Opendoor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Pricing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2018.

Interview

Interview process was thorough. 4 Stage process, first with recruiter, second with regional pricing manager, third with 3 back to back interviews and fourth with final communication with recruiter for reference checks, offer, training set up.

Interview Questions

• How do you price homes... By Sq Ft or differential Adjustments? What is one of your strengths and one of your flaws?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

There was a major shift in the company so they needed to get people in quickly. I had two phone interviews, and one in-person interview that had me meet 3 different people. Each one-on-one lasted 30 minutes, which totaled 1hr 30min interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of when you had to provide quickly a solution to a problem, that would normally require a supervisor's approval?   1 Answer
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Finance and Stratefy Analyst Interview

Interview

It was pretty standard at the beginning. I applied online, got an email from the hiring manager and we scheduled a phone call, which he was almost 10 minutes late. No problem, I understand that you got stuck in a meeting earlier. We started talking, and our conversation was cut twice because he forgot to book the room and was kicked out by other people. It's OK. It happens to me sometimes too. Then our interview continued, but then as soon as he realized I wasn't the good fit for what he was looking for, he cut me abruptly when I was in the middle of a sentence and said good bye and hanged up. I followed up with a quick thank you email and never heard anything from them again. Not even a "You're welcome" or "We thank you for your interest but we are moving forward with an other candidate. " I have had 30-50 phone interviews with potential employers since I graduated and have never had a bad experience like this. I was expecting at least some courtesy from scalable and reputable start up like Opendoor and apparently I set my expectation too high this time.

Interview Questions

Opendoor Response

Jan 21, 2020 – Opendoor People Team

We appreciate you letting us know more about your experience. It isn’t acceptable behavior for our interview team to be unprepared when it comes to being late or not having a room booked. We want to make this as much of a seamless process for our candidates as possible and we apologize that this wasn’t your experience with us this time around. We have shared this feedback with the team and will make improvements in our process to ensure that this will not happen again in the future.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

My interview process with Opendoor was really great. I initially applied via referral, heard back from the recruiter within a couple of days, and within a week had my first call with the hiring manager. That call was mainly to hear about my background, what I was looking for, and for the hiring manager to share the responsibilities of the role and answer any questions.

Afterwards, we scheduled a video interview where I was to review 1-2 case studies of research projects I was proud of, focusing on everything from study design/methodology to impact.

Finally, I was invited on site for a half-day of interviews, including a presentation (same projects I presented earlier but refined with helpful feedback from the hiring manager), and 1:1s with various members of the product, marketing, design/brand team. These interviews primarily dug into how I partner with others, how I've been able to use research to inform strategy in my past experience, and also whether I demonstrated core values like ownership, customer focus, etc.

Throughout the process, my recruiter was incredibly responsive, communicative, prepared me for my interviews by sharing expectations clearly, and advocated for me in the offer process. During that final step, there was a lot of care given in connecting me to people throughout the company to answer any questions or concerns that I might have and talk me through Opendoor's business model and future potential. That, on top of meeting so many smart, passionate people through my interview loop, made this a great interviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• What was the impact of this research on your business/organization?   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor.

Interview

The recruitment process was much faster than I’ve experienced at other tech companies, and the coordinator and Head of Design were great at staying in communication with me throughout.

I applied online and received a response from the Head of Design within an hour. We chatted the next day about what I was looking for in my next role and talked through my design experience.

The following week, I had an hour call with a Design Manager to present a case study and answer questions. At the end of our call, I received constructive criticism of my presentation which I really appreciated.

The onsite interview lasted several hours and included: a group interview with case study presentation, lunch with the team, a white boarding exercise, and a final 1:1 interview with the Head of Design. I’d say the white boarding exercise was the most demanding step of the recruitment process for me. It forced me to be creative with out much context, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that someone gave you design criticism that you knew was wrong. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Opendoor (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

Couldn't even get to the interview process despite ~20 years experience and checking off all of the requirements and bonus requirements for the job. What gives? Is this an example of more ageism in tech?

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Great chat with the interviewer.
    Solved the interview question with optimal time and space complexity, while explaining my approach to the interviewer from time to time.
    We had more than 10 mins left at the end of the interview for questions and answers. We had a great discussion about the company's future plans, current teams.
    I was considering to join them, based on the future prospects of the company. But to my surprise got a rejection.
    FYI I have been an interviewer for my current and past companies for many years. The only reason for reject, in this case, I can think of, is that their position was no longer open.

@Opendoor recruiters
    Please let candidates know if this is the case.

Interview Questions

• Simple question compared to FB, Google, Uber phone screen   1 Answer

Jan 21, 2020 – Opendoor People Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. We meet many candidates throughout our process and unfortunately aren’t able to move forward with everyone we meet. That said, we should have shared that the position was filled if that was the case. We are committed to keeping candidates informed on the decisions of the hiring team and providing feedback when applicable, so we apologize if there was a miss here. Thank you again for the taking the time to leave us a review.

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Standard SF design interview process. First a phone screen, then a remote portfolio presentation with the hiring manager, then an onsite. The onsite consisted of a portfolio review with the broader team, a series of 1:1s each focusing on a different aspect (skills, collaboration, etc.), and a white board challenge. The white board challenge was fun and I got a sense of how I would work along-side my hiring manager. All-in-all I really enjoyed the process and getting an opportunity to get a feel for the team!

Interview Questions

• White board challenge: "Design a inventory management system for a surf shop"   1 Answer

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Opendoor (Atlanta, GA) in October 2019.

Interview

It never happened. Was scheduled with the recruiter twice and he never called either time. I assume the position was filled?? Or perhaps there was just a mix up of some kind. Twice. Not sure but

Interview Questions

• Do you have time to discuss the role?   1 Answer

Jan 21, 2020 – Opendoor People Team

Thank you for the feedback. Our team clearly dropped the ball, and there’s no excuse for a poor candidate experience like this one. We take feedback like this very seriously and are making changes in our process so that this does not happen again in the future.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Opendoor (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2019.

Interview

Extremely pleasant interview with personable HR staffer. Most of the questions I had prepared were actually covered in her extended introduction. She explained the general requirements of the job, something of the immediate company structure and benefits, also suggested the approx. salary the position would offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the projects on which I am currently working.   Answer Question

Home Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Opendoor (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2019.

Interview

I received email to schedule phone screening with recruiter after applying on OD site. Timely, friendly. Second interview was set up from someone in the Phx- interview was going well, mostly just a get to know you then a role playing question and interview ended. Within 24hrs received email saying they were not moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Provide specific examples of when you exceeded the customer expectation.   1 Answer
    • Role Playing - buyer wants to make a low ball offer what do you do.   1 Answer