PayPal Software Engineer III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PayPal Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Interviews at PayPal

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had a phone screen and then on the site interview. The phone screen was pretty basic with experience and behavioral related questions. The onsite interview was full day with 3 people interviewing. First two were very technical and they asked me questions about Informatica, SQL joins, optimization and perl scripts. It wasnt that hard but not too easy too. The last person was a manager and was asking more about behavioral and co-ordination related questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a script to remove duplicates from a file and then identify outliners and replace them with a default value and load into MYSQL.
    2. Which is the most cost efficient transformation in Informatica and what would you use instead to do the same job more efficiently.
    3. What is screw in Teradata and how to identify it and tune the query
    etc...   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for PayPal

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

4x45 min sessions for onsite, including 1 session with the manager. The other 3 are technical, but average difficulty, typical interview questions found on interview sites or books. Asked about algorithm, data structure, design patterns, java related questions (since the job was java). Interviewers were friendly & laid-back. Got the offer a few days after the onsite interviews, so the whole process was really quick.

Initial offer was decent, had good signing bonus. Asked for about 10% base salary increase from the initial offer and got it. In hindsight when compared with what others are getting in the silicon valley, should also have asked for more RSU.

Interview Questions

• Asked about algorithm, data structure, design patterns, java related questions (since the job was java)   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

phone screen / 1:1 - 30 min phone interview basic java questions / half day 1:1 interview 45 mins each with one person. total 4 ppl interviewed. It was onsite at San Jose campus. I would rate it as average

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

- Got a call for interview, had initial chat with recruiter.
    - After 10 days may be, I got a phone interview scheduled.
    - 45 mins phone interview, basic java questions with one coding question of rotation of string in optimised way. Soln .. is you swap letters, I did first normal formal loop then gave this soln.
    - Phone interview cleared , got scheduled for onsite. Notification time by HR was bad, like a day before and time was 11am - 5/4.30 pm.
    - Went for onsite, had contnous 5 rounds with out any break. They dint even ask for lunch :( my tummy was grumbling while giving interviews.
    - 1st round technical, java questions , enums and constants, what is webservice, define your own generic type.
    - 2nd technical more on spring side questions, order() if you know. LRU algo code and explanation.
    - 3rd was more of managerial round
    - 4th technical again, he was a lead gave few puzzles white boarding with logic
    - 5th - architect, more of whole web flow. Create class, url names, config flow .. complete.

All of them had whiteboarding, followed by explanation.

I felt it went good, but thye sent mail they're looking for more better.

Interview Questions

• - Questions were fine, architectural was more of how will I design, she wanted me to give url names, and what annotation will i define.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

It is typically a few rounds that one has to clear before the offer. The hiring and interview process is great. This is a very good company to work for and has opportunities to grow and some very good projects to work on

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Normal as on would expect

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The process was smooth from the beginning to end, recruiter always keep you informed on what is next. They seem to be busy and lots have to be done so they are actively interviewing and trying to get more people on board. interview consist of phone screening, take home exam and then onsite with 5-6 people including lunch. Overall very positive experience, you get to meet technical staff there and exchange ideas regarding technical problems/questions

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

two telephonic rounds, both are technical in nature.
    it was for a c++ opening
    first round: general c++ questions about oops concepts copy constructor and one simple algorithm, find missing number in an array.
    second round: some questions about previous project and one strcpy question
    and the worst thing is they insist on puzzles. it sucks big time when companies ask puzzles, they should have policies to NOT ask puzzles.

Interview Questions

• Copy constructor
      find missing element in a array of integers sorted
      strcpy function with test cases   1 Answer

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at PayPal in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed on many different teams and the interview style differed from team to team. The interview process was pretty standard. Ranged from your typical algorithm questions to javascript stuff since they are now heavily invested in JS/Node. It really depends on the team and the job.

Interview Questions

• Explain this:
      var Bob = {

console.log(Bob.name_fn()) //"Bob"
      var fn = Bob.name_fn
      console.log(fn()) //undefined   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Mostly technical rounds. A couple of rounds with manager which was just chit chatting about both parties' experiences.

Interview Questions

• How to find loop in linked list which wasn't particularly difficult. But that was the most difficult one I can recall.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I joined as contractor first and in about 8 months they hired me permanently. The negotiations did not last for too long. The salary offered was pretty much final. They only increased about 4% after negotiations that is.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in September 2016.

Interview

Had 1st round with senior manager and followed by 2 rounds of technical interview. Despite of giving correct answers for all the questions, They took 2 weeks to say that I got rejected without telling me any reason. This is something they have decided before even taking interview I believe. Not sure why they have conducted interview simply to reject.

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked on Core Java, Data Structure, Selenium.   1 Answer