MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MongoDB Interview Questions

Interviews at MongoDB

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

The interview process constituted a series of video calls (4 calls in total) with various members of the Customer Success team and the recruiter, concluding with an on-site challenge interview

Interview Questions

• I cannot recall exactly how the call was phrased, but I was asked a question on moving from my previous job, in which I managed a small number of clients, to this job where I would manage 10x more clients. While the question was tricky, it was a good moment for me to consider the challenges with moving to a new model of client management and evaluate whether I would be happy and successful in that type of model.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

- A recruiter reached out to me with a highly professional email
    - We had a short phone screening
    - I had 2 interviews, first the director over my team, then with another leader on the team
    - Moved on to a "virtual onsite interview" where I had 30 minutes with each of the team members at my level
    - Final interview with the hiring manager
    - Then a final call with the recruiter when she extended my verbal offer and discussed comp/benefits
    Overall very professional process that gave me a lot of comfort that I'd be joining a great team.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a variety of situational questions that I believe were part of a template that all interviewees are graded against.   1 Answer

Associate Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter after applying for the position via Glassdoor. Had a 30 minute phone conversation then was moved to speak to the Hiring manager a few days later. This was probably the worst interview I had ever gone through. Was asked several questions about my background then was told to give a few things I considered myself to be 'comfortable' with and then was told to present it as if I was teaching a customer. This, to me, didn't feel like a conversation but more like an interrogation on things that had nothing to do with the job. Definitely didn't feel like it'd be a good fit from the start.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you type in google.com in a web browser?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer. What was the issue and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • Give me some things you consider yourself to be comfortable with. Choose one and Explain it to me like I know nothing about it.   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Interview processed was fairly quick. Two phone screens and then an onsite. I was told via email they weren't moving forward with me. Didn't even have the decency to call me especially since I went through the whole interview process. After reading the reviews about lack of diversity and seeing who they hired in the role, I'm wondering if they didn't hire me because they didn't want to add any more diverse employees to their company.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Positive energy, However, there was a lack of structure.
    I had an intro call with the recruiter with a scheduled interview with the hiring manager, who upfront told me this is not an interview but an intro call.

The interviewing manager did not even ask about my experience or past work history or any technical questions.

The job description itself was very misleading labeling it as a system engineer when the company is looking for more of a compliance/security engineer.

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Overall this interview process is ridiculous. It is lengthy for no reason. If you are interviewing with multiple companies MongoDB will be the last to get back to you and actually offer you a job.

Deal Desk Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in May 2020.

Interview

Introductory phone call with corporate recruiter. The corporate recruiter was extremely professional, informative and helpful. Explained that the process takes about few weeks and there may be about 4 to 5 interviews/meetings. Personally, I think the process is way too long. No potential employee should have to spend this much time to get a job.
    Zoom video call with 2 of the Deal Desk team members. My first video call with the black male interviewer was very pleasant and informative. The second video call with a female Sr. Manager was another story. She appeared unprofessional in my opinion.

- After asking "Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?", she smirked at someone in the room while I answered, presumably her husband who had strolled by earlier in the meeting (these are covid times), throwing me off. It's hard to focus when you can't quite tell if your interviewer is actually listening or potentially mocking you.
    - Though she was informative about the position, she did not seem open to understanding that there are other companies out there that function differently than where she is; she kept a perpetually confused look on her face when she wasn't smirking at someone off camera.
    - She also seemed to be on some kind of power trip, referencing her qualifications and experience and reassuring me that "Mongo only hires top talent, A+ plus only. No C+, no B+ but only A+."
    -I have met a lot of people in my professional career and only few have been as off-putting as this person. I absolutely understand that women often have to work harder to prove themselves in the professional world but she seemed to have a boulder-sized chip on her shoulder, setting up an adversarial style interview where she had to check everything that could be potentially inaccurate and make a whole point out of it (i.e. at one point I referenced people in our age range and she had to clarify that I was assuming her age by including her in my statement, when it seemed obvious we are within a similar 10 year range, give or take a few years, given her husband and their child being on-screen at times. I am in my early 30's and don't think this is in any way insulting but this person appeared ready to feel slighted at every turn). Super unpleasant person I am happy not to work with, so be aware that it might be helpful to take a very short, to-the-point approach with no small-talk, detailed responses or pleasantries.

Interview Questions

• Why MongoDB?
      Where do yourself in in 1-2 years and 3-5 years?
      Other questions were technical and job related.   Answer Question

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barnwell, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Barnwell, SC) in May 2020.

Interview

I interviewed with a total of seven (7) people during the process, each in a one-on-one Zoom meeting of 45 minutes to an hour in length. In order to expedite the hiring process, four (4) of these interviews were held in the same afternoon, with a 30-minute break provided between the second and third interviews. Each individual that I spoke with held a different position and brought different expertise and experience to the conversation to evaluate my knowledge, mindset, and approach to the work performed by Technical Services Engineers. Everyone was professional, courteous, approachable, and listened to my point of view while not being afraid to pose challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with an upset customer.   1 Answer

Sales Development Representative (SDR) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in May 2020.

Interview

I had multiple interviews with HR, my hiring manager and then a group challenge call. It was the most intensive, different process I have ever been apart of, and I went to US Marine Corps boot camp! The process solidified my belief that MongoDB is doing something very special than anyone else.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of you taking feedback from your manager?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB in April 2020.

Interview

A couple rounds of screens and 1 to 1s with CSM leadership and then a panel interview where you role play a MongoDB Atlas onboarding call. May be challenging for those not coming from a CSM and/or SaaS background but you're given plenty of time resources to prepare a deck from a template Mongo provides.

Everyone at Mongo throughout the entire process was extremely kind, responsive, and helpful.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB.

Interview

Overall, I had a very enjoyable interview process. This process is composed of a HR screening call, meetings with members of the CSM team, and an onsite challenge interview. Everyone involved in the interview cycle is very friendly and goes out of their way to keep you in the loop and ensure that you have what you need. The challenge interview accesses both your behavioral and technical skills, so this requires some preparation time prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• A mix of behavioral and technical questions assessing your CSM background and knowledge of MongoDB.   Answer Question