Cummins Control Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cummins Control Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 14, 2016

2.6

Controls Engineer Interview

Interview

first is the behavior questions . after one month, it is technical questions . both are phone call interviews. HR will ask a few standard behavior questions like introduction, your weakness, your strength.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Controls Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. First was a 30 minute long behavioral interview while the second was an hour long technical interview.
    The interviewers were really polite and asked questions related to Cummins values and also questions about my previous job experiences.

Interview Questions

• How is control systems applied in a diesel engine?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Swift & cooperative.
    Contacted by HR for scheduling a phone interview & then was asked for on site interview.
    1st round: 1 hour
    2nd round: 1 hour
    Process was smooth. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interview Questions

• Behavioral & technical questions   1 Answer

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Gainesville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Talked to a recruiter on university's career showcase and was asked to apply online. Received a phone call right after the showcase to schedule an on-campus interview.

2. Had behavior interview on campus. It should be a 2:1 interview, one HR and one engineer. But I was interviewed only by the engineer because the HR went for lunch.
    Lasted for 45 mins.

3. Got an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks after the on-campus interview. Interviewed by a control engineer. He tried to get me relaxed by talking about my interests, hobbies for the first several minutes. Then followed by some technical questions. The interviewee tried to dig deep into my answer until I was unable to explain any more.
    Lasted for about 1 hour.

4. Received a phone call from Columbus, IN requiring for some personal information. Then contacted the next day providing me two positions to choose from.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral questions were about:
      1) brief self-introduction
      2) Explain each experience listed on resume.
      3) What if you give you customer wrong information.
      4) Handle with several projects at the same time.
      4) Have different opinions with your leader.
      5) Conflicts with team members/colleagues.

Some of the technical questions were about:
      1) What's the difference between classic control and modern control.
      2) What's the condition for a system to be stable. What will happen if it gets unstable.
      3) Give a rough design of a cruise control system.
      4) What is a vector table in microcontroller programming?
      5) How does an interrupt work.
      6) Describe the way a sensor works in your project.
      3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, OH) in September 2013.

Interview

Got the first round chance on a career fair which they informed me about the behavior interview 1 week later. The behavior interview is 1:1 and the hr is nice. Try to be the first interviewee that day and be expressive.
    About 2 weeks after first round, there was a on phone technical interview. Got the offer 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral one: on campus; 1 hour; most questions are easy like how to solve conflict between you and colleague, how to manage your time.
      Technical one: on phone; 1 hour; one question is to design a control strategy for a driving car. And also asked me about the most successful and innovative work project I have ever done.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in August 2013.

Interview

There were three interviews.
    1) Technical Questions
    2) Your Experiences
    3) What interests you (helps for placement)

All three interviews were over the phone and they were very clear on what was going to happen. At the end of the interview, they told you right then and there if we should expect another phone interview in the near future.

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cummins (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very simple. Not very technical. The recruiter wants to see if you fit the company culture. The questions are more behavior based. They spend more time explaining the culture of the company and what kind of projects you will work on there including the overall outcome of the internship with them.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your weaknesses? Steps you take to overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They dont negotiate salary for interns. The salary is based on level schooling and availability of positions in hr.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in March 2013.

Interview

Meet with multiple members of the technical staff. Technical discussions on a variety of topics. Plant tour with emphasis on the areas that I would be working in, Follow up after the tour with HR to explain the rest of the process. Total time on the interview was about 6 hours.

Interview Questions

• Gave me a set of drawings that had been submitted by a supplier and asked how I would handle the approval process.   1 Answer

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

On campus interview by two very nice Indian engineers

They follow a standard questions sheet which is identical for every interview on that day. Basically they repeat some similar behavior questions three times, such as how you deal with controversial problem or conflict with co-workers. So prepare some different materials for same problem if you can.

The two engineers replied my thank you letter but I didn't hear back from them regarding next step. SInce I only has the contact info from engineers, that won't help much if I cant get in touch with HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you FAILED to meet the deadline.
      How you deal with a sensitive topic in a public meeting
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Orlando, FL) in September 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed directly by an electronics talent scout at the HEENAC Conference. I did not have to go through HR because the talent scout was able to make both the technical and behavioral interview questions. Since I was a college hire, the questions were mostly behavioral and a few were controls related.The behavior questions were situations that helped the recruiter assess me in the core values of Cummins, such as integrity.

Interview Questions

• Describe a controls system by showing the interactions between inputs and outputs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as the package was good and I was a college hire.