Union Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Union Pacific

2.7

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Lancaster, CA) in March 2020.

Interview

I used to own my own landscaping business for 30 years I know everything that there is to do with construction I can paint interior and exterior like a professional I work for United Postal Service for three months as a seasonal help her delivering packages to customers homes

Train Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corpus Christi, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Corpus Christi, TX) in March 2020.

Interview

The interview process can be a little overwhelming. I interviewed in Corpus Christi, when I arrived to the hotel the conference room was full with over a hundred candidates interviewing for only 5 available slots. Don’t stress out just present yourself in a professional manner.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Straight to the point and quick. Multiple occasions where you are asked if this is the right job and industry for you due to the work / life balance. Took just a couple weeks from email invite to phone call offering me the job. Everyone was courteous and polite during the process.

Machinist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Houston, TX).

Interview

You apply online only. You may be asked to go take a basic mechanical aptitude test. I had to go over a hundred miles for it. If you are granted an interview, pay close attention. They will try to trick you into failing.

Interview Questions

• The asked for my certification and experience.   1 Answer

Installation Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Columbia, IL) in December 2019.

Interview

Panel interview consisted of 2 face-to-face hosts (department Manager and Area Manager), and a Skype call to the area HR representative. All candidates were present for the first hour or so.

The HR rep went over the company side of things (safety, brief company history, importance of attendance), then handed the process over to the 2 face-to-face hosts.

They spoke for about 30 minutes, being very specific to outline the job duties, schedule, work requirements, and day-to-day tasks. They also explained emergency procedures (natural occurrences that require calling in emergency repair, crews that work together to bring the required equipment to get towers running again, etc), tools required/supplied, training schedules, seniority (relative to vacation, bidding onto new locations after 2 years, etc).

They also gave you extreme examples of what to expect, and made sure that the candidates left in the room were genuinely interested in the job.

According to the 3 interviewers, several people declined the interview after hearing details about the job, and several others showed up late (the doors were locked at 8a so any late arrivals were refused the opportunity to interview).

After the hour overview and job outline, they released us to the lobby of the hotel we interviewed at. After about 5-7 minutes, the interviewers came out and called us in, 1-by-1, in the order in which we arrived for the interview.

As a side-note; I was the only person that interviewed who did NOT have previous tower experience. All other candidates were already tower technicians for other companies (CenturyLink, AT&T, and Dish).

I feel that I was the lowest qualified candidate of the 4 of us in the room, and the only reason I was given an interview was for my previous Network/SysAd jobs where I had setup full mesh systems with node and peripheral additions/upgrades.

Interview Questions

• Who is responsible for safety on the job site?   Answer Question
    • What's the longest distance of ethernet/fiber/coax that you have ran   Answer Question
    • What is the pin-out of Cat 5e?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference in pin-outs between 568A and 568B?   Answer Question
    • What circumstances would require terminating 568A vs 568B?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between single-node and multi-node fiber?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think we should hire you?   Answer Question
    • How many times have you been late to a job in the last 2 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe a circumstance in which you faced a difficult employee or co-worker. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What type of hand held tools do you have experience with on the job?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Atlanta, GA) in September 2019.

Interview

I applied through Handshake, then received an email asking me to sign up for an in-person interview at my school. Did the interview and they basically told me I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a supervisor who presented something wrong and you knew that what they said was incorrect?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Atlanta, GA) in September 2019.

Interview

Reached out to me on my campus recruiting site to apply. Was offered an on campus interview 3 days later. Scheduled it for 5 days later. Was purely behavioral like "describe a situation where...". Asked about proficiencies in a long list of technologies. Did not have to prove that proficiency. Got the offer a week and a half later.

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest accomplishment? (technical or not)   Answer Question

Carman Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Basic hiring session situation. Group of 10 to 20 get brief description of job and conditions. Info given about pay and benefits also. Given a time slot to come back for one on one interview.

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE).

Interview

Phone interview, panel interview with a list of questions from HR, submission of a work product. They questions are really canned and very few actually have anything to do with the job, mostly just behavioral questions. The final step in the process was that we had to submit a work product for a made up scenario.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Over the phone. There was an interview with HR and then an interview with my manager. They got back to me really quickly. Asked a lot of questions about previous work experience and safety.

Interview Questions

• What is something you’ve done that shows you’re safety minded?   Answer Question