Hot Topic Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Hot Topic CEO Steve Vranes
Steve Vranes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The dress code was very lax and let you fully express yourself" (in 114 reviews)

• "Employee discount is the best I've ever had" (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only cons for sales associates is the hours depending on the sales volume of the store" (in 44 reviews)

• "Sporadic waves of firing and laying people off so upper management changes frequently" (in 43 reviews)

1. "LOVE IT"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely LOVE working for this company. I love my co workers and it is a fun place to be. The discount is pretty good!! really can't beat it!

Cons

Your hours are based on your sales. so if you don't do so well in sales... you may not get as many hours as you'd like.

2. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you get to interact with are great, you get to dress and look how you want, lots of opportunity to move up

Cons

Moving up past store manager usually requires working as a MUM, with no increase in pay, you almost always have to relocate in order to move past store manager, pay is not very competitive for the amount of work that is expected.

Advice to Management

Start paying your employees what they are worth or they will not stick around.

3. "Fun Place to Work"

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

Loved the people I worked with, good job if you like geeky/nerdy stuff. Fun atmosphere

Cons

Bottom line: it's retail. You'll have to work with some difficult customers and situations.

"Great Environment"

Current Employee - MUM
    Current Employee - MUM

I have been working at Hot Topic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome supportive staff from top to bottom

Cons

Retail Hours, and working holidays

5. "it was a balance between being in the unknown and know"

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

*Discount is 40% off most promotion and previous discounts
    *Make actual connections with customers. A place were you can share your hobbies and or fandoms.

Cons

*Stress. You could never go in and enjoy the day making sales.
    *Workload not fair on staff members. within team favoritism

Advice to Management

Just do you job.

6. "Fun Job If You Know the Product!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees
    Amazing products to talk about with customers

Cons

Management can be troublesome
    Store set-up could become messy

Advice to Management

Manage store layouts more efficiently

7. "District Manager"

I worked at Hot Topic full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for.

Cons

Put too much on Sms without the payroll to support them.

8. "Key Holder"

I worked at Hot Topic part-time

Pros

Fun, Interesting, Good to work for

Cons

The district manager is difficult

9. "Every gothic kid's dream come true"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Hot Topic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount first off, 40% off merchandise and 10% off CDs/Electronics. If you are in a management position there are 401K and insurance offered to you. As a part-time assistant manager, I was guaranteed 32 hours a week. You also can enter into contests with other Hot topics on things like money made, who sold the most funko pops! most credit card sign-ups, things like that. You also get a bonus if you make your monthly goal, the biggest I've gotten is $16. Depending on your position you do get paid for certain holidays which is nice. One of the nicest things I have ever seen out of a company is you can put a small amount of your paycheck into a large mile of money with all the other Hot Topic employees who choose to do this, and if an emergency happens they will use that money to help that employee. For example, once my district manager was in and it came up that an employee at another Hot Topic house caught fire and burned down, they were able to dig into that money pile and give him a bit to help him out.

Cons

It is a sales job, there are goals you are expected to meet. If you do not meet these goals you will get written up and after so many write-ups you can get fired. As an assistant manager meeting these goals and the team meeting these goals it fell heavily on my shoulders. The big guys bark down your back to get every transaction to be $30+ and with 3 items or more. They also heavily push you to get every customer possible to sign up for the credit card. My store was also a "conversion store" basically, there was a machine near the front door that counted how many people came into the store and the computers count how many people bought things and at the end of the day we got a score based on how those numbers added up, if it doesn't pass a certain level, guess what you get in trouble. Kids running in and out? People coming in looking for adult novelty because they get you confused with spencers? Anything you can think of they don't care about excuses they only care about numbers. It was kind of cool, they run a lot of contests but you go up against every Hot Topic in your district, so if you're like me in a tiny city Hot Topic and you are in a contest to see who can make the most money in the weekend good luck against some of the higher volume Hot Topics. If you are at least part-time management you get vacation hours and sick hours based on how many hours you work and you have to be there for at least a year to use them. Depending on the size of your team you may not be able to take off more than 2 days at a time so you can't really use vacation time to go on a vacation. If you are only wanting to be a sales associate expect less than 10 hours a week. Besides these things regular retail horror, shoplifting, angry customers, and having customers hit on you a lot. I love Hot Topic but I hate to say, I've never worked for such a money hungry company before this. Moving up in the company isn't too easy either unless someone higher above you quits its not really a possibility to move higher. This job is not for someone who cannot handle stress, you have the basics of a retail job and interacting with people, but you are expected to make a certain amount of money a day and reach certain goals, if you don't you could be fired.

Advice to Management

Not all stores in Hot Topic is a conversion store, I wish they would make this all or none. It is a little unfair for some Hot Topics to have to worry about this when others don't. (conversion store is when a machine by the door counts how many people come into the store and based on the number of sales you make you get a score at the end of the day). I know sales are important but sometimes the employees try their best but still come out short. I cannot begin to tell you how often I would dress provodicavly to try and get better sales or more credit card sign-ups, and I would sometimes use lunch as an incentive if I did well the previous day.

10. "Awesome Company"

I worked at Hot Topic full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for. Lots of opportunities.

Cons

None. I really enjoyed working there.