General Mills Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Logistics Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process at General Mills was great from the moment they flew me out of Tennessee to giving me a box of Lucky Charms ( My favorite) at the end. Everyone who I spoke to was extremely friendly and welcoming. The process began with breakfast with a previous LMA who had nothing but good things to say about the company followed by 3 behavioral interviews with members from the Supply Chain team whom were very knowledgeable in their discipline. Then we ate lunch with another LMA graduate who was a pleasure to meet as well. I would recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a great company with sound values. HQ was awesome, cool offices and meeting rooms. I had a great experience and appreciate the invite and opportunity to interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you learn and standardized a process for future use?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a decision with limited information?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter who set up a phone interview with a current employee in the division. The phone interview was started by them asking me to go through my resume, and followed by several behavioral questions asking for a situation, task, action, and result. I was then asked to come in for a series of four 30 minute interviews. Prior to the in person interview I had to take a personality and deductive reasoning test. The interviews all followed the exact same line of behavioral questions as the phone interview. I then was informed by the recruiter via email I was not chosen for the position.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2017.

Interview

Each session of the interview went smoothly and on time. Everyone was very friendly and professional. I learned a lot about the company and position. They seemed to have a positive attitude towards the company.

Bakery Training Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Rogers, AR) in August 2017.

Interview

The entire process went smoothly and I was made feel at ease through each and every step. I could actually be myself and not feel intimidated by no one. I did 2 face to face interviews and 2 phone interviews and 1 Skype interview throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your retail job?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you had to deliver some news to a group of people that you knew was not going to be accepted very well by the recipients?   1 Answer

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

Entire process from first screening to received offer took roughly 4 weeks. Two rounds of interviews. First round was with a Sr Associate Marketing Manager (45 minute interview over the phone). Second round was an in-person interview day at the Minneapolis Campus which lasted 3 hours. Between the two rounds, I was instructed to take two personality tests and a reasoning test which took an hour.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do prioritize tasks?

2. Tell me about a time when you made a risky decision and what was the outcome?

3. Tell me about a time when you used data to reach a conclusion.

4. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty.   1 Answer

Audio Visual (AV) Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at General Mills (Minneapolis, MN) in July 2017.

Interview

After completing the online application , I was invited to a 30min phone interview, and later a 3-1/2 hr in-person interview with 4 back-to-back interviewers. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming. I even got a swag bag with several General Mills products to take home, including a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. My favorite!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a compliment, why you were complimented, and why did you appreciated the compliment.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online with an employee referral after finding job on Indeed. After getting contacted by HR I had a phone interview that was around 30 minutes. Communication with HR associates was sporadic and I received out of office emails from people that asked me to respond to schedule requests. I had to fill out my profile including job history for a second time, complete 2 personality tests and a logic test. The onsite interview process was great and took around 4 hours.

Interview Questions

• The logic test was very difficult and tricky. It is timed and you have about 2 minutes per question.   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online in early June, and was contacted 1 week later by a recruiter. My 30-minute phone interview was scheduled for a week later with a Marketing Manager. It was very structured (walk through resume, 3-4 behavioral/situational questions, and some brief time at the end for any questions you may have). You must respond is STAR format (situation, task, action, result). It is important with CPG companies to focus on your action and result, and spend less time with your situation. Be concise.

1 week after my phone interview, I was contacted by another recruiter, who called to ask for my availability to interview in person. I chose the earliest date possible, which was 1 week later (to take place 4 weeks after my initial application). I was then sent a formal invitation to interview at WHQ and given tasks to complete before the interview. You are asked to complete an additional application directly with General Mills, which is very much the same as the online application form. You must also complete a Hogan Personality assessment, focusing on motives, values, and preferences. It is approximately 300 questions, as another reviewer stated, and can be competed quickly as long as you are answering truthfully about yourself. Additionally, you must take a CEB Deductive Reasoning assessment (ex: Dan, Sam, and Peter are standing in line. Dan is not behind Peter. Sam is last in line. Who is standing first in line?). In my opinion, this is the most challenging part, the questions will use verbal set-ups (some quite lengthy) as well as charts, and you must quickly come to a conclusion; the example I provided is extremely easy compared to the line of questioning you will be facing. You are given 20 minutes to complete 18 questions. I am not a strong test taker, as I am highly visual; I do well with patterned deductive reasoning tests, but verbal ones take time for me to map out. Have scratch paper available. If you are similar to me, I strongly suggest taking practice quizzes until you can comfortably answer these types of questions in 1 minute or less. Be prepared. Many CPG companies will not even consider your interview, no matter how stellar it may be, if you do not perform to their standards on these tests.

A couple of days prior to my interview, I was provided an itinerary. You will be greeted by a Recruiting Manager, who will walk you to your first "interview." If you are scheduled for an AM interview, the first 30 minutes involves grabbing a drink from Caribou and walking the building with a current Marketing Associate. Dive into questions about the role, remember, you want to make sure this position is the right fit for you. You can be candid with the MA but also remain focused on your task and treat it as an interview - you should put your best foot forward. I have read in other reviews that you will meet with 3-4 Senior Marketing Managers after your coffee host interview, however, I was only met with 2. Each interview is in the exact same 30-minute structured format as the phone interview. After my 2 interviews, I was then escorted to the front of the building by the Recruiting Manager, given a GM goodie bag, and told I would hear back in a week, and if not, then the front end of the following week.

After 2 weeks of silence (6 weeks since my initial application), I assumed I did not get selected, hearing nothing from HR. I took it upon myself to reach out with a brief and clear "check-in" e-mail, highlighting my continued interest in the company and inquiry into next steps, as the lack of response seemed lengthy for the timeline which was given to me. About an hour later, I received the standard rejection email.

Job seeking is a highly stressful time for candidates, and takes great preparation to be ready for an interview. I would give my experience as fully positive, if not for the lack of attention in getting back to me promptly. To be fair, I believe it is common practice for large companies to leave rejected candidates wondering, due to the high volume of applications they receive. They will vigorously pursue the candidates whom they choose, and others will quite probably be forgotten. Due to the quick rejection I received after my e-mail, I assume this was the case. However, in my personal experience with other large companies, I usually received an answer in no later than a week, negative or positive, so comparatively, it took General Mills more time. Do not lose patience though, and always be respectful in all of your correspondence. HR is working hard to get the right candidates in the door.

Interview Questions

• What is a brand that is doing well? What is a brand that is not doing well?   1 Answer
    • What is the most challenging analytical project you have worked on?   1 Answer
    • Tell me abut a time you were given a broad task and asked to come up with a solution.   1 Answer
    • How do you prioritize tasks with multiple competing deadlines?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with or manage a multi-functional team.   Answer Question

HR Representative Interview

Application

Interview

First, I had the over the phone interview. During the in person interview I met with about 6 different individuals. From the HR supervisor to the HR director.
    I got free lunch, however I was asked by one individual if I had kids. Although it was a casual conversation, I was surprised.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your manager?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current position?   1 Answer
    • What do you like the least about your current position?   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Interview

The Talent Acquisition team has been terrific. They have been insightful into company culture, history, the HR function and the specific role. Their process is high efficiency yet high touch. I've found them very responsive following through on their commitments and doing this in a timely manner to keep the process moving forward. One telling example: I received reimbursement for interview expenses in 5 days .

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at General Mills.

Interview

There were no openings when I submitted my resume but I wanted to get across someone's desk to proactively make some connections before the next Marcom Manager position became available. A recruiter reached out to me and I chatted with him and a current Marcom employee over the phone. I was vetted for the "potential candidates for next opening" pool and had great conversations and was told to hold tight because they anticipated some openings shortly. Their feedback to me was positive and that they thought I'd be a great fit from both experience and cultural standpoints and they'd be in touch when something opened. However when the position did post, I found out through my own research on their site. Contacted the recruiter and he was passive about my inquiry, responding "apply if you are interested and I'll send your resume to the hiring manager, have a good day!" This response was in stark contrast to his assertive and positive outlook on getting me in during the pipelining/vetting process. Super disappointing. This company was top of my list amongst the other top companies in MN, a lot due in part to my positive interactions with this recruiter and how he represented General Mills. After his most recent response, I was left surprised and confused...especially when he went dark in communication.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background, what are you looking for, what experience do you have rolling out communication plans, what's is your desired salary, etc.   Answer Question