Guitar Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 29, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Relaxed. If you are a good fit for the job the interview will go very smooth. Just be yourself. You will be selling products to customers so you better be able to sell yourself and be likable. Don't act like an idiot.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in the music industry?   3 Answers

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! We sincerely appreciate it!

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Plano, TX).

Interview

The process took about 6 weeks but the interview was super laid back. The managers who interviews me were exceptionally nice. No difficult questions were asked. I was asked about my knowledge of music and gear amd how I would handle specific situations. They made me feel completely comfortable.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

First, they will call you to set up a phone interview. Then almost immediately afterwards they'll schedule you an in-person interview a week out from your phone interview. The actual interview isn't much, you'll almost immediately get hired on and given a start date. You'll need to take a drug test within that same day as your interview.
    They're constantly hurting for help and will hire almost anyone.
    Starting pay is $12/hour or $12.50 if you drive. These rates are non-negotiable.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a conflict between you and a co-worker?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Interview

Interview

it was a very simple, fast procedure.. introductions at first... then asked about past experience and current availability. i got hired on the spot. started after back round check was completed.

Sales and Repair Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview and it was the most insulting interview I have ever had. Whoever was the idiot who came up with this idea needs to be put in a line up and have their credentials revoked. I almost walked out as I was so furious. It's just a stupid part time retail job. Once I got home, I went to the site and removed my app from consideration.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Scottsdale, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

I called the hiring manager when I first arrived to let them know the front door was locked. While on the phone with him, a lady opened the door and said to come back later because they had a random "conference call" to attend. While she started saying this, the manager I was on the phone with said someone was coming to the door to let me and the other interviewee in, so I relied "she's here, thank you." When I said that, the woman stopped everything, paused for what seemed like an eternity and gave me a horrible look, like I had purposefully interrupted her, treating me like I was a child and embarrassing me infront of the guy who was also being interviewed. When she finally continued, she told us both that we'd have to wait, which normally wouldn't be an issue if she hadn't been so rude. I went to my car and called the hiring manager again to let him know I was no longer interested in the position if that's how the woman acted toward people. Who would want to work for someone like that? Treating me like I was below her before I even accepted the position. I can only imagine what her employees have to deal with on a daily basis. So, not only did they disrespect my time, by failing to at least call before rescheduling our appointment and letting me drive all the way up there just to be turned away so rudely, but they also let this "director" disrespect me as a person, much less an employee, before the interview even started. I heard from different sources that Guitar Center was a difficult place to work because of the low wages and toxic atmosphere, but I learned first hand that the latter is definitely true. Later on, the district manager called me to personally apologize and offer me another interview, to which I declined.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Easy going interview just be yourself, try to sell yourself as the person you are not the person you think they want you to be. Good luck, dress nice but comfortable

Interview Questions

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback! We sincerely appreciate it!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (New York, NY).

Interview

Taken to management office to speak with the managers. Asked me standard questions, and some questions to see my interest in the field i was applying for. Nice people and non offensive interview.

Interview Questions

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on the interview process. We really appreciate it!

Bilingual Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2017.

Interview

met with one person for a minute then had human resource director offer me a job on the spot. I was hired within one week and then had three weeks training my class started with 33 people six graduated and to have lasted 90 days I am one of them until today I quit.

Interview Questions

• do you have experience in customer service handling complaints?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Went online, applied for four positions at two different locations. Called the store managers to follow up. Scheduled an interview. Was fairly laid back. Didn't feel pressured. They were pretty honest about what the job was like, although they did exaggerate the pay and commission to make it seem like you can make a descent living there.

Interview Questions

• Explain the differences between different series of guitars of the same manufacturer and model (for example, the differences between a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Custom, Studio, Traditional, Classic, etc.)   Answer Question