Hot Topic Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

3.7
Hot Topic CEO Steve Vranes
Steve Vranes
Pros
  • "Pretty lax dress code, Great atmosphere, Understanding management, very nice employee discount(in 143 reviews)

• "Great employee discount over 40 %(in 93 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management sucks, anyone above the store manager does not care about you or your well-being(in 60 reviews)

• "Outside hires for management meant sales associates often knew store better than managers(in 52 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hot Topic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great Company

Nov 12, 2020 - Assistant Manager in Saint Cloud, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The management and company listens and cares about what the employees have to say, offers flexible hours for sales associates pursuing education and furthering their careers, and offers benefits for ASMs and SMs. The environment requires masks for employees and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, creating a safe environment to be in. Very inclusive and diverse employees in every aspect of the company.

Cons

Can be hard to obtain a position, as there are many applicants and few openings available.

2. 5.0

very non-stressful and fun

May 8, 2021 - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

a space where i can be myself and be around people i can talk to.

Cons

I have no cons for this job.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Things got dark pretty quickly

Apr 29, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The 40% discount you'd get as an employee was great. Most of my co-workers were really great.

Cons

You might have applied for a full time position, but you get hired for a part time position working 1-3 days and you only work 5 hour shifts. So if you are looking to get more shifts, it's not happening. The managers will find any reason they can to let you go before the 30 day probation period. I had most of the managers tell me how good of a job I was doing only to have one manager give me a written letter telling me how bad I was doing which made no sense since I got told the opposite on multiple occassions. This manager even faked a day on my incident report just to make it easier to let me go before the 30 day probation period was over. The managers constantly told me that they are accepting of people with learning disabilities and will help out but it seemed as if that is why they let me go. The only reason I gave this an overall of 2 stars is because the majority of my co workers were really cool. I have actually kept in contact with a few of them after leaving.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overworked and Underpaid

Apr 16, 2021 - Part Time Assistant Manager in Fair Oaks, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

40% off discount on almost all product, on top of sales. Reimbursement up to I think $25 on concerts and conventions. Pronouns will get used properly and the staff is very open and accepting. You'll get to impact people's lives and get paid to infodump / talk about your interests.

Cons

Management attitudes affect the whole staff, everyone is severely underpaid for the amount of work needed, though May 1 when the minimum wage raises for associates the job will be reasonable. Higher management said managers will eventually get a raise as well. ...Eventually. No news on how much. I have enough job responsibilities I should be making at least $17/hour. Good Luck.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Culture was okay, but management was a mess.

May 6, 2021 - Retail Associate in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I liked a lot of my coworkers, and I got to meet really cool people everyday.

Cons

There was no camaraderie between management and staff. They handed out writeups like candy and made a toxic environment. Especially with one particular manager I had who asked me extremely offensive questions. Still wish I reported him to HR.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Fun place to work

May 1, 2021 - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are great, discount is worth it %40 off and get discount at Torrid and %30 off at Box Lunch

Cons

The pay is not the best, but it is retail so what do you expect

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's great

May 2, 2021 - Sales Associate in Towson, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

inclusive workforce, it's fun place to work

Cons

the regular con of retail work: customers can be unkind lots of hours standing

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Liked the actual work, but could never get enough hours.

Feb 21, 2021 - Impact Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a stockperson, I got to focus on unpacking boxes, stocking the store, and setting up displays during off-hours. This might sound boring to some people, but as an introvert who gets worn out by conversation with people this was perfect. Getting to know the product this way also helped during the times where I did have to serve customers.

Cons

"Off-hours" typically means starting early in the morning before the store opens (typically at 7AM) or after 6PM on Sundays and running until midnight. To a certain extent I enjoyed my flexible and part-time schedule, but working those two extremes could get tiring. This also really isn't a job you can really grow in. Your next level up is keyholder, which isn't a perk if you're completely uninterested in management like me. While I generally liked the store I was at, it wasn't large enough to warrant a full-time position. And now with the pandemic forcing retailers to cut back on stock, there's even less need for my position these days.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Stressful but So Much Fun

Mar 21, 2021 - Part Time Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

MASSIVE discount, usually easy to get along with teams (I worked at five locations and rarely had any issue), very rewarding job imo, and there really is a lot of opportunity to love up. Every single year after holiday position are reassessed and if there are any spaces to love around managers will take the opportunity.

Cons

Very stressful. It is the fastest paced environment I have been in since I entered retail and it demands a lot of you.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Much better than expected!

Mar 9, 2021 - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team and my boss are fantastic both as people and coworkers. I genuinely enjoy the product and being able to be my authentic self at work is affirming. Company has good standards and is pretty by the book when it comes to policies. The management bonus is a great incentive, and I feel supported by my DM to be able to achieve those goals.

Cons

By far the worst part of the job is customers, as with most retail environments. There are some fantastic regulars that make my day, but busy times likes holidays, hot cash redemption, and this pandemic in general have been the most I've been insulted at a job in my entire life.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,292 Reviews