Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.9

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter. Chat with the design manager onsite. Onsite interview (portfolio review, 1:1s with designers/pm, total 4-5 hours of session). Waited a couple days to receive the final feedback.

Interview Questions

• Describe your design process & thinking in each project. How did you collaborate with the stakeholders?   Answer Question

Sep 13, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We love that you brought your skills to Thumbtack. We can't wait to see what you can do.

Data Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Before I start writing, I wanted to say my experience with the recruiter was very good, but I have to rate it on my real interview experience. And I also applause that they gave me real feedback.

I applied for the job through referral, and got response from the recruiter right away. And the recruiter was very responsive and flexible. I had to postpone my take-home twice, and she had no problem accommodating me.

I got the take-home, scanned through the data and questions, and knew right away that there is not enough information to answer the questions. But it's okay, I am all about being creative and answering questions without enough information. One example, the entire time, they asked you to analyze visitor data, when they didn't even bother to give you 'visitor id' in the data set. So I just assumed they meant web session since the data is about that, and there is not even a 'session id' either, and I had to ask if I can assume the records are unqiue. The last question was the one you really just cannot answer with concrete numbers unless you don't care about the business and make random things up, so I only recommended solutions.

When I got the feedback, I can tell whoever reviewed my work did not like that I said the data provided are not sufficient for answering the question. I pointed it out in my analysis that with the R-squared being so low, the features cannot be used to determine a concrete number they want without additional information, but they still think the data are in the data set. I know I am not the smartest person on earth, but I think they should understand numbers don't lie, and they might have data that they can use but were not offered to candidates. I certainly would not be happy with any recommendation came out of this data set if I were the company leader. BTW, the feedback says 'revenue' calculation when the question was a completely different topic.

I went out of the scope of the data set and came up with some other suggestions by researching their products, because they did ask about how they should grow their marketplace, but those suggestions were deemed as random.

I know my submission is by no means perfect, it's work done in hours (they gave you 48 hours). But dinging someone because the person had an opinion about the data... I am not sure if this is the kind of company I want to work for. Of course, I can misread what they said since not-in-person communication can always cause misunderstanding, just like they might not have fully understood what I said in my submission. This is probably the biggest shortfall of evaluating candidates based on take-home submissions. But again, I think they should realize there is inconsistency in terms of what they asked and what the data can answer.

Interview Questions

• Mostly are just some basic data analytics questions, pretty straight forward except the one you cannot answer if you don't want to make things up.   Answer Question

Sep 18, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Sincere apologies for the lack of clarification on the data take home test. We strive to ensure that the interview process is as transparent as possible and that our team provides the best candidate... More

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website and got an email asking me to take a Hacker Rank challenge about a week later with a semi-personalized email from a recruiter. The Hacker Rank wasn't that tricky (implement a very basic key-value database with rollback support). They gave two weeks to do the Hacker Rank, but stated the expectation was that I would finish it within 2-3 hours (which I did). A few days after I submitted, they sent denied me over email.

As far as I'm aware, I met all of the stated runtime complexity requirements. I passed all of the provided test cases and I also did some manual testing to ensure correctness. So, I'm confused as to why I got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Create a key-value database that supports transactions and rollbacks.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Interview

I was told there wouldn't be any algorithm problems in the phone interview, but lo and behold there were. I didn't practice for them, so I didn't do well on the algorithm problem.

Interview Questions

• Be familiar with all of the built-in Javascript functions and sorting   Answer Question

Aug 21, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We’re sorry there was an algorithm test when you were told there wasn’t one. We strive to ensure that the interview process is as transparent as possible and that our team provides the best candidate... More

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter and referred by an employee. Smooth and well laid-out process: recruiter call, on-site, coffee/sell chat, etc. Received a lot of helpful info from the recruiter and the interviewers. Everyone was welcoming and honest about the challenges (both wins and things that needed to be improved), which is what sold me on the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Thumbtack?   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

I applied online, was contacted by an internal recruiter and had a 30 minute conversation. We set up a technical interview with a hiring manager for a few days later. I had a phone call with the manager, was given a homework assignment, submitted, then heard a few days later they were going another direction.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen, Take Home Test, In person interview. Seemed unclear what exactly they were looking for. Case Study and more casual interview talking about yourself and the company environment and how you see yourself fitting in.

Interview Questions

• Explain linear regression to a non-technical person. Basically talked about how price could be influenced by certain factors. Asked to elaborate about independent dependent variables.   Answer Question

Senior Soft Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The initial phone screen went fine. They eventually called me back for a second coding phone screen. The interviewer mumbled quite a bit, it was very difficult to hear him describe the problem. I asked him several times to speak up and to speak clearer, his mumbling didn't improve. He described the practical as a test of understanding the CSS box model. By the end of the interview I realized that I had missed half of the instructions due to not understanding the interviewer and that his test on the box model was really a test on two specific styles used in flex box. Also, at the end of the interview bot the interviewer and I had realized that he had not configured the code pad properly. Javascript didn't end up executing the way it would normally in a browser. I burned quite a bit of time trying to figure out why it was behaving the way it did.

Overall, I was disappointed by the interview process due to the issues mentioned above. I have not heard back which I think is probably best for both parties.

Interview Questions

• The practical focused on positioning elements. If you are prepping for their interview use flex box instead of regular positioning in CSS. It is what they are looking for and what their practical selects for even if they state it is a practical dealing with the box model.   Answer Question

Aug 10, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the Software Manager interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time with us was not positive. We strive for a strong candidate experience where... More

IT Support Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I was really excited to Interview here as I had heard good things. The recruiting team forgot to send me an interview scheduling email, so I found out about my interviews when I got a 24 hour reminder. After over 3 hours of phone conversations and video interviews I got a boilerplate email from a no-reply email address. Seemed like genuinely nice people but overall average interviewing process.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with a live coding question followed by an on-site interview.

Thumbtack has one of the nicest offices I've ever visited. The on-site interview questions were not difficult. The coding question was easy and fair, though I could not finish it in the time given. I may have talked too much before the question was given, depriving me of valuable coding time.

There was a troubleshooting session involving a very unlikely scenario. I thought it was absurd but as the interviewee I played along. The interviewer probably had the intention of measuring your system knowledge. In my personal opinion, the question did a bad job of that and just measured your knowledge of system trivia. The other interview sessions were fair.