WillowTree Android Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WillowTree Android Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at WillowTree

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

I actually met the CTO/Founder at a presentation he gave at a school. He put me in touch with the team lead for a brief technical interview and a follow up test project to assess my capabilities. After that I got an offer, and gladly accepted. That said, I was hired a few years ago, and our hiring process has changed a bit since then.

Interview Questions

• The test project was tricky, but representative of the type of projects WillowTree does.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for WillowTree

Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at WillowTree.

Interview

Met with the recruiting manager at a Career fair and left my resume. Was asked a few months later for an in person interview. Interview went well and was given a test project. Project was reviewed and questions were asked about thought process and methods used to complete project.

Interview Questions

• Only difficult part of the interview process was the test project they sent after the group interview with a few of their developers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

One thing I have found is that WillowTree's interview process is inconsistent, but here are the five steps I and some others here on Glassdoor had to go through.

1. Video "Interview"
    This consisted of a series of very abstract questions that you have seconds to prepare for and a minute or so to answer. I felt like I did poorly, but I got invited to the next step regardless. This was very awkward and strange.

2. Phone Interview with recruiter
    This was a short non-technical interview over the phone about general things like why you want to work there, your background, etc. The recruiter (Heather) is very nice and pleasant to talk to.

3. Phone/In-Person Technical Interview
    I was able to come in for this one as I am local to the area. It took about an hour and consisted of very abstract, open questions and some whiteboarding. I, again, did poorly on the open-ended questioning but did alright on the whiteboarding. Still, I was ushered into the next step.

4. Test Project
    You are given instructions on an app to create, but are given creative liberty on most things. Shouldn't take very long unless you decide to polish and add extra features (as I did). You do this on your own time (at least in my case).

5. On-Site Interviewing
    The final step is a full schedule of interviews/meetups from about 10am to 3:30pm. This consists of technical interviews, lunch with the Android team (in my case), and interviews with other people.

Overall:

Overall, I can't characterize my experience with WillowTree as positive or negative as yet, as I haven't interviewed for a full-time position before this. However, I do have some observations about the process and what I saw of the environment and the people that work there.

Throughout the process, I came to realize that WillowTree is quite a bit disorganized and messy. Their office is a characterization of this, as it is uncomfortably crowded, although I believe they are supposed to be expanding their space soon.

They really like to ask broad, abstract questions. I had to ask many times for a more specific question. I don't know if this is a common thing in technical interviews, but I feel like it hit a weakness of mine and misrepresented my knowledge of the subject. This is mostly because the questions were unexpected and caught me off guard. I think more specific, targeted questions would be a better way to see if the candidate understands the concept or not. I found it really hard to try and retrieve an entire concept from memory then figure out what to say about it.

Lastly, I never imagined the process would be so long. I put a lot of time into this entire process, especially due to the time taken for the test project. It was also very difficult, and very dependent on your performance under pressure.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Durham, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

I interview with the recruiter where I was offered a ton of background information about WillowTree and had the time to have all of my questions answered. From there, I spoke on the phone in a light technical interview then submitted the test project soon after (which was rather interesting, positive). The last stage I was brought in for more technical questions, discussed my test project, then more time to have my questions answered. The entire process was very straightforward and pleasant

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

WillowTree came to my school for a job fair, and afterwards I applied online. After waiting a couple months, I finally got a reply because they had some issues with an HR person leaving. However, after they finally made contact with me, the process only took a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• What's a context object? How would you do image loading? Networking?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Williamsburg, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through their company website and they got back to me quite fast. I was then told to submit a sample of my work thru github, and a week after they gave me the intern position. Quick and painless. I would recommend to future appliers to work rigorously on a project that they both start and submit to the store (if possible) - it shows you have drive, passion and the skill required to adequately perform the job.

Android Developer Interview

Interview

First round did a pre-recored video which has basic android related questions.
    The next day got a phone call from a recruiter, after being asked when I can start, I mentioned
    I can start as soon as my H1B visa gets transferred, she said they are small company and never did employee visa transferred, and implicitly rejected me. I feel like she didn't even know what H1B visa is, if a company hires a HR doesn't know basic stuff, company wont have a bright future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WillowTree (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and reached out to a recruiter. She then sent me a link to complete a video interview within 3 days. The video interview gives you between about 1-2mins to answer each of the 10questions, and about 10-30secs before you record yourself to practice your answer. The video interview means you record yourself answering specific questions. About half of them behavioral and the other half Android based. I thought I did well, but then again, I didn't even get to talk to a real person before getting rejected so I guess not.

Interview Questions

• Why WillowTree? Difference between fragment and Activity? What happens when you rotate your device in Android? Pretty straightforward questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Durham, NC) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted the next day to begin the process.

The first interview was entirely online with no real contact with a person. You are asked a question, given a brief amount of time to prepare your answer and then a minute or two to record your answer. The questions are simple and if you have actually developed for Android before you will know them.

The second interview was with a recruiter. It was mostly a background information interview to get to know you a little better. You will have the opportunity here to ask some questions about WillowTree.

The third and final interview *for me* was a technical interview with a senior engineer. I was asked a couple of background questions, then we moved on to the technical portion. The technical portion was completely straight forward, no broad "open ended" questions as some have stated. They were standard "name some difference between x and y", or "how would you perform task z?" type questions. After that we did a couple of questions where I actually wrote code in a shared document/text editor and discussed the answers as well as why I chose the way I did things. If you are a decent engineer you shouldn't have much to worry about.

So why was it a neutral experience overall? The way I was rejected and the reasoning behind it were a bit odd to me. Lacking professional experience is a perfectly valid reason to not want to hire someone. I understand that completely. However, my level of experience was known from the very beginning. Why have me go through 3 separate interviews, where I performed well, only to then decide that I did not have enough experience? It didn't make sense to me but surely they have their reasons and of course, they can hire or not hire whoever the wish... But I would have handled that differently.

One more note about the rejection. Receiving a message from "System", rather than a human, felt a bit weird. It wasn't a major issue, just odd for being at that stage.

Should you apply to WillowTree? Sure. They seem like a good company in general. Everyone who worked there that I spoke with seemed to genuinely enjoy it and were nice helpful people. Beyond that, WillowTree is a successful company with a wide range of products.

Good luck.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard Java/Android questions. Compare and contrast X and Y. If you have to perform task Z how would you do it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at WillowTree (Charlottesville, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

First step was a video interview where you respond to timed questions; fairly easy. Next was a phone screen with an engineer. Felt like I struggled a little bit, but I made it to the next stage which was a test project where you could use their template or roll with your own. You are given 8 hours to do so (there's no automatic timer or anything like that, just turn in a zip file). After getting that reviewed I was asked to come onsite. All expenses (airfaire, hotel, etc) were paid and they put me in a pretty nice hotel in walking distance to the mall & office.

The office is very nice. When you walk in you see on their walls they have the logos of clients they've had past and present and they are all big names you recognize. I was given a tour around the office then lead to the first interview room. That was my worst interview as it was a technical interview and I just fell flat on solving the problem. The rest of the interviews were mostly behavioral. One interview was about reviewing your project that you wrote for the previous step. Interviewers gave really good insight into what they do everyday and the company itself. I was then usually asked about my app that I created. I'm not even sure if I was asked any direct Android questions (activity lifecycle, etc). I was always given time to ask questions myself about the company, which I appreciate a lot.

Every person I met was very nice to talk to and felt like I could really fit in. Had conversations about anime and video games with some. Even saw people playing smash bros around lunch time.

In the end, similar to other reviews you can read on here, I was turned down for not having enough experience. I also question why I was brought onsite, given that they knew my experience upfront. That being said, they were very nice to give me detailed feedback from the team. Most companies refuse to give any feedback at all. I would definitely interview again at WillowTree if given the chance.

Interview Questions

• One technical interview, one review of your test project (asked about why I made certain decisions), and the rest were just behavioral interviews. Honestly a lot of the interviews didn't feel like interviews. More like just talking shop and learning about each other. Seems like WillowTree really cares about culture fit. Can't put specific questions since I signed NDA.   Answer Question