Garmin Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Garmin Interview Questions

Interviews at Garmin

2.7

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin in May 2020.

Interview

I applied to Garmin due to a recommendation from a college friend who currently works there. I was initially impressed with the interview process. I applied on May 3, and received an email on May 5 from the recruiting coordinator that Garmin would like to interview me. The first interview was with the Recruiting team and was scheduled that same week (wow!). It was mostly HR related / "why do you want to work at Garmin" type of questions. One question had to do with what I thought my greatest strengths/weaknesses were and what I thought my previous employer would say about me. Overall, it was about 35 minutes, nothing technical and all open ended questions.

After that is when things started going downhill... The recruiter then said she would pass my resume to the Android team who would look it over and contact me if they wanted to set up a coding exercise. She said the coding exercise would probably be a small Android app and I would have 2-3 days to complete the task and show what I know. I was really excited about this because it seemed like I could actually show my knowledge with Android development and not some weird/abstract 45 min problem that so many other companies use that really have nothing to do with Android Development.

It took 2.5 weeks for Garmin to even get back to me about setting up the coding exercise. They emailed me a link for the problem and said I could use whatever language I wanted, but should probably use a language that is relevant to Android (e.g. Java/Kotlin). Despite the recruiter talking about the coding exercise being a small Android the project... the coding problem was a stupid 45 min weird/abstract problem that had very little to do with Android. On top of that - the problem was a C++ OOP problem, so the terminology was confusing for someone trying to show Java/Kotlin OOP. I haven't used C++ for a long time, and when I took the test the was terminology about Interfaces/subclasses/superclasses that don't translate from C++ to Java. (which made the prompt very confusing while in the middle of trying to complete the exercise).

After submitting my coding test, it took another 3 weeks to get an answer. I called the Recruiter about once a week to touch bases. She would never pick up the phone, but I would receive an email from her 10 minutes later, so I knew she was screening my phone calls and just not wanting to talk. At the end, despite me and the recruiter having a lot of correspondence, I received an automated email stating that I was no longer being considered for the role. (Talk about impersonal after making someone wait 6 weeks just to see if a technical interview could happen).

Overall, everything was great the first week. Prompt replies. Quick interview timelines. After the first week it turned into a communication nightmare and a waste of 7 weeks of my life. If you interview for Garmin as a Android Developer who uses Kotlin - be prepared for a garbage coding question that makes no sense in terms of Java OOP.

Interview Questions

• Create a class hierarchy to classify numeric values with interface Number.
      Define subclasses WholeNumber and RealNumber.
      WholeNumber has subclasses EvenNumber and OddNumber.
      For each integer in the inclusive range 0 to 10 descending, create a new instance of the appropriate number subclass and add it to an STL structure that supports efficient insertion and retrieval.
      Efficiently iterate your container and print the numeric value and whether the object is an EvenNumber, OddNumber, or RealNumber for each object.
      Efficiently locate the object with the smallest value not less than 9.5 and print its value.
      All your interactions with objects should be through the Number interface.   1 Answer

Software Developer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

I had one phone interview and one coding interview. The coding interview was done a week after the phone interview. Interviewer was nice and answered my questions about the company

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Garmin? Why did you study computer science?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Got a call from HR the day after applying for the position. The call was to set up an interview with someone from HR. After that was told that if the manager was interested, a technical phone screening request would be made (about a week later). Then if pass the technical phone screening, it would lead to an onsite interview with other members of the team.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Phone interview. Then an in-person interview with multiple people from the team. Finally, the manager of the team. It was laid back and comfortable interview. Took a tour of the campus also.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Garmin (Brea, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

I got a call from the company's recruiters very soon after submitting my resume to their career website. The recruiters are all out of state as Garmin has many locations around the US . She recommended me a different position from the original one I applied for. Next was an online programming test in C++. I believe I completed the C++ tasks decently within time limit. However, 3 days later, I received an email stating that they could not offer me a position and encouraged me to keep checking their career website for new positions.

Interview Questions

• Write from scratch the C++ classes for a game. Time limit: 1 hour   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Tempe, AZ) in March 2020.

Interview

The Interview process was a formal technical interview with some senior software engineers. They asked you to describe the way you think and analyze various code segments. This was used to screen potential canidates for a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical interview was pretty basic, with questions on recursion, pointers, and references. We were given code segments and asked to analyze the output   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin.

Interview

Easy-going, typical internship interview (career goals, course work, etc.). First met with recruiter, got and on-campus interview. Received a call about one week later with an offer and was given a couple of weeks to accept.

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2020.

Interview

Interview process was a 3-tier system that involved meeting with multiple levels of management and HR. Took about 2 weeks before an offer was made official. Many questions were asked, but more than anything, they were looking to discover my ambitions and to see if there was a fit for me within the established workforce.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did not understand specifically what the resolution to a problem was and how you overcame that obstacle. Typical interview question.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2020.

Interview

Basic HR questions, technical skills are questioned in the interview. I was asked about my coding background, team background, and basic personality questions. Overall the interview was basic and half of the interview was them telling me about Garmin.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you were part of a team and how did you contribute to the overall success of the team?   Answer Question

Entry Level Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Garmin (Olathe, KS) in February 2020.

Interview

Got an invite to a phone interview with HR. Was actually really excited about the whole thing myself. Asked basic behavioral questions. Then proceeded to go down my resume. Asked my gpa, which was slightly less than a 3.0, rejected me on the spot despite having 2 years of SWE experience. In her words "GPA matters more than experience" HA human *** grep. oh well, next.

Interview Questions

• What is the kind of team and work environment that suits you the best?   Answer Question