Toys "R" Us Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2017

2.7

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Rialto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Rialto, CA).

Interview

Roundtable / Group interviews. Initial contact phone, one on one intervjew with Human Resource District Manager , one on one with Regional Vice President final contact with store manager for final hiring decision for right placement and fit

Interview Questions

• How do you spell Geoffrey the gjraffe   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Toys "R" Us

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Fort Wayne, IN) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was asked for phone interview. Process was relatively simple and in line with other retail interviews that I've participated in. Hiring manager was friendly and helpful. Interview is best conducted when treating it like a conversation. The weirdest/most discouraging part of the process was this extremely long online questionnaire/test I had to take.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a customer complaint?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Boca Raton, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

What was said in the interview was not what was found to be true. The interviewer I found out had an applicant of a specific ethnicity in mind. My interview was a dog and pony show

Anonymous Employee in Meridian, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Meridian, MS) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long and extensive. You are interviewed by multiple regional and other managers. You will have an interview with the district manager, regional asset protection manager, regional human resources manager, and one of the corporate human resource managers. If all of these managers approve of you , then you will receive an offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience and what makes that relevant for Themis job?   Answer Question
    • How do you hold others accountable?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They are stuck on their offer, it is take it or leave it. I was able to negotiate some, but I was highly qualified for the job.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us.

Interview

Interview with a recruiter, than DM, than HR Director/Regional VP. Overall a very smooth process that took about a month. Very professional, and overall a very good experience. My expereince may not be the same as someone elses. It really depends on the people who interview you.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Tampa, FL) in November 2013.

Interview

You will have several phone interviews and then 1 or 2 in person interviews. The first phone interview will be with a recruiter. Then you will have one with an HR rep. You in person interview will be with a DM, HR, and a member of Regional leadership (RD or RVP)

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to come to Toys "R" Us?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

The interview process is pretty easy. The company has pretty low expectations and hardly ever turns anyone down. In fact, during my interview, we stopped because the district manager said that I sounded like I wrote the questions that he was asking me. The interview was very awkward because the district manager sat on the desk the whole time over me- like an intimidation move.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions- I was asked if I wrote the interview questions. They are all behavioral based- like Wal-Mart and Target. In fact, an exec from Target wrote the Toys R Us interview packets. They all start with "tell me about a time, or describe when" pretty remedial and easy to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Fairfax, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with five people, two phone calls and three different locations in three cities within five days of applying online. This includes two HR, two DM, and the VP. Behavioral and situational questions will be asked by all five people. After the last interview, all five will compare notes for consistency.

Negotiation

I gave them a $5,000 range from looking at Glass door salaries. They gave me what I asked for. I believe I could I gotten more.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us in July 2013.

Interview

Standard touch base with a recruiter via phone to verify you are a good candidate to move forward in the process. General discussion about your past, background, leadership style etc... Met next with a DM in a store of their choosing, unscripted interview; mostly general discussion around leadership competencies. DM talked a lot about his career and experiences, some general "tell me about a time when" questions. After DM interview drove to regional office two days later to meet with RVP, Asset Protection VP and Regional HR Director. Panel style interview with formal questions and general discussion around leadership competencies, problem solving, root cause analysis and shrink awareness.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer came the following day, offer was negotiable but made within the guidelines that I established with the recruiter. Bonus eligibility should not sway your decision, aim to max your salary compensation as bonuses are rarely paid out. Benefits are decent but expensive, keep that in mind.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Columbia, SC) in November 2012.

Interview

Had phone interview with a recruiter, then interviewed in person with regional hr mgr, and then ultimately with regional mgr.
    questions were pretty standard and they were clearly trying to get a sense of who you were.
    They spent a LOT of selling me on who Toys R Us supposedly was and how they wanted someone with my experience somewhere else to help them take TRU to another level (I later figured out they don't want any input because they feel like they know everything).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They clearly had thought through what they needed to offer, but my suggestion would be to ignore the bonus "potential" they will spend a lot of time talking about because it's unlikely you will make it.