Stantec Reviews | Glassdoor

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Certain projects require a surrender of work-life balance; poor estimation of project resources (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management not in the same office as their teams, have no idea of what is actually going on in the local marketplaces - huge disconnect (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great Group Of People"

Current Employee - Bim Manager in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Bim Manager in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Stantec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has to be some of the most amazing people I have ever met. Their hard work and devotion is incredible. Every person here is completely understanding and does astonishing work. Absolutely love working here.

Cons

Typical Corporate Issues.
    Not a great medical coverage

Advice to Management

Never Stop Pushing The Envelope and recognize a person's work. Do not forget to reward those for their hard work instead of having them to ask...

"Too many hands in the pot"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Stantec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are offices everywhere so many people have the option to relocate. When your company gets acquired, they let you keep your same salary, and there's good benefits and 401k match.

Cons

You go from a small firm of having high status to suddenly being the small step child. There are too many hands in the pot and everyone thinks the other person will take care of it. Theres a ton of miscommunication. Theres the fear of things changing dramatically from the great benefits you had at the small firm to now going by the rule book of Stantec. Lets see, I get blocked on the internet trying to access sites that I need to do my job all the time... that's fun. You lose a lot of the culture that you had when you were a small company, mostly because a ton of employees will jump ship quickly after being acquired.

Advice to Management

Take a break from buying companies and focus on those you already have.

"Not a Pleasant Experience to be Acquired by Stantec"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Stantec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are good Employees who are not upper management.

Cons

A complete disaster to be acquired by Stantec. You are considered fodder for Wall Street and the bottom line for management and stockholders.

Advice to Management

I see Bob Gomes is leaving at the end of 2017, so that is a great start. Does he care about anything but the next acquisition?

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top 10 Engineering and Construction company. If you want scale globally and your skills are what they need, there's opportunity.

Cons

This company is built through Mergers and Acquisitions so expect a fair amount of chaos as the acquire, slice and dice and re-purpose the assets they acquire. Expect a lot of uncertainty and uneasiness due to the fact that you've either been acquired, or there may be a company being acquired that changes the work dynamics. Additionally, there long-time CEO just announced his retirement, so expect a lot of uncertainty as the new leadership marches in.

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Excellent environment of cooperative works between seniors professional and young motivated juniors engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Operations at Canada & the USA which open opportunities for interactions with multiple projects, multiple disciplines, and new technologies. This is a company with an effective safety policy and culture.

Cons

On frequent cases, concerns for the project in progress or a potential project and service need to wait for final decisions in headquarter in Canada.

Advice to Management

The level of decisions and financial authority for locals centers leads in the USA should be increased a little bit to gain a better operational performance with human resources, new clients and project risks evaluations.

"Architect"

Former Employee - Architect in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Architect in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong safety culture and some dedicated professionals.

Cons

Same tired corporate approach to recognizing the individual through their CDPR yearly review process, which goes nowhere. Management is weak and inefficient. You never know what's going to happen next. Internal communication is just as weak as management and they are both linked together. If you are a professional, you do your best and plan for the worst, due to weak managers who just don't have the chops. Dreadful.

Advice to Management

A large company like Stantec should not have lapses in securing work that result in employee layoffs. Put the marketing teams to work and improve your hands on, in-the-trenches management, which is non-existent. Lots of heat but no light internally. Just a bunch of talk. You can't become one of the top ten design firms in the world just through acquisitions. Stantec is losing talent and will continue to lose Architects by not paying attention to staff and to the right metrics. By the way, many don't think you care anyway.

7. "Design Coordinator"

Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Design Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to work on various types of jobs

Cons

Navigating a 23,000 person firm can be a bit overwhelming

"Nothing special"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my coworkers. It was really relaxed and low stress. I barely saw my manager. Huge company with a lot of resources.

Cons

I barely saw my manager. There wasn't any room for growth. The company is so big and has so many disparate offices that I think it's easy for talent to get lost in the cracks.

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to make your company feel like a company and not just dozens of different fiefdoms that are doing their own thing.

"Terrible,no job security ,no severence,"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will give you a job in some new merger or acquistion.You will be bought in to fix Stantec problems then got rid of. They also furlough people to get out of paying severence.

Cons

They mislead staff and new hires and get rid of people once a problem is fixed.No loyalty..expensive benefits.No job security. They don't value staff in any department and many departments are low paid . The senior mangers who have bene there for a long long time like in RIhcmond VA, are just rude, non caring people who dont care baout staff. .Nicknamed " the "body shop" in the business.Health funds disappear,pay goes missing.HR ignores problem.Stantec is a Mergers and Acquisitions compnay wiht bad long time senor management. so expect a fair amount of chaos as the acquire, slice and dice and re-purpose the assets they acquire. They also furlough people to get out of paying severence.

Advice to Management

Pay my husband the severence due.You horrible people who have made life very very difficult.he did nothing but good work for you.Chuck in RIchmond you are appalling.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great resources, generous holidays, diversity is greatly promoted

Cons

still catching up with too many recent acquisitions

Advice to Management

None