Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Thumbtack Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2018

Associate Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process started with an initial recruiter phone screen, which also outlined the different stages of the interview process upfront. The next stages were a phone interview, take-home assignment, and a day of on-site interviews.

The interviews and exercises were focused around business problems that the team is trying to solve which helped me better understand the role/day-to-day. A lot of the interview questions are geared to see if you can interpret different types of data, synthesize it, and develop some type of recommendation. I really enjoyed doing the take-home and on-site interviews, which signaled to me that the role would be a good fit.

By the end of the interview process, I had talked to many different members of the team and got a pretty good sense for the culture of the team and company.

This role is also known as 'Product Strategy & Operations Associate'

Interview Questions

• The take-home asks you to identify key issues (based on quant, qual data) and provide recommendations to remedy them   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

HR --> Tech Screen --> Onsite (Panel + 1vs1s)

Overall, the interview process was organized and well thought out. Instead of focusing on random probability questions, Thumbtack was actually trying to find a person that can work as a data scientist: manipulate data, design/implement modeling problems, and communicate methods and results.

All the data manipulation/modeling/coding questions were done on the computer with the language/packages of my preference.

The interviewers were all very chill and friendly. You also get to have lunch with a member from a different team to ask questions and get a different view of the company.

Interview Questions

• Can you do xyz with data? How will you solve this business question? How will you implement it?   Answer Question

Thumbtack Response

Jun 19, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

It’s great to see how productive your interview was. Welcome to the team!

Category Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

The interview is similar to consulting firm or traditional investment bank (not technology-based trading firm) If you have MBA without engineering degree this position probably fits you well.
    Thumbtack is technology-based team who would value technology and data science but I feel like the team doesn't have strong relationship with developer. They want you to tackle down the problem as they do. Ask the question what consulting firm usually ask. I cannot expect diversity from this team.
    I love the thumbtack and the product but I didn't hear anything which amazes me directly from this team and this team kind of uses an old way to evaluate candidate. As the job board mentions data-driven but for me nothing related to data or technology. Just a typical consulting firm which doesn't get involved much in technology.

Interview Questions

Interview

I was contacted by a Thumbtack recruiter. It was a standard process starting with a phone screen followed by half a day of on site panels. The questions were all framed with non-technical / cultural opener followed by a technical question. There was also an opportunity to ask questions after each round. Finally, I was invited back to talk about topics of my choosing with several leadership members of the company. My recruiter was very communicative, set expectations, and was able to answer all of my questions. The interview experience with Thumbtack was excellent, and the final reverse-interview round had a large impact on my final decision!

Interview Questions

• Culture questions about my own interests and experience. Technical questions around application design, testing, layout, and front end technologies.   Answer Question

Associate Product Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

1) Phone Screen with Recruiter
    2) Phone Screen with Hiring Manager
    Homework Assignment
    3) Onsite Interview (Met ~4-5 people from the team)

The Recruiter was awesome - really understood the role/team/marketing organization as a whole, was helpful and very responsive, made the interview process very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

May 22, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We think our recruiters are awesome too. We love how smoothly your interview went, and wish you the best of luck with the job search.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

The interview process was seamless and consisted of 3 stages total. Each step of the way my Recruiter I was working with prepped me for what to expect and made herself available for any questions I may have. My recruiting coordinator also was great to work with and even toured me around the office during my onsite. Overall a very positive experience!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the best I've experienced. Starting from the phone screening all the way to the offer process, my recruiter was genuinely interested in me and only wanted the best for me. All the people I've interviewed with seems like people I would want to work with.

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

The whole process was pretty seamless. There was a design team screening then full on-site including a 60-minute portfolio review and individual 1:1s with a PMM and the VP of Marketing. The recruiting team ensured that each part of the process was carefully planned and outlined. They also ensured that I had all of my questions answered. I interviewed at 4 other companies, and this was the only company that made me feel welcomed and cared for.

Salesforce Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Incredible interview process. Very friendly recruiter and the team that interviewed was extremely professional. The company seems like a wonderful place to work. Friendly culture with a mission to help small business connect with the customer.

Interview Questions

• When a project goes in the wrong direction and work has to stop, what do you do?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

After 2 conversations on the phone with the recruiter, and a technical writing exercise, I was brought in to the office and had a great discussion with 2 of the team members and the Manager of the team. My background is primarily in Sales of Net New business while working with a subset of very large current customer accounts.

When requesting feedback on the interview in order to improve, the response provided was simply that I didn't meet the needs of the team and neither did anyone else, the day when I was on-site. There was no constructive criticism provided which lead them to their decision.

Interview Questions

• How were you able to guide a customer from a point of leaving to a point of being successful in a previous role?   Answer Question