IDT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 24, 2019

3.3
Samuel Jonas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work/life balance - very family oriented (many parents)" (in 10 reviews)

• "Great work environment (sport facilities, relaxation rooms, comfortable conference rooms, well designed kitchens - cafetieres, parking garage)" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management (not mid level) has struggled with corporate direction as margins shrink in traditional telecom" (in 7 reviews)

• "ZERO rewards/appreciation for hard work" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Promotes a positive team enviroment. Great place to work!"

Current Employee - RAM in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - RAM in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at IDT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IDT like many companies, has faced new challenges that have come through new technologies. They continue to introduce new products to enhance revenue and sales opportunities. This gives us the opportunity to grow our knowledge base and increase our compensation.
    Managment consistently requests feedback about changes and has promoted and values a team enviroment.
    Managers recognize hard work and it is rewarded.

Cons

Could be a little stressful sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and continue to improve!

"A company with no structure"

Current Employee - Retail Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at IDT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacations days in the beginning of the year to use as needed

Cons

Don't pay car allowance, mileage or any expenses, you use your own car. Overwork the employees, no advancement or pay increases. You have to do the sales, installations, customer services, collect money from the customers, do the deposits to the bank. You are totally responsible for that money, if you lose it you have to pay for it. Commissions are miserable.
    A big Company with Poor Management Skills. The management needs training on how to properly manage people. It's a tense and strained workplace. Sell Persons work in constant threat that they will be fired. You don't have a voice and the only response from the manager to any situation is "there's the door". Management does not care about employees or customers, they're only concerned about hitting the numbers they are expected to hit. No opportunity for advancement, no pay increases, no bonuses, overworked & underpaid!!!
    Stressful and hostile environment. ZERO rewards/appreciation for hard work. Managers are uneducated and should never have been trusted to run any departments, and to make it worst they micromanages EVERYTHING. They need to know what you do every minute of the day, you even have an app in your tablet with a GPS that monitor every step you do.
    The sales department are very mistreated. Very Inconsistent with training, You are just another dollar. They expect it from you to work 9 lines of business with the same paycheck. They promise commissions that they don't pay. You're hired to be a salesperson but actually you have to do the sale, installations, training, customer service, collections, deposits to the bank etc. They don't pay for gas or any expenses. They make promises to the customers that they don't meet. You'll have ridiculous goals to do a month. Every department is your boss, so be prepare to receive instructions from everyone.
    Once you open your own accounts they let you go and transfer those accounts to the privilege employees to grow their sales.
    They don't have structure, work ethic or loyalty for their employees or customers.

Advice to Management

Managers should go back to school and take a few course on Leadership and Management. They need to understand themselves as a leader,
    understand leadership styles and the effect they have on people
    Use feedback and self-review to enhance their leadership skills,
    work on their communication skills and ability to align their team with organisation’s goals and vision. Learn solid techniques for organising and implementing complex plans and projects. Build happier and more productive teams etc etc etc.
    Here's some suggestions;
    Breakthrough Problem Solving
    Creativity and Innovation
    Emotionally Intelligent Leadership
    Engaging Leadership
    Fostering Accountability, Adaptability, and Resilience Etc.

Threatening and derogatory name-calling to your employees it's illegal, learn about it.

Apr 16, 2019 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

Our leadership team takes your review seriously and we acknowledge that we ask a lot of our Retail Account Management (RAM) team. IDT appreciates all of the hard work that goes into making our sales... More

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at IDT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really Good people to work with

Cons

Will update when I notice one

4. "Stay Away from this place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Parking Garage, coffee machine

Cons

When you get promoted, management gives you a salary increase in what is good for you and not with the norms of the position. This is a place where you can have a mid-level management position but someone who is an analyst can be making so much money.
    The company is slowly dying with wave after wave of layoffs.

Advice to Management

If you want people to stay , pay them the norm of the salary!

Feb 14, 2019 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We are disappointed to hear that you feel that you weren't being compensated according to your responsibilities!

IDT uses a rigorous process to determine compensation, including duties, location... More

5. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Pastry Cook in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Pastry Cook in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are very friendly and outgoing.

Cons

Bad location, hard to commute
    Empty kitchen with no snacks at all. (Actually they provided bananas and apples maybe every Tuesday and Thursday)
    Poor compensation and no clear path in promotion
    C level people might not evaluate the importance of tech but trying to outsource, which might be the reason why boss app is so outdated

Advice to Management

None

Apr 16, 2019 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

Our teams are very friendly and nice people to work with!

We have a few easy ways to get to our office, including a parking garage that is free for employees, a light rail station behind our... More

6. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, NJ

I have been working at IDT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible, good enviroment for work.

Cons

Poor employee training and managerial support

Advice to Management

Invest in systems and training to employees.

7. "developer"

Pros

at a nice location and nice office

Cons

Management needs to be improved

"Avoid. Massive Offshoring Effort"

I have been working at IDT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's a lot of new technologies to learn. From all things AWS to "newer" languages like Go. Learn what you can, and then find a better opportunity elsewhere.

Cons

I cannot stress this enough. Be very wary of any opportunity for growth in this company if you are in Technology. Due to continued declining revenues from its Telecom business, the company has made a strategic decision to shift its software development overseas. This process has been happening for well over a year. We have seen our scrum teams grow in sizes from 7-8 members to well over 15 people, with half of them from overseas. The economic reasons for this is hard to refute. For the salary of a state-side developer, you can get 2.5 developers overseas.

Morale at this company is at an all-time low. A major reason for this is that upper management have started using performance reviews as a tool to justify laying off of higher paid employees. For the last 4 quarters, there is a steady process of laying off US-based employees, with replacements coming from overseas. Many of IDT's brightest talents have already left.

Senior management is playing a very risky game. On the one hand, they need to reduce costs. However, they are already running into the risk of losing their domain knowledge experts--many who have already left the company. At some point...you will end up with a telecom / fintech company that collapses under itself due to absence of technical domain expertise.

If you are considering a technical job at IDT, I would tell you that you will learn a lot. But don't expect to be around for more than one or two years. I would expect the footprint of the technology department on the US-side to be very small over the next 2 years---mostly technical leaders managing the workload of the offshore resources.

Advice to Management

Stop the shady practice of using performance reviews as a basis for laying people off just so you don't have to offer severance.

Recognize the fact that in the pursuit of reducing expenses, you are in danger of losing your most valuable resources (employees). Be very aware of where that tipping point is. I hope you realize how critically low morale is within your company.

Nov 26, 2018 – IDT Talent Management

Thank you for your service to IDT for over 5 years. We wish your observations were different, but we understand why these are your observations and we are working hard to improve our policies and the... More

9. "system"

Pros

good location, good building, good gym

Cons

management is not so good

10. "IDT Good, maybe dated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at IDT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy. Working with a good, energetic team.

Cons

Perhaps a dated product in these high tech times.

Oct 22, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition, Development, and Retention

We do have a large number of products! They were all built at different times in our history and are of varying degrees of age.

If you are referring to our unified communications as a service... More