MongoDB Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria

Pros
  • Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here (in 12 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The usual "problems of prosperity" when a company is growing this quickly (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is promoted here, it can just be tough to pull it off at times (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Reaching another level and beyond"

Pros

MongoDB definitely has built a very specific culture and it has permeated all areas of the organisation. Everyone here feels as though they are part of the bigger mission regardless of department and it shows in how they treat one another and the excitement in each office.

NoSQL solutions have matured a lot in the past 2 years and now can compete/replace a lot of legacy systems/use cases. MongoDB leads this pack.

Training is the best I've ever seen and they also invest a lot into each employee to be successful.

If you are interviewing think hard if the culture is a good fit for you personally. Double if you are in sales or are customer facing in some facet.

Cons

Company is growing at an incredible rate, there is a bit of chaos associated with it. A lot is expected.

Advice to Management

Keep up the internal communication and transparency - the best companies I've ever worked for do this.

"Surrounded by smart & successful people"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was one of my favorite jobs! Great comp and benefits plan. They take really good care of their employees and go above and beyond to make sure you have the resources you need to succeed, especially in the sales dep't. Very little red tape (i.e. expense reports) and a trust that you will "run your business" with integrity.
    They put a lot of effort into hiring smart people with very diverse backgrounds, which I think is the key to MongoDB success. I was always learning in my sales role, constantly improving both my technical acumen and sales approach.
    Awesome sales & marketing lead gen teams that are constantly running campaigns to help fill your pipeline. Great benefits, unlimited vacation time, no 401k match. You will get fat from all the free food they supply you with.

Cons

Typical fast growth, tech startup concerns-- Constant change, inconsistent messaging. High turnover rate due to changing needs of sales org (letting unnecessary managers go) and due to very high expectations from individual contributors. Very intense monthly/quarterly business reviews with sales management and VP's (not for everyone). Be prepared because they WILL grill you on EVERY opportunity in your pipeline.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and hire people that can ramp quick and who can get along as a team player with the rest of us.

3. "NoSQL DB Leader"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Phenomenal Sales Team: Best in the industry sales team.
    - Investment in new hires: The amount of training to new hires is fantastic.
    - Culture: MongoDB did an excellent job of making every employee feel like part of the mission of making this company successful.
    - Market leadership: There are a lot of NoSQL DBs out there, but MongoDB is the clear leader, and it is positioning itself as the NoSQL standard in most large enterprises.

Cons

- Growth rate causes some chaos at times
    - There is a lot to do, prioritization can be challenging

Advice to Management

Keep up with the innovation, transparency, and continue to hire great people.

"Sound Management Makes the Difference"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have not encountered a better-managed company in more decades than most of you have been out of diapers. Almost very time I find something crazy, it turns out there is already a schedule to fix it. When there isn't, I find a ready ear, and encouragement to action. Everywhere something is expected to happen more than once, time is taken to evaluate to how it can be handled better next time, and it is. The roadmap for development goes out years, and is driven by the entire technical staff. Every development project connects to roadmap goals. There's plenty of turnover, but I have not seen anybody leave in disgust.

A yoga instructor comes in twice a week at 5. All technical work can be done from anywhere on the internet. Employees are expected to act like adults, and are treated like adults. There are frequent seminars by authors of important work, and reading groups for important papers. Software development practices are modern, including continuous integration, git, code review, stand-ups. New C++ code is C++14 plus Boost. Equipment is modern. Solaris is a third-class platform. The intern program is well-run and serious.

Cons

Lunch is only catered in on Tuesdays and Fridays. Like everywhere else, way too much of the code is awful, although unlike most other places, serious time is devoted to making it better. Employees are issued Macbooks, by default, and IT officially supports only Macs, which stinks if you detest Apple; although they do try their best, cheerfully, for the rest. Developers seem to mostly run Ubuntu on the desktop, which is icky, but nobody forces it; I have seen Fedora, Debian, even BSD and Windows. There are no offices; rooms with a door are parceled out by the hour. Bathroom stalls at the New York office are becoming oversubscribed. Much of the support code is in Go. They frequently hire CS instead of engineering graduates, who then need to be taught to be engineers.

Insurance is Cigna. Almost everything that can be outsourced is, so you will spend the first week making accounts on outside web sites for everything from paycheck deposits to the org chart. Development mostly goes on only at the New York office; remote development spots are unlikely, although there are sales support and customer engineering openings all over the world. Although the software is Free on github (with tests), it's nobody's job to look at pull requests. Stock option offerings are nothing to retire on. Free snacks include the usual, plus cheese, hummus, and yogurt, but not organic.

"Working at MongoDB"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work at MongoDB is both challenging and extremely enjoyable.

Cons

There is always something to do (not a bad thing), but because of the growth of the business time management and priority become important skills.

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time at MongoDB. If you ever feel as though time management and prioritizing become an issue, please do not hesitate to reach out to your manager or HR ... More

"Fast-paced, balanced culture"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

This company is heavily devoted to uncovering, gaining, & retaining top talent in the industry to propel it's fast-paced expansion goals! The fact that they have been able to maintain such a fun, tight-knit "start-up culture" through the massive growth is amazing. The executive team is inspiring, agile, and personable... but even aside from the top level, it is an overall extremely friendly and intelligent team of individuals.

Cons

If you don't do well with rapid change, this would not be the place for you. The NYC HQ office location is also not totally ideal in Times Square.

Advice to Management

Continue to devote time and energy into maintaining the familial culture you've created here at MongoDB as we continue to grow and evolve - in my opinion, it's what makes us stand apart from the crowd in this industry!

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks so much for your review! It's great to know our dedication to building an unparalleled team across the globe is not going unnoticed. We truly believe our people are our biggest asset, and we ... More

"Balance, Flexibility, and Fun!"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by intelligent, kind, and hardworking individuals (no matter what team), great benefits, competitive compensation, flexibility in schedule and working arrangements, and unlimited PTO! Lot's of excitement and passion throughout the office.

Cons

The company is continuing to grow quickly and has high expectations for it's employees. If you want to be challenged and have fun this is a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be better.

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

This is great to hear. It is so rewarding when our employees speak with such respect and regard for each other. We will always strive to be better in all that we do, especially when it comes to our ... More

"Hyper Growth Company"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Solid product and market fit. Lots of room for growth and upward mobility. Fair market salary. The industry is ready to be disrupted!

Cons

When moving quickly, sometimes things can get broken/lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

Feb 22, 2017 – Social Recruiting and Employer Brand Specialist

We really appreciate your review and your confidence in MongoDB. This is a really exciting time for us as an organization! We've come a long way and as we propel forward we are always making ... More

"Terrible work life balance. Toxic management."

Pros

Good product. Free laptops. Office snacks

Cons

No work life balance
    HR team that is not very friendly or approachable
    Toxic upper management

Advice to Management

Free food is not enough to keep good workers. Stop firing people people who's good for company culture while promoting the toxic ones.

11. "Work life balance and great manager"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

I work here as a mid level employee in the business side. Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here.

Cons

compared to other tech companies, the variety of snacks is limited