Kaplan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Andrew S. Rosen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Short Days, good work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home options in many departments (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest downside of Kaplan is that they do not have a good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Finally, the part time benefits are not good (in 19 reviews)

1. "Best In Class For Profit Education Company"

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great values. One of the only for-profit education companies that truly cares about the students and the products over the profit.

Cons

Constantly changing the structure and what I consider core strategic vision was very frustrating and challenging to deal with. It seemed there was a constant shuffling of regions, product lines, geographic locations into different operating segments. This not only made it confusing to the workers but made comparable financials next to impossible.

Advice to Management

Agree on a main structure that makes sense for the business and get all executives in agreement to enforce how the company is going to be organized.

2. "Kaplan Student Advisor"

Former Employee - Kaplan Student Advisor in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Kaplan Student Advisor in Newark, NJ

I worked at Kaplan (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great to work with individuals who want to help the students to the best of their ability. It was always about the students and how to make their study life become easier.

Cons

It would have been best if more people understood what the students were going through and how difficult it is. Very few individuals did not understand the impact the USMLE has on a sudent. I went through it so I knew,

Advice to Management

clearly have educational training to employees without an idea or understanding of what the students needs are and how difficult it is.

3. "Executive Director"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Company, Excellent Vision, Freedom to Self Develop new ideas, Ability to Feel accomplished and apart of something special

Cons

Conference room bookings, Need more lunch selection in Kafe,

4. "LSAT Teacher"

I have been working at Kaplan part-time

Pros

Not micro-managed, great pay, excellent job to hold while a student

Cons

Can be difficult when you don't meet with managers face to face

Advice to Management

Incorporate more time for managers to check in with teachers

5. "Teacher Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Kaplan part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job gives you Flexible hours/ schedules . I love it.

Cons

I don't have any

6. "student concierge"

I worked at Kaplan full-time

Pros

Peers were great! Everyone was really nice; gave out free food/snacks/coffee.

Cons

Lots and lots and lots of work! Understaffed; and a lot of hoop jumping to get something done.

7. "Good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good leadership for my immediate manager, campus president tried to get to know the students, all departments worked well together

Cons

Long hours,and a lot of Saturdays. A lot of change with very little notice or no notice at all. Unrealistic budgets

8. "Student Loan Counselor"

I have been working at Kaplan full-time

Pros

pay is alright, benefits good

Cons

horrible management always pitting employees against one another, way too much competition for a position with no pay incentive, unreasonable performance matrix when only your end of month goal is all that counts (many many variables can keep you from obtaining goal), although I constantly maintain my goal percentage each month it is stressful. People in my department who have been there years have recently been fired because of a couple bad goal months, people have had to take stress leave on FML due to the stressful and unrealistic work environment. I truly don't believe that HR or top Executive understand just how this department is run. It is very near employee harassment. Also, long work hours like 9 1/2 per day with 1/2 hour lunch. We have a pretty decent cafeteria with full breakfast and lunch menu. The cafeteria closes from 10:30-11:30 to prepare for lunch. Our department manager is such a control freak and ungrateful of our work that he refuses to alter our morning break a half hour, so when we take our break we can't even access the cafeteria. He sites it is because of peak times. No it isn't. He will take us off the phones at any time he feels like it to berate us. But if there is a reward involved, like eating, we get punished. It's cruel and unreasonable.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop using negative re-enforcements as a motivation tool. You could get the same result with positive (all-team) motivation. I truly believe that good leadership can provide this.

9. "A clear vision with integrity from the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The current CEO, Andy Rosen, continually focuses on the things that matter: the student experience, research and development around "connecting" ideas in learners' head, and never getting too wound up in the specifics of a particular political or economic moment.

Cons

I found the benefits package to be far less desirable than at other similarly-sized firms. Many startups are offering better health care.

Advice to Management

Sr. Management's direction is usually very inspired, but the day-to-day can sometimes lose that message. Make sure mid-level managers are connecting the daily mission to the top mission.

10. "Overall, a Good Part Time Job"

I worked at Kaplan part-time

Pros

I was a part time SAT instructor

-High quality curriculum provided
    -Lots of support from faculty manager, mentor, and veteran teachers
    -Good pay (started at $20/hr)
    -Opportunities to move up within the company
    -Free test prep class!
    -Flexible times
    -They will pay you more if your travel is excessive

Cons

-Hard to get a raise
    -Evaluated on teacher excellence rate only. Students rate teachers either poor, fair, good, or excellent, but the only positive rating is excellent. A teacher with 10 good ratings will be rated the same as a teacher with 10 poor ratings.
    -You rarely see your co-workers in person (could be a pro or a con depending on preference), just on video chat.

Advice to Management

Organize more in person meet-ups for teachers to hang out, share tips, etc.