Books-A-Million Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.0

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita Falls, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Wichita Falls, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Came in for an interview, asked a lot of questions to get to know what kind of person you are, told me they would call to let me know whether I got the job or did not get the job

Interview Questions

• How would you define the word 'ownership'?   Answer Question
    • Would you feel comfortable selling membership cards?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a situation where you (had a difficult time/had a hard time with a fellow employee/had to accomplish a goal) and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Lakeland, FL).

Interview

You first must apply on line, Then come back in and do a face to face, Then they will of course want to see if you have customer service skills and up selling skills, This is a business they make alot of their extra money on the discount card and magazines, So they must have the strongest and most energetic working . Yes your hours may depend on it, But if you give all you have you would be surprised. You can make easy an extra 100 in your paycheck.
    They will ask you about books you have read and want to know what your 5 year plan is.
    I am no longer with them, I worked for them for over 4 years, they become your family and friends and that is you are blessed enough to work with great people like I did.

Interview Questions

• Sell this to me, It can be anything ! from a book to a pen to a toy.   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

I applied and then got called a couple days later. When I went to the interview we sat at one of the tables at the coffee place in store . It was sort of distracting with all the noise. Theh mostly want you to sell their membership cards and magazine subscriptions which will influence how many hours you get, so if you do poorly you'll get less hours and be fired after the 90 days.

Interview Questions

• How would you fit in working at bam? what past experiences do you have.   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairview Park, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Fairview Park, OH) in August 2017.

Interview

The person I set up the interview with, forgot about the interview and left the store. The manager on duty interviewed me. The manager seemed very interested in me and said he would pass along good word to the woman who was supposed to interview me.

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Murfreesboro, TN).

Interview

Very casual but thorough, talked a lot about the job and selling memberships and magazines. A lot of questions were based on my ability to upsell and make metrics, which I had experience with. They also wanted to make sure I was organized and could connect with customers.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Mobile, AL) in July 2017.

Interview

It was an open interview. The interviews either kept on getting canceled or were very unclear on the exact time of the interview. Then, Finally when the interview wasn't canceled I went in, did my very best, and I was still turned down. it was quite irritating.

Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Bradenton, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

There were open interviews and I had my initial interview with the GM and the second with the other managers. When I left, I pretty much knew whether or not I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What was something your previous workplace lacked?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

There are online questions that one has to answer as well as a few short essay style questions. The online process is not that time consuming and if you application stands out they ask for an in person meeting, otherwise your application stays in their system. You can also add store locations to be considered at.

Interview Questions

• If it is 5 mins before your shift ends, and a customer asks you a detailed question, what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meridian, MS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Meridian, MS) in May 2017.

Interview

It was an open interview. I signed a sign in sheet and then waited in the cafe for someone to call me back. She brought me to two chairs in the back corner of the store. It only took about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is something you have learned in the past 7 days?   Answer Question
    • Other than a love for books, why do you want to work at BAM?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (North Canton, OH) in May 2017.

Interview

Typical questions regarding availability. They also asked about your ability to sell discount cards and magazines. In addition I was asked a bit about knowledge of literature. Mostly they were interested in availability as they are a retail business you had to be available on weekends and holidays.