MongoDB Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MongoDB Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.1

Developer Interview

Interview

Bozo event horizon. Hiring people who couldn't make it anywhere else. Recruiters use recruitment as marketing stunts to attract people to *use* and *buy* support, not get a paycheck working remotely *for* mongo. They're big into hiring subpar candidates to spite skill and talent. The recruiters don't respond, outright lie and miss arrangements. Don't bother, time wasters.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with databases   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The recruiters were knowledgeable and involved in candidate experience. The first two rounds were phone interviews. The final round was a series of four onsite interviews. The six interviewers were engineers across four different teams. The interviews were typically structured. The interviewer first asks about background/resume, then asks a technical question, and finally accept any questions from the candidate. Coding is done on a shared editor or whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Half of my interviewers asked me to search a graph (given as a matrix).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Behavioral Interview - who you are, why you want to intern there, etc. It was a standard interview that didn't have any trick questions - either you clicked with the culture and interviewer or you didn't. I don't know much about the later processes though.

Director - West Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Got calls from a number of outside recruiters. Then interviewed with the west senior leadership. Had some good interviews. Wasn't comfortable that they were hitting their numbers and didn't have a great explanation as to why. They had a tough time explaining why the role has been opened for such a long time and why the last manager left. Also, what really irritated me was that they ended up calling someone at my current company to ask about me without me knowing. I declined next steps.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you manage your team?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was pretty shocked at how unprofessional the process was. It was pretty average up until the final interview, which was a case study, essentially. During my final presentation, there were distractions outside of the room that caught the attention of my interviewers. I shrugged this off and continued. I feel that the sales team believes they are on par with companies like Google, but this is obviously not the case.

Additionally, MongoDB sales doesn't seem to understand that one does not need to dedicate an entire career to sales in order to be an effective salesperson - many great salespeople start off at sales and use these skills to transfer into other departments.

No word back after I prepared for hours for the final interview. I even called and left a voicemail, but nothing. This is seriously unprofessional - it's extremely disrespectful to expect so much time out of a candidate to prepare for a final interview, only to leave them in the dark afterwards. This is only hurting the perception of the company, as treatment like this leaves a sour taste in an applicant's mouth. Word spreads quickly.

Technical Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who submitted my resume to the HR department. In my process I had 2 phone interviews followed by an on site interview. Both phone interviews were 30 minutes. The onsite interview was 4 hours.

The interview process covers a lot of things. OS concepts, hardware, Linux, networking, disk configurations, high availability and databases. This is a database company, but your resume or database skills will not give you the job.

Interview Questions

• The first thing that you have to understand is that MongoDB is trying to find the "best of the best". Therefore the interview goes into disqualification mode. Another interesting thing is that even when this is a "database" product, that doesn't mean that they are looking for people with database skills, my impression is that they would take anyone with strong Linux and storage background. In addition, every interview is different and as matter of fact they track every single question into their system and hence they know exactly what they have asked and what needs to be asked in the next interview.

Questions in my first phone interview:

- What is an index?
      - What are the benefits/downsides of an index?
      - What is a compound index?
      - How to resolve the Intersection of the list? In a database world, this is the equivalent of a join. The easy answer would be a nested loop.
      - Questions about raids. (Rad 1, Raid 5, Raid 10).
      - Other types of db questions like What is a correlated query?

Second phone interview:

- What is a virtual function?
      - What is a template?
      - How do you implement virtual functions in C?
      - Scenario Question: I have deployed a new application and it has performance issues, how do I troubleshoot it?
      - Scenario Question: What happens when you submit a query to the database? (query parsing process)

First onsite interview.

- The interview was a web meeting and it was 2 person panel. In this interview both guys are asking questions at the same time.
      - Scenario questions: We have 2 systems, everything is the same, one system is performing fine and the other is executing queries slower, how do you approach this problem?
      - How do you change kernel parameters?
      - Can you explain in detail how swap space work?
      - What happen if you have an application of 8 GB and you only have 4GB of physical memory?
      - Provide an example of one of the most complex issues you have resolved.

Second onsite interview:

- What information is need in order to configure the network settings in a computer?
      - What is TCP?
      - What is UDP?
      - Provide examples of applications using UDP / TCP
      - Questions about network services like DHCP, DNS.
      - Utilities to monitor performance in Linux.
      - Explain RAIDs.
      - If you have RAID 5, how much space can be actually used? Does it change if you add more disks?
      - What utilities do you use to monitor performance of the operating system?
      - Scenario question: How do you troubleshoot a connection issue between an application and a database server?

Third onsite interview:

This guy only asked one question:

"Can you design a system to store a PB of information?"

You have to put attention to the following components:

- What type of HW are you going to use?
      - How are you going to store the actual data?
      - Details about cluster configuration, what if the heartbeat fails but it is a false positive?
      - Do you replicate the information? how? and how long would it take if one node fails?
      - Be ready to do quick calculations. For instance, if you said you have an internal network of 1 Gbit per second, how long would it take to transfer 1 TB?
      - The solution has to be designed in a way that it can grown in a horizontal way.

Tips:
      - You have to convince the interviewer that you want to work for Mongodb because you really like the technology and not just because it is a nice company.
      - The interviewer also expects some type of level of knowledge about MongoDB and how it is been used by the customers.
      - Your answer has to be complete, give as much detail as possible.
      - You have to know what you are responding. For instance, if you said "You can use vmstat to monitor cpu, memory and swap space", a follow-up question would be "Can you tell me what information vmstat is giving you about the swap space? is it in pages, blocks or MB?
      - Google known issues with MongoDB and Linux. They can be used as example in your answers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard phone interview. Recruiter will contact you to set up a time to talk over the phone. Very friendly, but asked me to clarify my graduation date four times. Got back within the week, I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to quit your current job to work at MongoDB   Answer Question

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MongoDB (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a MongoDB recruiter. Spoke to them about the position. Sounded interesting. Phone interview with Director. No big deal. Technical phone interview. This is where I should have realized that this company is in trouble. The technical interview consisted of the MongoDB employee telling me how great he was for 30 minutes. The next 30 minutes were about nothing. Interviewed onsite - Nothing big. Interviewed again and performed a dog and pony show for them. Very easy to snow these guys. I should have known at this point that the company is having serious problems. After a little research they want to do an IPO in 2018. They don't have the management (at all levels) in place. Don't work for this place. They offered me a ton of money, but it wouldn't be worth it.

Interview Questions

• 1st phone - general talk about the company. 2nd phone - MongoDB employee spent half the time talking about how great he was. I asked him simple questions and he didn't know the answers. This gave me an indicator of the quality of staff. 3rd - Onsite with 3-4 staff. Not a big deal. The staff is very uneducated so it was easy to talk over their heads. 4th - Onsite - Presentation of a dog and pony show. They tried to ask questions like they were god like because they worked for MongoDB.   Answer Question

MongoDB Response

May 17, 2017 – MongoDB

Hi there. We're sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your interview. We realize not everyone is a natural born interviewer, which is why one of our priority initiatives is the continued... More

Corporate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MongoDB (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. Had a handful of phone interviews, then was invited to an onsite interview. Spent 3 hrs interviewing with 2 Sales directors and the VP of Corporate sales. I thought it went well. I was invited back for their "challenge" portion of the interview. Which is a 1 hr role play of a sales meeting. This takes a good amount of time to prepare and research for. I was told if you make it this far it is a 90% done deal you will get hired. They liked my challenge and gave some feed back, then asked if I could do another role play to see how I took their feed back.

This 2nd role play was canceled 5 mins after it should have started. I almost backed out at this point due to them being unprofessional and already canceling several calls last minute. The recruiter talked me into sticking it out. So I proceeded to do the 2nd role play interview with both Sales directors out of the Austin office. I was then told I did a great job and they would pass on their recommendation to hire me to the VP of Sales.

At this time I was given a verbal offer, walked through what my comp plan would be, as well as stock options, as well as other things. We talked about when I would be available to start.

I was then contacted and told I needed to have a call with the CRO (Chief Revenue Officer). After him canceling our meeting 3 times, I finally was able to have a brief 25 min conversation with him. Very high level about my background. Where I grew up, went to school, career path to this point, etc.

2 Days later I received a call from the sales director informing me they would not be hiring me. This comes after almost a 2 month process, a total of 4 hours of in person interviewing, Countless phone calls, many of which were canceled last minute and rescheduled.

I currently have a job, and put in a ton of time and even took time off of work to pursue this, because I was told countless times how much they liked me and wanted me on the team. Only to be told I wasn't the right fit after being drug through their VERY unprofessional process.

Ended up being an epic waste of time and left a very bad taste in my mouth as to the professionalism of this organization.

Interview Questions

• They do a fairly in depth role play where you select a company and have to conduct a sales meeting/pitch of the Mongo product.   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MongoDB (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter within a few days. Great recruiter and very responsive. Even though she was on Eastern Time, she was still available to answer any questions or concerns at the end of the day Pacific Time.

Most of the interviews were phone or video as the team is spread out across the US. Interview process was straight forward:
    -Phone screening with recruiter
    -Video interview with the hiring manager
    -Video interview with the marketing operations team
    -Video interview with Director of Demand Generation
    -In person interview with the CMO

Received and accepted an offer a few days after speaking to the CMO.

Interview Questions

• What piece marketing technology do you love and which do you hate?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job to work at MongoDB?   Answer Question