Toys "R" Us Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

Sort:

Part Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Culver City, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was called first by the HR Manager for the location, and she said that I was to come in the very next day for a group interview.

There were three other candidates with me, and we all went around the table telling everyone our name, and favorite toy growing up.

We were then asked to go out into the store, pick any toy, and we took turns selling the toy to the managers. (The best prep for this is to either have a toy already in mind before-hand, or when you get the toy start reading the box right away.) They ask you various questions about the toy, what the age group is, does it contain choking hazards, and ho many batteries (if any) does it take.

Then we were told to wait outside to be brought in one by one. Two girls went in first for about 10 minutes, then were dismissed, then me and the other girl were brought in for an offer. The hired us both.

Part Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Lafayette, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

They do group interviews and do a series of activities meant to see how social you are, how well you can speak to others, and how well you can sell.

Interview Questions

• Grab a toy from the floor. Now sell us this toy, going over the features and why it would appeal to parents.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They tell you what you'll be making and you fill out a paper with availability. They have the option to reject the availability and request their own changes.

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was very average. I applied online and they called me in. First there was a group interview about 15-20 people. They showed a 20 minute video and asked a few questions to the group. After that the assistant manager came in and spoke to us about the job and holiday schedule. Then they asked us to go pick up a toy and bring it back and give a description and sale it. After that individually we spoke to the HR manager and assistant manager to answer a few questions and wrap up the interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

hiring process is group interviews. love the process

Interview Questions

• only talked about experience and behavioral questions. conflict management   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Paramus, NJ) in July 2008.

Interview

Applied online. After receiving an email establishing interest, I received a follow up call for a phone interview. The successful phone interview was followed with two face to face interviews by the DM and the regional HR.

Interview Questions

• There were no trick questions. The line of questions was very straight forward, but also geared towards store management, not from the perspective of an associate. It is a good idea to keep your answers with the store unit and company needs in mind   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary negotiation is HEAVILY based on prior experience. The same exact position can be held by individuals earning tens of thousand more or less due to how you interviewed and your retail work experience.

All three interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Though the interviews themselves were warm and stress-free, there was very clear line of questioning screening for management experience and competence. There were many hypothetical scenarios with touchy or difficult performance management components which are pretty common in retail.

The questions, while conversational, came quickly and had a practiced delivery to them. The impression I received was that they were not trying to trip you up, but rather to get your instinctive responses to gauge your ability to react quickly and appropriately should similar situations arise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

I got in touch with the Toys team through my school. The staff members were really nice and the interviews are straight forward, with some difficult questions. They got back to me 2-3 weeks later. The team that I worked with though was very unorganized. I felt like no one really knew what was going on with when they would get back to me; they even lost my application and I had to apply again. I really wanted to work for the company and after 3 interviews I got a misleading call that I was the perfect fit for the position in their headquarters (in NJ). But that statement apparently didn't mean that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a very lazy employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Las Vegas, NV) in April 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for internal promote from Department Supervisor to Assistant Store Manager.

Negotiation

All newly promoted ASMs make the same salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Gainesville, FL) in October 2010.

Interview

Was told in the interview that I would receive a second interview, but received an email a few weeks later saying that i was rejected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yorktown Heights, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Yorktown Heights, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

General, unimaginative phone interview. What's your strengths, weakness? Why Toys R Us? Blah, blah, blah. The interview actually went very well, but I wasn't given an offer b/c of my bad credit.

Anonymous Employee in Montebello, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Toys "R" Us (Montebello, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

Groups interview/ observation in three phases;

part 1) They gave us a piece of paper to fold and asked us to write or draw three things; 1) favorite song and why 2) your first job, 3) your hobbies. Obviously they want to see your creative side and the kid inside. so don't feel to get creative..

Part2) the managers pared us up with partners and assigned us a bucket of building blocks. We were suppose to build a product and think off all the features and prices, seasons, etc... pretty much sell the product to them(once again don't be afraid to get Creative)

Part 3) individual interview consisted of two very simple questions, 1) why do you want to work for Toys R Us 2) what are your strengths and opportunities.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Depends on experience