Union Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Union Pacific

2.7

Sort:

Computer Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Found them at my college and interviewed with them on campus the following day. They asked me some simple questions and tried to get a feel for what I am after in my position. Seemed like good people to work for and the guy interviewing me looked to be the supervisor on site as well. 3 panel sitting across from me.

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied in September of 2013 and I was offered a phone interview in December of 2013. The questions were mostly behavior and personality questions. I was offered an in person interview in January of 2014. They flew me to Omaha, NE for the in person interview the day before and paid for the hotel. It was an all day thing. The panel interviews were not difficult at all; mostly behavior questions. I was nervous at first, but there is no need to be. The BAPT test is pretty simple as long as you understand how to program.

About two weeks later I received an offer. The offer was more than I expected, and I accepted.

You have to be patient because it is a long process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation wasn't an option. The number they offered was very generous though.

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in November 2012.

Interview

Two panel interviews (technical, management) and a basic assessment test. The assessment test was supposed to take 2 hours, but took maybe 20 minutes. A surprising number of people fail it.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation in a language that was described by the test   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had a campus interview and it was mostly a behavioral type interview. The duration was about 30 minutes and it was a very pleasant experience. Be prepared to tell why you want to work for Union Pacific. It helps to not have a generic answer and to show sincerity in what they do.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2013.

Interview

I had three phone interviews, and one face to face interview. I also had to take the Berger Advance Programming Test. The process was pretty straight forward. One of the wierdest questions asked on the application is "Do you smoke tobacco?". If you smoke, forget UP. They are looking for non smokers.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. However, UP tries to corner you in a on a job. If you are looking for a job with a wide range of tasks to perform. UP is not the company for you. They are looking for very focus set of skills to fill their very focused position.

Berger Advance Programming Test (B-APT) is a joke. It was so easy a kid in elementary school can take it, and pass it.

The interview process was a waste of time. They already knew who they were going to hire before the in person interview, but they force me to go to Omaha anyways.

What a huge waste of time. If you are software person, DO NOT WORK FOR UP. You are better off working at a real tech company, not a wanna be tech company, which is what UP claims to be - A WANNA BE TECH.

One last thing, if you are not married, and have no kids, do not apply at UP. They want traditional family units. If you have a live in girl friend DO NOT APPLY AT UNION PACIFIC. This will automatically disqualify you from the hiring process. By the way during the interview process, they ask me if I was married, or have kids. Isn't this question illegal. Maybe some discrimination going on here?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

Interview

Invited for on campus interview after speaking with a recruiter at on campus job fair. The first interview as mostly behavioral with one object oriented programming type question. After that I took the BAPT test at the local UP office. After passing that, I was invited to UP headquarters where I had two rounds of panel interviews, one technical and one leadership based. Finally, I was matched with a couple different managers for interviews of varying difficulty.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an object and a class?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between an interface and an abstract class?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Went to the UP booth at a college career fair, and one of the booth members scheduled me for a next-day on-campus interview after looking at my resume. The interview was totally behavioral. They were all standard behavioral questions: why do you want to work at UP, most successful/difficult team experience, etc. I do not think I did well, only ok, but at the same time I did not want the internship that bad (I had better (for me) ones in mind).

Labor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Don't smoke. Be on time and be prepared to exercise a little. You basically just have to pass the drug screening process. Then there's the 60 day on the job training where people have b even let go of or fired on there 59th day.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Approx. 1 week after the job closed I was invited to take a online management test. 5 days after that was scheduled for an interview. I was told of the proposed start date which was 2 months after the interview. I went for a psychological exam. A medical exam and physical fitness test. A background exam. That was followed by a week long training program in Omaha Nebraska. The process was very straight forward and the company did a good job of keeping me informed during every step.

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume, certification and answered a bunch of qualification questions that got me to an online personality test. The test takes about an hour to complete and makes no sense of some of the questions asked. I qualified for an interview and about a week later was emailed a date/time for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• What qualifies you for this position   1 Answer
    • What does a special agent do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you know about our company.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a situation you had where you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What do you like the least/most about your current job?   Answer Question
    • What are your personal strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • If we were to ask your boss what type of person you are, how would they respond?   Answer Question