KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Menards Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2022

Found 4,733 of over 4,851 reviews

3.5
Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.
1,977 Ratings

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "It has good pay and most of the time you get the days off you request.(in 498 reviews)
  • "The people on my level are great and fun to work with.(in 271 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours and easy to learn(in 207 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and an easy enough job(in 158 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedules and ok discount(in 116 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management and some of the customers will catch an attitude with you every now and then.They expect you to do in(in 336 reviews)
  • "bad managers can ruin experience(in 231 reviews)
  • "one of the worst offenders of stacking more work on workers that complete tasks with no benefit to work hard(in 128 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management.(in 77 reviews)
  • "There is no training what so ever and they make it seem like you should know everything.(in 58 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Menards and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

good bosses

May 9, 2022 - Menards Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours and bosses are normally understanding

Cons

boring at times, very boring

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

No path to wage increase

Jun 15, 2022 - Outdoor Yard Worker in Alexandria, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

work outside help customers load vehicles Starting wage was $20, slightly more than fast food ($18). ($16 base +$2 for covid +$1 for outside pay +$1 for forklift operation.) Overall the job is decent for young strong people who need something in the short term. You can learn how a yard operates and get experience on a forklift. You'll get a small workout everyday moving building supplies.

Cons

work outside I inquired about joining management immediately after joining the company but was told my wages would be lowered if I took a management position. Apparently there was bonus' and profit sharing but i was not informed about them until after i put in my 2 week notice. Management culture is not friendly, purely profit driven but I suppose thats to be expected at a place this large. GMs are trained to make money, not friends. Was not trained on forklift usage, they just told me to put a stack of boards 25 ft in the air (on another stack) to test me. This wasn't a problem for me as I am mechanically inclined but could be problematic for others. Was nearly killed by a semi truck driver doing about 30 mph in the yard, I had to quickly move my forklift out of the way or I would not be here typing this toady. The other guy that nearly got hit was not concerned. Between the bad semi drivers, the lack of wage growth potential and the cold weather I quit in search of higher wages and a safer work environment. You will be expected to work overtime irregularly as the workload demands.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome Summer Job

Jun 13, 2022 - Sales Associate Flooring in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

This job in terms of enjoyment is highly dependent on how good your managers are. Throughout my experience, every manager I ran into was always extremely helpful and easy to work with. Pros (if you have a good manager again) are a flexible and easy-to-change schedule, good pay (I was at $15 an hour) and good lunch breaks.

Cons

One major downside, especially in my flooring section, was that the job was very physical. Moving 75 boxes of vinyl flooring per day is not uncommon at all and eventually, the back starts to take a toll. And this goes for any retail type job, but some days when it is very quiet and you've swept the floors, cleaned up the desk and organized everything, and there's nothing else left to do, the days can get a bit long and boring if you don't have any customers to assist. The only reason my employment term was so short was that I left for college, nothing to do with the company :)

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great entry level job with lots of role diversity

Jun 14, 2022 - Computer Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

A variety of responsibilities available Decent Pay Profit Sharing Extensive Training that can be applied to personal home maintenance Ample promotion opportunity 10% product discount

Cons

Strict attendance policy Uncoordinated team from size of staff No sick leave Rigid shift requirements for anyone not part time Long hours standing on concrete

5. 3.0

Inconsistency

Jun 26, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in Muskegon, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paycheck & working with people

Cons

High cost insurance, sdpraratic hours .. push teamwork but goals only reached if looking out for yourself and not your team. So, be nice and help your teammates so they can stab you in the back and grab your bonus.

6. 4.0

Good job, okay management

Apr 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed making a personal impact on guests and providing exceptional service. There was always something to do as a cashier, and returns were always nice to take walks and put things back on the shelf. I felt very fulfilled in my position.

Cons

My Front End manager was low-key racist. She told me to not speak Spanish because I was white (although I also have Puerto Rican family so my color is irrelevant here) and that the Hispanic customers would come up to her and assume because she was also white, that she must also speak Spanish and that we should "encourage them to speak English because this is America." Obviously the racism isn't towards me, but towards our non-white Spanish-speaking guests. There was also another situation where a Native coworker wore a mask with Native markings/pride on it and was told to change it because it was "too political" while others where able to wear American flags, and other "political" symbols with her logic. I'm lucky enough to have had a doctor's note to leave during the pandemic to avoid conflict, and I haven't gone back since.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fast paced but little to no work life balance

Apr 19, 2022 - Department Manager in Mount Prospect, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Menards is an excellent place to work if you’re single and want to make a decent living. However, if you have loved ones at home, your relationship with them will suffer. You’re anticipatedto work long hours and and at least 2 weekends a month. You’ll also most likely close 2-4 nights a week, meaning you won’t be home until 11pm or later. You will work a minimum of 42 hours a week and sometimes upwards of 60. Expect to miss holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries. But like I said if you have no one at home and don’t mind working a lot you can make good money. Easy to promote from within.

Cons

Menards does not offer good benefits, not even matching a 401k. They do offer a yearly cash bonus, though. I recommend this as an excellent first job to someone first starting to establish their finances. However, Management positions at Menards do a very poor job at maintaining a work-life balance. It's not uncommon to have to close one night and open the next morning.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0

Lots of Front Manager Turnover

Jun 10, 2022 - Head Cashier in Normal, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

co-workers, pay, customer service experience, kept busy/never bored, the managers who did stay

Cons

there was a lot of manager turnover so I was constantly having to get used to new management styles, also a lot of employee turnver so traing new employees happened frequently

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Jun 27, 2022 - General Merchanise Stocker in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly coworkers and bonus pay on weekends

Cons

early hours but that was just part of my role

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Work hard,

Jun 18, 2022 - Management in Eau Claire, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Room for advancement if you show good work ethics, decent pay. A lot of over time opportunities, $3 extra on weekends, Profit sharing, bonuses for those who work overtime when busy. Not hard to get time off if not abusing it.

Cons

Some upper management need to retire to let departments grow, ideas shared not acknowledged by upper management. Management positions work long hours. Attitudes of upper management trickle down.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 4,733 Reviews

Menards Reviews FAQs

Menards has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 4,851 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Menards to a friend and 57% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Menards employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Menards. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

65% of Menards employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Menards 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Menards to be career development, coworkers, compensation and the cons to be workplace, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with Menards Job Seekers