BlackRock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BlackRock Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2018
1,318 Interview Reviews

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2018.

Interview

The hiring process was very thorough and allowed for a thoughtful decision. The recruiting team thought of me for several roles throughout the process. The entire process took about 4 months from start to finish. Although sometimes it was a little hard to get off work during an extended interview process, they working with me and were very flexible. After they make a decision they move quickly. The hiring team was consistent in their values throughout the process.

Contract Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I had three rounds, including a 45-minute phone interview with the HR associate in the SF office (I'm in NYC). I then met with about 6 people in person over the course of three hours in the NYC office, which included the manager of the group and the other associates within the group. Everyone was very nice and generally quite open about the work, the expectations, and the firm culture. I then came back for another interview, which, when I got there, I was surprised to see was a video conference with people int he SF and NJ offices. Again the interviews went for about three hours, and again, everyone was very nice, the questions were fair and no one asked me anything that was off-base or unexpected.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I'm a contractor so I interviewed with an agency and it took a while to get an interview at BlackRock. I was prepared and knew I did well. I read up on the company culture, projects, etc.

Interview Questions

• What do I know about the company and if I have any questions.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Contacted by BlackRock recruitor out of NY office. Interview was scheduled with two other paralegals about 2 weeks after initial contact. Scheduled for lunch-hour. Very disorganized and nerve-racking. Admitted at meeting this was first time reviewing resume.

Interview Questions

• Silence. The interview felt as if they were going through the motions, that it was not real, and there was never any genuine intention of consideration. Very frustrating.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlackRock (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview screening with HR is literally to see if you want to be submitted to the team. Once the team approves, they setup the in office interview. You have to meet with pretty much half the team at the very least as well as a few people from related teams. I interviewed with 12-13 people total for 20 mins each over a span of 3 days. They seem to ask the same questions and then at the end of the process they decide if you are going to be easy to work with yet know your stuff and get stuff done.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was short because they have a set salary for how many years experience for your title level. Was not able to get even a small increase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process went well. BlackRock interviews are different and less structured than other financial services companies. It made it easy to tell my story and control the direction of the interview. I would give myself an A rating for the interview. Unfortunately, when I heard back about a second round, BlackRock informed me that rather than not being selected for a second round, they were not looking to fill the position any more.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you worked very hard for something but were not able to achieve the goal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was referred to the job by a friend for a specific position. I was asked to interview with six people over the course of four hours. I was then asked to return for a series of follow-up interviews with another four employees for over two hours a week later. I was offered the job less than two weeks after the initial series of interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to evaluate how to I would introduce a new product to a new market and what processes or resources I would need in order to ensure a successful product launch. I was also asked why I was leaving a fairly lucrative and successful investment banking job to join a larger corporation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate a higher starting salary but was unsuccessful in getting more money. I accepted the initial offer presented.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BlackRock (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed for contracting for Java developer position a year back. People are cool, lot of Financial questions, normal Java developer may not get through it. As I am Financial savy person I could do it. .. In general interviews at Black Rock San Francisco are tough.
    I was selected and worked for 9 months, because of budget cuts could not renew or convert as FT. Now team called me back for FT position, since they know me, interview was easy sail. HR interview and processing is not so common as I expected. I have asked my expected salary, they came up with the package with same figure (but bonus and benefits included in that), which is very uncommon in IT industry. You usually ask for a salary and bonus on top of the salary. Offer was not that great, just median salary of San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not expected from top notch financial company. Benefits are also not par with financial industry, only 50 pc match of 401k and 3 years vesting time, and max of 5k limit of matching. Only good benefit is unlimited sick time, which disappeared in lot of companies already. Having 10 + years of programming experience, BlackRock offered only median salary of Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• There is no negotiation of salary in Black Rock, they will come up with an offer and either you accept it or reject it   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BlackRock in February 2011.

Interview

First interview was with HR recruiter, consisting of usual questions on career history, expectations, etc. Next step interview was with the direct reporting manager and one of the colleague with technical questions. Third interview was with mid-level management, discussing more on the high-level perspective, as well as introduction on the company's background. And final interview was with the HR recruiter again to wrap up with the package, starting date, etc.

Interview Questions

• So long as we have the technical expertise, all the technical questions should not be an issue. However, the question regarding the strategy might be tricky, as it is heavily related to the current situation of the firm or the team themselves.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at BlackRock in July 2013.

Interview

Multiple rounds
    Online test, followed by coding and design excercise
    A Panel/gorup interview
    2 1X1Interviews with VP
    1 1X1 discussion with onshore VP
    1 Interview with the director
    Discussion with HR

Interview process was a learning experience in itself. Had a good experience

Interview Questions

• About company strategy and how your goals align with it   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

contacted through email to set up a video interview after 5 days of online application
    interview had basic question about me and about the company
    not many technical questions
    however it was weird seeing your self being recorded