Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 28, 2018

2.8

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Cary, NC) in April 2018.

Interview

First interview was with HR over the phone. Mostly behavioral questions for about an hour. Second interview was a technical interview with the hiring manager. These were all "Tell me about a time. . . " questions related to my software engineering experience. Also about an hour in length. Third interview was in-house and it was 3 hours. They gave a couple of brain teasers, a "write me some code on the whiteboard that does . . . . . " question, and a lot of other questions that were a mixture of behavioral and technical.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser #1: Given 8 balls and a balance, how many weighings would it take to find one ball that does not weigh the same as the other 7.
      Brain teaser #2: Two boys enter a tunnel. When they are 1/3 of the way through, they hear a train coming. If the boys run in opposite directions at the same speed, and narrowly miss getting hit by the train at their respective end of the tunnel, how fast was the train traveling compared to the 2 boys?   2 Answers

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied for the job online. Received an email asking for availability for a 30-minute interview. Set up interview with a recruiter for the following week. Informed that I was not selected one week later.

Cartography Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted a few days after applying for the job, I had a phone interview where the HR person immediately said that she wanted me to come in for an on-site interview, which was scheduled for that following week.
    During my on-site interview I got to use their software and had 3 separate interviews, which totalled about 3 hours. I was able to use their software efficiently, and I answered all technical questions correctly (do your research before the interview and you should do fine).
    My first few interviews went well, but the last interview was with the 2 department heads who were clearly uninterested in me as soon as they saw me. I stayed positive and upbeat throughout the whole interview process despite their apparent lack of interest. I didn't get the job, but I wasn't too surprised considering that the department had NO Black people, and only one person of color.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important skills a GIS technician should have?   Answer Question

GIS Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yarmouth, ME

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Yarmouth, ME).

Interview

Contacted first by a recruiter for the company. Then called by someone in HR to set up an in-person interview with several individuals in the office. All very personable-did not ask extremely difficult or unreasonable questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had a disagreement with a coworker on a project, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, KS) in March 2018.

Interview

After speaking with a University recruiter at a college career fair, I applied online for a general Mechanical Engineering 1 position. The job description was pretty vague but I got an email about setting up a phone interview with HR about 3 weeks after I applied. The HR interview was very easy and just consisted of behavioral questions about working in teams and solving problems.

After I passed the HR interview, I got an email to set up a technical phone interview with two hiring managers, one who worked in the Aviation division and the other who worked in the consumer electronics division. The technical interview was very relaxed and they just asked me questions about my resume and my technical skills. The obvious 'why do you want to work here' questions were also asked but the focus was more just making sure that I had the skills that were required for the job.

After passing the technical interview, Garmin offered to fly me out to their headquarters in Kansas City, KS for an in person interview. I was scheduled to meet with both the aviation and the consumer electronics division separately. I flew out a few days earlier to explore Kansas City and in the interviews everyone was impressed that I explored the city. I do believe it helped my credibility and assisted in getting me an offer. I met first with HR to go over benefits and the company. They also answered any questions I had about the company. The technical interview questions were very similar to the technical phone interview as there were multiple from each division in each interview so they had to be brought up to speed on the content of my resume. The interview was more to just make sure that I was a good fit with the rest of the company than a technical 'make sure you know SolidWorks' interview. After the interviews I went on a tour with one of their younger engineer 2As (he'd been working there for 2 years) and he showed me around the massive headquarter campus, got lunch with me, and talked with me about working at Garmin from a perspective that was removed from the hiring process.

I was given an offer of $63,000 with a signing bonus of $5,000 which was average for the field as far as I know. I declined the offer because while I loved Garmin, the people there, and the work I would be doing, Kansas city was not the right fit for me and I didn't want to leave beautiful Colorado! However, if you're looking at working here and you are OK with living in Kansas City, Garmin's benefits, work life balance, and culture are absolutely one of a kind and I really wish that they were located somewhere else! If I ever find myself searching for employment again, I will definitely be applying to Garmin's other office locations around the globe. Good luck in your job hunt!

Interview Questions

• The only 'test' question they asked me was when they showed me a picture of a light-brite pin and asked me to comment on the technical drawing, the tolerances, the manufacturability, and how I would change it to make it cheaper and easier to mass produce.   1 Answer

Aviation Systems Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in March 2018.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter for a phone screen. This interview went over the resume and some general behavioral questions. The next phone interview was with the hiring manager. It was the same type of interview, but went further into the technical side of the resume. They asked me to interview onsite in Olathe, KS. I talked to the recruiter first, then two managers which asked technical questions, then two lead engineers which asked questions about past experiences. About a month later, I was told I did not receive the offer.

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in February 2018.

Interview

I was offered the interview at a career fair; the interview was in-person, and it was basically a test of electrical engineering concepts that I learned in college. I heard back from Garmin via email around two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project that you designed and made yourself, and draw a block diagram detailing the important parts of it. (preferably a project you did on your own but then interviewer accepted projects done for a class)   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

It was a phone interview purely personal interview, and if they thought I was a good fit I would move on to an onsite technical interview. I did not get pass the first interview, probably because I missed their phone call and had to reschedule.

Interview Questions

• Basic personal questions what do you enjoy about CS, what are your strengths and weaknesses, talk about your personal projects.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in January 2018.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview with a recruiter from Garmin followed by a technical phone interview with an engineer over a few weeks. I was tested on C, OOP, algorithms and data structures.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yarmouth, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Yarmouth, ME) in January 2018.

Interview

This is for an entry level position. First interview was over the phone with HR, standard personality questions. Second was a coding exercise where I had 2 hours to complete the task. I've heard back and am currently in the process of setting up a skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Why Garmin?   1 Answer
    • In c++ create a class hierarchy to classify numbers using an interface number. Define classes Real/Whole, and subclasses odd/even.
      For each integer 0-10 inclusive, insert them into an STL structure. Iterate through the STL structure and print out the number and what subclass it is.

Efficiently find the smallest number that is not less that 5.5 and print it out.

All interactions should be using the Number interface.   1 Answer