Stein Mart Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stein Mart Interview Questions

Interviews at Stein Mart

1.8

Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Amarillo, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

very standard

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Mobile, AL) in February 2013.

Interview

Very professional and warm. Very relaxed environment. The store was very organized and clean. Staff was friendly and willing to offer assistance. The office was clean and orderly. The manager was dressed very nicely and professional. She clearly knew a lot about the company and offered me much information.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you had to defuse a situation where a customer was unhappy.   1 Answer

Work life balance.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

Spoke with District Director for this position. As a current employee, did not need to interview first with store manager. They typically interview from within the company first, then look at outside applicants.

Interview Questions

• Spoke about management style, coaching, training style. Spoke about management positions prior to coming to Stein Mart.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Memphis, TN) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview with Store Manager in the store and discuss personal experience level. If the SM is pleased with the interview it is then passed on to the District Director who then does their own interview a couple of days later. The District Director and Store Manager confer and make a decision on who the best person for the job is out of their pool of applicants. Offer is made by the DD.

Anonymous Employee in Destin, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Destin, FL).

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager who told me that she can not do the interview for the position in which I was applying and the district manager would have to interview me and informed me that he was out of the state interviewing someone else for the same position. The manager tried to get me to take a merchandise manager position instead of the assistant position for a significant pay decrease. Had to wait a month to talk to the DM who then had me wait another 2 weeks for my background check to come back. It was a very long process.

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Steinmart starts off with 2 phone interviews followed up with an on site meeting with the merchandising team.

In preparation for the interviews, I researched the company, the financials and other related materials to show the value I could bring to driving their categories. Steinmart's Vision and Mssion statements stands for respect and collaboration. As a Category Manager and Buyer for 2 respected retailers, I was excited to join Steinmart.

Off the bat, the intimate apparel manager implied that I did not know what I was doing or had the business experience because I was coming from a different industry. Imagine a woman walking into an auto parts store being stared down with the look asking "what does a woman know about fixing cars?"

In spite of me explaining how I have consistently turned around a number of under performing categories by taking a customer centric approach and using factual data to anticipate trends to bring differentiated, unique product to market; I was talking to a wall.

On top of that, she displayed poor manners and did not seem interested in showing respect for others.

I withdrew from the process. Why inject myself with egos or threatened people who are distracted from bringing out the best in others to build a healthy business that brings buyers together with sellers?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Beyond that, the interviewer talked about the company in general.   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Allentown, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

Very informal, I was surprised at how quick to judge they were and how they were very critical they were about my qualifications. They did not provide much insight into my future and how I would develop as an employee. They also were very vague about the benefits which surprised me.

Interview Questions

• Can you lift 60 pound boxes.   1 Answer

Visual Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Orlando, FL) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview is with the store manager. Asks you many customer service questions as well as job experience questions. Asks you why you are interested in working for the company. Be sure to research the company before the interview. Asks about your strengths and weaknesses. Try to pick a weakness that is positive. Try to explain previous job duties. Be sure to address jobs that would qualify you for position.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected one is when they ask you to go to one of their departments and pick an outfit including accessories to go with the outfit.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was desperate for a job so I didn't negotiate the pay but feel free to do that.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied on line. Called in to interview with assistant store manager. It was very informal. Met briefly with store manager. Pretty much told in the spot I had the job.

Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stein Mart in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a day later to schedules a interview. The interview was very easy since they were desperate for workers because it was a new store. A couple of hours later I got a call offering me a position and they ran a background check now after this is were it got weird it took FOREVER for my background check but I got called twice about the pay one manager told me 8.75 and the other told me 8.50 make sure you record any calls you receive