energy at GoPro and we are so excited for what is to come. COVID-19 forced GoPro to adopt a DTC (direct to consumer) model to prioritize our GoPro.com efforts over sales through retail, etc. For the first time in a long time, IT MAKES SENSE. The opportunity is right in front of us, and all teams are executing at an incredible level to make this turnaround successful. Our strong brand will pull us through COVID-19 and then we are going to be extremely well-positioned for amazing things in 2021 and beyond. I can’t wait.

Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review our experience at GoPro. We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your time here and that you hold such a positive outlook for what's next. We, too, are feeling optimistic about where GoPro is headed. If you have additional feedback you'd like to share, don't hesitate to connect with us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Excellent place to jumpstart your career

Apr 26, 2021 - Technical Support Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well, cool company to work for

Cons

The position itself was a little tedious

3. 4.0

Great place to work!

Apr 5, 2021 - Mechanical Engineer in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People are great, those left here WANT to be here, and are high performers - DTC and subscription model seems to be paying off - Flexible work arrangements - Great health benefits - Discounts (30-50%) at most major outdoor industry companies (ski, bike, surf, outwear, electronics, etc) - Exciting projects - Work life balance has been great - Stock is up at the moment - Culture, even while remote, feels amazing. Very active community on Workplace (internal message board), sharing cool content, great discussion and active conversations about how to grow business

Cons

- No 401k match currently - Compensation is ok, but of course not as high as FAANG/Snap - Being out innovated by chinese companies and cell phone industry - Lack of resources to add obvious features and enhancements to the ecosystem - Negative aspects due to trying to keep shareholders happy - Short term thinking trying to survive the pandemic, as opposed to long term thinking and investing

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of Potential, but Bad Management Keeps Holding it Back

Feb 21, 2021 - Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Good product and brand 2. Mostly great co-workers 3. 50% off GoPro's and accessories every quarter 4. Good work-life balance 5. Depending on where you are, the pay is very good, and also has a bonus plan 6. Fantastic medical, dental, and vision benefits

Cons

1. The CEO needs to go. Too often he has taken the blame for the company's bad decisions but yet he continues to stay there because he owns most of the company. He should leave the day to day running of the company to a CEO who knows what he/she is doing. 2. The CFO is also terrible. Most of the pricing decisions came from him and were awful. There is a reason the stock is where it is and it's due to the CEO and CFO 3. The company talks a good game about diversity, but of the C level executives there is not a single person that is non-Caucasian. There are some women in high positions which is great but not good enough. 4. Too many decisions are taken that are based on gut feeling by the CEO, despite stating they look at data.

3 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for your years of contributions to GoPro! We value all feedback, positive and negative, as it helps us understand what we are doing well and where we have room to improve. We are in the midst of reshaping the future of GoPro with our transition to a more efficient, subscriber-oriented direct-to-consumer model, and at times our long-term business goals can create short-term challenges. And we are continuously working to build a more representative GoPro. We will always have work to do here and invite you to contribute to the actions we take to improve GoPro. We hope you participated in our recent Global Diversity, Equity, Inclusion + Belonging Day (DEIB Day) + encourage you to participate in DEIB Force activity, ERGs and/or our DEIB discussion groups on Donut. Participation drives action and we appreciate your willingness to contribute to our evolution. We’re happy to discuss other feedback you may have. Please email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

This is the kind of place where I want to work so I'm glad to be here.

Feb 22, 2021 - Senior PCB Design Engineer in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A larger-than-life profile that brings alternate and often extreme sports from the fearless pros to the astonished masses, not your average camera company. GoPro tries really hard to improve the day-to-day and long-term outcomes for their "family". Everyone I've encountered has been positive and it shows even through the lack of actual face-time.

Cons

There are a few areas were we need to improve the customer experience. The touchscreen and the WiFi connectivity are two areas for improvement where I want to focus for the next-gen Hero camera.

Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are grateful for your feedback as it helps us continually improve the experience for our GoPro Family. We encourage you to contact us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com if you'd like to share any additional feedback.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great People Trying To Do Too Much

Jan 25, 2021 - Director in San Mateo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management has been very supportive of employees during COVID and the transition to fully remote. Recently started having less meetings on my team, which was a good move to acknowledge zoom fatigue and that not every decision requires a meeting. Good benefits and we have fun together.

Cons

High expectations for everyone, without the support or budget needed to meet company priorities. This means that high performers who care about the company kill themselves to deliver and those that are slacking are becoming more obvious. For a long time we had the best of being a family-oriented people-first company, now some key values and culture are getting lost while we still try to perform as if we are a LARGE public company.

Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback (+ your contribution for the last 3+ years!). We value your feedback and appreciate you bringing to light struggles you + the business might be facing with expectations. We would encourage you to have an honest conversation with your manager or please connect with us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com to discuss further.

7. 5.0

Amazing Company

Mar 12, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hires truly talented individuals, friendly coworkers, great company culture, inspiring company meetings, free cameras, amazing health benefits, has a diversity and inclusion initiative. This is the first company I've ben proud to work for.

Cons

You may have to work on legacy code from time to time.

Recruiting Operations Program Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you taking time out of your day to share your review and are so pleased to learn that you are having a positive experience. We care deeply about the wellbeing of our employees and hope it continues to show. Should you have any additional feedback please feel free to email us at recruitingfeedback@gopro.com.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, but head of department was not so great

Apr 16, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun place to work, everyone was so nice. Managers understood the hardships. Stocked kitchen full of snacks and drinks.

Cons

Head of department didnt understand the needs of his employees to better assist customers.

9. 4.0

GoPro

Apr 18, 2021 - Director of Brand Strategy in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

culture, comp, perks, global community, inspiration

Cons

instability, lack of loyalty, lack of consistent strategy

10. 2.0

Core development not in US

Apr 9, 2021 - Firmware Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diversity. Many foreign born engineers.

Cons

Core development not in US

Viewing 1 - 10 of 322 Reviews