Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Stamford, CT) in September 2013.

Interview

No need for prep. Be Honest and go in as yourself. but be critical and outspoken. Try to think outside the box and keep an open mind. You will benefit from thinking from first principles.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about loss of privacy coming from a more mobile world   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

There were students set to debate eachother on open topics to examine how they think. Second round involved individual talking and problem solving. The second round also involved another debating portion with higher executives.

Interview Questions

• What will happen with technology taking over jobs in the future   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

Interview Process was like a 3 ring circus. There were 2 personality tests required prior to the interview. HR phone interview they do everything to attempt to trip you up including twisting things you say into something negative. In person interview you go from room to room. First room they have multiple job candidates sitting in the same room and they draw a lot of diagrams explaining their culture. Second room they make you do 'role play' with current employees (example: have a phone conversation with a vendor who has not delivered on time), if you try to be polite they tell you that you should be yelling at and reprimanding the fake vendor (current employees used curses as example). 3rd room they make you list 3 negative qualities about yourself, work wise or other, and if you refuse or list something thats not truly negative they won't allow you to leave, stating you need a real negative. Forcing you to make stuff up which they then interrogate you over. I should also add that all of these conversations are either video or audio recorded and they insist you sign a waiver prior to each conversation. Worst interview process I have ever encountered. Feels like a cult.

Interview Questions

• List 3 truly negative qualities you possess, work wise or other.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process began with 4 personality tests and various case studies on the culture of the firm. Then I had an hour long phone screening with a recruiting rep whose job was to figure out where I would fit best within the firm then begin the process of determining if I was a "culture fit." I was invited up to HQ in CT where I had a full day of interviews ranging from a group problem think to culture tapes to a lot of 1:1s (six to be exact). I then went through another phone screening for positions they were still interested in me for and asked if the feeling was mutual. I went up for a second full day of interviews that involved 7 1:1s with a case studies in almost every meeting. Nothing can really prepare you for this process except for really being clear in what your limits are and your motives for working at the firm. Ask as many insightful and original questions that you can. They can sense falseness so it is almost pointless to be anything but genuinely yourself (as easy as that sounds). At the end of the day, they are most interested in the individuals who are the right "culture fit" and if you are then great, but if not Bridgewater is probably not the place for you to work anyways.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer: Do you think I am doing a good job of interviewing you?   Answer Question
    • Interviewer: How do you deal with people who are stubborn and refuse to like you?   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I did an HR screen and a phone screen. I was then rejected. Be aware, during the HR screen, the hr person may say something critical of you unexpectedly to test how you would handle their bizare culture. On the phone screen, a data question was asked with follow up questions. I was given feedback saying that the follow up questions were meant as a distraction and I was not supposed to deviate from the original question. This is a very strange company that few people would enjoy. Be careful: for me it was a complete waste of time.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in February 2018.

Interview

Quizzes, group discussions, case interviews, behavioral interviews. Just be honest that is what they want, and if you're a fit they can easily tell. Easiest way for them to tell would be if you are dodgy and try to non-answer certain questions.

Candidate Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Wilton, CT) in January 2018.

Interview

Applied through a staffing agency. Had an initial phone call with the agency then invited onsite for a full day of interview 9-4. Interview is split into three sections: videos, group discussion, and one on one. Did not receive an offer but a month later was reached out to about a temp to perm position. I responded I was interested but never heard from them again. For a company that says they provide great candidate experience, I did not receive it.

Technical Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied through email in Oct 2017. Received an email Dec 2017, where I quote "After reviewing your resume, our hiring manager did not think that you are at the technical bar for this year’s intern class." I'm not gonna mention that I have a major 3.9, projects and hackathon award, and big companies on my resume, BUT seriously you have to phrase a rejection email this way?!

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview was a day long process that consisted of a generic interview, a case study, and a group discussion. Before the interview, candidates are required to take out personality assessments and familiarise themselves with the Bridgewater culture through a series of videos, which gives an incisive look into what the culture really is about and allows candidates to decide whether they see that as fit for them. Following this, you are invited to its office in CT for a day long interview. Each interview is conducted with a different interviewer and the questions are structured to prod the candidate on his/her way of thinking and provide tough, critical feedback on the spot. The interviews are undoubtedly some of the smartest people I have met, with a lot of depth as a result you leave each interview slightly shaken, but also inspired/learning something new about yourself. The interview process as a whole is one of the most insightful and intellectually rigorous/rewarding process that I have been through. Go in expecting to be challenged, and the process - regardless of the outcome - will be very rewarding.

Interview Questions

• Questions such what is your greatest accomplishment, what is you greatest obstacle, what are you are long term goals, what are values that are important to you and why?   1 Answer

Investment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in December 2017.

Interview

First round is a coding problem that usually takes up to 3 hours and the answer must be emailed.
    I have went to second round that is a phone interview (almost 30 min). Night before the interview, it was canceled by HR and the day after, it was rescheduled again for the next week. At the rescheduled time, I was waiting for them to call but after waiting for almost 15 minutes, I have called the HR again to make sure that they have current number. However, he said that the interview is canceled (but no one told me before the interview) and must be rescheduled. It was rescheduled again and this time they called me. They were two interviewer, both introduced themselves, however, one of them stayed silenced and didn't said anything for the rest of the interview (even no goodbye). It seems that they just want to do the interview and didn't want any outcome from it, the main interviewer who were talking didn't even ask about my background or my interest or my name (I guess if my wife would have picked up the phone, they would have interviewed her!). He was in rush and wanted to finish the interview asap. He asked one question on how to optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators.

After one week they have send a rejection email to my recruiter (they didn't even cc me)!

Overall, it was not a good experience!

Interview Questions

• optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Hartford, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

As said in previous on glassdoor, there was a take home coding challenge which was very simple.
    Also they recommended to watch the "culture" videos on their website.

Then came the phone call with a panel of managers. Now I expected this to be a formal introduction about position and things they are working on.

Interview started with discussing the solutions that I provided and thought process on the solution. Questions were not related to solution but why use the language, testing, trade offs. This was okay for the moment but then they started bashing everything I said.

Then we moved on to my experience and career goal. The managers were so bad that they started bashing where I come from and if there are no opportunities at my birth place and started laughing about it. Seriously?

Then came "culture" part where they asked me how I felt about videos and how I would fit in. As it was too early for me to say how I would fit it, I gave generic answer that I will have to see how things work and adapt accordingly. Straightaway they said you are way confident on your abilities and that is scary.

After everything they asked me if I had read through glassdoor and news about company. Well I definitely had gone over everything but do they really expect me to say bad things that people have said? They really wanted to me say things about they being in news for sexual assault and laughed how funny it is.

From all the above points it was clear for me that this is just a place for slaves who will do anything to keep their jobs. Being software developer I'm giving like 10 interviews a week and will never even consider applying to this place in future.

Interview Questions

• Did you read about Bridgewater in news? We recommend you to go back and read, it is fun!   Answer Question