Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Patient Coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for to make a difference in the world. They really try to create a happy work-life balance.

Cons

It can get difficult to keep up with the incoming samples.

"Patient Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Service Trainer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the insurance coverage which you will receive the same at any other company at Research Park.

Cons

There is no respect given to any employee that does not have a science degree above BA

Advice to Management

Quit weeding out your best and longstanding employees. If I could rate this review less than one star (the review requires a rating) then it would be -5

3. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent starter wages, friendly work environment. Many shifts are very nice, 3-12 hour shifts or 4-10 hour shifts are fairly common in lab jobs.

Cons

Virtually impossible to advance past a certain point in either wage or job. Most jobs are extremely monotonous and routine. Essentially as a lab tech you will babysit one robot or another and that's it's. Nothing is challenging, stimulating, or different. Advancement is extremely stagnant, and work moral is often very low. Few incentives to work hard.

5. "I've enjoyed my time here"

Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are above average. Health insurance plan is great. I only pay $90/mo out of pocket for my family. HSA contribution is great. The company is constantly looking for new perks and benefits for its employees. It is a low stress work environment. Great coworkers. CEO and management are impressive. The company is it for the long haul and has a good outlook. Very respectful in regards to work/life balance.

Cons

High turnover in tech positions. Lower turnover in higher positions which can make advancement tough. Parking is becoming more and more difficult.

Advice to Management

Stop in the labs and say hello every once in a while.

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for providing this review. We are glad to hear you are enjoying our benefits. We do try to offer benefits that will be meaningful to all of our employees. We are a growing organization ... More

6. "Good work life balance with decent pay."

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Myriad labs have a relaxed atmosphere. It is nice to work with intelligent and interesting people. 3 12.5 hour shifts per week and 4 days off is an amazing schedule. There is usually overtime available, but it isn't ever expected of you. Also, plenty of PTO and paid holidays. The health insurance rates just increased, but it is still the best around and it is great coverage!

Cons

The work leaves much to be desired- it's not very stimulating. Not much room for growth. Communication and relations between shifts needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Find ways to open communication and quell the finger pointing between shifts. Increases wages and/or bonuses!

Myriad Genetics Response

Jan 17, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your recent review. Myriad encourages every employee to have work-life balance as we believe this encourages a fresh approach to your work. We have a strong wellness program and a ... More

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Technician II Nightshift in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician II Nightshift in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits for insurance for not too expensive. Brand new gym and break rooms. Amazing supervisors in some labs and plenty of PTO given

Cons

The base pay is too low so there are many nightshirt workers that cannot afford a pay cut to move to Dayshift

"Undervalued unless you're in the right department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Myriad offers good health benefits, an onsite gym, healthy food options, and tuition reimbursement for their employees. decent pay as well.

Cons

Very little value unless you're higher up in management, or a more "valuable" department. very little value to the employees shown through ability to move up in the company, get raises, promotions, etc. after 3 years of work, there has been very little opportunity for advancement. Management is under trained, and often expects their employees to pick up the slack for jobs they aren't paid for.

"They continually reduce bonuses and strip benefits."

Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Patient Advocate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The wages were pretty fair, last time I checked. They have the occasional company treat or lunch, but it isn't something frequent by any means.

Cons

Where to start? The Customer Service department is a disaster. Some of their hardest working employees get treated horribly. Nothing is ever good enough, we are constantly critiqued. Supervisors are selected arbitrarily and without experience, abuse their power, and play favorites. The company is very strict about policy until it serves them to not be (I.e. Working through lunch is forbidden, until they need you to work overtime. Then it's fine.) Our bonuses and benefits have gone down every year. Parking on campus is an absolute nightmare, but they refuse to allow telecommuting. Reps who fudge their work but have high numbers are praised - those who are thorough and detail-oriented are chastised for being "slow". No ice machines or free time to exercise. Constantly cracking the whip. Two 15 minute breaks arent enough for people sitting for 8 hours.

Advice to Management

Care about your CS employees. Cut down micro-management and criticism. Make your employees feel valued again. You can't take and take and take and expect us to want to help out when we all fall behind.

"Good place to get your start, but then leave if you are a woman!"

Former Employee - Other in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Other in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of the company keeps people there even when their compensation should drive them out of the company. That speaks a lot about the mission. Workers believe in the life saving mission of the company, and in the quality of the work being done.

Great benefits.

Cons

It is unclear whether or not upper management believes in the mission of the company as much as the regular every day worker. I know at the end of the day it is all business, but it is disheartening when leadership clearly have the almighty dollar in mind, and all the lower level employees are trying to figure out how to best serve the patient in spite of upper management.

Upper management does not reflect the demographics of the rest of the company. Too few women are in upper management.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO and REWARD your LOWER LEVEL EMPLOYEES ! Your lower level employees have a lot of meaningful opinions and ideas and know what is going on with the customer base and with operations more than upper management in most cases. Get down in the trenches. Don't trust the filtered assessments given only in the board room.

And what is up with the boys club in upper management?! For a company mostly built on women's health, why such paltry representation of women in upper management? The few women there are in upper management seem to be tasked to do the majority of the company's internal dirty work. Clearly those few women in leadership are being forced to toe the line so as to be accepted by the male execs. I imagine those women have worked too hard to jeopardize their positions by pushing back too hard. Heck, it took them 20+ years to get to their higher level positions when it took most of the men half that time. I highly recommend to management that they bring in an external management consultant group to assess the apparent misogyny in upper management and promotion pathways.

11. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician III in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a lot of PTO.
    I get paid well for the amount of work I have to do, but most of the time I don't do a lot of work.

Cons

See pros.
    No one seems to care about us even though the lab makes the rest of the company function.
    The company grew quickly and there was a lot of internal hiring of unqualified people. Out of the managers that I know, very few do an acceptable job.
    A lot of good employees come and go, and some bad ones seem to stick around.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with the people at the bottom. You really need better middle management. Motivate good employees to stay with the company.