Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's (in 9 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Decent place to begin"

Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actively making a difference to people's lives
    Good Swing-Shift Crew
    Opportunities to grow if sought after.
    Good entry job into the field

Cons

Inter-Department Politics lead to a lot of waste.
    Low pay to the amount of stress.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees. Maybe increase pay for Lab Techs to match current competitive rates.

2. "Working here isn't terrible, but it isn't outstanding either"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are great to work with. Most supervisors will bend over backwards to assist and accommodate your needs.

Cons

Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's. Then blame lower management such as supervisors for their own faulty ideas. HR also seems to be a lot less approachable.

Advice to Management

Sending out generic accolade emails are cheap. Why not get out to see the people who make Myriad great than request them to "meet and greet" you?

"Passive Aggressive Management"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've always wanted to work for a company that can help save lives, and I think Myriad is that kind of company. Most people are committed to doing good. I'll miss my co-workers.

Cons

My manager had a passive-aggressive leadership style that left me wondering if I was going to be promoted or demoted, regardless of my work. I would get physically sick thinking about going into work every morning.

When I skip-leveled my concern, I was told not to talk to about it with others or report it to HR. He "suggested" I look for a new job, and that it didn't matter that I never missed a day of work, got along great with others and had a positive year-end review.

Advice to Management

Software developers may be less important than the lab techs, but that doesn't' mean we should work under bad management and be afraid to come into work.

"Patient Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the insurance coverage which you will receive the same at any other company at Research Park.

Cons

There is no respect given to any employee that does not have a science degree above BA

Advice to Management

Quit weeding out your best and longstanding employees. If I could rate this review less than one star (the review requires a rating) then it would be -5

5. "Patient Coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for to make a difference in the world. They really try to create a happy work-life balance.

Cons

It can get difficult to keep up with the incoming samples.

6. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent starter wages, friendly work environment. Many shifts are very nice, 3-12 hour shifts or 4-10 hour shifts are fairly common in lab jobs.

Cons

Virtually impossible to advance past a certain point in either wage or job. Most jobs are extremely monotonous and routine. Essentially as a lab tech you will babysit one robot or another and that's it's. Nothing is challenging, stimulating, or different. Advancement is extremely stagnant, and work moral is often very low. Few incentives to work hard.

7. "I've enjoyed my time here"

Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are above average. Health insurance plan is great. I only pay $90/mo out of pocket for my family. HSA contribution is great. The company is constantly looking for new perks and benefits for its employees. It is a low stress work environment. Great coworkers. CEO and management are impressive. The company is it for the long haul and has a good outlook. Very respectful in regards to work/life balance.

Cons

High turnover in tech positions. Lower turnover in higher positions which can make advancement tough. Parking is becoming more and more difficult.

Advice to Management

Stop in the labs and say hello every once in a while.

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for providing this review. We are glad to hear you are enjoying our benefits. We do try to offer benefits that will be meaningful to all of our employees. We are a growing organization... More

8. "Good work life balance with decent pay."

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad labs have a relaxed atmosphere. It is nice to work with intelligent and interesting people. 3 12.5 hour shifts per week and 4 days off is an amazing schedule. There is usually overtime available, but it isn't ever expected of you. Also, plenty of PTO and paid holidays. The health insurance rates just increased, but it is still the best around and it is great coverage!

Cons

The work leaves much to be desired- it's not very stimulating. Not much room for growth. Communication and relations between shifts needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Find ways to open communication and quell the finger pointing between shifts. Increases wages and/or bonuses!

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your recent review. Myriad encourages every employee to have work-life balance as we believe this encourages a fresh approach to your work. We have a strong wellness program and a... More

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Technician II Nightshift in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II Nightshift in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits for insurance for not too expensive. Brand new gym and break rooms. Amazing supervisors in some labs and plenty of PTO given

Cons

The base pay is too low so there are many nightshirt workers that cannot afford a pay cut to move to Dayshift

"Undervalued unless you're in the right department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Myriad offers good health benefits, an onsite gym, healthy food options, and tuition reimbursement for their employees. decent pay as well.

Cons

Very little value unless you're higher up in management, or a more "valuable" department. very little value to the employees shown through ability to move up in the company, get raises, promotions, etc. after 3 years of work, there has been very little opportunity for advancement. Management is under trained, and often expects their employees to pick up the slack for jobs they aren't paid for.