Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Stamford, CT) in September 2013.

Interview

No need for prep. Be Honest and go in as yourself. but be critical and outspoken. Try to think outside the box and keep an open mind. You will benefit from thinking from first principles.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about loss of privacy coming from a more mobile world   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in March 2010.

Interview

Know the firm professionally. Got my foot in the door almost by accident (wasn't looking actively), through an acquaintance. Interviewed for an investment-related position. Had two phone interviews (a pretty thorough resume walk-through and a case), 2 personality tests (MB type II and Team Dynamics) and an in-person. The in-person included one of their almost-famous group discussions on a topic completely unrelated to the nature of the position, another case, and another resume walk-through, which focused on the stuff in the bottom third of the resume. Did a so-so job - it was my first interview in years - and didn't get the offer. Can't say I was surprised with the outcome, unpleasant as it was. Overall, this felt much more like a management consulting interview than a hedge fund interview.

A word on the culture and the quirks that come with it: the interview experience was not unpleasant and at no point did I feel like I was being condescended to. Yes, they ask tough questions. Yes, they do tape the interviews (with your consent). Yes, there is the book of 150-odd Ray Dalio's principles, some of which feel a little rambling and some of which sound a little extreme, but adherence to which was nonetheless evident in the way the interview was conducted. But the folks I spoke to were smart, they did listen carefully, and they made sure that I got my chance to speak.

So come in with an open mind, no expectation for softball questions, and be prepared to talk for half an hour about that stupid summer job you did after your freshman year.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest failure, personal or professional?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

Secured interview through referral. Initial interview was face-to-face and was very informal. Mostly asked questions pertaining to resume with few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the dual mandates of the Fed?   2 Answers
    • What event occurred last week that most impacted the specific division to which you are applying?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

I had a group interview with a few other people. Interviewer gave a topic for discussion. We sat around a table, and took turns talking about the topic while the interviewer sat in a corner taking notes. The topics were not finance related, and I'm not sure how we were judged. In the end, we got some feedback a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• It was unexpected that we needed to do a group interview with a few other people.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

In my phone interview there were a lot of strange lines of questioning. The interviewer often focused on minute details with apparent limited relevance. Odd battery of personality tests, including Meyers Briggs and two other tests to determine how you might behave in the workplace. Very different from other interview processes.

Interview Questions

• When I had done something important that potentially had been hurtful at the time for others.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

I first took an online personality assessment, which was to help determine if the candidate would be a fit for the firm. I was then invited to Connecticut to interview. The interviews took place at a Stamford Hotel, where non-locals stayed the previous night. There were a lot of other candidates there that day. Every candidate had a 1-on-1 chat with an HR representative. This was entirely behavioral. Candidates were also split into groups of 6-8 and a discussion took place on a random topic. 1-2 associates from Bridgewater guided the discussions and just tried to understand your thought process, meaning there were no right or wrong answers.

Interview Questions

• No technical or difficult questions. They just want to know HOW you think and if it'll work at their firm.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Cambridge, MA) in January 2012.

Interview

1-hr interview, completely tape-recorded with two people and a notepad; pre-interview drinks! :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Bridgeport, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Then took a personality test and after that I was brought in for an all day group interview. Was split into different sectors throughout the day. Conversation about current events, one on one interview, videos of daily life at bridgewater and project based interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Stamford, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

Was approached by a recruiter, filled out personality tests, went in for a full day of interviews. There was a group discussion on a current event, an individual interview, a problem solving group project, watching of tapes to show the daily role of bridgewater employees, and then meeting with individual teams. Lasted from 9am-5pm was a long day of the process.

Interview Questions

• If you were creating your ideal country what border control rules would you enforce?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

couldn't wait for the day to be over. it was tedious. a great learning experience, but it was too overwhelming. too much Ray Dalio worshiping to take in for one lifetime. definitely have to be what they're looking for to be entailed throughout.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you'll fit in with the Bridgewater culture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in January 2015.

Interview

They don't tell you what you're interviewing for. They don't communicate predictably, on time, or at all sometimes. There was an online application, online personality tests, on campus portion, then a long wait, then went to Westport for a half day of interviews (people who continued in process stayed the full day).

Interview Questions

• Is it worth spending money on space exploration with problems at home/Earth?   1 Answer