MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

30 min phone screening followed by a 45 min technical interview scheduled a few weeks later. Asked 3 technical questions that built on top of each other. The interviewer was not helpful when asking for clarification questions and even dropped the call half way through when interrupted. Very unprofessional interview.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I applied online, a recruiter contacted me for an initial phone interview. We just went through my resume for about 15 minutes and then we talked for about 30 minutes about any questions I had about the internship program. Then I had a 45 minute technical interview. There seemed to be some organization issues on their end, as initially they told the interviewer 2pm when it was actually at 3pm, and they had scheduled two different interviewers for me and they both tried to call me, but they sorted it out. Asked some basic data structures questions on the difference between Linked Lists and Arrays.

Interview Questions

• Given two strings in binary, write a function that returns another binary string representing their sum.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MongoDB (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with the new york area recruiter, very brief discussion of basic interview questions such as strengths and weaknesses, and general questions about the company. This was followed by a technical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Got my first interview by going to the career fair and talking to the recruiters. Had a behavioral interview on my university's campus the next day, which was really informal and asked me basic questions like why are you interested in working for MongoDB, talk about your resume..etc. Had a phone technical the next week with a guy who did not seem interested in interviewing at all. He asked me to write a program to find all pairs, then all triples, and then any sublist of length n.
    They invited me to interview at their office the next week, which consisted of three interviews, two of which were technical and the other was just talking about my resume. The first interview was honestly a joke; I answered the question in 10 minutes and the guy didn't know what to do next, so he asked a bunch of random problems he find online. Something was very off about this guy and he clearly was not prepared to interview anyone. The second interview involved two guys asking me a lot of questions about my resume. One of the guys was apparently shadowing the other to learn how to interview, and was very awkward and didn't ask any questions. The third interview involved a slightly more challenging coding question, but nothing crazy. Throughout all these interviews, people kept barging into the interview room because they apparently "overbooked" the room with a bunch of meetings, which was fairly distracting. They told me they would get back to me by the end of the week, but over two weeks go by without hearing anything from them. I emailed them asking for an update, and they replied back with a rejection email an hour later. Honestly surprised considering I got all of the technical questions right, maybe I wasn't a right fit for the company. Overall, the interview process was very unorganized and unprofessional and I would recommend applying to other places. The people there are pretty nice, but also awkward and don't really know how to interact.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that returns true if an array contains two integers that sum up to a target number.   1 Answer

UI Developer Recent Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through Glassdoor for a UI Developer Recent Grad position. The recruiter contact me about three weeks later saying they wanted to interview me. It was mostly a behavioral interview asking me about my experience and the projects I did.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter ask about my resume and the projects I had work for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Interview process pretty straightforward, First had a behavioral interview with some basic questions about me. (Mainly just to weed out candidates who are obviously not fit)Followed by a 45 minute technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Question was straight out of leetcode combination sum: combination sum ii.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial call with Hiring Manager, call with potential colleague (peer), final round onsite with 4 different people lasting 3 hours total. During the onsite, each person asked a case study around their job to understand how I'd collaborate with them. There was nothing generic about this interview, no "why us?" or "tell me about a time....."

Entire process was smooth and moved fairly quickly. Everyone I encountered during the process was engaging and genuinely liked the company.

Interview Questions

• Drew a mock sales chart and asked how I'd interpret it.   Answer Question
    • Described a data situation that caused a report to show incorrect data and asked how I'd go about investigating it.   Answer Question

Senior Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

For me, it started with pursuit by one of their recruiters. They were persistent and professional (at the start), which I respect, so I gave them a shot. The process slowly degraded from there. I had a phone interview with the recruiter. Then a face to face with the recruiter and the sales manager, followed by another phone interview with the sales director. After those discussions, I was being told I was "a perfect fit". For me, there were a few red flags on the topics of professional autonomy and culture, plus they all seemed to be there and everywhere else for <2 years (a company with 60% yoy growth for 5+ years?) I believe it multiple impressions and don't believe in contempt prior to investigation. So, when they asked me to come back in for some face to face "conversations", I agreed. I met the director in person, their VP of sales and their CRO in succession. The process lasted about three hours. The first two gentlemen engaged me in a conversation as a sales professional on the same level. I enjoyed speaking with them both. They were prepared and asked challenging and fair questions. However, the CRO, let's just say I wasn't a big fan. He seemed rushed, distracted (kept looking out of the conference room window) and not there to qualify but rather to disqualify. It was not a real conversation by any stretch. The beginning was superficial and once I asked him what questions he had for me, he literally hit me with about ~15 questions in a row without any pause. It's one way to go but again, it felt like a disqualification exam and a bit much for the first time we were scheduled to "talk". Once I was done, the hiring manager came in and said he would get back to me with feedback from all three of them. That took about a week (another red flag) and the feedback from the CRO was negative (shocker). Despite my instinct, I agreed to appeal to the CRO based at the hiring managers request and to see where the offer was compared to others I had. I put together a short presentation with some background examples to rebut the CRO's two concerns (yes, only two concerns out of seven rounds of interviewing questions) and addressed him directly. He did not even courtesy reply but the hiring manager indicated he would speak to the CRO and get back to me. That took another week and when I finally caught up with the hiring manager, he indicated he had not spoken to the CRO but they were "going another direction". It worked out because I would not have agreed to any further steps without an offer and even if the offer was the best I had seen, I likely would have turned it down.

Interview Questions

• Describe the org. chart of your biggest prospect.   1 Answer
    • What net new logos have you closed 100% on your own while with "X" company?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

I applied through university career fair. I had a phone screen with the recruiter. The interview was structured and the recruiter was very nice. It lasted about 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume. What is your favorite programming language and why? Why MongoDB?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

behavioral interview which lasted for about 1 hour. then technical phone screen which lasted 1 hour. then onsite interview which lasted around 3 hours. There were 3 interviewers onsite. Each was very friendly and spent around an hour on different questions.