Books-A-Million Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Books-A-Million

1.9

Sort:

PHP Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Books-A-Million.

Interview

Over the phone with Corporate then face to face with team leader in Nashville, office was worse than a startup in a garage, I would be ashamed if this was the corporate IT department in my company...what an embarrassment

Interview Questions

• Technical Stuff   1 Answer
    • Questions were authored by another developer not available, so they were flying blind   1 Answer

Books-A-Million Response

Mar 10, 2015 – VP of HR

We are always interested in feedback from candidates who are interested in working with Books-A-Million. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Laredo, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was about 20 minutes long at most and was fairly easy to answer. If you’ve ever interviewed for a retail store before almost all the questions are similar.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were faced in a difficult situation and what you did to resolve it?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million in March 2016.

Interview

Sat down in the cafe and talked. Really laid back experience and felt more like a conversation than interview. Ran through the essentials of the store and the basics of what my duties would be.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable handling adult material?   Answer Question
    • Can you promote our discount cards and magazines for millionaires?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Tallahassee, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

A matter of luck. They hardly look at applications at all, I just got lucky that they needed someone at the time I walked in to ask about a job. All they really care about is whether or not you can sell rewards cards well. If you can convince them of that, then you have a good shot at getting hired.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you have to help a customer but don't know the answer to their question, or how to help them?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Anonymous Employee in Albany, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Albany, GA) in February 2012.

Interview

The first person I met with was the assistant manager. She was very friendly and was able to schedule me for an interview within a 2 week period. I was interviewed by the General Manager who was also very nice. He hired me on the spot, and the paperwork process was fairly simple.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind working very late hours?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This job starts minimum wage at entry-level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Daytona Beach, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

I called them first after I completed the application online. Then they called me a few days later for an interview. I was then interviewed by two managers and one of them was an assitance manager. They were telling me if I was able to promote selling books A Million cards to customers.

Interview Questions

• Noting too difficult, I answered the questions the best I could and they mostly were Why do you want to work here? I answered and told them that I have an interest in the job and the books as well but mostly the customers. Other things I told them where my experiences and how it can be useful for this position. They didn't call me after the interview and I didn't get the job even though I would like to work there.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Tuscaloosa, AL) in June 2012.

Interview

Easy interview. Very straightforward. My interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was mostly just sitting and talking. I got the job within a few days. Most questions were just about scheduling and school. Giving a sales pitch during the interview was quite difficult because I had just learned the details of what a discount card was.

Interview Questions

• Giving a sales pitch for the discount card was really tough   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Memphis, TN).

Interview

I submitted two applications actually and got a call back a week or two after the second one. You had to do a questionnaire online that was just asking about how to handle customer situations and what kind of person you are. At the interview though I wasn't actually asked a thing other than what was already on the paper in front of the manager. It was all a rundown of their magazine and discount card sales. For the 45 minutes I was there I could have just read an e-mail of what all was expected from me. I was informed there would have to be a second interview with someone else before I could get the job but I didn't take it.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel confident in your ability to sell things to the public?   Answer Question

I'm not a sales person and I didn't apply to become one.

Anonymous Employee in Gulf Shores, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Gulf Shores, AL) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied online for the bookseller position and received a callback within the next day or two. I was asked to come to the store for an interview. I asked for the manager and was greeted by the general manager and top assistant manager. They asked me basic questions on different topics, how my last job could be relevant to Books A Million, asked what I'm studying, etc. I was very social with them, answered all their questions and got hired on the spot

Interview Questions

• Was asked to sell a card on the spot in front of the managers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Books-A-Million (Murfreesboro, TN) in December 2009.

Interview

I met with the assistant manager first. We talked about the company, what the job would and entail, and he asked general questions. Then, I met with Manager. I was offered the job that day. Full time. I just had to wait for the background check to go through before I could start.

Interview Questions

• Explain why you want to work for Books A Million?   Answer Question
    • Discuss past experiences in retail that offered a challenge to you.   Answer Question