Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Associate Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied to this job through Glassdoor, but they called it "Product Strategy & Ops Associate" when I applied.

The interview process was long, but it was by far one of the smoothest interview process I've been through thanks to the recruiting team there.

Here were the steps I went though:
    1. Phone call with HR.
    2. Phone call with hiring manager.
    3. Presentation/exercise of reviewing quantitative and qualitative data and making product recommendations.
    4. 3-hour on-site interview.
    5. Final phone call with the hiring manager. (I didn't get to this part)

The presentation was interesting, I liked the topic and that told me I would have liked the job if I had gotten it. The way they structured it was very confusing though. They used a handful of internal metrics and gave vague definitions, even after I probed. Also, Thumbtack's platform has been through a number of changes in the past few years. But the assignment provided data and screen-shots from 2016, and I was to give product recommendations. But what if the solutions to these 2016 problems were fixed in 2018's version of Thumbtack? Was I supposed to suggest 2018's product implementations and pretend I didn't know they were in use (which is what I did for about half of it)? Was I to ignore 2018's solutions and provide newer ones? It was just a mess, and they should update the assignment. It almost hurts you if you are familiar with their product. It could be so much better. They said the assignment should take me 4 hours, but I'll admit I spent like 2 full days on it. If I had the time, why not?

The on-site interview was long (3-hours), but actually very efficient. It wasn't just asking behavioral questions, but broken down into three hour-long sessions: presenting my assignment, user testing focus group exercise, and a case study. It didn't feel like 3 hours. All of this I was extremely prepared for because the recruiting team told me everything I needed to know to prepare a week before coming in. But the interviewers could have been more engaged. Some were eating lunch while speaking to me, some seemed 'too cool' to be acting in the "mock focus group". And I hate vague questions in interviews--if you know what you want me to answer, just ask me straight up and I'll get it 'right' or 'wrong'. This all might be nitpicking, but if they strive for perfection this is what I have to offer.

During the on-site, there's a lot of questions on pricing, user empathy, product management-driven suggestions. Remember this role is a category manager, so it's about fixing specific categories Thumbtack has (like home, or pets) and also making things work all together as a full platform. Through the assignments and questions you have to think of the users, the pros, the specific category, the whole platform, and Thumbtack as a business.

I was disappointed I didn't get it, especially having gone through 4 of 5 steps in the process. And especially especially because of the free lunches cooked in-office every single day. I arrived around lunch time and it looked delicious.

What I liked about the team was the work they did. I felt pretty excited about the opportunity to do that type of work at a large tech company. Also, the team's diversity in terms of races and ages was strong. Overall, the people were nice, and I was able to see myself working comfortably with most of them.

What I didn't like about the team was they claim to want people of diverse professional backgrounds, and maybe that's true for the larger team, but of the 5 people I met and the 1 person who ended up getting the job over me, all of them came from business analyst or consulting positions. I was also supposed to meet 6 people, but 1 wasn't able to make it. Which would've been fine if that person wasn't potentially the exact person I'd be reporting to if I had got the job. They also didn't know what the exact role was they were hiring for (they needed a category manager, but didn't know what category they would be assigned to). That was a slightly strange part of the experience for a candidate.

Again, the recruiting team was so helpful and quick to respond. One of the best recruiting teams I've ever worked with. They had really robust feedback after nearly every step of the process (mostly after I submitted my assignment and after my on-site interview). Except they gave me a shirt at the end of my interview that had Thumbtack's logo and they assumed my size, so it's way too small, and why would I want a shirt of a company who didn't hire me anyway lol. Also, I was told in an email on a Friday they made a decision, so they set up a call with me on Monday to tell me the decision... Perfect way to ruin a weekend with overthinking.

Interview Questions

• How would x metric affect y?
      How would you fix a problem specific to one category without affecting other categories?
      A ton of questions on pricing, so brush up on marketplace pricing and how Thumbtack makes money.   Answer Question

Oct 29, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for the detailed review of your experience. We appreciate you letting us know of both the pros and the cons of the interview process. The insight helps us improve in the future. We wish you... More

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by two in person interviews. All three interviews were very informal with the purpose of identifying a cultural fit. Everyone I met was very personable, laid-back and friendly. The Draper office is beautiful and their employees are provided with free lunches and snacks. The office had game rooms and employees seemed to enjoy working together. In the end, I was not offered the position.

Associate Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process started with an initial recruiter phone screen, which also outlined the different stages of the interview process upfront. The next stages were a phone interview, take-home assignment, and a day of on-site interviews.

The interviews and exercises were focused around business problems that the team is trying to solve which helped me better understand the role/day-to-day. A lot of the interview questions are geared to see if you can interpret different types of data, synthesize it, and develop some type of recommendation. I really enjoyed doing the take-home and on-site interviews, which signaled to me that the role would be a good fit.

By the end of the interview process, I had talked to many different members of the team and got a pretty good sense for the culture of the team and company.

This role is also known as 'Product Strategy & Operations Associate'

Interview Questions

• The take-home asks you to identify key issues (based on quant, qual data) and provide recommendations to remedy them   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews, I got an invitation to onsite interview. Thumbtack just helped me set up everything - round trip tickets, hotels and lunch with employee at Thumbtack. It's a delightful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• There are multiple services in Thumbtack. Some services couldn't be triggered until service or service(s) existed. Given an arrangement of services, write down code to check if it's legal. For example, if service C must came after service A&B, then A ->C ->B is not a legal, while A ->B ->C or B ->A ->C is legal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Technical phone screen, followed by an on-site. All interviewers were friendly, nice, and the problems were representative of real-life problems, which I like better than the typical whiteboard algorithm-heavy interviews. My recruiter was also great, and did a great job at making me understand what makes the place so great.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Welcome to the team. We're excited to see what you bring to the table.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I reached out to a recruiter directly, and was set up with a technical phone screen. The recruiter mentioned that because I had applied in the past, and had finished a coding challenge then, I wouldn't have to do it again. The phone interview was set up quickly and was pretty standard. After moving on, I was invited onsite to their HQ in San Francisco.

The on-sites consisted of 1 technical interview, then a 30-minute lunch interview, and then 3 more 1-hour technical interviews. Their interviews all started with a simple "Tell me about project X" that you've done. It only takes about 10 minutes, but it's probably good to prepare answers for these. Each of the interviews were done on a laptop in a shared HackerRank.

The thing with Thumbtack is that they expect your code to compile and run for all interviews. If you're not prepared for this, it can be a pretty big shock, especially if you're used to doing pseudocode on the whiteboard. I'm not a huge fan of this because you end up wasting a lot of time at the end fixing syntax and compiler errors. Remember your imports!

After the interviews, my recruiter came in to check in and answer any final questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

There was a hackerrank and two technical interviews, after which I was called on-site for an interview. The on-site had two interviews and a lunch. The office was great and so were the people over there. Would have loved to get an offer to work there, but sadly I didn't. Will definitely apply next year.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiters have poor communication, very slow to respond, and very unprofessional. All communication with them had generic automated responses, and will cancel on you last minute (positions filled up already). I felt like I was wasting my time talking and waiting for them to respond all the time.

Engineers are friendly during interviews, and are enjoyable to talk with. Solving the coding questions were fairly simple, and they will provide some hints/guiding questions if needed.

Process [New Grad]: HackerRank -> 2x phone screens -> onsite (canceled)

Interview Questions

• Closest Palindrome   Answer Question
    • Spell Checker - implement a spell checker that returns the correct word for an input word. Given a dictionary of correct words as input. Correct for capitalization and vowels in input word   Answer Question

Nov 28, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding the interview process. We’re sorry to hear that your time wasn’t valued. We strive for a strong candidate experience where each candidate feels engaged... More

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Started with a linkedin message from a recruiter. Talked to another recruiter on the phone. Then did a phone screen with a developer. Then had an onsite with 5 interviews (including one lunch interview) 3 were programming challenges, one was a systems design question and one was a culture fit discussion.

Got the offer then was invited back to a 3rd round with a tech-lead, enginnering team lead and a co-founder for the final sell. Talked about the overall product architecture and company vision and goals.

Interview Questions

• Design a calendar application that lets people save events and get reminder notifications.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience interviewing with Thumbtack. From the beginning, I felt that the company was vested in learning what I was looking for - from the recruiter screen to the offer sell. As for the actual on-site, it was very collaborative - in stark contrast to many other companies I interviewed with where one is tasked to come up with a solution by themselves. One thing to note is that Thumbtack expects your code to compile, so high level psuedo-code wont cut it.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you can teach me in five minutes? (Doesn't have to be programming related)   Answer Question