Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 7, 2018

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The interview process was very formal. I applied through a University recruiting process, received an on campus interview, and then attended final round of interviews in Atlanta Headquarters. The pre-assessment was challenging and had both math and high vocabulary elements. Everyone throughout the process was very helpful and friendly.

Interview Questions

Norfolk Southern Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Asst Mgr Candidate Experience

Thank you for highlighting the process and efforts involved in becoming an NS employee. We hope you have found your new career rewarding!

Commercial Real Estate Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

The first step in the interview process is a phone interview where they ask general questions about classes, strength of extracurricular activities, work experiences and general skills. The second round is a small group interview, mine was two managers in commercial real estate and one human resources professional. There are no technical questions, mostly theory based.

Interview Questions

• How experienced are you with negotiating leases? If I put you on the phone with a corporate executive right now, how prepared are you to give him the hard line?   Answer Question

Computer Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

Streamline interview process, entering the building of NS at Atlanta was a bit intimidating at first because it was such a corporate environment. But the personnel were friendly and it was a great interview.

Interview Questions

• What command in unix list files?   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was drawn-out and incredibly unorganized. The candidates (yes, all candidates that have been invited for a meeting) sit together for a benefits presentation before individual interviews with the team. I was told that I would hear whether or not I was moving forward within a week; after following up two weeks after the interview, I never was contacted by anyone at Norfolk Southern. Six weeks later, I was called and offered a position. This is very disappointing for such an established company; the recruitment team should know better than anyone how important the candidate experience is. Norfolk Southern fell short and gave off a very negative impression from a candidate/potential employee perspective. Follow up is important!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did not agree with a supervisor.   Answer Question

Audit Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Applied online. Received email to complete online assessment a couple days later. Contacted and had a phone interview within 2 weeks of applying.

Interview Questions

• Asked to tell a little about myself, why I was interested in the position and then the remaining questions were about leadership. How I showed leadership, how I handled problems while in a leadership position, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were three people interviewing. First, we went over my resume and I was asked to describe a few particular projects. Then, they asked me a few technical questions. Finally I was given a few minutes to ask any questions of my own. Total interview lasted 30 minutes. Overall standard experience.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2007.

Interview

A group of students were contacted via college hiring for a bheavioural and IQ written test. After a couple of weeks a select few got calls from different (or relevant) departments. I was selected for the Analysts position with a department. Two one on one interviews followed. Both started with questions about my past experience and things on the resume. There were followed by some specific questions on the skill set. Some programming related questions were also asked because the position required good programming skills. These I would say were easy to moderate, around 6/10 with 10 being the most difficult.

The people were easy to talk to and work with. The work hours were flexible. The company involved and encouraged participation in different non work related events. Coworkers were always offered help when needed.

Interview Questions

• What are the different scopes for Java variables?   Answer Question
    • Example of a time when you used your authority to prove a point.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate on the offer.

OR Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

2 hours of OR and CS exam, then 2 technical interview.The written exam is somewhat easy, if you have a good background of OR. CS's exam is just multiple choice, you don't need to write codes, just to understand some codes. After that, I was interviewed by two senior manager. One of them is kind. Ask about courses I have studied. Another one is a little tough.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in June 2008.

Interview

Background check required

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied though my college career fair and got a text message to schedule an interview. The recruiter was very nice and professional and asked basic behavior questions like what would you do if you were woken up at 4am and time where you had a problem

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in September 2008.

Interview

Awful experience.

I got a campus screening interview. At the end of the interview, I got invited to their "Career" day as the interviewer handed me a brochure.

I show up 30 min before the set time (8 am). I had to pay $10 for stupid parking as they wouldn't count their interviewees as visitors. We were greeted by one of the recruiters. He was quiet and shy. He then took us, about 30 students, to a conference room where we had to sit through this terrible corporate presentation. Right after, we all had to take their written multiple choice test. It was tricky because it had questions which were repeated (about 10 out of 100 total). So, you have to be very careful when answering - making sure that your answers do not contradict. It lasted about 1.5 hours! I couldn't believe it!

Lunch sucked. I am a vegeterian and they had no options for vegeterian food. I starved. Then, they started calling for 1:1 interviews. I was the last one to be interviewed at 5:30 pm. Until then, I just sat there in the conference room thinking about food. Heck, if it wasn't for that one apple that I ate, I would have fainted by 5:30 pm.

I didn't get at all after 4 weeks. I got impatient and called up one of the recruiters. He said, I was not selected as there weren't any positions open for me. It would have been nice to call me or email me saying that I wasn't selected.

Awful experience. I will never even think about interviewing such a terrible company.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer