Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2018

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in January 2018.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview with a recruiter from Garmin followed by a technical phone interview with an engineer over a few weeks. I was tested on C, OOP, algorithms and data structures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yarmouth, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Yarmouth, ME) in January 2018.

Interview

This is for an entry level position. First interview was over the phone with HR, standard personality questions. Second was a coding exercise where I had 2 hours to complete the task. I've heard back and am currently in the process of setting up a skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Why Garmin?   1 Answer
    • In c++ create a class hierarchy to classify numbers using an interface number. Define classes Real/Whole, and subclasses odd/even.
      For each integer 0-10 inclusive, insert them into an STL structure. Iterate through the STL structure and print out the number and what subclass it is.

Efficiently find the smallest number that is not less that 5.5 and print it out.

All interactions should be using the Number interface.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in January 2018.

Interview

Applied online, heard back the next day to set up a phone interview. Phone interview consisted mainly of questions about my resume, past experience, side projects, company and team expectations, salary, etc. Heard back a couple days later, and had 3 onsite interviews scheduled. 2 of the interviews were 2 on 1 (one technical with engineers/architects, and the other behavioral with two manager/team leads), and the 3rd was with HR. Was given a tour of the facility as well.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Cary, NC).

Interview

The first interview was over the phone with an HR recruiter. The first one contained only behavioral questions and was very simple. The second interview occurred on-site with the team manager. It was technical. The first question asked was a brain teaser, followed by questions about Java and programming concepts. Those questions weren't difficult at all, though the brainteaser was a bit challenging. After, the interviewer went through my resume and asked questions related to it. Overall, the interview lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Brain Teaser: You have 8 identical looking balls, and you have a scale. How can you find the one ball that weighs slightly more than the rest? Do it in the least amount of weighings possible.   1 Answer

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (South Portland, ME) in December 2017.

Interview

I was recruited through LinkedIn. My recruiter, Don, was extremely helpful in all aspects of the process. He made the entire experience easy. The in-office interview was a small panel style interview. It was a low-pressure conversation about my history and skills. I felt everyone was interested and not just interviewing out of duty. Overall, everyone was very pleasant and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• All very typical questions
      1. I was given a current design and asked to critic its look and function.
      2. What is your experience working with UX Designers and Developers?
      3. What is your design process?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in December 2017.

Interview

The phone interview was with one of the Mechanical engineering managers. The interview was very relaxed and we basically just discussed my work experience on my resume. At the end of the interview, the manager spoke about the type of work an entry-level mechanical engineer would be doing for Garmin.

Interview Questions

• What role do you usually take on the projects you have worked on?   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in December 2017.

Interview

Got flown in to have the onsite interview for the position of Embedded Software Engineer on Dec 1st. First a short HR interview, followed by three rounds of technical interviews, with an intermission of a lunch break.

The company is kind enough to fly both my wife and me in, and we enjoy the time staying in Olathe and Kansas City. Great company to work at, and great place to live in.

I did't perform very well in the technical interviews, and didn't get an offer, but the overall experience for the interview was pretty good.

Interview Questions

• Some design questions about the multiple GPU working at the same time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in December 2017.

Interview

I first met with HR and then two hiring managers or leads came in. The seemed discusted because I was over weight & the hiring manager ignored me the entire time. He did not look at me or speak to me but once. It was the most uncomfortable & unwelcoming interview I have ever had. If given the opportunity I would not interview there again.

Interview Questions

• If I had a scale and a jar full of marble that all were the same weight but one. Hiw would I find that marble   2 Answers
    • One logic question was all.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview started off with a phone screen which lasted about a half hour. This phone interview had questions primarily asking about items on my resume, salary expectations, my general interests, and past experiences. After the phone interview I was flown out to the headquarters where I had two technical interviews with developers and team leads. Each of these interviews lasted an hour and afterwards I was given a tour of the facility and lunch.

Interview Questions

• Convert a given decimal number to hex.   Answer Question
    • How would you describe a pointer?   Answer Question
    • What is an index?   Answer Question
    • Given a sheet of paper with some code on it, what does the program do, what are the bugs, how could you make it more efficient?   Answer Question
    • They gave a sheet of paper with some database tables on it and asked me to write a few queries.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted about two weeks later to set up a phone interview. Thought the interview went well, was told I would be contacted to set up another interview in the following weeks. Never heard back and tried following up multiple times. Very unprofessional.