Model N Reviews | Glassdoor

Model N CEO Jason Blessing
Jason Blessing
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance, good working from home attitude" (in 33 reviews)

• "Good work and nice work environment" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work environment for some departments is okay but overall it is not a company that has a good work life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "Limited career growth options in QA track" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Small company environment with Big company mindset"

Current Employee - Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Coworker interactions are always friendly, I would consider the environment very laid back. Most of the employees have been working with the company for a while, which brings knowledge and experience. Projects are very challenging and keep employees interested.

Cons

Heavy workload. Benefits could be better

2. "Good small company"

Former Employee - Architect in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Architect in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, good working from home attitude. Smart interesting people

Cons

Lack of global product vision, communications across teams could be better. Organizational structure is flat, not much growth opportunities.

3. "Good growth opportunity"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of long-time employees who know the history and ropes. A lot of technical challenges. Some pretty smart people.

Cons

The product isn't very exciting. The management team come off like a club. Stock options are going any where,

Advice to Management

Encourage more technical growth in professional services and development.

"Model N; N for NO DIRECTION"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, unlimited PTO, good group of people trying to make things works.

Cons

Product and Company Culture
    Poor approach when it comes to customer management. Extremely reactive; Model N's mantra is we will wait for customer complaints, and if they complain too much Model N will award them a BS award at their annual 'Rainmaker' to pacify. Customers are not first, but neither are employees, baffles me to this day what exactly are they doing at Mode N.

Go to Market strategy: the way Model N brings products to market is deceitful, it’s a half-baked product at best and the approach again is we will make the customer pay for features that should be standard as custom enhancements. Sales and Solutions team does an extremely good job of misleading customers. “Enterprise grade” products that cannot handle enterprise level data! Most projects get stuck at this stage of implementation.

Model N, has no real competition in the market, buying out their main competitor should allow them to increase margin and revenue, yet they have failed to do so.

They continue to have layoffs which never make the news because the layoffs conveniently are below the threshold that the SEC requires to be made public. Layoffs have been going on for quite some time, another telltale sign of what is happening behind the scenes.

Leadership (Lack of)
    As far as management, most managers are glorified baby sitters at best, every two weeks you have 1:1 call which goes nowhere, in my 5+ years at Model N I never felt like this helped in fact it was an annoyance and took time away from doing more productive things during the day. They are not empowered to do much, they require permission to make any decision of any significance. The VP’s seem to be an old boys club and the new CEO seems like he’s part of the same crew.

Female Leadership: The current VP of Marketing and other two women were back to back VP’s of HR one was fired and the other quit, so HR has no leadership at the helm although even if anyone was in that role it would a waste.

Career
    Career advancement is a great joke, annual pay raises are about 1% if you are lucky, 401k match is sub-par, bonuses are ok and RSU are a nice carrot if the stock price ever went above $20 and stayed at that price. All the while the internal propaganda is that Model N is on par with the rest of the Silicon Valley companies.

There is no career path, and your annual reviews are a complete waste of time. Managers will use your annual review to tell you well you didn’t meet all your goals and we don’t have any advancements for this year again!

Wait, it gets better! Training, well there isn’t any training. Any internal demos conducted by product management is recorded via WebEx. This recorded WebEx is now part of training and now you have been trained on a product that is no bearing on your day to day activities or your role.

Complete lack and care of individual growth. How can we cut corners is Model N’s mantra!

An absolute disappointment of my career, even while I was at Model N I generally steered my friends and colleagues away from this company. The future doesn't bode well but am hopeful for the hard working people.

Advice to Management

You didn't heed to anything I had to say while I was an employee, absolutely sure you won't do anything now that I'm not an employee.

Model N Response

Nov 8, 2018 – President & CEO

I joined as our new CEO in May 2018 and spent my first 3+ months learning about Model N’s business and our strengths and opportunities thru listening to our employees, customers and investors. After... More

"Product Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, vacation, culture

Cons

Compensation, benefits, career opportunities, learning opportunities

"Thought Leader for the growing Life Sciences and Technology Industries"

Current Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Customer-focused organization, serving wonderful markets
    - Thoughtful, hard-working leadership team, dedicated to customer and employee success
    - Team-oriented culture, limited-to-no internal politics
    - Personal growth opportunities in a growing business, for those who prove themselves

Cons

- Challenging work to serve 25 of the top 25 pharmaceutical companies, most of the medical technology sector, the top semiconductor companies, and technical OEM market
    - Must be comfortable collaborating on a global basis, across time zones and geographies

Advice to Management

- Please continue your customer focus, driven by our Founder Zack Rinat and the entire Executive team's passion for customer success

"Vice President Marketing"

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revitas had a strong product management and sales team
    Investment in cloud technology and Agile moved the company forward

Cons

Lack of direction
    Unresponsive to employee issues

8. "Amazing Team and Great Culture"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respectful environment is the best culture within Model N
    The team don't point fingers at anyone which is rare to see in this industry
    Work life don't always balance but you do have control with your schedule
    Upper management try not to overload people with work

Cons

Need more projects to place people on
    It's hard for new hire to stand out in current promotion structure

9. "Salary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Highly competitive and very comparable to top rated companies

Cons

High variable within the organization and no clear role structure across the organization and not all the qualification criteria taken into consideration as part of the promotion, other words no structured approach.

Advice to Management

Follow a standard and structured pattern for promotion.

10. "My Thoughts"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Model N full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, with a successful vision.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement, and limited training opportunities.