Splunk Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Splunk Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2017

2.9

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Met at career fair, completed quick coding challenge, had a phone screen with a project manager, then completed a two hour onsite interview with four company engineers at their offices.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Splunk

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Extremely fast interview process. Starting from first call from HR to get the offer took only 3-days for me. The HR and the hiring manager both were very friendly. A very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• It was a phone interview on basics of C/C++. e.g., details on memory leak, memory fragmentation, etc. Also, asked question on my previous job experiences   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

1. Phone screen. The screening was very general on my background and details of projects.
    2. Coding challenge. It was a very classic problem, 60 minute long total with two different problems.
    3. Interview with manager. General Computer Science questions on language architecture, syntax, programming methods..
    4. On-site interview. Did not attend as I accepted another offer in the meantime.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge was about finding the longest continuous subsequence of integers in a list.
      The first interview was about my background, and questions specific to the position. Syntax in Javascript, Java language architecture, python mutable and immutable object.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I started with a coding challenge; after passing it, I had a phone interview with a hiring manager, and finally had an on-site interview with 4 back-to-back interviews at their headquarters in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions I was asked was about, given a list of integers, returning a list of all possible permutations.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Splunk in January 2017.

Interview

Ghosted by recruiter. It's been 5 weeks since the phone interview (and I thought that I did well). Emailed him asking my status after 4 weeks. No response so far.

Interview Questions

• Javascript related concepts, asynchronous programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Diego, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The second Indian guy's accent was too bad. The first and the last interviewer is good. I like them. But the second Indian guy made me very unhappy and his attitude is not very good and even a little distant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I went to my University's career fair, and talked for a relatively long time (~15 minutes) with a Senior Engineer. About 3 weeks later, I got a call from Splunk detailing an interview date and time. They were flexible with the interview time.

The interview was over phone. There was muddled sound and I found it difficult to understand the interviewer. The interviewer gave questions over a code-sharing website. Awkward silences over the phone made it difficult to concentrate on the questions; when combined with the fact that this was my first interview of the year, I wasn't able to answer many questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on semaphores and mutexes. Questions on parsing non-punctuated strings into valid IPs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Two initial screening calls then I invited on-site. The entire team was confused about the role I was applying for, they had serious confusion. The most senior person who interviewed me, asked me to write a function called "Hipster." This was obviously the first time I was ever trolled in an interview. The project lead / managing engineer told me about how much he loves drinking, that they are pressured to drink, and its a big part of their culture. Splunk came off very unprofessional, I could see how young engineers are attracted to the fancy office. This is not a workplace for serious engineers looking to advance their career. Thank god I didn't get an offer and accept.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Splunk.

Interview

Had a technical phone interview which was medium LeetCode type questions.

This was followed up by an on-site set of six interviews and lunch which I felt went well outside of one where the interviewer had a thick accent and was difficult to communicate effectively with. Wide range of topics from OOP to algorithms to other concepts.

I never received an email after my on-site.

Overall, they're a bit sloppy but seems like a decent company to work for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Splunk (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews with one manager and one software engineer. For some reason, both interviews were like the one you get at the very beginning: you get a coding question you work on while they are watching, "why do you want to work for Splunk" etc. etc.
    For some reason they chose to do the whole process in one week. Meaning, they emailed me on Tuesday and by next Monday they already made their decision.

Now, what made this experience negative is that the second interview gave me the feeling that the guy on the other end did not care. Each time I asked a question during coding, I had to repeat because I felt like he wasn't even looking (his microphone was muted too). In fact, the whole second interview only lasted 20 minutes because he seemed to be in a hurry.