Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The interview process was very formal. I applied through a University recruiting process, received an on campus interview, and then attended final round of interviews in Atlanta Headquarters. The pre-assessment was challenging and had both math and high vocabulary elements. Everyone throughout the process was very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions

Norfolk Southern Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the process and efforts involved in becoming an NS employee. We hope you have found your new career rewarding!

Commercial Real Estate Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

The first step in the interview process is a phone interview where they ask general questions about classes, strength of extracurricular activities, work experiences and general skills. The second round is a small group interview, mine was two managers in commercial real estate and one human resources professional. There are no technical questions, mostly theory based.

Interview Questions

• How experienced are you with negotiating leases? If I put you on the phone with a corporate executive right now, how prepared are you to give him the hard line?   Answer Question

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

Streamline interview process, entering the building of NS at Atlanta was a bit intimidating at first because it was such a corporate environment. But the personnel were friendly and it was a great interview.

Interview Questions

• What command in unix list files?   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was drawn-out and incredibly unorganized. The candidates (yes, all candidates that have been invited for a meeting) sit together for a benefits presentation before individual interviews with the team. I was told that I would hear whether or not I was moving forward within a week; after following up two weeks after the interview, I never was contacted by anyone at Norfolk Southern. Six weeks later, I was called and offered a position. This is very disappointing for such an established company; the recruitment team should know better than anyone how important the candidate experience is. Norfolk Southern fell short and gave off a very negative impression from a candidate/potential employee perspective. Follow up is important!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did not agree with a supervisor.   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in February 2018.

Interview

After submitting application online in Nov 2017, was called for phone interview early Jan 2018. Phone interview was HR only and just answering yes or no to HR questions. Then in-person interview 2nd week of Feb 2018. No white board coding but discussion emphasized on how i approached problem solving and how much understanding I had with certain best practices in software development. Got a call with an offer a week after interview.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

Month long interview process that was pointless. They had interns they intended on hiring. Managers did not show up and was stuck with some random guy. Was waste of time and resources.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between final, finally, and finalized?   Answer Question

Audit Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Applied online. Received email to complete online assessment a couple days later. Contacted and had a phone interview within 2 weeks of applying.

Interview Questions

• Asked to tell a little about myself, why I was interested in the position and then the remaining questions were about leadership. How I showed leadership, how I handled problems while in a leadership position, etc.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Interview

Phone call interview and then there will be an onsite interview in their office, during the phone call interview, there will be questions related to basic java knowledge. They will cover nearly every aspect of java, but not in depth, keep relaxed :)

Interview Questions

• Some basic knowledge of Java language, no coding challenge.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were three people interviewing. First, we went over my resume and I was asked to describe a few particular projects. Then, they asked me a few technical questions. Finally I was given a few minutes to ask any questions of my own. Total interview lasted 30 minutes. Overall standard experience.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2007.

Interview

A group of students were contacted via college hiring for a bheavioural and IQ written test. After a couple of weeks a select few got calls from different (or relevant) departments. I was selected for the Analysts position with a department. Two one on one interviews followed. Both started with questions about my past experience and things on the resume. There were followed by some specific questions on the skill set. Some programming related questions were also asked because the position required good programming skills. These I would say were easy to moderate, around 6/10 with 10 being the most difficult.

The people were easy to talk to and work with. The work hours were flexible. The company involved and encouraged participation in different non work related events. Coworkers were always offered help when needed.

Interview Questions

• What are the different scopes for Java variables?   Answer Question
    • Example of a time when you used your authority to prove a point.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate on the offer.

OR Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

2 hours of OR and CS exam, then 2 technical interview.The written exam is somewhat easy, if you have a good background of OR. CS's exam is just multiple choice, you don't need to write codes, just to understand some codes. After that, I was interviewed by two senior manager. One of them is kind. Ask about courses I have studied. Another one is a little tough.