MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Cloud Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MongoDB (Sydney (Australia)) in November 2017.

Interview

It was a Phone interview for 1 hour long with the head of cloud Support team. Maximum questions related to technical behavioral. How I provide Customer support, handle Critical situation in my previous job, priotize issues and tasks

Interview Questions

• linux scp command, how to read 100-150 lines, how to list all .log files in a directory   Answer Question

Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter who had found me on LinkedIn. Phone screening, then invited for on-site interview. Six interviews in a row on a single day. I was impressed by the high standard they were looking for, this was way beyond what I expected from a small startup. They made it clear I was exactly who they were looking for, and wouldn't let me leave the building without making an offer.

Interview Questions

• Complex exercise in system design, where each reasonable answer unlocked a further level of complexity. Exciting discussion.   Answer Question

Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews followed by 3.5 hour long series of Skype and in person interviews (4 in all).

The process was quite pleasant and the office had a very informal feel to it.

And of course, you should be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week which includes travel time (flying out of town 50-60 % of the time).

Overall, they have a a very good team and I think it would be an enjoyable place to work at.

Interview Questions

• Data Modeling (University, Course and students problem), SQL, Simple implementation of Linked List, Multi Phase Transaction implementation using a State Transition Diagram, DB concepts like ACID, System Architecture problem involving millions of users and tracking their activity and finally, troubleshooting a slow DB.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Met at a career fair. One week later had an initial phone screen with HR and then one week later a technical phone interview with an engineer. The initial phone screen consisted of standard behavioral questions (What are you interested in, why do you want this job, etc.). The technical interview was also just standard resume questions followed by some algorithmic questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The phone screen was very basic and high-level, didn't go into too much detail. The on-site interview was very technical and well paced. It was a little bit of behavioral and then some whiteboarding coding exercise which is always a challenge. One of the more frustrating bits is that the whiteboarding was required to be written in a language that I explicitly said I was not very familiar with.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Interviews were scheduled over one day. Process was really enjoyable. I was asked a couple of interesting coding questions to see how I think but the majority of the interview time focused on my experiences as CTO, why I was interested in working at 10gen, and what I wanted to do at the company.

Interview Questions

• When an interviewer disagreed about a technical choice that I had made for a website I was asked to defend my opinion and argue my point of view.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I applied online, and received an email either one or two weeks later with an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just asked about projects I did and what skills I had. Nothing technical. She asked whether or not I was familiar with MongoDB and NoSQL.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by MongoDB recruiter after submitting resume through their website. I was set up with an initial call (HR Screen) and then phone interview with two engineers about a week after that. The phone interview had a coding component on a collaborative editing website. I was notified of rejection by a very nice voicemail message from the recruiter. Will apply again next year.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Phone screening:

interviewer asks questions about resume. She seemed to only say yes to any of my descriptions, neither agreeing nor discussing why. I asked for feedback on my interview to no avail. Hopefully, they can start doing a better job on interviewing. I heard they ask brain teasers which can be quite a turnoff for many interviewees

Interview Questions

• She didn't ask any technical questions. Only behavioral questions. Seems they want someone familiar with their product and who can hit the ground running.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who then set up a phone interview. Interview was about 30 minutes long and they mostly go over your resume and ask you a few basic questions pertaining to the company. If you pass they then set up a technical interview and then an onsite interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

First round is a behavioral screen by the recruiter. Second round is a technical phone screen. Third round is on site. One of my on-site interviewers was the CTO, which was cool. The questions were on the easy side compared to Google, Facebook, etc.

Here's where it gets weird: I asked some of my interviewers a standard question about work-life balance. After my last interview, the recruiter confronted me about those questions point blank. Which means that:

a. They documented the questions I asked my interviewers.
    b. They consider questions about work-life balance a red flag.

That's a red flag about Mongo, if you ask me. I ended up accepting an offer from a larger company with better salary and work-life balance.