Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

3.5

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Stamford, CT) in September 2013.

Interview

No need for prep. Be Honest and go in as yourself. but be critical and outspoken. Try to think outside the box and keep an open mind. You will benefit from thinking from first principles.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about loss of privacy coming from a more mobile world   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2017.

Interview

It was a total waste of time to talk to Bridgewater Associate. I should have trusted other reviews on Glassdoor.

Process started with watching number of video on Culture, then a personality test (it was good, very long), then a call with Recruiter and finally screen with hiring manager.

I was really impressed by the culture videos and was excited about the call with hiring manager.
    Unfortunately my call turned out to be pretty regular screen interview and nothing much special about the culture aspect.

While talking about their tech stake HM mentioned Scala and I mentioned from my side that I haven't had chance to do Scala but appreciate the language a lot and willing to learn. HM said yeah its not important to know for this role (this is what recruiters told before even going into conversation too) but there should be a desire to learn Scala. I felt good about it.

1 hour call got over after number of Q&A's regarding my past work, me asking HM number of questions of about their platform.
    I was expecting some feedback (direct) on call as per their culture if I was not meeting their expectation but nothing.

Later on my follow up to get feedback of interview, I learned from recruiter that they don't want to proceed because of no experience in Scala.
    Not sure why the call were scheduled in the first place and number of hours of all involved parties were wasted when they really wanted Scala developers.

Call also do not reflect anything about the their culture which is talked a lot about in the videos.

Interview Questions

• Questions on previous Work experiences.
      Why I want to join Hedge fund etc.   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2017.

Interview

Dropped resume, was selected as an alternate (that was my fault, I made some mistakes while applying). I then secured a slot and went for the group interview but it was clear that they had no intention of selecting me right from the get-go; they just wanted an alternate to make up the numbers. I say it was clear because one of the interviewers sat next to me and made notes about the other participants' points but literally wrote nothing next to my name, even though I was one of the most active speakers. It was obvious that they had one or two candidates in mind and addressed questions specifically to them more than to anyone else.

Interview Questions

• We had to each bring our own questions. We ended up debating on various issues in moral philosophy-education, taxation, military exploits.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Informative and straight-forward. You are not entered into a position without all knowledge of responsibilities, culture, and more. The screening helps cut out those who would not fit into the company.

Interview Questions

• Stress-Level Related. Scenario Questionnaire. Repetitive questions, consistency in answers is key. Keep it straight-forward.   Answer Question

Business Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (New York, NY).

Interview

2 onsite interviews; one 6-hour day, one 8-hour day. Met with 12 people over the two days plus time spent there watching videos. All interviews were taped - consistency of answers is key. Your hot buttons and sensitive points will be found, poked, prodded and pressed. I was left with a deep concern on how the culture will survive when the present CIO and founder leaves (he's 70+).

Interview Questions

• Standard strengths and weaknesses. A time you messed up - how did you handle it. Biggest success. Biggest failure. Biggest regret.
      Same questions over and over again. Everything is taped so consistency is key.   Answer Question
    • I was given a verbal offer, and when the written offer came in, it was materially different. I found that odd coming from such an ethics/integrity forward and first company.   Answer Question

Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Berkeley, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The technical interview was a generic technical interview in which the interviewer started off by talking about the projects that I have done. Then we talked about the coding challenge that was sent to me a week earlier. Finally, I was questioned on data structures and algorithms fundamentals.

Investment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in September 2017.

Interview

Bridgewater covered expenses from flying, hotel, food, and driving to the location. The interview process involved both a single and group interview at the Bridgewater offices. Acceptances and rejections were sent out in the week following the interview.

Interview Questions

• There was both a single and group interview. The single interview included a question about analyzing mechanics of the market, and the group interview was one where the group debated a topic presented by a group member.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

It was an online interview. On the screen I would be given a prompt and approx 2 minutes to prepare and then my answer would be recorded. There were only four or five questions in total and I was given a response the very next day.

Interview Questions

• All questions were meant for the interviewee to reflect on two sides of a debate and select one stance to support.   Answer Question

Investment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

Applied through online portal and got contacted about superday a few weeks later. Went on campus and had the typical bridgewater interview. Has a brain teaser interview, group interview, and case study interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing you can really prepare for.   1 Answer

Business Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Norwalk, CT).

Interview

Overall, I think I did well but the people that interviewed me were so rude that I could never work there. I called and told them this the next day. Talk-down type culture, everyone thinks they are better than you. Prepare for them to make you feel stupid when the questions they ask have no right answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Hanover, NH) in August 2017.

Interview

The first round was a group interview with 5 other applicants and 3 Bridgewater associates. The interview took the form of a group discussion around different ethical issues. They also had applicants take a short online interview, and the second round was a more traditional 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 interview also centered on ethical discussion. It was difficult during the hour-long group interview to make yourself stand out, as everyone fought for talking points and the 3 Bridgewater interviewers asserted their own points as well. They also seemed to choose and target specific individuals from the beginning, which made it even more difficult for others to "catch up" and have the chance to stand out.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about potential parents with genetic diseases having children? Should they be prevented from doing so?   Answer Question