H E B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2018

2.5

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (New York, NY).

Interview

The interviews are usually group interviews, from there you are called back by whichever department manager wants you. They ask you general questions, including what is the one thing you would not like to do at the company.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H E B (Spring, TX) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview was a group interview of about twenty applicants. The applicants sat at several small table creating small groups. We were asked to complete ridiculous task none of which seemed relevant to the interview or gaining a better understanding of myself as a potential employee. The whole interview process took about an hour to complete. In the end three young people were chosen; a white male a black male and a hispanic non speaking english female. It gave a loud impression that H.E.B. was filling a quota and not really interviewing applicants. I talked with the other applicants and they also walked away with similar impressions. Don't waste your time with this group interview.

HR Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H E B.

Interview

Process was typical but not really organized. Initial phone screen with recruiter followed by interview with a potential peer. Interview was followed by another interview on a different day with that group's leader. I then interviewed with two sets of potential peers that reported to that group leader. Depending on who you interviewed with, you would either get someone that was really trying to get to know you or someone that kept their eyes glued to the interview guide. At one point, I felt as though they were not getting to know me but going through the motion of the interview...aka wasting both of our times. After that...never heard from the recruiter or a final result...even if it was a turn down. Candidate experience is very important. Extremely rude to not return calls or follow up.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary with the questions. Very scenario based. They are very sensitive to their culture...they live in the gray. Very pro-employee and willing to give them second chances. Questions like tell me about a time you challenged another peer or leader, describe a time when you faced a challenging employee relations situation, etc.   Answer Question

Seafood Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westmoreland, NY

Interview

It’s a group interview, so be prepared to know all things good! Also doesn’t hurt to wear suit and tie! Interviewers are nice and it’s a great company to work for ie benefits, pay and work environment

Checker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H E B (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I gave them my resume online and they called back a day later to schedule an interview. They rescheduled the interview once, for 3 days later after the weekend.

It was a group interview. There were just under 40 people in one room (maybe closer to 30...)

One by one in no particular order (I went first) we were asked to stand and announce our names, what we had applied for, and the place we would like to live most in the world.

Then we got put in groups of 4, and we're asked to draw a picture of our team working cohesively in our applied for roles. We took turns drawing and we also came up with a team name (which was asked of us) - Family was our name. This was over 10 minutes.

After we presented and explained our drawings as a group, we were sent out to the break room for 10 minutes to come up with a jingle.

We chose:

HEB!
    you and me!
    family friendly?
    yes indeed!

Then we came back into the room, and we're dismissed after learning that we would be called back within 1 day if we had been chosen (whether for another round of interviews or training I am unsure).

Interview Questions

• Come up with a jingle to present to us (in groups of 4).   Answer Question
    • Tell us your name, what you're applying for, and where would you like to live most in the world?   Answer Question
    • Draw a picture of you and your team (3 other people) working in your jobs.   1 Answer

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

Very quick and to the point. I declined the job. I realized after the interviewer quickly made it clear the "part time" position i was interviewing for would be more like full time without the benefits. Basically they would work me up to 39 hours and but make sure i never hit 40. Companies do this to avoid having to give benefits. He didnt flat out say this, but it was obvious. HEB is a great company but i wouldnt recommend this as a "part time" job. If you need a consistent schedule, go for the literal full time position and get your benefits. I spoke with others who had this as part time and they confirmed they had many weeks where they worked 35+ hours as part timers. On a side note, the interviewer didnt seem to like that i had a sleeve tattoo down to my wrist. Its mostly flowers, it isnt anything remotely offensive and can by covered up with a long sleeve shirt. He got snobby after he saw it and immediately asked "do you regret that yet?" To which i simply answered no. Anyways, if youre taking the job i advise you make sure you're getting a full time position and not a 39 hour part time one.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle stressful situations, can you consistently lift more than 30 pounds, etc. Basically questions pertaining to if you're fit enough to stock all night at a steadily fast pace.   Answer Question

Bagger Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B in January 2018.

Interview

Basically it is a 2 part group interview. First part was you had to state your name, why you wanted to work there, and your hobbies—it is a volunteer process so make sure to be one of the first ones to make a good impression! Second part was that you had to sell the interviewer an item from the table and convince them to buy it. That was pretty much it, my advice for any person seeking a position at H-E-B is to put yourself out there and don’t show that you’re nervous! Smile also, appearance is a big one.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crosby, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H E B (Crosby, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

Received a call back a few days after applying to come in for a group interview. Staff was very friendly and upbeat! Mostly scenario questions and one group activity. Overall about 15 minutes. Got a call back within 30 minutes after leaving to come in that same day for a one-on-one interview. After a brief interview with the hiring manager I was offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an irate customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer and/or a time you received excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Meat Clerk Interview

Interview

If in a group interview stand out by be the first to answer questions and there team exqurices be the spokes person for the team ask questions just stand out and be dress nice

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when u got great customer service   1 Answer

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H E B (Round Rock, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

very nice light . Mangers were nice and very talkative easy to talk to. Perfect for college student cheaper gas and food yay ! So i would recommend that you apply

Interview Questions

• how to deal with angry customer   1 Answer