Shutterfly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very quick. Went pretty fast. Got to know whether hired or not the same day of the interview. Interview with two teams and both teams were good.

Interview Questions

• Selenium webdriver questions, database, unix, java programming questions. Bubble sort, binary tree search,Reverse a string in JAVA. web app fundamentals and also questions from resume. API testing, performance testing questions.   Answer Question

Lead User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

There was a phone interview with HR, then the hiring manager. Then I was brought in for individual interviews and a team interview. I presented my portfolio to each person and they asked questions about my projects.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shutterfly in May 2014.

Interview

This was a bad interview experience because of the interviewers. It was a Skype interview, They came off as disinterested and unfriendly. While I was working on the question they gave me, they were working on their own laptops. I tried to talk to them while coding to explain my thought process but they seemed not to care what I said. They gave me an impression that Shutterfly is a dull place to work. The recruiter was very nice and interview questions were fair though. They asked about sorts and logic questions.

Interview Questions

• For any positive integer n, define d(n) to be n plus the sum of the digits of n. For example, d(75) = 75 + 7 + 5 = 87. The number n is called a generator of d(n). Some numbers have more than one generator: for example, 101 has two generators, 91 and 100. A number with no generators is a self-number. There are thirteen self-numbers less than 100: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 20, 31, 42, 53, 64, 75, 86, and 97. Write a function that returns the number of positive self-numbers less than a number, threshold.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied online, was contacted within a few days. Initial phone interview a day later, and second phone interview on the same day. Offered a position maybe an hour or two later - the whole process took was completed within less than a week!

Everyone was incredibly friendly, and the technical interview isn't too bad as long as you remember your fundamentals.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

The HR/recruiters were really good at setting up the interviews and the on-boarding process. They were very easy to deal with, which was refreshing after some frustrating experiences at other companies.
    The interviews were reasonable with questions relevant to the job. There was no brain teasers bs that tells you nothing about the person's skill set or freshman level cs questions (i.e. how to implement a linked list) which anyone can look up online in 5 minutes.
    The people were very friendly and polite, pleasure to deal with.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

it helps to have a competing offer on the table, which Shutterfly was willing to match.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I have to say I was under-estimating the programmers there, since this is only a card manufacturer's website. But, apparently, a lot goes on behind-the-scenes that we as a user are not aware of.

I had a phone interview with a project manager, who asked me questions regarding my resume, qualifications etc. There were some minor technical questions, but I think he realized that he needs to bring me on site.

So for the on-site interview, it started at approximately 1pm and ended at 6pm. I was grilled by 2 project managers, 1 senior developer and 2 other software engineers. I have to say, I was not prepared as much and extremely nervous. They definitely grilled me really well, but I made it a point to communicate my thought process so that they have an idea of how my thought-analysis progresses.

Either way, they tested me on some fundamental CS questions regarding data-structures, sorting algorithms and RDBMS. One of the junior software engineers presented a problem posed in a white-paper, which took me 45mins to figure out. I was not able to crack the solution, but I think more than solving, he was interested in how I went about solving it and what concepts I dug in to solve it. The senior developer asked me some "out-of-the-box" questions. The project managers asked me about sorting algorithms, which I forgot to brush up before I went for the interview. So I did my best to figure out the solution.

I was asked to come in again for the second day, met the VP of engineering who asked me explain my Master's thesis on white-board as quickly as possible. After that, another senior developer grilled me with questions. He asked me 3 questions, the first one was simple, but I think my nervousness got the worst of me. However, for the second and the third one, I definitely nailed it.

Alas, on the 4th day, I found out that they were not going to go ahead with my application. They told me that I have potential, good character, attitude etc., but they were looking for someone who can work more independently since I mentioned that I do look forward to code-reviews and like to ask questions. I think it was all due to my nervousness. I was so sure I was going to get this job, but even the managers were not expecting this.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine if 2 strings are anagrams of each other?   Answer Question
    • How do your reverse a singly linked-list in the most efficient way?   Answer Question
    • How do you sort 1TB of characters with only 1MB of RAM but infinite amount of disk-space?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I attended the career fair organized by Shutterfly in Sunnyvale, California in the last February and applied to various positions. I was contacted by the HR for this position after 10 days. ------>Had a phone interview scheduled after another week.
    Phone Interview Questions
    ----> Java concepts(Overloading, Overriding, "Static, Final, Finally, Finalized" Keywords etc)
    ----> Basic SQL questions(Diff between delete and truncate, Database indexing etc.)
    ----> Basic Linux
    ----->Basic Testing questions

Got a reply from HR after a week, was called onsite.
    In-person Questions
    ---->BST print level order
    ---->Lot of shell scripting questions were asked
    ---->Best Design patterns
    ----->Data structures basics

Interview Questions

• Looks like in-depth shell scripting is very much required, one of the interviewer asked only shell scripting for 1 hour.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

This was quite a strange interview process. I received a response one day after submitting my online application and had a phone screen. The phone screen with the recruiter went well; I am a bootcamp grad and freelance developer, so I talked about the projects I've worked on and how my skills aligned with the requirements on the job post. The recruiter moved me forward to have a screen with the hiring manager.

My interview with the hiring manager seemed like an uphill battle from the start. We worked on collab-edit (which doesn't have audio functionality), so I had her on speaker phone. I started the call discussing my background and experiences. I could tell that she was hesitant about my qualification because I did not have a degree in computer science. I was able to solve the algorithm she gave me in 2 minutes and she asked me to use a different data structure to solve it. I used a HashMap to reduce the time complexity of my algorithm and she wanted me to use nested while loops "to save memory space." She didn't like that I coded in Ruby on Rails, nitpicked about the Ruby code syntax, and then asked if I knew other coding languages. It was an awkward situation, especially because she did not have another algorithm prepared and asked me to write a less efficient solution...

My interviewer hung up the call before I could ask any questions. The whole experience was very strange. It was an easy interview, but I could tell that the hiring manager was hesitant about my qualification from the start. I was right and got a rejection the next morning.

Interview Questions

• Remove duplications from an array/linkedlist   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterfly in February 2018.

Interview

45 min phone interview. Asked questions about concepts of Java, C++, and Python, relational database and NoSQL database. The interviewer is not that friendly. Didn't give any feedback of my answer.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewer comes with laptop, searches questions. Bad attitude. Not professional. I could feel interviewer was showing his power and ego. HR had no clue about the interview schedule.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterfly (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Application for the position was submitted online. Processes started with an HR phone interview which was scheduled 2 weeks after submission of the application. HR asked basic behavioural questions and scheduled a technical phone interview. The technical interviewer asked questions on resume. After a couple of days, I was asked to come onsite where 3 interviews were scheduled 30mins each. It was a whiteboard interview with questions on algorithms, basic data structures and on academic projects.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with Shutterfly?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      FizzBuzz