Kaplan Test Prep Reviews | Glassdoor

Kaplan Test Prep President & CEO John Polstein
John Polstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor management and general lack of direction; Low salaries with very little room for growth" (in 13 reviews)

• "Upper Management not consistent with the big picture of the company" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Instructor/Proctor"

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep part-time

Pros

Great flexibility and great work environment

Cons

Lengthy process to get up and running

2. "consultant"

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep full-time

Pros

remote
    friendly
    collaborative
    I have
    no more
    pros

Cons

travel
    I have
    no more
    cons to speak of

3. "this is a good company"

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they pay you for time you prepare

Cons

job can be difficult at times

4. "Relationship Manager"

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep full-time

Pros

Love working with schools and students.

Cons

Working remotely can be challenging in terms of making internal connections

5. "Student Concierge"

Former Employee - Student Concierge in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Student Concierge in Orlando, FL

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short shifts for PT; fun office environment (does not feel like a typical call center job); very helpful coworkers and supervisors; constant feedback from supervisors

Cons

Difficult to switch from PT to FT; dealing w/ parents can be very annoying; very strict break and clock in/clock out rules; long training process

6. "Kaplan Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Tutor in Houston, TX

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kaplan is a great employer for those who want flexible hours. It was a pleasure to watch my students improve their test scores. I was provided with the information I needed to become proficient as a tutor for numerous tests. For most of my time there, they offered a steady stream of students. They give merit-based pay raises. They also pay for out-of-class time (albeit at a lower rate than the tutoring rate). You get to tutor without having to handle the financial end of the business with the families. Throughout the years, I found my supervisors pleasant, supportive, and helpful.

Cons

Not having to handle the financial arrangements with the families means that someone else gets paid to handle that end of things; therefore, you as a tutor will get a lesser percentage of what the families pay for tutoring than you would if you tutored on your own. Once you reach a certain pay grade, the merit-based pay raises are not as frequent or as dramatic. There is now more of an emphasis on on-line tutoring than on in-person tutoring; I prefer meeting with students in person, as it's easier for me to establish a rapport. Although Kaplan used to offer academic tutoring, the focus is now exclusively on standardized tests. Also, there is increasing pressure for tutors to be proficient in both verbal and math; if your specialty is one but not the other, you may find this difficult. As a tutor, you are responsible for letting your supervisor know if you need to be paid a higher hourly tier rate, which is based on distance, for an assignment, so be sure to check the distance before accepting the assignment. Also, the clientele is limited by their ability to purchase the tutoring packages, so if you want to reach a wider variety of students, that may be an issue for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I was pleased with the quality of the Kaplan managers with whom I worked. When there was turnover, the transitions were generally smooth.

"Good Place for Part Time Teaching Work"

Current Employee - Pre-College Instructor/Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pre-College Instructor/Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep part-time (More than a year)

Pros

everything is laid out for you -- lesson plans, extra help, all the resources you need
    pay is ok. classroom instruction is $18/ hour, proctoring/ prep/ admin time is minimum wage, student support is $22/hr
    hands-off online management is convenient and easy to do training from home

Cons

it's pretty labor-intensive. you have to prep lessons for big classes of students, and you can't get a lot of hours quickly/ conveniently like you can with brick and mortar tutoring places.
    also, while the pay was nice when i was starting as a college freshman, i think it's really low now considering that PRIVATE tutoring at other places easily gets you $50/hr and the amazingly BIG classes we're taking on.
    while the hands-off management is convenient, it's also quite isolating. there's no central body meeting really, you just go to your classes and sometimes you see other kaplan teachers, but usually not. they really trust you to know how to teach a class with minimum face-to-face training to make sure they verify what kind of person you are.

Advice to Management

the classes cost a LOT per student - more of that money should be making its way to the teachers/tutors. especially in NYC with the minimum wage having been raised. over $20/hr for teaching and tutoring.

make sure individuals are well and properly trained and are who they say they are before sending them into a classroom. i know you guys often have a dearth of instructors and that's why you hire so much, but be careful what teachers you're putting out there to represent your name. i am concerned about the kids in this political climate with all sorts of crazies running around.

8. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep full-time

Pros

Positive work/home balance
    Posibility of advancement

Cons

nothing negative to say at this time

9. "Overall Good Company"

I worked at Kaplan Test Prep full-time

Pros

Salaries were in line with expectations. The department I worked with was very supportive. There are clear set goals and expectations.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. If you do your job well expect to be asked to do the job of others who are not.

Advice to Management

Work with weaker employees to improve their performance, do not expect others to essentially "cover" for them. Open up opportunities for advancement.

10. "So so"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Kaplan Test Prep full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Snacks in the cafeteria, flexible work arrangement

Cons

Engineering is a mess led by only a few in technology who hold the keys to everything, progress on their terms, generally not collaborative with rest of the org

Advice to Management

Get away from that culture