Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 7, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The interview process was very formal. I applied through a University recruiting process, received an on campus interview, and then attended final round of interviews in Atlanta Headquarters. The pre-assessment was challenging and had both math and high vocabulary elements. Everyone throughout the process was very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions

Norfolk Southern Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the process and efforts involved in becoming an NS employee. We hope you have found your new career rewarding!

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Birmingham, AL) in December 2017.

Interview

The process starts out with a pretty extensive online application. After that I was scheduled for a telephone interview with an HR representative. She asked me about my resume and a few traditional behavioral questions. I am now scheduled to go to an in-person interview where I will meet with senior leaders from the Transportation Department and also an HR rep.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle being in charge of someone who has worked on the railroad for 20-25 plus years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when leadership was shown in a previous job?   Answer Question

Block Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

Short talk about the job description, benefits, pay and training with a hiring manager and supervisor. 35 WPM typing test. Hard to get job. Very good pay. Test looked similar to other positions at hiring sessions. Arrive early. Dress professional. Push in your chair. You still may not get the job. But try to be the best regardless.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The interview process was not difficult. No technical questions were asked, and there was a strong focus on leadership. The interviewer was also friendly and easy to talk to. Overall, I had a good experience.

Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

There are many steps to the interview process. First, you apply (of course), then a skills test, and a phone interview/screening. Afterwards, you will get an invitation to a two-day interview appointment at the office.

The first day is a panel discussion with the current employees to discuss the position and answer questions. During the second day, you attend your scheduled interview with two panels of 4, one formal and one supposedly informal, and job shadow with a current employee and manager. The interviews asked basic questions and go over your resume. No surprises. Everyone was nice and friendly.

They constantly said to be coachable, But what stood out to me was when one of the people on the panel said they don't normally hire people off the street, meaning they might give priority to hiring the prior interns or hiring internally over people who are qualified to do this bill collecting job. The position was reposted to the website a couple weeks later.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Fort Wayne, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

As described in many comment here, we started promptly at 8:00am. There were a little over 100 of us in this hiring session. Make sure you get there early and make sure you sit up front so you can hear everything in the brief. Again, as described numerous times, they beat the drum on life style change and drug tests. After the brief was complete, we were sent out on break. I believe only a few people left. Then you are required to take an 88 question test within 70 minutes. Some questions were covered reading comprehension and technical/mathematical questions. The majority of the questions were personality driven, ie... "if you see a senior co-worker committing an unsafe act you would tell a supervisor". Select "strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, strongly agree". After the test was complete, we waiting in the lounge until the "interview list" was posted. Only 43 of us were selected to remain behind for interviews. They pulled us back into the conference room and briefed us on the interview process. There were 3 tables with 2 interviewers per table. Each interview lasted roughly 10-15 minutes. Again, as mentioned many times, bring food and coffee! I was the last one on the list to be interviewed and I was not alone with my hunger situation!

Interview Questions

• They asked a couple of questions regarding my resume. Asked if I was completely done with the military or would be required to go back. Then I was asked to name a time where there was a safety incident at work and how did I impact the correcting of the issue/what action did I take to mitigate it from happening again. Apparently, I made the cut as I received a conditional offer 2 days later.   Answer Question

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the conductor trainee recruiting and hiring process. We're creating new processes around our agreement hiring that will help reduce those awkward hunger situations. We... More

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Talked to recruiters at a campus event. They liked me and texted me the next day to setup a phone interview. Very short and behavioral. They then flew me out to Atlanta (headquarters) for a final interview with 2 interviewers and a company presentation.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Allentown, PA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, recieved a email a few days later inviting me to a "Hiring session".

On the date of the session i arrived fairly early. It was about 50-60 people in the room, we watched a conductor job discription video and went over some Q&A regarding the position. Testing about 10 am. We were givin 1 1/2 to finish and then told to come back after 12 to and check the list on the door to see if your name is on the list. if your name wasnt on the list you would not move on to the interview process.
    Out of the 50-60 only about 12 moved on to the next phase. Interviews went fairly quickly.
    For me it was a waste of my time, my last 10 yrs of my resume didn't show much outside work and the interviewers weren't really interested in my experience prior.
    They could have saved us both some time and a 1 1/2 hr drive by looking at my resume before sending me a hiring session invite.

Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

This interview process was very thorough. I heard back shortly after I applied with a request to participate in an online skills test. The test primarily examines your critical thinking ability.

A couple of weeks after taking the exam, I heard from a recruiter who did a basic phone screen. We briefly discussed my experience, interest level in the position, and a few other things. I was then invited to participate in their two-day interview process. The first evening consists of a panel, where several current NS employees discuss their roles & responsibilities and open the floor for questions. You are then free to chat with them after the panel. The following morning is your formal interview.

You start the morning sitting along with a current Account Analyst. You can ask them questions about their job, the company, and the like. I highly recommend you pay attention and get some takeaways from this portion of the morning - it will benefit you during your formal interview.The formal interview consists of two separate interviews in front of two different four-person panels. Questions they ask cover your professional experience, attitudes, interest in the position and company, as well as other questions.

The interview ended early Wednesday afternoon, where they told us to expect to hear back within 5-10 days. I heard back from them the following Monday.

Internal Audit-Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2017.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter at our university's career fair in September then applied online. A couple days after applying I received an email asking me to complete an online exam which asked some general questions and tested your response those questions. After a few weeks I received an email asking if I was available to complete a phone interview. The phone interview was a pretty basic behavioral interview with the recruiter. The next step was going to be an 2 day interview process in the city where the internship would be located. However, I ultimately withdrew from consideration before making it to this step. Overall it was a great experience and the recruiter was very professional and quick to answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of when you had to manage a busy schedule and what is your approach to time management?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working and sharing ideas/opinions with those who are older than you?   Answer Question

Dec 13, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for sharing your interview experience. We're always excited to see what feedback we can bring back to our recruiters and we will share your "professional and quick to answer"... More