Myriad Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Myriad Genetics President/CEO Mark C. Capone
Mark C. Capone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems take take credit for ideas that wasn't there's (in 11 reviews)

• I didn't feel there was a very good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Clinical data specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing team, the job is very patient focused, and really requires a lot of problem solving skills. Overall a really good place to work.

Cons

It's really difficult to move up in this role, it's all pretty much based on seniority and that's unfortunate. It can be a difficult job to do and is very intense at times, but having such an amazing team to fall back on makes it easier.

"Supervisor"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Fantastic employees dedicated to providing the best care and testing for all patients!

Cons

Some groups are understaffed and workload is only increasing.

3. "In decline"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

At the forefront of the industry

Cons

Executive team not fully transparent
    Diversifying into areas with little to no reimbursement
    Organization undergoing extensive cost-cutting

4. "Meh Myriad"

Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and Supervisors are all great

Cons

Upper management doesn't really seem to care about moral, CEO has spread the company too thin and has started taking away the amazing perks that made Myriad worth working for. It went from a Career to a Job

Advice to Management

Watch the moral in every department. We know the customers matter but managements job is to make sure the employees matter and Myriad doesn't do that very well.

5. "Good and Bad"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Good People, Fun and regular company activities, great benefits

Cons

Pay could be better, difficult to progress through ranks

6. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

Nice company, when you do well you are rewarded. Most times , they allow adults to adult

Cons

Lower base salary compared to pharma bonus are bigger in some cases. Company taking on too many priorities at once but they will work it out.

"Unaccountable, but easy work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job and my work at myriad. The science is good. Upper management seems OK. Many of the lower tier supervisers make a great effort with very little provided. It looks good on a resume. Labs and Process Engineering make a strong effort to standardize, improve and be consistent. In my opinion, compared to other companies, Myriad isn't as bad, isn't as corrupt (since losing their patent), and many employees have good morals.

Cons

I won't shy away from this, at the Salt Lake City location I easily saw promotions and hires preferentially to those with families and faith. As if having a family means you deserve higher pay or 'the fast track.'
    In 2017, the insurance premium doubled. Don't get me wrong, it's great insurance, but they increased the cost to employees because their profit was lower than projections.
    There is a lot of employee turnover.
    Unrealistic understanding of modern salaries and basic standard of living. Workload is always high, as they merge and cut departments to ensure they don't overstaff... But overtime is frowned upon, so improvement projects do not get done.
    It's pretty clear that recent negatives reviews have spurred management to encourage positive reviews from choice happy employees, and to selectively respond only to positive reviews.
    Rather then thinking forward and preventing problems, I saw management as reactionary, and like to "slam down" once a problem occurs, and find someone to blame. The company makes legal mistakes that cost them money. Managers are old, patriarchal, and not aware of new standards to motivate employees.
    The review process, which is only once a year, is completely subjective, determined, and based on employees setting their own goals and reaching them. Their goals are often hard to complete since it requires coordination, and interdepartmental communication is weak. This leads to low hanging fruit for goals. The direct supervisor is the only one with an influence on the ranking, 1-5. Sometimes, only a few 1's and 2's are allowed out per department or shift, and the best rankings often given by seniority or employees the supervisors know best. This biases against new hires, leaves everyone else to bad rankings, a decreased raise, and the inability to be promoted.
    In my time I saw several employees leave and be hired in HR, which always makes me nervous of monkey business, many things get dropped with no clear transition. Per policy, people are escorted off the premises when they are let go and it's very dramatic with lots of hushed speculation, even though its pretty mundane in reality.
    High turnover in entry level roles. The ones that leave are often very good, leaving behind unaccountable, untrained, and lazy employees.
    Could definitely promote and use the research department towards publishing and advancing science to a more significant degree, rather then focusing on the bottom line, investors and big businesses as usual.
    Lots of favoritism, combined with a huge lack of training for supervisors, and managers. I saw a huge cult of personality for the old CEO, and not a day goes by where people aren't conversing about poor stocks and their investments.
    I received little to no training at my role.
    In my 2 years there I saw zero sign of career development plans, this is new and unproven. You must work through your direct supervisor or 'manager,' needless to say, there is no standardization that is followed. The promotion tracks internally do not mean those promotions will be granted once requirements are met. You must seek and chase your own opportunities. My exceptional manager (one of several managers I had during my 2 years )was able to help me connect and shadow, but I only felt welcome in the medical services (customer service) department, elsewhere in the company there are many of those with weak people skills, and much peer to peer conflict. There is no control, metrics, or guidelines to how a manager decides to rank their employees. Sabotage occurs.
    I have an advanced degree and not once was my knowledge necessary, utilized or valued. This job did not further my ability in my field.
    I saw QC one time, and they weren't paying close attention.

Advice to Management

Invest in some real, outside audits, and some intense, modern training for ALL management, not your never ending circle of complementing each other on small successes and repeating what had worked in the past and ineffective, non competitive internal training. Halt your propagandas and politicking and clean out the trash in your company.
    Get LEED certification and recycle. Partner with local agencies to spread education and awareness, and be actively involved in community service. Your social media department and marketing needs to be active, reworked and promoting a positive public image, promoting the science, no one enjoys patient stories. Update your software. Upgrade and replace your broken computers. Force ergonomic changes in the labs, nothing is set up with the human form in mind, invest in some tables, and a computer lab for employees as a resource.

8. "Clinical Data Specialist"

I worked at Myriad Genetics full-time

Pros

This company is amazing; they value their employees and their customers. I thoroughly enjoyed working here.

Cons

I honestly did not have any negative experiences working here; they are a fantastic company.

9. "Mid Management"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been working here for several years. Mark Capone and the leadership are great. They really care about all of the employees. You feel like you're making a difference to a patient every day you come to work. Overall, I would recommend this place.

Cons

A lot of change going on right now. Communication is key.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

10. "Working for Myriad"

I have been working at Myriad Genetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A Great place to work.

Cons

Upward mobility is lacking or nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Career Advancement

Myriad Genetics Response

Aug 7, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your recent response! We are very interested in career advancement here at Myriad. We have developed a program just for you! If you are not aware of our CDP program, please contact... More