Stantec Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Stantec President and CEO Gord Johnston
Gord Johnston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My coworkers were friendly enough and the work life balance was good (in 32 reviews)

• Understanding employers,good benefits , there is room to learn new stuff (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • They preach work life balance but dont practice it (in 13 reviews)

• Too much middle to upper management with little value (in 24 reviews)

1. "Landscape Designer"

Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great collaborative place to work. Always room to grow or excel. Being part of a multidisciplinary team has allowed me to lead teams and engage fields I would never have been exposed to in other offices.

Cons

A bit large. Always trying to find your own identity in a corporate setting.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees wants and needs. Reward and recogognixw those who excel. Be sure to compensate accordingly, and be willing to hear negotiatiations.

2. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours.
    Good f work/life balance.

Cons

Big organization. Not much chance to move up.

3. "Only Counting Beans"

Former Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are talented individuals still there to work with & under.

Cons

Architectural firm where Design isn't first- Revenue is. Firm is run by accountants- they buy up companies to increase their revenue base. Design isnt what they think of

Advice to Management

Put people first, instead of just saying it. Your employees are important- treat them that way instead of looking at dollars first.Your benefit package & severance package need to be changed over. They are terrible

4. "Stantec Leadership"

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

The people that are employed by Stantec, the engineers, planners, and marketing staff are wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Lack of leadership and direction to create an effective strategy of practice building is extremely lacking.

Advice to Management

The Stantec motto is "People First" - perhaps they should revisit their values.

"Great People, Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Transportation Planner in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Transportation Planner in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stantec has a lighthearted office culture with some amazing people. The employees interact with one another which is great for moral. They offer flexible schedules which provides for a solid work-life balance. There is opportunity for software training and field experience. Since they are a global engineering firm, you can work on projects in other states/countries remotely.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive compared to other top engineering firms. Management can sometimes be out of touch with their lower level employees. Since Stantec is growing so rapidly, decisions may sometimes favor investors rather than employees.

6. "Predatory Management"

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of things happening, growing company, great people work here.

Cons

Not a healthy management culture. People are treated like dollar signs, no strong company culture or positive management practices. Everything is billable hours. Senior Management will target new hires for fresh ideas.

Advice to Management

Really put people first. Create a culture of positive career development to keep good workers interested in staying with the team.

7. "Great People Bad Practices"

I have been working at Stantec full-time

Pros

Amazing staff! Some people were passionate and still are but not for this company.

Cons

Talent and dedicated people but we are mistreated or abused by management. Many people leave or are fired before they can take action. I've wanted to work in this space my whole life but I can't take it anymore. Constant negativity and brow beating by management who are only focused on the numbers. Constant flow of new acquisitions creates a hostile and competitive environment. People are sick of the work/life balance and compensation.

"Disorganized Company without a Focus"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in Environmental Services for a little more than five years. There are lots of great, creative people working at Stantec. The benefits are good and the company will cover opposite and same-sex domestic partners. If you an an early career employee, there are lots of opportunities to learn and work in different part s of the company.

Cons

The company grows mostly by acquisition so it is really a holding company with lots of smaller companies inside. These elements don't always work well together and sometimes they outright compete. Management is organizationally challenged and doesn't seem to know how the place actually functions let alone have a vision for where it is going.

Advice to Management

Slow down the acquisitions, get a handle on the chaos and organize your staff into functional groups rather than the business center model which is breeding a cutthroat and counter-productive culture.

"No Sense of Purpose"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. My coworkers were friendly enough and the work life balance was good

Cons

No one was passionate about the work they were doing and just was doing the job for the pay and job security. Management was inefficient and the company just seemed to want to please investors over employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, they have a lot of good ideas that somehow don't make it up the corporate ladder.

"A Great Place to Start"

Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office culture is lighthearted and a great balance between hard work and fun. Everyone I have worked with is hardworking and you learn a lot from every project you work on. The office also does fun social events, which really helps you get to know your coworkers. Starting salaries could be better, but you are paid overtime and raises are generous.

Cons

Stantec is a large corporation and focuses heavily on acquiring new firms. They also value profit above all else, which can get in the way with their motto of putting people first. For example, we used to get an extra paid week off for the holidays in addition to two weeks of vacation, but now we are only paid for the holidays themselves and have to either use vacation time or leave without pay for the rest of that week.

Advice to Management

Stick to the company's motto of putting people first. Profit and being competitive in the market is important, but not at the expense of work/life balance.