Splunk Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2017

2.8

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the technical manager directly in Linkedin and asked me to apply for the position. After few weeks I got a call from a recruiter and attended 3 telephonic interviews (Re-scheduled phone interviews multiple times). I don't see any coordination between interviewer and recruiter because I followed-up with the recruiter that I didn't get a call on the day it is scheduled and then they checked with the interviewer and said he is busy with his work and rescheduled after one week. Can you imagine the person who is waiting for the phone call for an hour? If this happens for one time then it is okay but it had happened for 3 times.

After a lot of email exchanges, finally, they asked me to come for the on-site interview. I have never seen any company conducting 9 back to back technical rounds (10 am - 5 pm). Sounds crazy right (I felt the same). Every interviewer asked about their own expertise where they are strong and at one point I felt like whether these interviewers read my resume or not? I am not happy with the interview process. I thought of leaving the hellhole in middle but I thought it will be very rude to do that. I had very unprofessional interview experience with one senior director. He didn't even see my resume and not sure whether he knew which position I came for. Such an arrogant dottard. Beleive me no one ll have fun to spend their time and prepare for an interview. Everyone does their best to crack an interview. At least please give minimum respect to the interviewed person even if you think he is not fit for the position. It doesn't matter whether you are a senior director or manager but please maintain your dignity and show some empathy towards other individuals.

After 4 weeks of my on-site interview, they sent an email that they are moving forward with other candidates. Honestly, I got 2 other job opportunities in this 4 weeks time and already joined in one company. I really don't want to write this review but just want to share my experience with the Splunk recruiting team so that at least future Splunk aspirants won't suffer like me.

Interview Questions

• Multi-threading questions, tools to measure CPU cycles in Linux, Questions on REST and some troubleshooting questions related to network communication.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

A friend referred me to Splunk recently. Almost immediately, the recruiter contacted me and requested to schedule an onsite for as early as two days later. I was impressed at how quickly they were able to put me through to an onsite, but didn't quite work with my schedule since it was around the holidays. I came in just after the new year for an onsite, and had a relatively standard one on one tech interview with two interviews, lunch, then two more interviews. They tested both coding and design, and I got to talk to the hiring manager during lunchtime and ask questions about what it's like to work there. All the interviewers were really nice during the interview and the recruiter was quite understanding when it came to my timeline for the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

Phone interview followed by pair coding review. The coding review was conducted remotely and was unpleasant. It was very hard to hear the interviewer as they were on a speaker phone. Obviously someone else was in the room who wasn't speaking, which gave a very strange feeling. The interviewer was obviously very senior and accomplished, but they weren't good at communicating what they wanted from the session.

Interview Questions

• They asked for how a particular UI element would work in terms of the JavaScript used to put it together.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Splunk in August 2015.

Interview

Lot of back and forth for phone interview. Had to reschedule due to release issue on Splunk Side. Phone interview was for 45 mins. Person who took my interview was very experienced. Asked questions specific to my skill set (Front End)

Interview Questions

• AngularJS questions 1. What is Scope 2. What is diff between Service and Factory 3. What are commonly used directives

General JS 1. What are various HTTP methods you are aware of 2. What is Closure 3. .call and .apply

CSS 1. What CSS3 features do you use in your project 2. What does > and + sign in CSS selectors

Linux Question 1. I want to find out all files in which there is phone number (I have more then 500k files in folder / sub folder / ... 2. Have you ever installed software or package using command line   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Splunk in July 2014.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn.. Process was smooth..But they ask junior engineer to take initial rounds.
    Only 1 phone coding interview. I have close to 12.5 years experience. The interviewer was junior software engineer.
    These juniors do not understand the big picture OR don't know what to ask..They just ask some coding program which they have done during college days and they judge people with great experience on that. I was initially told there will be 2 interviews and after one interview another junior guy said they were not going ahead.. I was laughing and felt good that I did not have work with such people.. But Splunk looses good people who want to work for company..
    Actually I solved the programming interview questions in 2 different ways..told him that I have made some assumptions to keep it simple..I can make it complex if required.
    He seemed to be not happy :)

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions...Standard question - How to check if 2 strings are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Splunk in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the recruiter. Setup a phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. multi-threading and be prepared to write code.
      How to avoid deadlocks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

a few engineers will ask technical questions. Manager will be the last in the interview. I didn't see any uncomfortable questions at all. Just make sure you know everything in your own resume.

Interview Questions

• all based on resume, so you should be able to answer the questions if they are in your resume.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Splunk in June 2013.

Interview

Had 4 rounds of Interview, although it was supposed to be a 6 round interview. Types of questions were mostly on Design, How do you design a product and something like that, which went for more than 1 hour. Then I had the 2nd round which was on the projects that I have worked on, kept digging deeper into the projects. The 3rd round was mostly on Web Technologies, on CSS and Java scripts..4th round was on Python and Django. And finally the HR personal told me that they are unable to proceed further.

Interview Questions

• How do you design market place for an elevator? I couldnt understand what exactly that means, I kept asking for more inputs but all the time it was the same question, there are elevators in a building, how do you design apps for those elevators, how does the developers upload them to the market place...I couldnt answer this question, and this was the first question   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

First round: telephone screening
    Second round: In person technical interview
    Third round: In person interview with broader management team and project team.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Definitely not happy with the interview process at Splunk. The interview went well but there is lack of co-ordination. I had an initial phone interview followed by an on-site interview of 4 rounds. They didn't even respond to me after the onsite interview.
    It does look like the hiring manager has conducted a sham interview to gain experience.