Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2018

2.7

Configuration Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in June 2017.

Interview

About two weeks after applying online on the Garmin website I was called by a recruiter who set-up a phone interview, which took place two days later. The phone interview was a basic screening call with a member from the HR department. There were questions that you would encounter in a basic interview about strengths, weaknesses, greatest challenge, resolving conflicts, etc. There was some technical questions that mostly focused on explaining basic programming concepts, much like on a test or quiz from college classes. Lastly, I was asked if I had any other offers from other companies.

About a week after the phone interview I received an email asking to schedule an on-site interview at Garmin in Olathe, Kansas. It was also requested of me to provide my latest performance review documents from my current employer, as well as two references.

The on-site interview lasted 2.5 hours and consisted of three parts; an HR interview, a technical interview, and a tour. The HR interview was with the same person who performed my phone interview and spent most of the time explaining to me how the benefits work, and asking if I had any questions about the benefits programs. This interview lasted about 30 minutes.

The technical interview was with three software developers; one was a manager, and the other two worked under the manager. This interview lasted about 1.5 hours and consisted of several questions, the important ones I have listed in the Interview Questions portion. In addition to the questions I listed, there were multiple programming concept questions, similar to the ones asked during the phone interview.

Something very important to note is that Garmin uses only C++ and not any other languages. When they asked my language set, I listed the 8 to 10 that I use in my current job, and the Garmin developers were not familiar with any of them (they only knew C++). Yet, they were adamant that I prove my proficiency in OOP, specifically C++, and were not concerned with much else. It gave the appearance, to me, that the software development at Garmin might be behind the times, and not moving forward with the industry.

After the technical interview was a tour of the campus that lasted about 30 minutes, after which I was dismissed. The building is very old with low lighting, and most offices are in the middle of the buildings without windows. There are often 3 to 4 employees sharing a small interior office. It was not very inviting.

I hope this experiences and observation is helpful to others.

Interview Questions

• What is multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever coded for multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • Are what are the advantages and disadvantages with multi-threading?   Answer Question
    • How familiar are you with C++ or other object oriented programming languages?   Answer Question
    • What is wrong with this code, and how can you improve it?
      (I was then handed a printed code block and handed a pen.)   Answer Question
    • Describe your latest programming project (you may draw on a white board if needed).   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Garmin?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
    • What programming languages are you familiar with?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in March 2012.

Interview

Got called by a recruiter. Got a phone screen. They flew me to Olathe and I was interviewed by 4 groups. At the time the money the recruiter was quoting me was not what I would have wanted but I needed a job so I went through the process. I'm going to say that one of the best things that ever happened to my career was not getting an offer there. About 3 weeks later I got an offer that was 50% higher than what I would have accepted there. The company that made the offer was not only a much larger company, one that is truly on the leading edge of technology but also a company that treats it's employees fanstastically.

I answered their technical questions correctly. However, one of the developers who interviewed me was openly hostile to me. He grilled me about polymorphism in C++ and I patiently explained to him about base classes, virtual functions, function signatures, and overriding methods. Even though my explanation was correct he wrote in his comments that I was confused. He took a completely hostile approach from the gitgo with his opening comments. He may or may not work there any longer but he probably does. The amusing part about this is that I have my doubts that they really write a lot of code in C++.

Also there was a form for reimbursement of incidental expenses. I filed the form but I never received a cent.

My impression of the software development teams was that they are competent but probably lack decent leadership which means that there are probably not as productive as they could be. Of course some of the groups that I interviewed with have probably cut back (like consumer electronics), not sure about the OEM (car infotainment work), and some are probably doing well like the marine equipment and avionics.

I think one should expect less pay than industry norms when working there. I would put them in the average category. Some interesting work perhaps but a fair amount of incompetance in managing resources.

They also asked me to bring a sample of my code. They never asked to look at it in the five hours I was there. Today, git might be something they use now to review your code samples.

Interview Questions

• They had do a logic puzzle. It wasn't hard and I think the interview though it would take me awhile but I did it in about 3 minutes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was very simple. I met up with a representative at a career fair at my school and then applied online. About a week later, I got an email to set up a phone interview. After that phone interview, I got another email to set up an onsite interview. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to the onsite interview, so it was done over Skype with a panel of people from Garmin. They asked a few behavioral questions and a few technical questions. All said, it was fairly easy and actually quite enjoyable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I probably was able to negotiate, but chose not to.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.

Interview Questions

• What is function overloading and overwriting?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions

• What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Interview was 2 part. The first part was a getting to know you phone interview, that assessed your knowledge of the company, your interests, anything that was on your resume, pretty standard interview. An in person interview was scheduled for a week later. The in person interview was more technically focused. There was a lot of discussion about previous projects, embedded systems, and more about the company itself. A programming assignment was given with 3 problems. They were all written in C. The first problem was a program the draws an exponential function on a Cartesian plane. There is a semicolon after the for loop that causes the function to run incorrectly. You are asked to explain what the program does, find the problem, then explain what it actually does with the added semicolon. The next two assignments are adding programs. An array is values is to be added. In the first problem the variable "int total" is not instantiated to 0, so it will have a crazy value. In the second instance pointers are used for the program. In the for loop where total would be incremented the pointer "p" was not dereferenced with an "*"

Interview Questions

• The question over the pointer is tricky, many young developers (including myself) have difficultly understanding and using pointers effectively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone screen by HR, technical phone interview by person in group. On site interview with any interested groups, pretty standard. Very smart people, and know what they are looking for in a candidate, which is refreshing. More interested in your background and abilities than ability to solve (memorize solutions to) mind melting puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Mostly background information from the resume. Each round had 2 technical questions.   Answer Question