McMaster-Carr Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2017

2.7

Design and Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

The phone interview started with an overview of what the company does after which you're prompted as to whether you'd like to continue or not. The interview was relaxed, just a standard phone interview where they asked broad questions about your background and why you wanted to work at the company.

Merchandising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I applied for a different position, but was contacted about this one via email. The phone interview was fairly easy, but I had no experience with this particular position.

Interview Questions

• It was all typical phone interview questions, nothing really stood out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

The interviews themselves are each 45 minutes and very easy - my only complaint was that the day was too long (5 hours) and each interviewer more or less asked the same questions. Just know your resume well and ask good questions about their business. Perhaps look up how distribution centers work before arriving onsite.

My impression of the company is that it's a rather strange place to work. As other reviews have mentioned, they're weirdly obsessed with "brand name" schools and will hire soft majors from those as opposed to well-qualified engineers from a good state school. In fact, I don't believe they even recruit from non brand name schools. The work itself doesn't seem particularly interesting - it's more about making small improvements/tweaks to their business model. The employees seem more concerned with how great the work/life balance is and their pay and benefits (which frankly aren't as high as they think they are). Overall, I'd describe working at this company as "just a job".

Development and Design Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in October 2017.

Interview

As other people have said, I was reached out to over email by a recruiter that claimed to have found my resume on my school's job board. They asked if I would be interested in a phone call, and when I wasn't very responsive I got texts from them as well asking me to answer (my phone number and email are both on my resume). Ultimately I did schedule the phone interview because it felt rude to ignore, and the whole thing took 30 minutes. The first half was them explaining the company and position to me and taking my questions, and then they asked if I was interested in continuing and if they could ask me a few questions. So clearly you're put on the spot here, even if you aren't interested you kinda just have to keep going. They started with why I picked my university (honestly such a dumb question when you go to one of the most elite schools in the country, like isn't it pretty obvious why I chose it), and then asked about a time working with a group/developing leadership skills, and then they asked about when I came up with a creative solution to a problem. They also asked earlier in the call what I was looking for in a job post-graduation. They had me fill out some forms over email, and then a week later I got the rejection email. Truly a weird situation, not sure why they go through people's resumes who aren't even interested in applying but at least it was some interview practice!

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It's as everyone describes below. A day long affair from one interviewer to the next. They reached out to me, got the phone interview that same day, and was offered an in-person the following week. I had a fun time. The staff was extremely friendly and the interviewers were very enjoyable to talk to. They really want to get to know you and how your brain works so they ask you thought provoking questions meant to see your thought processes. They offer a very competitive salary and benefits, so they obviously want somebody who is capable of handling and thinking through challenging issues and tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why do we use different shipping companies to send out our products? Why not just use one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

One phone call. Then an on site interview with 3 different managers and a tour of the facility. Pretty standard behavioral questions were asked. They appreciate inquisitive people and wanted to see how I thought and approached problems. Offered a bunch of new ideas.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's the biggest thing from finance you learned?   1 Answer

Merchandising Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Interviewed at McMaster Carr after applying by online and sending an email to their recruiting email. Got a phone interview that very same week. The phone interview was very straightforward and asked a lot of questions about my previous position and what I look for in a salary. Shortly afterwards, I was asked to come to McMaster Carr for an in-person interview. Now, I felt weird coming in as, as soon as I was in (though the receptionist was very nice) I heard profanity while I was filling out my application. Paid it no mind, kept filling out the application. I was lead back once it was finished. A few red flags popped for me though. 1) The floor was not diverse at all. It was a little unsettling because the factory behind the scenes was. I don't want to say that this was a 'colorist' experience but it felt like it a bit. 2) I was told after meeting with the HR Rep that none of the managers were available that day (I had already read on Glassdoor that the interviews took either 2 hours or all day so for it to be admitted to me that no one was available but her....very unprofessional). I held my tongue through the whole process and went on, letting the interview commence but I was pretty sure this place wasn't a good fit for me. The interview lasted on 30 minutes and I was told that I would get a call the week after with an update. Just today I received no call, just an email stating that they would be seeking other candidates. I wasn't surprised and had already decided to not accept the offer if presented. This job did not seem like it was very orthodox at all and has earned all of my negative graces. I will never apply again.

Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Arlington Heights, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

- 30 minute phone call
    - discussed prior work history
    - discussed
    - discussed work
    discussed benefits package

Interview was polite, but formulaic. The interviews were typical (30 min phone screen, brief e-mail exchange, 2 hour in person interview). 2 weeks in between phone screen and in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Interesting question: Why did you choose to go to your specific University?   1 Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Two recruiters take you around the warehouse, then to the offices upstairs to conduct the interview. They also have you respond to a "customer inquiry," and have you look for the item on their company website. Then they have you respond to the customer via email. Overall, the interview process took an hour and half.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in a supervisor?   1 Answer

Business Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

A local recruiter emailed me using the resume I posted on a job site. I was skeptical at first, but decided to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was a basic screening and concluded with an invite to interview in person. The in person interview lasted a total 3 hours. It was very traditional in that I came in suited up and immediately presented with a paper application. After I turned in my application, the recruiter gave me a tour of the facility with stops in between for interview questions.

Following the tour, I was led into a small interview room with a catalog and computer. I was interviewed by the recruiter, HR Manager, then a Regional Manager. Then I was instructed to run through a customer service scenario, verbally discuss my response, and type a mock email to customer. The exercise requires you listen to an audio from a past customer call. If I remember correctly, the customer had purchased an industrial cart but the wheel was damaged. You have to discuss a solution with interviewer and email the customer. I was called 2 days later with an offer to join the company.

Interview Questions

• This role is not a management role, knowing that, where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question