Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Splunk

2.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

a few engineers will ask technical questions. Manager will be the last in the interview. I didn't see any uncomfortable questions at all. Just make sure you know everything in your own resume.

Interview Questions

• all based on resume, so you should be able to answer the questions if they are in your resume.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the technical manager directly in Linkedin and asked me to apply for the position. After few weeks I got a call from a recruiter and attended 3 telephonic interviews (Re-scheduled phone interviews multiple times). I don't see any coordination between interviewer and recruiter because I followed-up with the recruiter that I didn't get a call on the day it is scheduled and then they checked with the interviewer and said he is busy with his work and rescheduled after one week. Can you imagine the person who is waiting for the phone call for an hour? If this happens for one time then it is okay but it had happened for 3 times.

After a lot of email exchanges, finally, they asked me to come for the on-site interview. I have never seen any company conducting 9 back to back technical rounds (10 am - 5 pm). Sounds crazy right (I felt the same). Every interviewer asked about their own expertise where they are strong and at one point I felt like whether these interviewers read my resume or not? I am not happy with the interview process. I thought of leaving the hellhole in middle but I thought it will be very rude to do that. I had very unprofessional interview experience with one senior director. He didn't even see my resume and not sure whether he knew which position I came for. Such an arrogant dottard. Beleive me no one ll have fun to spend their time and prepare for an interview. Everyone does their best to crack an interview. At least please give minimum respect to the interviewed person even if you think he is not fit for the position. It doesn't matter whether you are a senior director or manager but please maintain your dignity and show some empathy towards other individuals.

After 4 weeks of my on-site interview, they sent an email that they are moving forward with other candidates. Honestly, I got 2 other job opportunities in this 4 weeks time and already joined in one company. I really don't want to write this review but just want to share my experience with the Splunk recruiting team so that at least future Splunk aspirants won't suffer like me.

Interview Questions

• Multi-threading questions, tools to measure CPU cycles in Linux, Questions on REST and some troubleshooting questions related to network communication.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A friend referred me to Splunk recently. Almost immediately, the recruiter contacted me and requested to schedule an onsite for as early as two days later. I was impressed at how quickly they were able to put me through to an onsite, but didn't quite work with my schedule since it was around the holidays. I came in just after the new year for an onsite, and had a relatively standard one on one tech interview with two interviews, lunch, then two more interviews. They tested both coding and design, and I got to talk to the hiring manager during lunchtime and ask questions about what it's like to work there. All the interviewers were really nice during the interview and the recruiter was quite understanding when it came to my timeline for the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

Phone interview followed by pair coding review. The coding review was conducted remotely and was unpleasant. It was very hard to hear the interviewer as they were on a speaker phone. Obviously someone else was in the room who wasn't speaking, which gave a very strange feeling. The interviewer was obviously very senior and accomplished, but they weren't good at communicating what they wanted from the session.

Interview Questions

• They asked for how a particular UI element would work in terms of the JavaScript used to put it together.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in September 2018.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly with one coding challenge online, one phone interview and one in-person interview for me. All three of them are easy level technical interviews. They provide uber code to cover your ride to the interview place.

Interview Questions

Splunk Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review! We’re so glad to hear you had a positive experience here at Splunk and are thrilled to have you on the team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

Initial video call followed by take away coding exercise. Onsite interview for 6 hours , few in person and few video conference. Very well organized, everyone was super pleasant. few behavior questions, and one system design.

Interview Questions

• Multi threading - Questions about isolation and atomicity with multiple threads.   Answer Question

Jan 7, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for your review and interest at Splunk! We are delighted to hear that you had a positive experience here at Splunk! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Jose, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and I had a good chat with an engineer @ Splunk. I was invited on-site and performed 5 hours of interviewing with several different engineers from different teams. The actual interview was fine, engineers seemed friendly and interested in what the company was doing. Overall I think we had good conversations. This is where the positives stop.

Before I interviewed at Splunk I read on Glassdoor about the recruiters just not responding after an on-site. This came across as a pretty big flaw in character for the company if it was true so I took the reviews with some doubt. How can a large company like this act so poorly with candidates?

I've also asked colleagues around the Bay Area that have interviewed @ Splunk and they recited the same story. Ghosted by the recruiter after the on-site. These engineers moved onto obtain positions at Google, Apple and Facebook.

Well, its true. After the on-site, there no communication at all. Splunk feels you don't deserve any further correspondence whatsoever. Dead, nothing, nada. You no longer exist. And candidates will definitely notice since the days/weeks leading to said interview the recruiter will be in contact constantly.

Splunk.. candidates are taking their time off, most of the time taking PTO days to perform several rounds of interview with your company. They are preparing and sacrificing other opportunity costs to engage with your organization. Even though Splunk doesn't respect it, a candidate views their own time as extremely valuable and they have chosen to spend it with you. To just cut a candidate off with a cold shoulder and no further communication is not only extremely unprofessional but also disrespectful.

I takes 10 seconds to send the email. I'll give you a free template:

"Dear candidate, we are choosing not to continue with your candidacy at this time."

See how easy that was? Now the candidate can move on with their search.

Did I get the job? Who knows, I'm guessing likely not since I'll take the cold shoulder as a rejection. However since I do have choices and options in the Bay Area of where to work at, I likely now won't take a position here anyways. Splunk has proven they don't respect people and thats a culture that isn't for me.

Interview Questions

Splunk Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Director

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. You’re completely right—candidates deserve timely feedback and correspondence and we sincerely apologize for the lack of courtesy... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in September 2018.

Interview

Was invited for an on-site interview after a phone screen. Interview seemed to have gone fine. Pinged my recruiter few days later for any feedback. No reply whatsoever. This is my very first ghosting experience. Very unprofessional. I will never consider Splunk in the future.

Interview Questions

• Standard data structures/algs stuff. One design question.   Answer Question

Oct 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We want to apologize for your unacceptable experience and would love to address the issues you’ve experienced. Please feel free to reach out to... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

First round: telephone screening
    Second round: In person technical interview
    Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code.
      How to avoid deadlocks.   Answer Question