McMaster-Carr Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McMaster-Carr Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.7

General Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

The Recruiter came across my resume and contacted me. I had not applied for the position. She didn't explain the role well, just that it was a management position. Some of the interview questions were worded strangely.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Its a five hour interview. No seriously, you're there all day. Different layers of management shuffle in and out asking the same questions. Trust me, you dont want to work there. Trust your gut. Trust these awful reviews.

Interview Questions

• You ok with never getting promoted?   1 Answer

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Robbinsville, NJ).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Indeed. She sent me a message giving me an overview of the management program and asked if we could connect. She set up a phone call within the next day after I responded. What I thought was a phone screen quickly turned into a phone interview which I was not prepared for but I did well as she immediately asked if I could come up for an on-site interview. I was definitely surprised that having just connected she was willing to do that but I agreed. What I did not like was how vague she was when I asked more about the company and the type of person they're looking for. I also got some off-putting questions about what colleges I had applied to (that was 8 years ago!!) and why I settled on the college I did (top 20 school). Anyway, I went along with it and they set up my interview for the following week on a Friday and all the details were completed by HR within a few hours. I was very surprised at how quickly everything moved, given that I still didn't know almost anything about the company.
    I was flow in Thursday night and was taken to the office Friday morning. The HR rep was I incredibly nice and polite and handled my whole day. I was there from about 8:30-2 PM. I had a guided tour, three separate interviews, and lunch with the younger guy who did my tour. The first interview was fine, nice guy, family oriented and typical STAR questions. The second one was very odd, stern lady who asked me very specific questions about how I would reorganize their catalog (at this point I still have almost no knowledge about company), and a third guy who ended up telling me war stories of his time there.
    Overall, very strange experience. During the tour, the guide stopped a couple of times and would say "how would you make this more efficient?" about something we had literally just walked over to. I was very confused since it was supposed to be informational for me. Every single interviewer and the tour guide also brought up that a lot of people leave the company and attrition is high- whether that's them trying to be transparent or not, it's still awkward as an interviewee.

Afterwards, I received a 3 sentence rejection email and when I asked for feedback, they said they don't do that. So quite honestly, I feel like they're looking for a very specific personality that will fit into their little box. In the aftermath, I'm glad I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current job?
      Why McMaster?
      What colleges did you apply to and what made you choose your major?
      Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter got my details and reached out to set a phone interview. The call was about 30 minutes and covered the basics - just went through the resume, talked about experiences, talked about the company and the position, etc. After the phone screen scheduled a in person interview for 2 weeks later

Development and Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

Applied online through my university's Handshake service. Received a phone call a couple days later by a recruiter, asking to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was given an offer to be flown onsite, but I declined based on bad reviews of the company across the internet.

Development and Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr.

Interview

I sent them my resume and got an email reply the next day to set up a phone interview. They ultimately said they decided to pursue those with skills that best fit their needs instead.

Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL).

Interview

I got an email from one of their recruiters asking for an interview.
    Brief 20-minute phone interview.
    In-Person interview took about 2 hours and I was given a tour of the warehouse then met with three recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Q: Give an example where you had to have a good attention to detail?
      Q: Describe a situation where you were given negative feedback?
      Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (New York, NY).

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter wanting to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was about 20 minutes. I was really looking for more clarity about what the role was and what they were looking for in their management trainees, but I didn't get much information. The interview was quite difficult because I was having a hard time anticipating qualifications to speak on that they would actually care about because I didn't really know what the position was.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr in January 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a phone screen. Very nice lady and she asked me basic questions like why I want to work at Mcmaster-Carr, what experiences do I have with management. They are going to fly me out to Los Angeles next week for the next part of the interview. I hear that it is a very strange process and feels nothing like a traditional interview.

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McMaster-Carr (Elmhurst, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

[TL;DR - Alright location, seemingly strong benefits, okay culture, and cohesive environment; go in with a laser focus and talk up your skills and how they fit perfectly with everything you see and you'll be fine.]

I was contacted by email by a recruiter who found me via university career development. I expressed interest in a phone interview, and it was scheduled quickly and was straightforward--largely a review of my resume and selling me on the position. I expressed my interest in hearing more and was told I would hear back in a week if the process would move forward.

The next morning I was contacted again to set up an onsite interview at their headquarters. I managed to delay it to the next week (scheduling around another interview), so they are flexible that way. For those who live a substantial distance from the site, they will fly you out and pay for a car. For those closer by, they will pay for a car service to transport you. The process began with filling out an application. By this point, my name was being floated for both the management and design groups, so focusing my work history and experiences was highly non-trivial. I would recommend being prepared with references and phone numbers if you are recruited like this. I received a final itinerary for my day, including who I would meet and when. Each person was described with their role/background, as well as the university(ies) from which they obtained their degree(s), which I thought was odd. Each interview was scheduled for 45 minutes with short breaks in between.

The first interview was with an HR staff member who was not my recruiter (in fact, I never saw the recruiter all day). The content was another resume overview but was primarily discussing the position, to sell it like in the phone interview. Some questions here and throughout the day seemed like they were trying to see how much I knew about the program and the company already, but researching the role like this is impossible with their prerogative of remaining as secretive as legally possible.

I then met a graduate of the management trainee program, who was a current manager of a few supervisors in the warehouse area. He was pleasant, but highly interested in me asking questions at every moment. It was a hurried tour of the building, followed by a hurried interview. (In general, it seemed like the combined interview day was a bad idea.) I met with a design department manager (~10-15 years experience) next, who had a great perspective about design and team structure. He didn't delve very deeply into the types of work and functions that were performed by design/development training hires, so I left with a vague idea of the job basics. This was a pleasant interview, although I thought there was a huge focus on hard skills gained from otherwise-irrelevant prior experience (e.g. R&D) that one might expect when recruiting engineers. Not enough discussion of personality and soft skills, especially for a generalist position like that for which they appear to be hiring.

My second-to-last interview was a free lunch with two recent grads of their respective development programs. They asked some questions about my career goals, and I asked some more personal questions about the jobs they did (experiences with supervisors, day-to-day tasks). This seemed to generate mixed responses: some facial expressions saying "why would you ask that?" to seemingly innocuous questions and others seemingly congratulating me on the great question.

The last interview was a strange twist. This was with a director (if I remember correctly) who didn't look a day over 25 and had quite a pretentious demeanor. Questions began without any softies, to the effect of "why should I think your name on the recruiter's desk is worth anything?". Not such a great way to end. He asked some company-aggrandizing questions (worded hypothetically, but which I was meant to answer, I learned) about why the MMC business/free returns model works. I asked a few questions after about the business, trying to appease his ego, but was also eager to leave after my day. Generally, a pleasant but bizarre experience, with quite the punctuation from young-wünderdirektor.

I ended up not receiving an offer (learned a week and two days later), and I honestly cannot say I would have taken it if I had. It would at least have been an easy decision for me (given that I received my dream offer the same day as the MMC interview) but for those out there interested in this program, think long and hard about it. I had seen the reviews going in, and while they do appear exaggerated from my experience, it is a strange place with some highly quirky personas. Applicant Beware.

Interview Questions

• Why should I consider hiring YOU out of everyone we have?   2 Answers
    • What was a good experience you had at a former job, and what was a negative about the same place?   Answer Question
    • What interests you in this position (for both the management and design/development positions)?   Answer Question