Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2018

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After applying online, a recruiter reached out to me within a month and got the process moving along. I made it to an onsite interview and my experience at the offices made me like Thumbtack even more. Unfortunately, no offer but everyone I encountered made the process enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Give a short lesson on any topic you want (asked before one of the technical questions).   1 Answer

Jan 11, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We love seeing that you had a positive interview experience. We hope you find the perfect job for you soon.

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The process was very straightforward and short, including a recruiter screen, hiring manager work review (onsite), and half day onsite consisting of a presentation, app critique, whiteboarding session, and lunch. The team was very welcoming and the office is pretty awesome.

Pro Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Came through a referral. Recruiter contacted me via email to setup a meeting with the hiring manager. Came in for a coffee with the hiring manager as opposed to a call, not sure if that is the norm. Was a great way to learn more in a 'low pressure' setting. From there was given a take home project. The project was focused on experiments I would run if I were in the role. After completing the project, was scheduled for an on-site interview to meet the team. Met with four team members, including the hiring and group manager along with two peers. Questions revolved around projects in my current role, focus was on stake holders and how I manage those expectations and keeping projects on track. Everyone I spoke with from start to finish was friendly and passionate about their role/team/company mission. Recruiting team was well organized which was greatly appreciated as that is sadly not always the case at various companies.

Interview Questions

• Projects I'm working on in current role? Current stake holders? How are those expectations managed, etc.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The recruiter was very nice and to the point. They set up the phone interview quickly.

After asking typical questions about my background, they gave me a question that was rated as hard in Leetcode(I looked it up after the interview). There was no way I could solve that over the phone in 45 minutes. To be honest I don't think many people would be able to do that, unless they have come across the question before. Also, the question didn't require any special data structures. So I don't think it had any values.

Interviewer didn't provide any hints either. He just provided the edge case where my algorithm didn't work.

Interview Questions

• Some tricky question with numbers. Didn't require any data structure.   Answer Question

Dec 4, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Sorry for the lack of time to complete this task. We will pass that specific feedback along. We strive to ensure that the interview process is as transparent as possible and that our team provides... More

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process was really quick. There was a coding challenge, 2 technical phone interview screen, and an on-site. This process was one of the most enjoyable interview process I have gone through. Enjoyed talking with the engineers both on-site and via call.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Top notch recruitment process with one of the best recruiters I've met in this city.
    Hard but fair questions at a company that looks like they are starting to see hyper growth.
    I wish I studied a bit more as this was one of my first interviews.

Analytics Manager Interview

Interview

When they reached out to me on linkedin, they told me there would be a certain number of direct reports. When I talked to the recruiter on the phone, she told me analytics managers start off as ICs and "grow into" the manager role. I guess their recruiters are willing to waste everybody's time to get people on the phone on false pretenses.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask me many questions, she just spent most of the time telling me the truth about the role   Answer Question

Nov 21, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We're sorry that the recruiter wasn't clear with what the job would entail. We strive for a strong candidate experience, but we are... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a linkedin message from a recruiter. Talked to another recruiter on the phone. Then did a phone screen with a developer. Then had an onsite with 5 interviews (including one lunch interview) 3 were programming challenges, one was a systems design question and one was a culture fit discussion.

Got the offer then was invited back to a 3rd round with a tech-lead, enginnering team lead and a co-founder for the final sell. Talked about the overall product architecture and company vision and goals.

Interview Questions

• Design a calendar application that lets people save events and get reminder notifications.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews with the coding questions. As well as the background chatting. It's fun to talk with sdes there. Not really difficult questions, but should have more thoughts. Overall, great experience.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Dec 13, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

It's great to see that you had fun during the interview process. We wish you the best of luck with your job search.

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

A couple rounds of interviews -- starting with a casual conversation at the office, then a take-home exercise, and then a full day of interviews and exercises on-site. The take-home exercise was actually quite fun, which led me to believe I would enjoy the role. I also really enjoyed each of my in-person interviews, and appreciated that I met so many different people for my on-site. It helped me get a better sense of the culture/company and feel that I would fit in.

Interview Questions

• They asked a number of questions! The most interesting ones were the case exercises where we did mock focus groups and mock conversations with product managers.   Answer Question