Model N Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zack Rinat

Pros
  • Collaborative culture with good work/life balance and core values (in 24 reviews)

• Work from home is a nice option that helps to maintain balance between professional and personal life (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Limited career growth options in QA track (in 8 reviews)

1. "My Thoughts"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, with a successful vision.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement, and limited training opportunities.

"Mixed place to be, but strongly dependent on your manager."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

What I found is that who your manager is will influence so much to it. Some of the managers were pretty good and thus would make it a great experience for you. Others did not have a good manager, making it a horrible experience. I had a very good manager that I got along with and she cared for my growth and opportunities. But this was not always the case for others and thus made it a more challenging time for them.

Because my manager made it a good experience, I’m giving a 4 rating. Otherwise I would have given it a 3. Having said that, for others, the general advice is that you can’t join a company based on your manager because you don’t know when they’re going to leave. In my case it worked out as we worked together for a few years and made a good impact together.

In Product Development, we generally had a pretty good process and a way of working. It was a good balance between working in a modern SDLC and knowing we had to deliver products to the enterprise.

There are some pretty strong people that had a good background which help steer the business and engineering on the right track.

Cons

There needs to be more investment with people managers so they are truly people managers. There were many managers who did not seem ready to be managers.

Often times the business was promising functionality to customers by a certain date before we did a true vetting and ensuring we can meet it. This put unnecessary pressure on timelines and you know what happens there in software.

Product direction was also unclear. It often went back and forth on which direction we were going and where we were going to invest our next eng dollars in.

Also there was a lot of tech debt to deal with in our products. This made moving fast a bit challenging for engineering.

Advice to Management

I know the company needs to be tight on the budget and for the right reasons. But invest appropriately to ensure employees feel like they are taken care of.

Have formal training for managers, especially new managers so they can learn about the company values and put it into practice. In addition, so they can learn how to grow employees.

For the core values, list your company first on the list, instead of last on the list. I realize the rational that employees and the company should be over your self. However that does not sit well with most employees.

"A Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

There are some highly talented individuals who care about their customers and the success of the company. The original products were good and well received in the marketplace.

Cons

The Captain of the Ship (CEO) was fired. There is lots of turn-over in management that leads to chaos. Policies and procedures change overnight without informing the worker bees. The product quality is terrible and is very buggy. The work environment is very stressful and we work long hours will little recognition.

Advice to Management

Create a long lasting vision for the company, minimize the number of product platforms, create a working Salesforce strategy, and establish a quality environment in which good people can succeed.

5. "Model N is a great company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Model N compensation is on par with the industry standard
    2. There is a flexibility in the work hours, so it will be helpful if we have some personal commitments.
    3. Benefits are great.

Cons

The job requires more travel, since the product has to be implemented at the client place.

Advice to Management

You have a very good leadership quality. It would be great if we get more customers

6. "Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Very intelligent co workers and company employees

Cons

Easy to get burned out due to high work load, never enough qualified resources or training.

7. "Model N review"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Model N (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good coworkers who are super intelligent
    -Work is always interesting and challenging

Cons

-Travel 80%
    -Work vs. life balance suffers

8. "Too much politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Model N full-time

Pros

Some good, helpful, and very smart people

Cons

Too much politics and backstabbing

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Soquel, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Soquel, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Revvy Platform has promise.

Cons

Professional Services is a HOT mess
    No VP Marketing for 12 or more months
    Lack of effective marketing is obvious
    Management team in place is a BIG question
    Business Development team is missing!

Advice to Management

Hire a VP Marketing
    Invest in Marketing
    Invest in quality channel implementation partners
    Hire seasoned professional services folks

10. "Decent company to establish consulting skills and build business dev expertise"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Model N full-time

Pros

- Great Opportunities
    - Stock plan
    - Diversified product portfolio
     - overall good culture of sharing knowledge and best practices

Cons

No cons to share really at this point of time ! I am just filling up the 20 word limit

"Great company in 2014-2015, still growing"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was part of the Business Development Marketing Team. The team was comprised of world-class professionals from events to demand gen to product marketing to business development to programs. The bulk of the team I belonged to is no longer there. The team put on the best Rainmaker yearly conference in the history of the company, with the highest attendance from Model N customers worldwide. We also had a number of significant opportunities as a direct result of the show and I was able to meet some of the key decision-makers and influencers to retaining Model N. It was a really enjoyable time.

C level team and special Industry veterans (R/A) and some very smart new hires made it a pleasure to be at work.

Free buffet lunch on Fridays provided just enough reminder that the company cares about you. There were other perks also, depending on the role.

Cons

Limited markets for the products made it difficult for growth for the company. I've suggested expanding offerings into transportation, hospitality, retail, and supply chain markets. It's a bold idea but wasn't feasible then, perhaps will be. Just a Business Development Manager sourcing $3.5M opportunities.

Limited employee engagement and development programs.

Locations of the company appeared disjointed and not unified; locations did their own thing however with the approval of top management.

At times, depending on your group you could never tell if you had job security.

AC was cold enough to require a coat.

Advice to Management

Provide a more democratic and meritocratic environment with reward based on accomplishments of the person in that particular role; expand into new markets, recognize everyone in the organization from ground level and up.