Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 12, 2018

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Stamford, CT) in September 2013.

Interview

No need for prep. Be Honest and go in as yourself. but be critical and outspoken. Try to think outside the box and keep an open mind. You will benefit from thinking from first principles.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about loss of privacy coming from a more mobile world   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied through email in Oct 2017. Received an email Dec 2017, where I quote "After reviewing your resume, our hiring manager did not think that you are at the technical bar for this year’s intern class." I'm not gonna mention that I have a major 3.9, projects and hackathon award, and big companies on my resume, BUT seriously you have to phrase a rejection email this way?!

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview was a day long process that consisted of a generic interview, a case study, and a group discussion. Before the interview, candidates are required to take out personality assessments and familiarise themselves with the Bridgewater culture through a series of videos, which gives an incisive look into what the culture really is about and allows candidates to decide whether they see that as fit for them. Following this, you are invited to its office in CT for a day long interview. Each interview is conducted with a different interviewer and the questions are structured to prod the candidate on his/her way of thinking and provide tough, critical feedback on the spot. The interviews are undoubtedly some of the smartest people I have met, with a lot of depth as a result you leave each interview slightly shaken, but also inspired/learning something new about yourself. The interview process as a whole is one of the most insightful and intellectually rigorous/rewarding process that I have been through. Go in expecting to be challenged, and the process - regardless of the outcome - will be very rewarding.

Interview Questions

• Questions such what is your greatest accomplishment, what is you greatest obstacle, what are you are long term goals, what are values that are important to you and why?   1 Answer

Investment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in December 2017.

Interview

First round is a coding problem that usually takes up to 3 hours and the answer must be emailed.
    I have went to second round that is a phone interview (almost 30 min). Night before the interview, it was canceled by HR and the day after, it was rescheduled again for the next week. At the rescheduled time, I was waiting for them to call but after waiting for almost 15 minutes, I have called the HR again to make sure that they have current number. However, he said that the interview is canceled (but no one told me before the interview) and must be rescheduled. It was rescheduled again and this time they called me. They were two interviewer, both introduced themselves, however, one of them stayed silenced and didn't said anything for the rest of the interview (even no goodbye). It seems that they just want to do the interview and didn't want any outcome from it, the main interviewer who were talking didn't even ask about my background or my interest or my name (I guess if my wife would have picked up the phone, they would have interviewed her!). He was in rush and wanted to finish the interview asap. He asked one question on how to optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators.

After one week they have send a rejection email to my recruiter (they didn't even cc me)!

Overall, it was not a good experience!

Interview Questions

• optimize the elevators performance in 100 floor building when there are 10 elevators.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Hartford, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

As said in previous on glassdoor, there was a take home coding challenge which was very simple.
    Also they recommended to watch the "culture" videos on their website.

Then came the phone call with a panel of managers. Now I expected this to be a formal introduction about position and things they are working on.

Interview started with discussing the solutions that I provided and thought process on the solution. Questions were not related to solution but why use the language, testing, trade offs. This was okay for the moment but then they started bashing everything I said.

Then we moved on to my experience and career goal. The managers were so bad that they started bashing where I come from and if there are no opportunities at my birth place and started laughing about it. Seriously?

Then came "culture" part where they asked me how I felt about videos and how I would fit in. As it was too early for me to say how I would fit it, I gave generic answer that I will have to see how things work and adapt accordingly. Straightaway they said you are way confident on your abilities and that is scary.

After everything they asked me if I had read through glassdoor and news about company. Well I definitely had gone over everything but do they really expect me to say bad things that people have said? They really wanted to me say things about they being in news for sexual assault and laughed how funny it is.

From all the above points it was clear for me that this is just a place for slaves who will do anything to keep their jobs. Being software developer I'm giving like 10 interviews a week and will never even consider applying to this place in future.

Interview Questions

• Did you read about Bridgewater in news? We recommend you to go back and read, it is fun!   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Before we got started, they asked for permission to record the call. The phone interview with 2 very technical people on phone. Asked me to rate yourself 1-10 in Active Directory, VMware, GPO's. Then they asked me tech questions based upon my ranking.

Interview Questions

• Name the 5 FMSO roles.
      Describe the Vmotion process (from a technical standpoint) - why it may lose a ping during the process   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2017.

Interview

Dropped resume, was selected as an alternate (that was my fault, I made some mistakes while applying). I then secured a slot and went for the group interview but it was clear that they had no intention of selecting me right from the get-go; they just wanted an alternate to make up the numbers. I say it was clear because one of the interviewers sat next to me and made notes about the other participants' points but literally wrote nothing next to my name, even though I was one of the most active speakers. It was obvious that they had one or two candidates in mind and addressed questions specifically to them more than to anyone else.

Interview Questions

• We had to each bring our own questions. We ended up debating on various issues in moral philosophy-education, taxation, military exploits.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2017.

Interview

It was a total waste of time to talk to Bridgewater Associate. I should have trusted other reviews on Glassdoor.

Process started with watching number of video on Culture, then a personality test (it was good, very long), then a call with Recruiter and finally screen with hiring manager.

I was really impressed by the culture videos and was excited about the call with hiring manager.
    Unfortunately my call turned out to be pretty regular screen interview and nothing much special about the culture aspect.

While talking about their tech stake HM mentioned Scala and I mentioned from my side that I haven't had chance to do Scala but appreciate the language a lot and willing to learn. HM said yeah its not important to know for this role (this is what recruiters told before even going into conversation too) but there should be a desire to learn Scala. I felt good about it.

1 hour call got over after number of Q&A's regarding my past work, me asking HM number of questions of about their platform.
    I was expecting some feedback (direct) on call as per their culture if I was not meeting their expectation but nothing.

Later on my follow up to get feedback of interview, I learned from recruiter that they don't want to proceed because of no experience in Scala.
    Not sure why the call were scheduled in the first place and number of hours of all involved parties were wasted when they really wanted Scala developers.

Call also do not reflect anything about the their culture which is talked a lot about in the videos.

Interview Questions

• Questions on previous Work experiences.
      Why I want to join Hedge fund etc.   Answer Question

Investment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

I was at a Target school and a recruiter had reached out to me. Initially, after having applied for the TA internship program, the recruiter suggested applying for Investment Engineering (IE) instead. The process was fairly straightforward - after applying on an online form, I received the on-site a few days after that. Before the onsite I was asked to do a Sonru video interview which asked me 4 behavioral questions like - 'what do your friends think of you?', 'describe your favorite project and why that was the case', 'what do you want from life?' and such. Before the onsite interview day, they keep you at the DoubleTree in Norwalk, CT and the interviews are the next day where you go out to the 20 Westport office in a shuttle with other candidates. This is where I initially had a group discussion about any topic some other candidate had decided and following that I had a technical interview; after this you may or may not have another interview - which is not indicative of your performance. The technical interview is like a simpler version of any Quant interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

I submitted an online application, and then I received an email asking me to come interview at their offices in Bridgewater, Connecticut. The interview consisted of a group discussion and two one-on-one interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Informative and straight-forward. You are not entered into a position without all knowledge of responsibilities, culture, and more. The screening helps cut out those who would not fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• Stress-Level Related. Scenario Questionnaire. Repetitive questions, consistency in answers is key. Keep it straight-forward.   Answer Question