Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Great day of super interesting conversations. More about moral and philosophical questions than anything having to do with investment. Fun day that left me invigorated. Connected with a lot of the people I met with and got a great sense of what the work culture would be like.

Interview Questions

• What is the impact of immediate communication (email, text, etc) on human connection?   Answer Question
    • Should parents get votes on behalf of their children?   Answer Question

Data Associate Interview

Interview

A lengthy introductory phone call, a take home assignment, then an onsite. Prior to the onsite there is A LOT of preparatory material about the culture. Expect to spend a few hours learning about Bridgewater and a few hours completing personality tests. We discussed compensation in the introductory phone call, and it actually seemed like they pay below market vs. other hedge funds.

The interview process was refreshing -- in particular, the phone screen. It was different than other interviews; less BS. I appreciate the focus on honesty and truth.

I had a good experience interviewing at Bridgewater, though it is quite a pain to get to from NYC. I was asked to leave in the middle of the day, and later found out I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• what are your weaknesses and faults; what do you want in your next role; analytical / case study assessments   Answer Question

Employee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Phone interview with 2 people lasted about 30 mins. They were nice but serious and maybe a bit uptight (and I've even been in the financial services industry my whole career). The interview was good in that I got the opportunity to understand their vibe, and I'm sure they understood my vibe.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness and what are you doing to overcome that?   Answer Question

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

Quick phone screening the people who was "interviewing" me was very professional and funny and made me follow the company. He described what it was like working for Bridgewater and how it's hard buttery rewarding. One of the better interviews I ever had.

Lead DevOps Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2019.

Interview

Easy & Unique interview process. Very time consuming but worth learning about their corporate culture.
    From surface it seem to be a great culture but people I interacted with wasn't very open to new ideas nor aware of latest technology trends. Reason for rejection give was absurd. Despite owning multiple patents in the devops area, they rejected saying they want someone with more in-depth knowledge. Interviewees were some fresh off of college kid w/ very short term experience.
    Culture is very good fit for order takers but not for innovators.

Interview Questions

• Design a Game in your choice of language? How would you architect a infrastructure for high volume application?   Answer Question

Interview

Recruited via my university's career fair, interviewed near my college campus. Several rounds of philosophical interviews, dissecting moral and ethical questions and probing my ability to respond to 'devil's advocate'-esque challenges to points that I made.

Interview Questions

• Is it ethical to conduct double blind scientific experiments without participants' explicit consent under any circumstances?   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in October 2019.

Interview

She asked me to go over my resume and then she introduced their culture. After that, she asked why there is a match. I talked about my skill sets. Then she mentioned the function of this job.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Boston, MA) in September 2019.

Interview

Very strange interview process. Before I interviewed I filled out various personality tests. I was then interviewed in a WeWork in my school's city. The first round was a group interview with 6 or so other applicants and two Bridgewater employees. The second round was a 2 on 1 interview with two Bridgewater employees. Both rounds were centered around philosophical topics and were essentially debates/discussions with no technical or personal components.

Interview Questions

• Should we ban psychologically manipulative advertising?   Answer Question
    • Are you concerned about the rise of bio-engineering technologies?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Took a hacker rank coding challenge. The hacker rank coding challenge is allocated a duration of hours equivalent to 2 weeks but does not necessarily require the whole two weeks to be solved, i.e. can be completed in the less than the completed time.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in August 2019.

Interview

They put 8 students in a room and had them debate each other. They clearly only had their eyes on a few kids though. My group had multiple candidates that refused to engage with the conversation out of shyness, so it was a painful half hour.

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from the company after applying online via Indeed. All the online discussions from past employees noted that the company atmosphere was very 'cult-like', intense and abnormal. All of which were confirmed in my first call with the recruiter when the first sentence out of their mouth asked for permission to record our conversation, as all their conversation at the company were recorded. We then discussed what I'm looking for in a new position, my experience and expected salary.

Next step involved an online coding challenge via HackerRank. The challenge instructions noted that you would be given a choice between two difficult problems and you were to attempt only one. You would be allotted a total time of 10 hours! to complete the problem you chose. They expect the challenge to take 'a few hours to complete' but you are also advised to not spend an 'inordinate ' amount of time completing it. I'm not sure how long they expect you to work on the problem, given that they acknowledge that it should take 'a few hours' and time limit is 10 hours long....

Every sensible person completing the challenge would more than likely make use of an IDE to debug and solve the problem. Only copying the solution over to the online IDE when they verified it worked locally. However, the online IDE appears to lock the default imports without allowing you to modify them, thus resulting in me spending 20-30 minutes trying to solve various compilation issues resulting from naming collisions in the default imports and classes I chose to import...

Got a 1 sentence response from a recruiter about 1 week later letting me know my skills weren't a match for the position.

Advice: This company seems extremely strange and abnormal, I would advise people who don't like to belong to a cult like atmosphere to run....

Interview Questions

• Given a block of text, output the sentence number and frequency for each word....   1 Answer