Norfolk Southern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2017

2.9

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I interviewed at networking event for operations research. The interview was casual with two people. They asked basic questions about my resume and had me tell them about my experiences. They also discussed job requirements and expectations.

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Interview with a member of their HR team. The interview was pretty relaxed but was based more on your personality and how you would fit in with the company rather than qualifications. The interviewer did not have a technical background so some information seemed to be lost on her. After the initial interview, if selected to move on you are asked to come down to their corporate center in Georgia.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan to stay with NS for awhile?   1 Answer

Transportation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I met with a recruiter at one of my school's career fairs. She was super nice and really straightforward about the job requirements. I interviewed with her the next day and a couple of weeks later I received an email asking me to schedule another interview with the heads of the department. They were really accommodating in regards to travel which was great. The actual interview was okay, the questions weren't hard, but I waited over an hour after my interview time. The interview itself felt short. It seemed the interviewers were tired after interviewing the 20+ people there

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were presented a challenge and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • How would you supervise employees?   Answer Question

Account Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Had an on campus interview with two people. Was told that I would hear back very soon. Never did. I got an email and text message from a completely different recruiter about applying for this job even though I already had an on campus interview. Very disorganized.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Had to complete an online assessment. Had a very brief phone interview. Was invited to an onsite interview. Completed a virtual career day. Flew to Atlanta for interview which consisted of employee panel first night and two interviews the next day, each with a department member and HR rep.

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

I spoke with the recruiter at the university career fair. I had a positive feeling and decided to apply for the position. The following week, the recruiter contacted me for a phone screening. At the end of the screening, I was invited to a 2-day hiring event for the following week. Day 1 included a Q&A with senior employees and an opportunity to network with them afterwards. It was laid back in the sense that it wasn't pretentious. Day 2 consisted of two panel interviews. After the interviews, they tell you they will contact you in 5-10 business days with a result. They contacted me back in 8! Whew!

They want leaders! You should be confident in your leadership style. This job also requires that you relocate, work shifts overnight, and holidays. Know if you are comfortable with that going in to this process.

Account Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Lexington, KY).

Interview

The interview was on campus a couple days after a career fair. The interviewer jumped straight into the questions because we only had a 30 minute window to interview. There were two people interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you were able to convince someone who disagreed with you to see your point of view?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Decatur, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Around 50 people showed up for a presentation where they gave the typical scare speech about the lifestyle of working on the railroad and we took a test afterwards. 10 people got picked based on their gender and/or race while everyone else got disqualified for the job. Complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Didn't make it to the actual interview.   1 Answer

OST MECHANICAL/TRANSPORTATION Interview

Application

Interview

After applying online I was contacted about a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR recruiter in Norfolk and was very casual but also had questions that required me to explain how my skills and past experiences will correlate to NS.
    After that there is a conference call that you take part in with other candidates. This follows along with a power point overview of company benefits etc...
    The actual interviews are typically conducted in Atlanta and are two days.
    The fist day was just all the candidates meeting in a conference room and going over specifics about the role, with a helpful video to watch also. There will also be a panel of people (former or current MTs) to ask questions and pick their brains.
    The interviews are the 2nd day in the morning. Afterwords they tell you 5-10 business days to hear any results, I waited 4 weeks and then got the call Monday of the 5th week. I was offered the same position in both departments.
    Throughout this process HR was amazing and was always willing to help with any questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to discipline someone? if so, how do you go about it.   Answer Question
    • KNOW how to impliment safe practices in the workplace. Show them how you have done so In the past, if you don't have experience in a culture of safety GO GET SOME. (not a question just a tip)   Answer Question

Carman Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Usually held in a large conference room at a hotel, 20-100 applicants. Some form of mid-level management with a HR representative will explain everything from benefits to types of schedules to working on holidays to the drug test procedure to the requirements. throughout the process of describing the work and the life style you will be put on several breaks and before each break the management representative will ask anyone who is not sure about working for the railroad to leave. After about two hours of this you will take a fifty question test and be sent to lunch once complete. Upon returning from lunch they will call out x amount names to stay and send everyone else home. This is when you will do a face to face interview with the HR and management representatives. They will then send you on your way and explain that if interested they will give you a call.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience I had, what I saw myself doing five years from now,   Answer Question