Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 10, 2018

2.7

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2012.

Interview

Had initial phone screen interview, it was almost what everybody said here in glass door. Then had an onsite interview with Garmin fitness and Aviation. Fitness interview was very easy asked behavioral questions and a C program to do factorial of a number. Aviation interview was relatively hard with a puzzle and I had to explain a program which they had it in a piece of paper.

Interview Questions

• The puzzle was most difficult, I can't even remember what it was all about. I felt no one could answer it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

The first phone interview was a simple screening and gave me a chance to establish some expectations regarding the job and compensation.
    The second phone interview was with the would-be manager. He is very knowledgeable and asked decent questions that allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of software programming.
    The final interview was on-site with the manager and another developer. They showed me to a room, gave me a set of programming objectives, and sat me down in front of a laptop. This is probably the best and most effective way to demonstrate me knowledge of programming. I was comfortable the entire time and really enjoyed the task they gave me. Roughly after half an hour they came back in and put my code up on a projector where we then proceeded to discuss what i had concocted. We discussed my design pattern and the finer details like initialization list, constants, threads and memory management.

Overall it was a very positive process and the team there must be a talented bunch. The technical recruiter is also very responsive and made the whole thing run smoothly.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Windows CE/Embedded and a regular Windows OS?
      What is the difference between a mutex and a semaphore?
      How would you use the keyword mutable (C++)?   Answer Question

Accepted a competing offer. Pay was slightly below market.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Diamond Bar, CA).

Interview

Waited about 1 week to get contacted by HR after sending in the resume. The procedure then is pretty standard, started with HR phone screening, followed by technical phone interview, and finally in-person interview.
    The HR phone screening already asked some behavioral questions. The technical phone interview consists of OOP and C++ memory management questions. The on-site requires the applicant to solving a programming problem in OOP, then discussed some programming language keyword usage, and finally ended with a brain teasing question.
    In overall, the HR is very effective and responsive.

Interview Questions

• The brain teasing question is totally not related to coding, but one might be easily get stuck in computer mindset after doing the coding problem in the front.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied for a position in California through the Garmin website, was denied a position but invited to apply at their headquarters in Olathe, KS. Received an initial HR phone interview which was very basic and nothing to worry about. Mainly just normal resume review and a few basic technical questions (What is function overloading, what is a semaphore, a mutex).

A few days later I was invited to interview on-site. After a coupe weeks I flew there and interviewed with four different groups, primarily one-on-one. The interviews were not difficult, most of them starting with the manager describing their department and myself describing my background. Then we went into technical questions that were not at all challenging. I was able to solve the questions fairly quickly which left a decent amount of time at the tail end of the interview to ask some more specific questions of each interviewer as we waited for the next manager to arrive.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, write a function that returns the number of bits in the integer that are set.   2 Answers
    • Two people are walking down a tunnel, they are 1/3 of the way through the tunnel when they hear a train behind them. One of the people runs back towards the entry where they started and exits the tunnel just as the train is entering. The second person runs towards the exit where they were heading and exits just as the train is exiting the tunnel.

Relative to the people how fast is the train moving and how far away was the train when they heard it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Garmin (Overland Park, KS) in September 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was basically by HR. She asked me the basic HR questions. Got an email inviting for an onsite interview. They took care of all the accommodation. The same HR asked the same questions once again and if there was a change in compensation requirements. Later it was a group interview where 2 team leads interviewed me with basic C questions.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a code and asked me how I could optimize it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in January 2012.

Interview

I had three interviews with Garmin for three different positions in the company. Each interview consisted of questions asking me what I was looking for in a company, a set of technical questions (what is a pointer, etc.), and a software engineering puzzle I had to solve. Know your general terminology and be good at solving puzzles and you'll be set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

Did a phone interview, they then flew me in to Olathe for an in-person interview. Met with HR first, had lunch with another engineer, and then 2 interviews with 2 different groups [1 person for one group, 2 for the other].

Questions asked were computer science 101 level and led me to believe they were hiring for a junior or intern, not a senior or principal. This may have explained the interviewers I encountered as several didn't seem to be too senior in their knowledge areas. They also have no formal development methodology, no project management standards, etc. This was my take after a 4 or 5 hour interview that could have easily been done over the phone or skype.

Interview Questions

• Flip a bit in a uint32 using C.   3 Answers

Although the organization is successful, I felt the engineers and project managers I met were not on top of their game. Also, lunch in the lunch room reminded me of a funeral-- not a happy soul in sight. Compensation was far below industry, benefits were mediocre, personal work environments appeared very (!!!!) cramped and congested. Limited opportunity for personal and professional growth were my take from this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in February 2012.

Interview

They have a simple and yet complex way of hiring people. They will do a telephonic interview with HR at first and then will call you onsite. At onsite, they will arrange for meetings with different teams which have open positions. If any one of the team is interested in you. They will hire you! period. See how simple it seems - but the problem (at least what happened with me(check other people views)) is their HR is very very slow to react (if at all they do). I cracked each and every phase of the interview, the HR called me the very next day after the interview and said that they would like to go ahead and offer the job after a background check for which they need some specific details of mine. I waited for that email (of course i called and emailed) for a month without any result; at last I got hold of HR and asked for the reason of delay , HR replied- "Sorry! we decided not to go ahead with your application and we never got to start your BG check. I am sure I emailed you about this". The second sentence is what made me shocked. The least an interviewer can do is to update the interviewee for their efforts. It seemed very unprofessional for a company which I admire bcoz of their work.

Interview Questions

• All technical and HR questions were easy. The most difficult question for me was - would you like to relocate?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in December 2009.

Interview

The HR picked my resume at career fair and called me a month later for scheduling a telephonic HR interview. Within 2 weeks, i was called for a set of 3 tech interviews based on C and C++.

Negotiation

Salary negotiation with HR through email.