Thumbtack Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 338 of over 338 interviews

Recruiter18%
3.1
HardAverageEasy

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

They were very nice. I spent a day at the office. Had a few technical interviews and chatted with the cofounder. Technical interviews need to compile during the interview. Their food was delicious. Free Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Interview Questions
  • Practicing interview questions on leetCode is good.
    Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (New York, NY) in Apr 2021

Interview

Recruiter reached out through email to set up initial screening. I was then sent a take-home assignment and given the weekend to finish and submit a report. The take-home assignment was well thought out and seemed like a good representation of what kind of work I'd be doing on the job. Invited to a technical interview with 2 senior analysts. I was asked about my past experiences with SQL. Next round would've been a final interview with the rest of the team. Did not move on to final round

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (New York, NY)

Interview

It seems like they had streamlined the process so that the onsite follows the recruiter phone screen (optionally, there is a talk with the hiring manager). The recruiter was super nice and tried to make me feel excited for my talks with the team member. The team members were nice, but it was a case of the recruiter overselling the company (the more senior interviewers seemed more... detached and not so willing to talk). I did not have a good talk with the hiring manager, though one major factor was the poor internet connection in our Zoom call impacting my ability to understand them. But what was meant to be a behavioral interview kind of became them grilling me for the whole session. Perhaps this was a case where at least I learned I would not have meshed well with them. But I think this gives you a sense of what they're looking for: Data scientists who have worked in the consumer app space who own the whole process from project ideation all the way to production. That, and you probably should be familiar with the Thumbtack product going into the interview. Sadly, I never got the chance to ask many questions. Only two of the sessions allowed time for more than 1-2 questions.

Interview Questions
  • Make sure you can talk about your past projects in satisfactory ways.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2021

Interview

Overall great interview experience. My recruiter Kathy made sure I was clear on every step of the process as well as being there to answer any questions I had along the way. Went behavioral phone screen -> hackerank challenge -> technical phone screen -> virtual onsite. One thing I really enjoyed was that a good amount of the technical questions asked were related to Thumbtack which made working through them pretty fun. Definitely recommend and I'm looking forward to joining the team!

Interview Questions
  • Signed an NDA so can't go into details, but just be sure to study classic data structures and algorithms.

Thumbtack

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Thumbtack in Mar 2021

Interview

Thumbtack provided one of the more organized interview processes, and my experience with the recruiter was as good as I could have asked for. I went through a few rounds but did not receive an offer; however, the recruiter followed up with me to provide feedback, which is rare but very appreciated. Another positive aspect of the process is that the company was willing to interview someone who didn't have direct Marketplace and functional experience, which should encourage job seekers who feel he/she can bring value despite not being "plug and play."

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2021

Interview

Overall, the whole process is very organized and structured. Applied for the role through an employee's referral. It started with a technical assessment where I completed a small research design challenge with another UXR. I got positive feedback, which moved me to the final round of interview, virtual onsite. The final stage comprise a case study presentation, a 1:1 with hiring manager, a research exercise session, and a 1:1 with product partner. The team I met seems nice. However, the recruiter isn't that responsive.

Interview Questions
  • Can you talk about a time when you got some pushbacks from your stakeholders and what did you do to resolve the pushbacks?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (New York, NY) in Mar 2021

Interview

Applied directly through the portal. After the phone screen with the recruiter (Michelle E.) and a call with the hiring manager, I was asked to work on a case study related to marketing analytics over the weekend. Later I presented the analysis to a panel. Following that, I was invited to a final interview round of 4 interviews. Subsequently, I also met a few more folks from the team but that felt less like an interview and more like exploring mutual fit. Absolutely incredible experience overall!

Interview Questions
  • Case study related to marketing analytics. Very close to real world data. Questions are deliberately kept quite open-ended. Overall, a very interesting case study.
  • SQL round can get a bit tricky given that the interview is somewhat short (30 mins)
  • A bunch of technical as well as behavioral questions related to marketing analytics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

Interview

First-round is a talk with a recruiter, very easy - don't study for this. Asks mostly about interests, one technical question. The next round is with a senior researcher, asking technical questions. Next, are some more interviews with the research time, followed by an on-site.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Thumbtack

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

Interview process was smooth and typical, initial call with recruiter, call with a hiring manager, portfolio review, and some 1:1s. Gianni was my recruiter and was extremely professional, helpful, and thoughtful throughout the process. She was a great partner through each stage making sure to check in regularly and communicate next steps to prepare for each round. Great interview process and great team.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to make a compromise with a product manager

Thumbtack

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack

Interview

I applied online, and received a call from the Head of Business Recruiting within a few days. From there I interviewed with the hiring manager, completed a skills-testing assignment, and interviewed with other team members, and the department director to present the assignment and discuss. The Recruitment team was very attentive answering all my questions through the process, and was there every step of the way. On the morning of the team interview, the Recruiting Coordinator was there to virtually greet, and walk me through the schedule. In my experience Thumbtack has a rigorous process, and you get out of it what you put in. I really appreciated getting a chance to meaningfully engage with the team I would have been working with, and learning about the ins and outs of the department. If I did not have another offer that was more in line with my personal goals, I would have gladly accepted.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 338 Interviews